Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

JackBobby posted:

Buzzard is the best bar in Westport. Or at least the only one that doesn't feel like a frat party. Cheap beer, good rowdy crowd. Not a fan of all the new development in the parking lot but whatever.

All I've been to in Westport is the Riot Room, which makes me sound like way more of a metal fan than I actually am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackBobby
Feb 26, 2016

:rock:

KC is a good town, but it has it can be pretty southern for better or worse.

Probably Magic posted:

All I've been to in Westport is the Riot Room, which makes me sound like way more of a metal fan than I actually am.

Riot Room is awesome. Scene kids and DJ sets- a nice change of pace in KC. Last time I was there I saw Pallbearer, and they were killer.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
I haven't been to a show at Riot in forever but I think my last one was DJ Q*Bert and that was pretty great

Jared Kush
Mar 4, 2015

by zen death robot

blue squares posted:

Chance the Rapper is cool and good. My rappers.txt:

VVVVV added. This is the best day ever

Outkast and J-Live are good but I'm not going to lie that's honestly not a very exciting list of hip hop artists, there isn't anything on there I would say is essential. You pretty much can't go wrong with most stuff from before the past couple years when the industry figured out that homosexuality is like catnip to white people and they want to roll around on Thug's dress and rub their faces on it.

Bandiet
Dec 31, 2015

T r a v i s posted:

Outkast and J-Live are good but I'm not going to lie that's honestly not a very exciting list of hip hop artists, there isn't anything on there I would say is essential. You pretty much can't go wrong with most stuff from before the past couple years when the industry figured out that homosexuality is like catnip to white people and they want to roll around on Thug's dress and rub their faces on it.

I was reading the first sentence of this T r a v i s post and I wondered why there wasn't anything bigoted yet.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

blue squares posted:

I'm surprised Kanye never put out a concert film

I was really expecting one from the last tour given how much money got spent on the set alone.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

T r a v i s posted:

yeah tbh I'm out of the loop and am only barely beginning to get back into the swing of things so my list is outdated

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

^burtle posted:

I was really expecting one from the last tour given how much money got spent on the set alone.

Hype Williams shot one but it never got released. I think the glow in the dark tour was filmed too.

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015

T r a v i s posted:

stfu idiot. lol

if youve never listened to rap you should start by listening to more people that sound like the people you enjoy. for outkast you should definitely hear ugks entire discog and goodie mobs first two albums, which are all important and great. depending on what you like out of those, youll probably like scarface, three 6 mafia, jeezy, ti, etc if you like ugk a lot and youll probably like big krit, bob, lupe fiasco, and a lot of political stuff if you like the goodies.

for kanye if you want more like his early work listen to the rest of rocafella discog, especially camron beanie and jay-z, who were all on fire from 00-05 give or take. for 808s sounding stuff, listen to kid cudi and probably drake. for mbdtf you might like some of rick ross's stuff but honestly nothing sounds like mbdtf. for yeezus youd probably like saul williams and dalek, and maybe death grips and clipping. for his most recent somebody already mentioned chance the rapper but the rest of the save money people and noname gypsy are all similar sounds. theres a lot happening in chicago now and almost all of it owes some debt to kanye, so if you want to explore him some more its a good place to start.

for kendrick, the biggest influence on his sound and voice is lil wayne. lil waynes run of drought -> drought 2 -> prefix -> carter 1 -> suffix -> carter 2 -> dedication -> dedication 2 -> like father like son -> drought 3 -> carter 3 -> no ceilings is probably the craziest run in rap history and had him basically rise from trivia question to megastar in a 6 year span (but start with carter 2 and drought 3). other big influences on kendrick were 2pac (you should hear all eyez on me) and nas (illmatic). theres a whole slew of west coast guys who factor into his sound as well, but those are two youll probably be able to enjoy a lot since you like what kendrick has to say.

its good that youre listening to rap because its the best genre of music.

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015
e: also the most important thing about rap music is to approach with zero preconceptions. you may not agree with anything about an artists image or lifestyle or pov, but from that you can gain insight into something beyond what you would get without exposure to their art. rap music demands subjectivity more than any other genre of music before or since. im jealous that you get to enjoy that journey for the first time now that so much of the genre is readily available and accessible, and the pool of available rap history is so much deeper than it was 10 years ago.

another important thing about rap music: there are very few writers who do it justice. andrew 'noz' nosnitsky is the best, but he barely writes anymore. byron crawford is great, but he rarely gets serious and mostly fucks around (which is still great). andrew weiss is ok but is very white and academic. thats about it for pre-eminent rap scholars. the genre is always going to be very youthful by its nature and thats not a bad a thing. but a lot of the writers out there are going to represent either a very "woke" boring attitude that refuses to approach rap on its own terms, or an old crusty east-coast attitude that doesnt like anything unless its focused on sounding like something biggie would have said 20 years ago. so when youre looking for rap articles or lists or whatever else to further research the greatest genre of music, take it with a grain of salt that youre going to encounter a ton of both of these archetypes, and they both have agendas.

anyway thats a lot of words but i felt like writing. outkast kendrick and kanye are all great gateway artists and i hope you enjoy the music you discover.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I really appreciate that you took the time to write all of that out! I read every bit of it.

Why do you think that those problems with rap writing exist? Could it be due to a regressive industry problems in music journalism/scholarship?

Also, what do you mean by rap requiring more subjectivity than any other genre. I'm thinking of something like jazz, which often has no lyrics, meaning the range of interpretations of a particular song might be wider than those of a particular rap song.

EMoney
Jul 19, 2004
https://www.instagram.com/p/BKHLIADjP9l/?taken-by=bigghostltd&hl=en

bigghostltdIf you still dont believe that Kim K n her family singlehandedly ruined one of the greatest album runs ever seen in Rap n transformed the most creatively gifted n bold genius in music of the past 20 years from a bratty rear end no filter havin childlike visionary who blessed the culture wit at least 4 classics into a whiny rear end no filter havin divalike curator of #fuckery who convinced the now hipster infested n Rolling Stone-approved👍🏻 hip hop world that #Yeezus was a great album....then Ionno what to tell you b. I assume you only started fuckin wit rap after the #Kardashian sisters switched interest from ruining the careers of ball players to ruining the careers of rappers or jus embracing already existing #trash ones. Speakin of which.. We already kno how this poo poo happened but it still qualifies as the biggest L #Kanye ever took. Kim probably turned to Yeezy one night in bed n said OH HEY YANNO MY LITTLE SISTERS BOYFRIEND MICHAEL? HE IS SUCH A BIG FAN OF YOURS BAE. IT WOULD BE REALLY SUPER LIT IF YOU 2 COULD HANG OUT...HE WANTS TO BE A RAPPER TOO... Im sure Kanye had to really ponder that poo poo tho.. YOU MEAN THAT CREEPY rear end DUSTY MUTHAFUCKA WIT THE EMBRYO FACE N HAIRPLUGS ALWAYS HANGIN OUT ASKIN ME TO LISTEN TO HIS MIXTAPES? *Kanye shrug*...AIGHT WHATEVER.. n ever since then the phoney cosigns n artificial appreciation for the worst rapper alive has been ON... Muthafuckas even got Kanye to "executive produce" the latest collection of sonic dumpster juice that that waste of perfectly donate-able human organs polluted the world wit namsayin. So thats how Tyga aka the aborted fetus of talent itself came to be signed by #GOODmusic.. Lets not blame Pusha-T when we kno drat well that aint his doin. Pusha signed the Amigos n Remiinder.. Aight coo whatever. But Tyga? Naw no way b. Its no logical reason for anybody to draw that conclusion yo. That aint his kin...this some nepotism poo poo b. Lets blame Kim...or Kris "Satan" Jenner...or the poster child for teen cosmetic surgery n body image issues Kylie. At the very least blame Kanye for lettin these women press him nahmean. If you wanna go wit the scientific answer blame Brandy's brother for this poo poo. Anyways gently caress rap b..

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015
wrt question 1: there are two reasons. the first is that we're in an era that doesnt support journalism very much on a broader scale. the second is that a lot of rap doesnt have any commentary written about it. when new songs (or albums or tapes) come out, they usually just get posted with no additional context (which perpetuates the notion that most of the music is disposable but thats another huge problem not really worth getting into here). the big rap magazines (xxl, the source) have all gone online and have mostly turned into trash, but theres a thoughtful article here and there if you hunt.

wrt question 2: maybe subjective what the wrong word. i was thinking more of the reason rap gets so much flack for all the "bitches and bling and cars and drugs etc". a lot of the subject matter in the music you will disagree with, and there will be a lot of points of view that you may even vehemently oppose. but the music made can still be incredible and important, and once you start drawing lines about whats acceptable subject matter and what isnt, youre going to run into a lot of bigger problems ("is homophobia really more of an issue than the destruction of black communities by drugs/drug dealers?"). thats all i meant by it.

not going to post about this anymore because its a big enough derail. kanye ftw

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

EMoney posted:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BKHLIADjP9l/?taken-by=bigghostltd&hl=en

bigghostltdIf you still dont believe that Kim K n her family singlehandedly ruined one of the greatest album runs ever seen in Rap n transformed the most creatively gifted n bold genius in music of the past 20 years from a bratty rear end no filter havin childlike visionary who blessed the culture wit at least 4 classics into a whiny rear end no filter havin divalike curator of #fuckery who convinced the now hipster infested n Rolling Stone-approved👍🏻 hip hop world that #Yeezus was a great album....then Ionno what to tell you b. I assume you only started fuckin wit rap after the #Kardashian sisters switched interest from ruining the careers of ball players to ruining the careers of rappers or jus embracing already existing #trash ones. Speakin of which.. We already kno how this poo poo happened but it still qualifies as the biggest L #Kanye ever took. Kim probably turned to Yeezy one night in bed n said OH HEY YANNO MY LITTLE SISTERS BOYFRIEND MICHAEL? HE IS SUCH A BIG FAN OF YOURS BAE. IT WOULD BE REALLY SUPER LIT IF YOU 2 COULD HANG OUT...HE WANTS TO BE A RAPPER TOO... Im sure Kanye had to really ponder that poo poo tho.. YOU MEAN THAT CREEPY rear end DUSTY MUTHAFUCKA WIT THE EMBRYO FACE N HAIRPLUGS ALWAYS HANGIN OUT ASKIN ME TO LISTEN TO HIS MIXTAPES? *Kanye shrug*...AIGHT WHATEVER.. n ever since then the phoney cosigns n artificial appreciation for the worst rapper alive has been ON... Muthafuckas even got Kanye to "executive produce" the latest collection of sonic dumpster juice that that waste of perfectly donate-able human organs polluted the world wit namsayin. So thats how Tyga aka the aborted fetus of talent itself came to be signed by #GOODmusic.. Lets not blame Pusha-T when we kno drat well that aint his doin. Pusha signed the Amigos n Remiinder.. Aight coo whatever. But Tyga? Naw no way b. Its no logical reason for anybody to draw that conclusion yo. That aint his kin...this some nepotism poo poo b. Lets blame Kim...or Kris "Satan" Jenner...or the poster child for teen cosmetic surgery n body image issues Kylie. At the very least blame Kanye for lettin these women press him nahmean. If you wanna go wit the scientific answer blame Brandy's brother for this poo poo. Anyways gently caress rap b..

Nice meltdown

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015
big ghost is an old crusty idiot

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hasn't anyone told him that Yeezus is actually good

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008

Escobarbarian posted:

Hasn't anyone told him that Donald glover's rapping is bad

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
remember when big ghost was funny and not just a crotchety old dude who posts #1GottaGo memes all day long

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Also white dude from canada.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Is that confirmed? I recall speculation it was dong lover himself

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
Dong lovers not a great rapper but his new show is great

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

blue squares posted:

I really appreciate that you took the time to write all of that out! I read every bit of it.

Why do you think that those problems with rap writing exist? Could it be due to a regressive industry problems in music journalism/scholarship?

Also, what do you mean by rap requiring more subjectivity than any other genre. I'm thinking of something like jazz, which often has no lyrics, meaning the range of interpretations of a particular song might be wider than those of a particular rap song.

FYI I actually disagree with a lot of the connections in there w/r/t what you were liking, but there's a lot of good info in general that if you're really interested in getting into rap it's a good starting place. not to toot my own horn but I also did a bit of a writeup in the rap thread first post about different stuff to look for (and I got sample links for a lot of the dudes that ol yeller mentioned).

for the first question, a large part of the problem is that about the only profitable writing done now for music is either clickbaitish type poo poo or stuff that's targeting middle-class young white folks which means you're gonna get largely outsider perspectives. noz has touched on this a bit in various places but there's basically little market for more serious discussion of rap music, especially the more mainstream/"street" elements. and what does get posted oftentimes looks less like a critical examination or actual engagement with the subject and more like someone explaining zoo exhibits. For instance when Chief Keef was first coming up and getting known, someone at pitchfork actually thought it was a good idea to take a young black kid from an area known for extreme gun violence to a shooting range as part of some story. Of course he was on probation and actually ended up getting put in juvenile detention over the incident but it's that kind of total detachment that permeates a lot of rap writing.

and the second thing dude pretty much covered but i would like to state it's perfectly fine to not wanna listen to a bunch of gangsta stuff or whatever. i grew up on it and i get tired of it a lot myself. that said just because someone is just talking about street poo poo or money or w/e else don't automatically discount the music is basically the point, nor should someone whose some rappity rap supperrapping lyrical miracle necessarily be elevated just because they use more words or whatever. and definitely don't get mad about some dude saying human being when you're perfectly fine wiht him talking about murdering whole neighborhoods of black folks or w/e, that's a bad look.

Tremendous Taste posted:

Is that confirmed? I recall speculation it was dong lover himself
all that speculation was pretty much just from one cypher review where dude said that donglover was pretty good (and the fact that donglover's a joke, of course). and some of the poo poo he says is funny occasionally but his act is tired as gently caress and dude's tastes seem stuck largely in the late 90's early 00's.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I took a really great AfroAmerican studies course in college called "The Poetry of Rap," the professor wrote a book that touches on a lot of the same content as the class. Looking at rap through a literary lens and viewing it as just an off-shoot of poetry definitely changed how I digest it.

JackBobby
Feb 26, 2016

big ghost used to be hilarious, but his shtick is cornier than half the poo poo he complains about these days. the complaints about "softness" and masculinity feel outdated compared to just 5 years ago which I think means the culture has had something of a sea change for the better. long way to go still of course.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I think there's a legitimate criticism that the "softening" of rap is linked to its commodification but you're much more likely to hear about how young thug has faggy dresses instead of tims so he isn't hip hop

JackBobby
Feb 26, 2016

bingo. i'm not a drake or j cole fan but their are better ways to criticize them. i think the word fag falling out of usage is pretty indicative of what i'm talking about. like it pops up on acid rap and feels pretty out of place- a few years later and I don't think chance would have a line like that all. compare that to like early 2000s DMX :stare:

I'm a fan of X and that whole period in general but I can see stuff like that being a barrier of entry for people. it's the kind of thing you can't really defend just accept as a sign of the times and for some people it's not worth it to be able to appreciate jedi mind tricks or whatever.

Jared Kush
Mar 4, 2015

by zen death robot
That's so great, hopefully they stop saying the N word next so white people can feel even more comfortable rapping along with their favorite lyrics about selling drugs and pimping hoes.

JackBobby
Feb 26, 2016

yeah that's why i usually have my mom buy me the edited versions

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

JackBobby posted:

I'm a fan of X and that whole period in general but I can see stuff like that being a barrier of entry for people. it's the kind of thing you can't really defend just accept as a sign of the times and for some people it's not worth it to be able to appreciate jedi mind tricks or whatever.

this is pretty much the exact thing i was talking about earlier. good thing all those scary negroes have moved passed using "fag" so much so little bobby can guiltlessly listen to them talking about murdering, prostituting, and selling drugs to each other. heaven forbid something get in the way of his poverty tourism!

JackBobby
Feb 26, 2016

alansmithee posted:

this is pretty much the exact thing i was talking about earlier. good thing all those scary negroes have moved passed using "fag" so much so little bobby can guiltlessly listen to them talking about murdering, prostituting, and selling drugs to each other. heaven forbid something get in the way of his poverty tourism!

you're right. i think its a good thing that its less common to call a rapper (or anyone) gay or feminine because they dress different, act different, whatever. i didn't mean to imply that DMX would somehow be more palatable if he didn't say human being when he's talking about killing for money. or that push talking about moving weight is good clean fun as long as he keeps it PC. i think both of those guys make visceral art that can be challenging, threatening, and aesthetically appealing. i agree that i'm guilty of cultural tourism to an extent- i've never lived in extreme poverty, and i certainly can't understand what its like to be black in america. i'm drawn to art that explores those issues because i think they are the defining issues of our time.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I'm doing my first listen of MBDTF. Is all the crackling in the audio I hear intentional? I've got really nice equipment and I don't hear anything on my other album's.

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015
never really noticed crackling, but thats mostly because ive always played it super loud lol

i envy you so much for being able to hear that album for the first time

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
No cracking for me

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
The mastering on the album is really questionable to begin with and then IIRC the Spotify version sounds really bad for some reason, if that happens to be where you're listening to it

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

obliriovrons posted:

The mastering on the album is really questionable to begin with and then IIRC the Spotify version sounds really bad for some reason, if that happens to be where you're listening to it

It is. It was very distracting :(

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

blue squares posted:

I'm doing my first listen of MBDTF. Is all the crackling in the audio I hear intentional? I've got really nice equipment and I don't hear anything on my other album's.

yes this drove me loving insane when i first got the album. i bought multiple copies because i was hoping one wouldnt have that problem before realizing it was intentional. i think it is the only bad choice made on the whole thing.

if you download pre-release versions of some of the songs that came out before like Monster the static isnt present.

Im guessing ye was trying to achieve some sort of old timey analog feel but it just sounds bad. He makes some really questionable mixing decisions imo like turning vocals white hot until they practically start to distort

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I'm grabbing a lossless version so I can do a side-by-side comparison between it and Spotify.

yeah sounds exactly the same to me. I'll have to get used to it. It probably won't bother me as much in the future. I listened to the whole thing while lying on my bed with the lights off, really focusing on the music. Next time I won't be concentrating so much on it.

blue squares fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Sep 10, 2016

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
how'd you like it outside of the mastering

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I loved everything other than that issue. I'm not a music expert or even very knowledgeable, but I feel like Kanye is a master of timing. When he does unorthodox stuff with his songs, he knows just the right amount of time to hang on each element without any of them getting irritating or repetitive (except for the bizarre mastering). I don't feel like I grasped the themes of the album, because I spent a lot of time thinking full sentences in my head about the music choices rather than listening to the words as they came (or wondering what was up with the quality). I definitely need to do another full listen where I pay close attention to the lyrics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk
Isn't the reason the mastering is messed up on it because Kanye became obsessed with having it sound louder than Jay's stuff?

• Locked thread