Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

gnome7 posted:

I remember being excited about Thornwatch like, 5 years ago, when I was still following Penny Arcade for some reason, and when it was going to be a 4th Edition D&D heartbreaker with an interesting theme/setting.

Yeah, the original card-based character design RPG would have probably been... a first-time designer's attempt, but it could have developed into something interesting. I always felt like they were wanting to stretch their wings beyond PA but the risk is so high for them I can't imagine them actually doing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Diverting resources into building up a new brand for a tabletop rpg or a new ongoing comic would require a lot of energy and time they probably don't have now, anyway. This kickstarter reminded me that they were trying to launch a comic series about the boy scout branch of the thornwatch but I think that died after the first volume.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Nuns with Guns posted:

Diverting resources into building up a new brand for a tabletop rpg or a new ongoing comic would require a lot of energy and time they probably don't have now, anyway. This kickstarter reminded me that they were trying to launch a comic series about the boy scout branch of the thornwatch but I think that died after the first volume.

The comic was pretty decent, I am kind of sad they dropped it. Too bad they are basically killing the whole world of Thornwatch by being lovely about everything they touch. Kind of garbage golem meets poo poo golem, fall in love, have kids, get divorced kind of outcome here.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Awww yeah, time to get ready to ruuumbbble.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I don't know how popular it is around here, but the KS for the first major expansion for Tiny Epic Galaxies launched and is already like 600% funded.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
If you enjoy supporting games industry nepotism, Jordan Weisman's kid is running a kickstarter.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Peas and Rice posted:

If you enjoy supporting games industry nepotism, Jordan Weisman's kid is running a kickstarter.

That game looks like it would be fun once.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Evil Mastermind posted:

I don't know how popular it is around here, but the KS for the first major expansion for Tiny Epic Galaxies launched and is already like 600% funded.

I enjoyed TEG, but I have to wonder if this expansion would add too much clutter to a decent, quick game. Seems like it would no longer be in the "Tiny" category with all those extra cards and bits.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

berzerkmonkey posted:

I enjoyed TEG, but I have to wonder if this expansion would add too much clutter to a decent, quick game. Seems like it would no longer be in the "Tiny" category with all those extra cards and bits.

Also amusing because Tiny Epic Galaxies is already stretching the definition of "tiny" in regards to table space needed. With four players you'll take up as much space as an equivalent game of something like Smash Up. The expansion basically grows the TEG into a full-fledged tabletop game.

The Tiny Epic games get a rough rap around here but I maintain that Tiny Epic Kingdoms is an ideal way to introduce people to "real" board games.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Echophonic posted:

That game looks like it would be fun once.

Looks like a simple "take that!" game, which is probably fine for kids but not terribly interesting or innovative to hobby gamers.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Looks like a simple "take that!" game, which is probably fine for kids but not terribly interesting or innovative to hobby gamers.

IDK I'm still bitter at Chessex for sitting on the rights to one of my favorite take that games for the better part of 20 years.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

El Estrago Bonito posted:

IDK I'm still bitter at Chessex for sitting on the rights to one of my favorite take that games for the better part of 20 years.

Which one? I feel you, I imagine they're still sitting on the Jorune rights too.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
If you were holding off on backing the D13 / D15 kickstarter until you could get a complete set of all 20 dice that glow in the dark, have I got great news for you!

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Peas and Rice posted:

If you were holding off on backing the D13 / D15 kickstarter until you could get a complete set of all 20 dice that glow in the dark, have I got great news for you!

I'll never quite understand the appeal of glow in the dark components in games. Like, are there people who are ACTUALLY playing their game in the dark to get any value out of them? And for what amount of time would that actually be effective anyway? Or do people just like the soft whitish-greenish color of GITD stuff or something?

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
I'm sure that I'll use the glow in the dark feature as often as I'll use my D17. :getin:

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Lightning Lord posted:

Which one? I feel you, I imagine they're still sitting on the Jorune rights too.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/669/plague-pestilence

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Peas and Rice posted:

I'm sure that I'll use the glow in the dark feature as often as I'll use my D17. :getin:

It seems potentially useful if you drop your dice from the table and there are nooks for them to vanish into

Teh Madd Hatter
May 26, 2008

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Awww yeah, time to get ready to ruuumbbble.

I just picked this and the main book up today in pdf. Really excited to get it in front of my group and LET THE CREAM RISE TO THE TOP.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

In case people haven't been following it, Trudvang's now a really good deal. 6 physical books plus GM screen and other stuff for £60. I don't think I have that much spare cash lying around this month, but it's certainly worth looking at if you do.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Merauder posted:

I'll never quite understand the appeal of glow in the dark components in games. Like, are there people who are ACTUALLY playing their game in the dark to get any value out of them? And for what amount of time would that actually be effective anyway? Or do people just like the soft whitish-greenish color of GITD stuff or something?

I have a glow-in-the-dark Gamescience set (including such strictly necessary dice as the d3, d16, d24...) and a glow-in-the-dark FATE Cthulhu horror set. The main "use" is to flick off the power when you lose a die to find it, but it's mainly just a novelty, since most glow-in-the-dark paints require it to be pitch black for their light to be visible. But then, nearly all the dice marketed for the RPG hobby are novelty dice of one sort or another, given the variety of colors and styles out there.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

So in news related to kickstarters that would never be fufilled. I got all my tome of horrors 2 minis. Somehow despite literal bankruptcy and re-acquisition by a different company this product was produced and delivered before Far West.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Isaac Childres has put the full rulebook for Gloomhaven up in the most recent post on the kickstarter. It's pretty much sold me on the game. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1350948450/gloomhaven/posts/1677726

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Impermanent posted:

Isaac Childres has put the full rulebook for Gloomhaven up in the most recent post on the kickstarter. It's pretty much sold me on the game. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1350948450/gloomhaven/posts/1677726
I'm just happy and amazed to get a game in a box this big that weighs 19 pounds:

It's kind of insane.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I just recently moved out of an apartment complex and has a game ship via FedEx after I moved out and I didn't change the address for the order before it arrived. I have no idea if the apartment is holding it still. What are my odds that they still have it or if they returned it, would I know from the tracking number?

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Plague and Pestilence is legit fun, but not worth the ridiculous prices I've seen it going for. I also find it funny -- and a bit shocking -- that there's a review of it on BGG from 16 years ago. Then again, I suppose I bought my copy shortly after moving to Cincinnati, 22 years ago or so.

Actual TG Kickstarter chat: today I got two packages from DriveThru -- a corrected version of Fellowship (yay, working page numbers!) and a print copy of Fortitude: By the Docks of Big Lake. Both were nice surprises.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

JazzFlight posted:

I'm just happy and amazed to get a game in a box this big that weighs 19 pounds:

It's kind of insane.

Every single update makes me so loving happy I backed that game. Well, except for the over-bolding of every other phrase in the weekly updates. :psyduck:

Agrias120 fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Sep 11, 2016

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Is it still open to order?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
yep I just did today. and the bonus is that you'l get it when the kickstarter backers do, thanks to the pre-ordering.

Impermanent fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Sep 11, 2016

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
A remake of the Siege of the Citadel board game is up on Kickstarter. Looks pretty cool, especially if you're into mutant chronicles or warzone resurrection.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
So a friend just pointed me at this Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/738399654/synthicide-rpg

I only skimmed the beta rules myself, but at a glance it looks like a pretty old-school type of thing in a lot of ways - combat abilities are things like giving up accuracy for extra damage, dual-wielding smaller weapons for an extra attack per round at lowered accuracy; there are optional rules for "shock" and 1-hit KOs; and more of that sort of familiar business. The thing it's got going for it to make it not just another old-school game is its sci-fi setting and trappings.

Also, you'll see further down the KS that there are a few fun online generators that I really like - the Mission Generator in particular is fun to play around with. And the beta rules are all up for free, so you can flip through like I did before you decide. As far as I know, this is the dude's first RPG and first Kickstarter, but he has some sort of industry experience - his website says he worked with Rob Daviau in some capacity.

In my skimming, I saw enough to know that I wouldn't end up playing it (and thus didn't choose to back it), but maybe some of you will be interested if you like that type of game and if you like the setting.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

atholbrose posted:

Plague and Pestilence is legit fun, but not worth the ridiculous prices I've seen it going for. I also find it funny -- and a bit shocking -- that there's a review of it on BGG from 16 years ago. Then again, I suppose I bought my copy shortly after moving to Cincinnati, 22 years ago or so.

Actual TG Kickstarter chat: today I got two packages from DriveThru -- a corrected version of Fellowship (yay, working page numbers!) and a print copy of Fortitude: By the Docks of Big Lake. Both were nice surprises.

First printing is 1993. It's just a solid if not terribly deep game with really nice and cohesive art that had a criminally small print run. I would never pay the 100+ dollars it goes for.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Hasslefree just put up their first KS, which is for a series of characters that each come in 3 versions - properly attired for the role, pinup, and :stare:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hfminis/kev-white-does-matt-dixon-female-fantasy-miniature :nws: obviously

Hauki
May 11, 2010

NTRabbit posted:

Hasslefree just put up their first KS, which is for a series of characters that each come in 3 versions - properly attired for the role, pinup, and :stare:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hfminis/kev-white-does-matt-dixon-female-fantasy-miniature :nws: obviously

Out of a perverse curiosity I looked at the sculptors page and in all fairness to him there's quite a few 28mm cocks & sacks hanging out too. I'm not really sure that's for the better though.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Hauki posted:

Out of a perverse curiosity I looked at the sculptors page and in all fairness to him there's quite a few 28mm cocks & sacks hanging out too. I'm not really sure that's for the better though.

Depends how much of a prude you are really. There's apparently going to be a man in this KS as well.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Welp, I'll probably buy that because while they are trashy I've made a lot of scratch painting and selling the mostly nude Hasslefree figs on the ebays.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

On the subject of minis, https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1904826165/the-quest-enhanced-dragon-dwarves-elves-miniatures?ref=recs_top

Tempted by that wizard, though 35mm is a bit too large to make proper use of in most of my games.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Zark the Damned posted:

On the subject of minis, https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1904826165/the-quest-enhanced-dragon-dwarves-elves-miniatures?ref=recs_top

Tempted by that wizard, though 35mm is a bit too large to make proper use of in most of my games.

Maybe he played varsity basketball before deciding to accept the scholarship to the magic college

Hauki
May 11, 2010

NTRabbit posted:

Depends how much of a prude you are really. There's apparently going to be a man in this KS as well.

I mean I wouldn't call myself a prude, but I generally prefer my nudity in forms other than tiny resin mans, and I reserve the use of tiny resin mans as game pieces where I don't really see the need for titties & dicks.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

NTRabbit posted:

Maybe he played varsity basketball before deciding to accept the scholarship to the magic college

Next character concept found.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Someone asked why people would want nude minis at all, and I said I could use them to practice sculpting clothes onto if I continue with that class I took at GenCon and oh god now I'm considering getting nude minis what the gently caress is wrong with me, HELP.