Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

The women are converted from Copplestone Casting's "Gun Molls"
I had limited resources available for conversion, so the masks and hooks are made from scraps of plasticard. The pipe is made from bits of sprues and greenstuff. The weird facial growths are greenstuff. There's a couple of hand swaps sourced from Frostgrave bits.

That is some good mod work! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Odd question, but I'm painting some space ships for Dropfleet Commander and I normally like to weather the poo poo out of my vehicles and make em dirty. How would I weather a spaceship? it isn't going to get dirty in space, or at least not much right? Anyone got any good game/mini examples for me to reference off? I've been looking at Homeworld art and stuff for some inspiration too.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Heat-staining around the engines? Maybe some grit/battle damage from smacking into asteroids?

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

Space Debris is real and it fucks stuff up super hard

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

OK this I should have thought of, cheers dude, this is good reference.

SteelMentor posted:

Heat-staining around the engines? Maybe some grit/battle damage from smacking into asteroids?
Yeah I felt a bit dumb because I normally do scorch/burns on engines or laser barrels and blacked out muzzles on guns but started to question whether you'd get that on a spaceship.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
From a realistic standpoint, the ISS still looks loving pristine on the outside. The shuttles had some weathering but that was from the atmospheric parts of their flights. It might not be 100% fluff accurate but you could do blackened bows and stuff on any atmospheric craft.

Other than that i'd say stick to normal techniques like small scale chipping, front to back streaking and staining around any thrusters or vents.

Some quick digging got me a Viper and a Snowspeeder i liked:

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

That Viper is quite tasty, I'll have a play when I get home for some ideas and inspiration. Though my scheme is a fairly dark grey already, so I'm curious how it's going to come out.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Another thing might be blast scarring. Like if you take a big hit and your shields stop ... most of it.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Only one of the factions actually has shields but if you want to go the battle damage route you could probably have a lot of fun coming up with effects from scourge and shaltari weapons.
http://massivevoodoo.blogspot.de/2014/02/tutorial-using-superglue-for-structure.html

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Solar radiation is actually a bitch on paint.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Only took me 3 months, but I finished these trees for my somewhat stalled Sylvaneth army.

Not completely happy with the leaves, think picking some out in darker/lighter shades and some purples might help, give them a edge with the Fulgrim Pink/Delchala Lilac on the sharpest points.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

SteelMentor posted:

Only took me 3 months, but I finished these trees for my somewhat stalled Sylvaneth army.

Not completely happy with the leaves, think picking some out in darker/lighter shades and some purples might help, give them a edge with the Fulgrim Pink/Delchala Lilac on the sharpest points.

Holy crap :eyepop:

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I finished Wrongeye & Snapjaw, lesser warlock and his beast buddy, for my slow grow Minions force.

Voodoo gatorman with super annoying spells and a big old beatstick beast to tag along with him :hellyeah:

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Its a gorgeous base, but I do agree that the leaves could stand to get some variation; currently it looks a little like pink bark.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Voodoo witch doctor gator owns, and those pink trees are pretty.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

SRM was telling me I don't necessarily need to seal my gremlins because they're plastic. Is this true? I'd love not to worry about sealing them but I'm nervous they'll chip or whatever.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
You'll probably be fine if they're transported safely and you used a good primer as a base. Plastics are hardy.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I've only had metallic paints on the very edges of things wear off models I hadn't sealed, and that's only when I'm painting them, where I'll be holding a model by the base and some metallic bauble on his back or something. It takes a lot to run paint off plastic, and so long as you use a decent primer you'll be okay. I'd seal anything primed with Army Painter's stuff though, I've had way too much chipping with that stuff, even through multiple layers of gloss and matte varnish.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Vitamin P posted:

I'm really enjoying your adventures in 15mm and they are appealing for Frostgrave.

Mainly that's because I'm picturing how the terrain could be relatively larger too, make the frozen city look epic.

Thanks!

Enjoy this 15mm wizard from demon world. Probably the most detailed mini at this scale I've seen

You can see it with a better paint job (and a truly horrid base) here:

http://www.ralparthaeurope.co.uk/sh...rey-p-2792.html

Nebalebadingdong fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Sep 11, 2016

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Nebalebadingdong posted:

You can see it with a better paint job (and a truly horrid base) here:

http://www.ralparthaeurope.co.uk/sh...rey-p-2792.html

The 15mm Frostgrave temptation is growing, what are you using as bases for your dudes?

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Vitamin P posted:

The 15mm Frostgrave temptation is growing, what are you using as bases for your dudes?

Reaper 20mm round

http://www.miniaturemarket.com/rpr74041.html

They're good bases for 15 mm stuff, but the demon world minis are sculpted onto 10mm round already. So I either remove that base or create an insert into the reaper base. Lotta extra work, so I would recommend looking for something else if get demon world minis.

The demon world and blight haven stuff at Ral Partha is really good overall. You can get single minis, command groups and hero collections for reasonable prices which are perfect for skirmish games.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Reaper 20mm round

http://www.miniaturemarket.com/rpr74041.html

They're good bases for 15 mm stuff, but the demon world minis are sculpted onto 10mm round already. So I either remove that base or create an insert into the reaper base. Lotta extra work, so I would recommend looking for something else if get demon world minis.

The demon world and blight haven stuff at Ral Partha is really good overall. You can get single minis, command groups and hero collections for reasonable prices which are perfect for skirmish games.

Spackle/Wood filler/Pumice/Fiber Paste is what you want.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I got to bust out my bits box and go to town making a cool squad of blinged out Tactical Veterans for my Ultras:

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Those veterans own, SRM owns, everything owns.

rjderouin
May 21, 2007
Glad to see that after a few years of being away SRM is still making great looking models. Anyway, been painting up some Ultra's and now that I have an airbrush have decided I want to do my shoulder pads with stencils. After some moderate googling was not able to find a decent go to resource for stencils, anyone know of a good place to download some? In addition is there a good way to get a reusable stencil so I can get about 40 marines done? I suppose I would need the arrow and the Ultra symbol.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Stencils would be difficult to use well unless you can print on a sticky vinyl of some sort with a laser. The roundedness of the shoulder pad means standard stencils don't work well.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

rjderouin posted:

Glad to see that after a few years of being away SRM is still making great looking models. Anyway, been painting up some Ultra's and now that I have an airbrush have decided I want to do my shoulder pads with stencils. After some moderate googling was not able to find a decent go to resource for stencils, anyone know of a good place to download some? In addition is there a good way to get a reusable stencil so I can get about 40 marines done? I suppose I would need the arrow and the Ultra symbol.

These guys are where you want to go:
http://www.fallouthobbies.com/
They have Ultramarines stencils for vehicles, and everything's reusable. I don't think they have infantry sized ones but you could definitely custom order some since they already have the designs and they're open to custom orders, or you can learn to use transfers.

rjderouin
May 21, 2007
I know how to use transfers but I actually think you told me on Eternity of War something that always stuck with me. I don't put anything on my model I didn't paint myself. And that has for whatever reason stuck with me. Thanks for the link, contacted them about getting some customer shoulder pad ones done.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

SRM posted:

These guys are where you want to go:
http://www.fallouthobbies.com/
They have Ultramarines stencils for vehicles, and everything's reusable. I don't think they have infantry sized ones but you could definitely custom order some since they already have the designs and they're open to custom orders, or you can learn to use transfers.

Oh man, those vehicle camo stencils look so great and I'd love to use them to dolly up my Russes and other vehicles. Until I realize I don't have an airbrush which makes getting them kind of moot I guess.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

SRM posted:

I got to bust out my bits box and go to town making a cool squad of blinged out Tactical Veterans for my Ultras:

gently caress yeah

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Cooked Auto posted:

Oh man, those vehicle camo stencils look so great and I'd love to use them to dolly up my Russes and other vehicles. Until I realize I don't have an airbrush which makes getting them kind of moot I guess.

You can use em with regular sprays too when you're basing stuff. I'd get a couple cans of brown, green, and black sprays and go to town.

A bunch of my yellows and oranges have all gone bad. I don't know if it's always been this way or it's just the yellow pigment GW uses these days, but my pots of Squig Orange, Flash Gitz Yellow, and Yriel Yellow are all bubbly, slightly colored water, with a bunch of chunky goop at the bottom I can't really use. I think they're all from about 2-3 years ago so it's not like they have the worst shelf life, but I've got old Foundation paints and hexpots that I've had for a decade that are still fine, albeit in different colors.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

SRM posted:

You can use em with regular sprays too when you're basing stuff. I'd get a couple cans of brown, green, and black sprays and go to town.

That is true. Even if I'd probably just go with black over green since that's what my vehicles are based with.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

SRM posted:

A bunch of my yellows and oranges have all gone bad. I don't know if it's always been this way or it's just the yellow pigment GW uses these days, but my pots of Squig Orange, Flash Gitz Yellow, and Yriel Yellow are all bubbly, slightly colored water, with a bunch of chunky goop at the bottom I can't really use. I think they're all from about 2-3 years ago so it's not like they have the worst shelf life, but I've got old Foundation paints and hexpots that I've had for a decade that are still fine, albeit in different colors.

Sounds like a bad batch or something, I've had Flash Gitz for a few years and had no problems with it.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

SRM posted:

The current pots are poo poo and not at all airtight. It's probably separating and drying out at the same time. Try storing them upside down, I've been told that slows the drying out.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

The current pots are poo poo and not at all airtight. It's probably separating and drying out at the same time. Try storing them upside down, I've been told that slows the drying out.

Agreedo on the new gw paints being pretty gross. I have a couple but try to stick to Vallejo model color and game color when I can.

On that front, anyone know what the difference is between vmc and vgc?

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
VGC is more durable than VMC and is designed to mimic the old GW line (which Coat d'Arms still produces). The durability only matters if you don't varnish your figures.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Ah ok good. I varnish to hell and back so gently caress it

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Thing is, the only paints of mine that have had that happen are yellows and oranges, and one kinda yellowy green. Yellow's a lovely pigment but man it sucks when a pot goes bad.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Talking of paints going bad etc., does anyone know of a good replacement for Gretchin Green (old GW Foundation) - my pot's down to its last dregs and I still have a ton of Grots, Gnoblars and Goblins to paint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Zark the Damned posted:

Talking of paints going bad etc., does anyone know of a good replacement for Gretchin Green (old GW Foundation) - my pot's down to its last dregs and I still have a ton of Grots, Gnoblars and Goblins to paint.

Death World Forest is the current GW equivalent AFAIK.