Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

The Gunslinger posted:

FWIW my Harmony Smart Control does this already and it was $99 when I bought it.

I'll be damned. Thanks man! So the PS4 is even worse to control than the PS3? Mine does fine but I got one of the discontinued IR hub things that plugs into the PS3 for the way over priced amount of $50.96.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Croatoan posted:

I'll be damned. Thanks man! So the PS4 is even worse to control than the PS3? Mine does fine but I got one of the discontinued IR hub things that plugs into the PS3 for the way over priced amount of $50.96.

Harmony hub is the best poo poo ever. I use one in my closet. Controls a ps4, xbone, receiver, tivo, and xbmc box. You can even use it as a virtual keyboard for devices that support bluetooth keyboards (via the smartphone app)

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Croatoan posted:

It basically registers itself as a bluetooth keyboard to the PS4. It works fine but like I said, it can't power up the PS4 which is loving stupid. I hope Logitech just says gently caress you to Sony and mimics the calls from their official remote but I suspect nothing will happen because they're busy enough adding support for other poo poo all the time.

It controls the Xbox One, Shield and all of my other poo poo perfectly though.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

Harmony hub is the best poo poo ever.

:agreed:

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

The Gunslinger posted:

It basically registers itself as a bluetooth keyboard to the PS4. It works fine but like I said, it can't power up the PS4 which is loving stupid. I hope Logitech just says gently caress you to Sony and mimics the calls from their official remote but I suspect nothing will happen because they're busy enough adding support for other poo poo all the time.

It controls the Xbox One, Shield and all of my other poo poo perfectly though.

I just thought about something. Can it learn commands from another remote? All of the ones I've had in the past could. That'd fix your turning on issue.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

The Gunslinger posted:

FWIW my Harmony Smart Control does this already and it was $99 when I bought it.

My pet peeve is that it doesn't power up my PS4 but that's due to Sony not allowing third party devices access to it. They let them power it down, just not up. Go loving figure, thanks Sony. You have to reach for a controller to turn it on which kind of defeats the purpose if you want to simply use a remote and launch some streaming apps. The real kicker is that they allow their official first party remote to do it.

That is...the most dickish poo poo. Microsoft gets lots of credit for horrible decisions but every time I peek over at the PS4 it's like "here's a whole new list of stupid bullshit!"

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Croatoan posted:

I just thought about something. Can it learn commands from another remote? All of the ones I've had in the past could. That'd fix your turning on issue.

The ps4 doesn't have ir

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Don Lapre posted:

The ps4 doesn't have ir

Well poo poo. I didn't know if it could learn other commands through the hub acting as a receiver. gently caress Sony man.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
You would need the bluetooth poweron command being sent by the official remote, not something you or I could implement with their software. I bet Logitech doesn't bother, they already have rudimentary support and they probably don't want to piss off Sony. Very frustrating because the Bone functions perfectly as a media player with the hub. Oh well, I try to keep a controller handy but Sony doesn't make that easy either, it feels like the PS4 controllers didn't run dry after being used for an hour. Anyways /derail.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

You can download the PlayStation app for your phone and tablet and turn it on that way as well.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Silly Burrito posted:

Just started a trial of PS Vue. Is anyone else using the official PS4 remote with it? It definitely doesn't seem to be very useful for it.

Works ok for me. The only really annoying thing is it powers down after a half hour of so of inactivity so you have to hold down the PS button to wake the remote. Beats using the controller.

Marklar
Jul 24, 2003

Ball is Love
Ball is Life
There's an IR receiver set to come out for the PS4 in the beginning of November. https://goo.gl/bgI5Aj

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Is Kodi always incredibly slow?

Farchanter
Jun 15, 2008
I'm hearing whispers that MLB.tv is starting to crack down on people sharing accounts, so I'm thinking of cancelling my various sports streaming services and switching once hockey season starts. I'd love to go with Sling, but because Comcast are a bunch of dicks, CSN Philly is only available on Vue. I'd rather not buy any other hardware: is Vue serviceable on Chromecast?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
Also vouching for Harmony, best $100 I ever spent, I should have bought one years ago.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Dropped off cable box today, and ended up chatting how to cut cable with the customer service lady. :v:

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Pillowpants posted:

Is Kodi always incredibly slow?

no

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I wonder if a set up like this could see a reduction in cable costs (similar to Sling and Vue) beyond the rental fees.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/shelbycarpenter/2016/09/09/fcc-cable-set-top-box/#3c8aee5a14f9

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Farchanter posted:

I'm hearing whispers that MLB.tv is starting to crack down on people sharing accounts, so I'm thinking of cancelling my various sports streaming services and switching once hockey season starts. I'd love to go with Sling, but because Comcast are a bunch of dicks, CSN Philly is only available on Vue. I'd rather not buy any other hardware: is Vue serviceable on Chromecast?

Does Vue have comparable football packages? Because I need Jim Jackson in my life

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Farchanter posted:

Every year there are whispers of that. The goon sharing thread is half filled with people freaking out at the beginning of every season.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Am I crazy, or did Sling just raise their Sling Blue sports package to $10 from $5? I was just thinking of going with them after my Vue trial ended, and noticed their webpage this morning.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

jabro posted:

Every year there are whispers of that. The goon sharing thread is half filled with people freaking out at the beginning of every season.

It actually did happen this year, though. Find the thread and read it. Several goons had their accounts banned.

Farchanter
Jun 15, 2008

Gyshall posted:

Does Vue have comparable football packages? Because I need Jim Jackson in my life

They offer local terrestrial stations on the same tier as CSN, along with NFLN. There's also apparently a way to add Red Zone, but I have no idea what it is.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
So I was going to try the PlayStation Vue free trial and it asks me to choose a plan. I'm guessing that's just for after the trial if I don't cancel? It won't charge me until the trial is over right?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Rad Valtar posted:

So I was going to try the PlayStation Vue free trial and it asks me to choose a plan. I'm guessing that's just for after the trial if I don't cancel? It won't charge me until the trial is over right?

Right but set a reminder on your calendar one day early just in case.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Anybody have an idea why, while watching live stream sports on Kodi, the stream randomly cuts off and goes back to the stream selection menu and I need to re select the game again?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Rythe posted:

Anybody have an idea why, while watching live stream sports on Kodi, the stream randomly cuts off and goes back to the stream selection menu and I need to re select the game again?

Not to sound salty but I'd guess they are unauthorized streams that aren't 100% reliable.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Not to sound salty but I'd guess they are unauthorized streams that aren't 100% reliable.

I kind of figured as much, was curious if anybody knew of a work around to steady the stream, Google search didn't come up with much. I'm not going to complain though, still get to watch out of area games for free for a minor inconvenience of a stream randomly stopping.

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed

Farchanter posted:

Vue is compatible on chromecast, but it wont work until you set it up on an approved device (ps4, fire TV, or roku iirc).

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Anyone here familiar with antennas? I adjusted mine yesterday and now I can pull in a few more channels (I needed Fox for NFL) but it's weird. It kept having dropouts during the day and I was going to wait until the sun went down to adjust it again since god drat it's loving hot on my roof but as soon as the sun went down the drat thing got perfect reception. I've been googling it and it may happen if you're near a shed or something but it's at the apex of my roof and there's nothing near it. WTH? Maybe I should get a 10' mast?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
The sun ionizes the atmosphere which hurts radio reception. If you have a marginal signal it might do it just enough to hurt reception.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
I have a similar problem with my antenna.

The broadcast towers are about 30-40 miles away. I installed the antenna as high as I could with a 14' ladder but not as high as the house itself (around 30').

Without access to a taller ladder for the outside of the house, would it make any difference to install higher in the attic? One concern I read about is the asphalt of the shingles blocking some amount of signal strength.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Croatoan posted:

Anyone here familiar with antennas? I adjusted mine yesterday and now I can pull in a few more channels (I needed Fox for NFL) but it's weird. It kept having dropouts during the day and I was going to wait until the sun went down to adjust it again since god drat it's loving hot on my roof but as soon as the sun went down the drat thing got perfect reception. I've been googling it and it may happen if you're near a shed or something but it's at the apex of my roof and there's nothing near it. WTH? Maybe I should get a 10' mast?

Out of curiosity, how are you adjusting your antenna?

EDIT:

Also, what kind of antennae are you using? Setup? etc.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Anything in front of the antenna can hurt signal strength. Personally when I aimed mine i just borrowed a 15" lcdtv, plugged it in directly into the antenna and adjusted from there. Also dont be afraid to aim up or down toward the ground.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Iron Crowned posted:

Out of curiosity, how are you adjusting your antenna?

EDIT:

Also, what kind of antennae are you using? Setup? etc.

I've got this one. https://amzn.com/B01C1YL16Y

I uninstalled my satellite dish and ran a new coaxial straight to my TV to the antenna while it's using the satellite's old mast. I was adjusting by turning it until reception seemed best and then tightening the nuts back up. Same thing as the old bunny ears routine just with someone on the roof and hollering to each other.

I was thinking about upgrading to this https://amzn.com/B000BSGCSA but holy poo poo that thing's 12" long and $116

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Croatoan posted:

I've got this one. https://amzn.com/B01C1YL16Y

I uninstalled my satellite dish and ran a new coaxial straight to my TV to the antenna while it's using the satellite's old mast. I was adjusting by turning it until reception seemed best and then tightening the nuts back up. Same thing as the old bunny ears routine just with someone on the roof and hollering to each other.

I was thinking about upgrading to this https://amzn.com/B000BSGCSA but holy poo poo that thing's 12" long and $116

They dont give any real spec on the antenna so its hard to tell. Is the channel you want VHF? UHF? sometimes that can make a difference. Your antenna just says 80 miles but doesn't break anything down.

Also are you running a preamp? I use a boostXT (can get any lowes and homedepot) and it works very well.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
No preamp, just the antenna. I heard that since I'm getting a signal, it's just weak, that a amplifier might end up degrading the signal. Also the one I got was super cheap so I'm pretty sure they just throw up whatever mile they think will sell on the amazon listing. The tower I'm pulling from is 28 miles from me. Oddly enough the other stations I'm pulling from are 27 and 30 miles and they're fine? Apparently the one I'm trying to get is UHF but so are the other two.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Id try one of these

https://www.amazon.com/Winegard-LNA-200-Boost-Digital-Preamplifier/dp/B00DQN3R9O

Its what i use on my setup and im roughly 35 miles away. I have a different antenna though.

Also again try aiming up down, left right. It takes some work.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Rythe posted:

I kind of figured as much, was curious if anybody knew of a work around to steady the stream, Google search didn't come up with much. I'm not going to complain though, still get to watch out of area games for free for a minor inconvenience of a stream randomly stopping.

There's no workaround for pirate sports streams to make them 100% or even 95% perfect, no. Echoing "not to sound salty" but you are getting what you are paying for :) And driving the Kodi foundation nuts, as you'll discover if you try to ask this question over on their forums.

Live streaming is hard enough to do for companies that put a ton of resources in to it and legitimately license the content. A teenager in Riga running a reflector for the lolz isn't going to compete with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

FogHelmut posted:

I just want to pay the NFL to let me stream my team's games live. Is that too much to ask? I can't watch them on antenna because I live 2500 miles away. I don't want to buy the whole DirecTV. I don't want to watch the games later that day on replay. I don't really want to sign up and watch through a proxy.

Verizon's NFL mobile app?