Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

LODGE NORTH posted:

I'm honestly surprised no one is even biting at my $525 6S. It's unlocked and comes with the official case and it has no problems. I genuinely do not understand what is going on.

Cause I could go on swappa and buy one for $410

https://swappa.com/buy/apple-iphone-6s-a1688-unlocked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

LODGE NORTH posted:

I'm honestly surprised no one is even biting at my $525 6S. It's unlocked and comes with the official case and it has no problems. I genuinely do not understand what is going on.
You're gonna have to settle for sub-$500, most likely. The smarter move at this point is to snag a used 6 from someone, trade it in for the $650 credit with Verizon, T-Mo, or AT&T, and get an iPhone 7.

These trade-in offers are basically Cash for Clunkers for iPhones.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

LODGE NORTH posted:

Because they're going for $300-$400 in the US now.....

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I actually just now got an offer of 500 on it, so I'll probably take him up on that one.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

LmaoTheKid posted:

I just did this this week and am not looking back. I hate the Spotify app so much. It's battery draining ugly trash. I used SongShift to bring my playlists over and cancelled Spotify real fast.

No more "..." when I start the app with no service but want to listen to cached music.

Wait, does Spotify drain your battery faster than iTunes? Dammit. Also, how easy was it to use SongShift?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
All I know is I looked under the battery entry in settings and it showed Spotify at 40% when I had only listened to cached music and I switched the next day. SongShift was easy to use but cost a few bucks.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

I've been hearing a lot of people say that Spotify is somehow uglier or worse to use than Apple Music and I don't get that. I absolutely loving hate the visual approach Apple Music takes. It is well and truly poo poo. I don't know any album art of bands I like and anything that isn't pure text (or close to it) leading me places is annoying.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Can you control music on your computer from your phone with Apple Music yet? What about pause a song on one device and then pick it up on another. Spotify has the former feature and sort of has the latter (with the huge caveat that it only works about 10% of the time). Rdio did both pretty flawlessly but it was too perfect for this world.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

XyrlocShammypants posted:

I've been hearing a lot of people say that Spotify is somehow uglier or worse to use than Apple Music and I don't get that. I absolutely loving hate the visual approach Apple Music takes. It is well and truly poo poo. I don't know any album art of bands I like and anything that isn't pure text (or close to it) leading me places is annoying.

Good opinion, but I disagree.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Josh Lyman posted:

I'm on a grandfathered unlimited data ATT plan and pay $62/mo before taxes/fees with my FAN discount. I'm on a 6 so my contract is expiring, but since ATT isn't offering subsidized plans anymore, should I consider switching carriers? If not, should I buy a Verizon 7 for better resale?

I had this same revelation this morning when I called an AT&T store. gently caress US cellular carriers. Our absurd rates used to be balanced by the cheap subsidized phones, but now even that is gone. I kind of wanted to ask the guy what incentive I had to stay with AT&T since they're so desperate to gently caress me out of my grandfathered plan.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

The AUP is literally the best option. Not for you, but for everyone, really. You pay for the phone and then you just get the phone activated on your grandfathered plan (essentially putting the SIM in). Then you pay like maybe $4 more than Next people would and go about your day with your cheapest unlimited data plan.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe

drat Chinese families :argh:

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

LODGE NORTH posted:

The AUP is literally the best option. Not for you, but for everyone, really.

Is AUP supposed to stand for "Apple Upgrade Plan"? Because that only makes sense for people who want to change carriers through the coming years and are willing to pay $50/year more than someone on a Next contract for the privilege. Someone who isn't changing because they're grandfathered into a plan they won't let go of has less need for an unlocked phone. What are they going to do with it, go pay for data on Verizon?

I simply gave up unlimited data. The way those plans were priced were so that you were getting ripped off if you didn't have a phone under contract, as the price of the plans were priced so as to include payment toward a phone loan. If you didn't have a phone on loan, the price remained the same and it was assumed pure profit for the carrier. Now those costs are broken out; and you see exactly how much these zero-interest loans are costing you over a year or two years. And if you buy unlocked, you don't have to pay them at all.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
yuggggghh iOS 10's Messages app doesn't look good on 4 inch phones.This is starting to remind me of how nice Facebook Messenger was as a standalone app and how its bloated now.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

prom candy posted:

Can you control music on your computer from your phone with Apple Music yet? What about pause a song on one device and then pick it up on another. Spotify has the former feature and sort of has the latter (with the huge caveat that it only works about 10% of the time). Rdio did both pretty flawlessly but it was too perfect for this world.

I was a Rdio user but I got lured away by Google Music who had a promotion where I got $2 off their monthly rate forever. Sorta feel bad like I helped kill Rdio. I do miss those features you mention too. Especially the pause on one device and pickup elsewhere. Really weird that none of the services are really as good as Rdio, UI wise.

But otherwise I am happy with Google Music and like the UI well enough. I would say Apple Music is #2 then Spotify a distant 3rd, at least it was last time I tried their terrible app. I think the biggest knock on apple music is no web interface to use on whatever browser.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Craptacular! posted:

Is AUP supposed to stand for "Apple Upgrade Plan"? Because that only makes sense for people who want to change carriers through the coming years and are willing to pay $50/year more than someone on a Next contract for the privilege. Someone who isn't changing because they're grandfathered into a plan they won't let go of has less need for an unlocked phone. What are they going to do with it, go pay for data on Verizon?

I simply gave up unlimited data. The way those plans were priced were so that you were getting ripped off if you didn't have a phone under contract, as the price of the plans were priced so as to include payment toward a phone loan. If you didn't have a phone on loan, the price remained the same and it was assumed pure profit for the carrier. Now those costs are broken out; and you see exactly how much these zero-interest loans are costing you over a year or two years. And if you buy unlocked, you don't have to pay them at all.

The Upgrade Plan is just paying a monthly installment towards the phone's full price since that's essentially what you're buying. it comes with Applecare+ and you end up paying something like $360 - $420 over a year and then you have the option of trading your phone in for the new one. Next means giving up on unlimited data and whatever else you benefit from. JL has unlimited data for $62 a month and through Next, he'd have to pay at least, it looks like $90 for some data and then unlimited talk and text + no Applecare. You can get poo poo insurance through Asurion for 8 a month. So it's like 90 for the plan, 30 for the phone, and 8 for insurance. That's 128 a month for the phone. With his current plan and AUP, he gets the phone for 40 a month, 62 for unlimited data and better insurance/Applecare for free. That's 20+ less than Next and he benefits more.

He's grandfathered into data as well, he can't change his plan at all or he'll lose the benefits of having his plan. Verizon probably offers unlimited to some degree now, but I can guarantee it's probably twice as much as he's paying.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
AppleCare's primary benefit is a second year of warranty coverage, which is kind of useless if you're getting new hardware every year. The only other benefit is a reduction in the cost of repairing a cracked screen twice in a year, which is pretty minor.

quote:

and you end up paying something like $360 - $420 over a year and then you have the option of trading your phone in for the new one. Next means giving up on unlimited data and whatever else you benefit from. JL has unlimited data for $62 a month and through Next, he'd have to pay at least, it looks like $90 for some data and then unlimited talk and text + no Applecare. You can get poo poo insurance through Asurion for 8 a month. So it's like 90 for the plan, 30 for the phone, and 8 for insurance. That's 128 a month for the phone. With his current plan and AUP, he gets the phone for 40 a month, 62 for unlimited data and better insurance/Applecare for free. That's 20+ less than Next and he benefits more.

My point is that I used to have this same plan, and I looked at how much data I used and realized that, with the exception of a few peak months where I'd go over, I'd spend less on average to go with a limited plan month to month and just occasionally pay the overage a couple times a year. If you're averaging 25GB a month then there's still a case to use it, but it they have done a lot to make that unlimited plan unattractive (throttling at >25GB, for one) and the price for it, unless it's changed, was deliberately quite high to account for a phone subsidy they no longer issue. Unless they rescaled the price of the unlimited plans downward, it's very high for what you get, especially for someone with an unlocked/unsubsidized phone, and that's going to be everyone soon as they won't subsidize any more of those people. As you can't link a phone subsidy to your plan rate, that makes your plan rate a worse value, only buoyed by "this is theoretically priceless since you can't ask for it anymore."

I'm only trying to counter the internet's conventional wisdom that grandfathered unlimited plans are the SuperChrist UberKing Plans that you should hold onto until your knuckles turn white. They are for a small collective of the people who were originally grandfathered. I held onto mine for about two years unnecessarily, never using more than 3GB data in a month, because the internet told me to never let go of it since we'd by 2012 all be using 100GB+ weekly watching AppleFlix in streaming 8K video. That was two years of spending money on an unlimited plan while my data never raised above the limit of cheaper plans.

In exchange for paying less for more data than I usually use, I now can also tether my wifi tablet without an extra fee and make calls to Canada for free. With the addition of rolling data, my overage months are fewer and far between. Jumping off the unlimited cliff into the abyss of metered data isn't as bad as it used to be for the majority of people who aren't using LTE data as their home's primary internet connection, even if it's mostly because of competition from T-Mobile in the past few years.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Sep 10, 2016

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Yeah I'm probably going to have to dump my unlimited plan because these fuckmen are ruining it for me.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

prom candy posted:

Unfortunately not. For some reason Remote is still a separate app.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

3D Touch doesn't preview playlists anymore Apple what are you doinnnnn

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

various cheeses posted:

Yeah I'm probably going to have to dump my unlimited plan because these fuckmen are ruining it for me.

They've used a combination of carrot and stick, that's for sure. The original limited plans were bad, the original Next plans were worse, but by 2014 they began doing more and more to get your usual sub-15GB user to abandon unlimited.

When I was a Google fan, I used to have to buy iPhones and immediately sell them to buy Nexus phones unlocked, because if I didn't my rate remained the same regardless and the telco was pocketing the built-in debt payment portion of the bill. You were either perpetually locked in for two year windows or being ripped off. Now, anyone with an unsubsidized phone benefits from a lower monthly bill and can leave anytime.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

I'm looking at these AT&T plans and I think I'm going to be paying way more for less lol

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

various cheeses posted:

Why? Just buy a new phone outright and keep your current plan.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, if you have an original ATT unlimited plan (not the stupid direct TV one) you're in a pickle. ATT hates your guts as a customer, will actively try to force you to other plans, and won't give you any benefits.

The reason ATT hates people on those plans is because the plan is extremely cheap for its price, especially if you have like, the $5 texting option (instead of $20) and a FAN discount. The plan is $40 for mins, $35 for data and a work discount applies to both buckets, which is why a bunch of you are at like, $70 a month after tax. On both ATT and Verizon, that $70 only gets you 4GB ish on the new plans.

So basically, not much to do about it, cheap plan, only big downside is you have to buy a phone outright (and I guess no tethering).

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Is there any way to rename Memories in the new Photos Memories tab?

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

We are all quite capable of believing in anything as long as it's improbable.

Ham Wrangler

Duckman2008 posted:

Yeah, if you have an original ATT unlimited plan (not the stupid direct TV one) you're in a pickle. ATT hates your guts as a customer, will actively try to force you to other plans, and won't give you any benefits.

The reason ATT hates people on those plans is because the plan is extremely cheap for its price, especially if you have like, the $5 texting option (instead of $20) and a FAN discount. The plan is $40 for mins, $35 for data and a work discount applies to both buckets, which is why a bunch of you are at like, $70 a month after tax. On both ATT and Verizon, that $70 only gets you 4GB ish on the new plans.

So basically, not much to do about it, cheap plan, only big downside is you have to buy a phone outright (and I guess no tethering).

Yup, tried calling customer service but got the run around. Just bought the phone outright, I am not sure keeping the unlimited is worth it though, My wife and I use like 5gigs each but we could use less if we had to.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Duckman2008 posted:

Goddamn this is crazy. I can get gigabytes of data and loads of text and calls for like 20 dollars in the UK, and I don't even have to be on contract.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Nodelphi posted:

Yup, tried calling customer service but got the run around. Just bought the phone outright, I am not sure keeping the unlimited is worth it though, My wife and I use like 5gigs each but we could use less if we had to.

You can always use less if needed, but here's something to be said of not having to worry about it.

My family plan is 26GB. We use like, 12GB combined most months. I could go to the 18GB, but it's $10 total between everyone, so we each pay about $3 more a month, so if someone is traveling or something we have extra.

Lichy posted:

Goddamn this is crazy. I can get gigabytes of data and loads of text and calls for like 20 dollars in the UK, and I don't even have to be on contract.

American carriers are all way overpriced compared to Europe. The only real justification is that America has a lot more land to cover so in theory tower maintenance is higher, but I'm not qualified to confirm how real that issue is.

Canadian carriers are supposedly even worse.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Sep 10, 2016

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Lichy posted:

Yeah I'm on Three and I pay €20/mo for unlimited data, texts to anyone and calls to Three/ anyone on weekends. It's insanely cheap. I use so much data and I've never had any problems with Three. Before I had good broadband I used it as a hotspot all the time and guys I know used to use their Three sims for netflix and they never got throttled.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I dumped my ATT unlimited a year ago and never looked back. It's not a great deal unless you get one of those crazy govt discounts. Once your 2 years are up you still pay for the phone every month which is stupid.

Once I saw my data usage is under 5gigs a month on average it made sense.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
I just want to know what the gently caress Spotify is thinking with the "Your Library" label?

Look at that poo poo. Discover Weekly is way better than Apple's New Music Mix though, and you can play Spotify on a Roku or PS4 or something.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Bape Culture posted:

I'm giving my 6s to the Mrs when my 7 arrives. Can anyone recommend a good bumper case for the 6s as she's a clumsy moron and has broke all 3 I've passed on previously. Griffin survivor core but with a non scratch plastic would be good if such a thing exists? Any help much appreciated!

Anyone have any thoughts?

It seems like 90% of poo poo on the market is just re-branded alibaba 99p shite.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Bape Culture posted:

Anyone have any thoughts?

It seems like 90% of poo poo on the market is just re-branded alibaba 99p shite.

Is it?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

maduin posted:

I just want to know what the gently caress Spotify is thinking with the "Your Library" label?
And what's the deal with a save icon looking like a floppy disc?

My biggest gripes about Spotify are the previously mentioned (relatively) glacial start time and a really spergy super minor detail that drives me absolutely crazy -- the tri-tone bleep it plays when you pause/restart music.

Milosh
Oct 14, 2000
Forum Veteran
Anyone else switching back to the smaller phone after the 6+? I had to replace the 6+ 4x for bending :(

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Don't bend your poo poo

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Yeah.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Milosh posted:

Anyone else switching back to the smaller phone after the 6+? I had to replace the 6+ 4x for bending :(

Small phone for life, apple can piss off for fracturing the camera quality.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

In iOS 10, does turning off Apple Music still de-clutter the app? I liked how in iOS 9 I could turn off Apple Muisc and it'd simplify the menu to music, playlists and radio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

french toast
Jul 21, 2001
I EAT 3 CANADIAN CHILDREN EACH DAY!
I use around 10gb of data a month on my unlimited AT&T plan. I just checked the other plans and the plan they suggested I switch to actually cost more per month that my current plan. I just bough the 7 outright instead yesterday.