Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Klas
Sep 30, 2005
Operating.....done!

Baronjutter posted:

I came up with this

The only thing I see that would concern me is that the planes overlap so that the maneuvering in and out of the spots will be tricky without touching the neighboring planes. I've never heard of airplane lifts, but seems like a really clever solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Shoulda drafted a plan where they'd just land the planes directly on the top level.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

peanut posted:

You might also like...

Home of the Roma Kings

In a Romanian farm town, once itinerant traders have struck it rich, replacing caravans with mansions.

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2012/09/wealthy-roma/oneill-text

Google Street View

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

good god

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
so is that whole town a facade?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Looks like Wildwood

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFAZ3TL2NKM

incredible

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

That's still way better than the McMansions. At least they're sticking to classical architecture instead of ridiculous Frankenhouses.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

MrYenko posted:

This seriously needs its own thread. Where the hell are you doing this that simply buying/renting/building another hangar is more expensive than replicating the aircraft handling system from the USS Akron?

What the hell are they using to lift the aircraft with?

I HAVE SO MANY QUESTIONS

If I had the throw out an answer, it might be financing? Getting another hanger built and financed could be expensive if the airport charges a ton for the land and there isn't a big market for hangers at that airport for the bank to be ok financing all the improvements. At the same time, airplane lifts could be repoed and resold at a loss, but aren't tied to that one specific airport?

Spitballing here though.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

I love this because they are legitimate in their ugly. They know what they like, and they're doing it, society be damned. McMansions are almost all about doing what the poor and middle class think is 'fancy' and doing it as cheaply as possible. The Roma are just taking their style and upscaling it. If you downscaled a McMansion you'd have a pretty lovely RV.

wait poo poo mcmansions are just upscaled mid-range rv's WHAT

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
With the gypsy mansions, the article mentions that they made their fortune stealing metals from factories and whatnot after the collapse of the communist government.

What's especially hilarious is as you go up and down the road, you can see where they've stolen the metal roofs as well as anything that's not nailed down from their neighbours

https://goo.gl/maps/n2RPUxm5c4U2

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

It somehow looks Asian in styling, I wonder why?

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.

Suspect Bucket posted:

I love this because they are legitimate in their ugly. They know what they like, and they're doing it, society be damned. McMansions are almost all about doing what the poor and middle class think is 'fancy' and doing it as cheaply as possible. The Roma are just taking their style and upscaling it. If you downscaled a McMansion you'd have a pretty lovely RV.

wait poo poo mcmansions are just upscaled mid-range rv's WHAT

What you're describing is literally the exact definition (at least historically) of kitsch.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitsch

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Youth Decay posted:

That's still way better than the McMansions. At least they're sticking to classical architecture instead of ridiculous Frankenhouses.

From the looks of the abandoned ones scattered down that street, I think they're actually just remodeling standing classical buildings.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

OSU_Matthew posted:

With the gypsy mansions, the article mentions that they made their fortune stealing metals from factories and whatnot after the collapse of the communist government.

What's especially hilarious is as you go up and down the road, you can see where they've stolen the metal roofs as well as anything that's not nailed down from their neighbours

https://goo.gl/maps/n2RPUxm5c4U2

:yikes:

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

c0ldfuse posted:

What you're describing is literally the exact definition (at least historically) of kitsch.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitsch

Ha! It totally is. The mcmansion being a historical definition of cheap lovely mass market appeal, and the Roma being the incorrect modern 'oh poo poo brightly colored and tacky' one.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.

Suspect Bucket posted:

Ha! It totally is. The mcmansion being a historical definition of cheap lovely mass market appeal, and the Roma being the incorrect modern 'oh poo poo brightly colored and tacky' one.

Right, which is why the Roma stuff doesn't really bother many and the mcmansions are so abhorrent.

There are large tracts of housing development near my work in the last two years turning farmland into suburbia.

The thing that blows me away most isnt the hodge podge of windows but the complete lack thereof.

I'd rather live in 1200ft of a literal glass house than five times that space with the windows I see in the new builds.

It's like living in some sort of Sartre play, which based on the weird impulses driving people to buy them somehow makes them completely appropriate and truly a testament of our time.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Suspect Bucket posted:

Though, on reflection, I am reminded of the Old Faithful Inn in Yellowstone, which was built with intentionally off-kilter dormers. Then again, Old Faithful Inn is terrifyingly weird.

I described this to my husband as "if Miyazai set a movie in a late 19th century American national park."

And here is a small plumbing issue that I encountered today in the sculpture garden at the Nelson-Atkins Museum. It went on for at least two hours because I took this video on the way in and it was still going when I came out.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

30 Goddamned Dicks posted:

The thing that bugged me most about the Houston house was the random bench in the middle of the goddamn master bathroom. Like the long suffering gold digger wife put it there so when her octogenarian husband gets up in the middle of the night to take a poo poo he will trip over it, crack his head on the tub, and she can finally run off to Paris with Carlos the pool boy.

I dunno. Between the pommel horse with a goddamned block-and-tackle hanging above it, to the bathroom bench obviously for laying on and masturbating while your partner showers, I'm pretty sure this house has seen some kinky rear end poo poo. Perhaps owned by a couple of elderly BSDM enthusiasts, until the fateful day that a hip gave way during some suspension play, and now the kinky poo poo has to be done in a nursing home under medical supervision.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

c0ldfuse posted:

Right, which is why the Roma stuff doesn't really bother many and the mcmansions are so abhorrent.

There are large tracts of housing development near my work in the last two years turning farmland into suburbia.

The thing that blows me away most isnt the hodge podge of windows but the complete lack thereof.

I'd rather live in 1200ft of a literal glass house than five times that space with the windows I see in the new builds.

It's like living in some sort of Sartre play, which based on the weird impulses driving people to buy them somehow makes them completely appropriate and truly a testament of our time.

Windows are poor insulators. Less windows is good.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

give me the biggest loving columns you have

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

FCKGW posted:

Windows are poor insulators. Less windows is good.

Too few windows and your house becomes a cave. Most people don't like living in caves. Too many and you spend hundreds of dollars each month on climate control. As in most things, balance is key.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Too many windows and you'll too readily see your neighbors and other surroundings, thus leading you to realize that the estate your sweet mansion is on is actually just another lovely undersized lot in the middle of suburbia.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

give me the biggest loving columns you have

Martha they're removing that old city hall building and just throwing the columns out and by god I'm not going to let that happen!!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Lol that garage door by comparison...

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
What are these things and why do they seem to be all over the outside of every new commercial building that gets built near me lately?

My only guess is maybe for vines to climb up but why would EVERYWHERE do that?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Javid posted:

for vines to climb up

Plants are nice

http://www.ambius.com/blog/ultimate-guide-to-living-green-walls/

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Javid posted:

What are these things and why do they seem to be all over the outside of every new commercial building that gets built near me lately?

Maybe some kind of local tax incentive meant to result in a greener town?

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Well if you didnt want all that smoke damage you'd have gotten a smokeless alarm

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Javid posted:

Anti rpg armor like on mrap's

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Javid posted:

Local building regs specify something like "XYZ style grates over window frames on commercial building walls above ABC size".

Someone in the planning department is being literal and enforcing it even on walls that don't have windows.

E: And thankyou thread for introducing me to that McMansion site, some of the houses round here are infuriatingly ugly and now I know exactly which parts bother me about them. You'd think that'd make it worse, but I'm actually way happier now that I can say "If the roofline was lower and they unfucked those windows it wouldn't be too bad".

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Sep 12, 2016

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Javid posted:

It's a motherfucking trellis in a tacky trim frame. Probably most of the local commercial properties use the same couple of landscapers who suggest them to keep the places from looking like concrete blocks for dirt cheap.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Javid posted:

They could be low volt wiring for the battery powered egress lights. You know, the things that come on when the power goes out that are often attached to the EXIT signs.

Code says you have to light a "continuous path to safety" which includes outside of the door at a minimum. If there are steps or other potential hazards involved with getting far enough away form the building sometimes even more has to be lit outside. So if that's along a path it could be the case.

Edit: lol, you're talking about the trellises. Yes, that's what trellises are for.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Sep 12, 2016

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I'm the man confused how plants work

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Maybe if the plants fill the lattice, they will lower the solar gain on the wall and save some cooling costs?

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Too few windows and your house becomes a cave. Most people don't like living in caves.

It's a fashion thing. Paleo is in these days.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Maybe if the plants fill the lattice, they will lower the solar gain on the wall and save some cooling costs?

Maybe they'll grow climbing vegetables like cukes, tomatoes, and green beans and sell them to add to the profit margin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
The trellises would make sense if there were any suitable plants beneath them, instead of misc. shrubbery. My bed is on tax incentive for green buildings.

The exposed lighting wiring above each makes no sense tho.