Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Ciaphas posted:

How the hell do you stop a good Reaper, there were two defending against us on Anubis B and we got loving slaughtered

5 DVAs and a Lucio

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

non-terrible advice: out-range them with heroes like Pharah, Soldier, McCree, Junkrat, Zarya, etc. They can wraith form to try to close the distance, but they become really easy to telegraph, and you should be able to kill them when they re-materialize before they can get any kills.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Yeah I think people getting rude may have something to do with the fact that they were pretty bad at Genji but then also started complaining that it was actually their crappy team mates that were the main problem.

That is, being a stereotypical Very Bad Slam Pick Genji Player.

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

That was a BAD business decision!

Ciaphas posted:

How the hell do you stop a good Reaper, there were two defending against us on Anubis B and we got loving slaughtered
Reaper is a monster in close-range but doesn't really have ranged options besides their positioning. Hitting them from range is the way to go, Discospawn has the right idea. Depending on how they were defending, most of the heroes they suggested are differently handy (Junkrat if they're keeping out of convenient sightlines, Soldier/McCree if you have good aim).

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Dyz posted:

Have shots piercw full hp allies.

Her shots pierce 0 hp enemies, having them pierce full hp allies makes total sense.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

Chip at them from range, figure out their hiding spots, and be ready to react. The better they get, the more 2 and 3 are going to matter.

If they have full hp and end up right next to you you're done.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

E: gently caress it. Drunk phone posting is worse than mei.

squirrelzipper fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Sep 10, 2016

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
Played all my placement matches today and boy am I glad that those are over. Placement matches are hell.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Defending on Numbani (quickplay), I picked Hanzo. Ten seconds before the round starts, another guy joins our team and slam-picks Hanzo. I was about to change when somebody in chat asked him to change, and he got reeeeally loving salty about it. Like somebody had just told him to go gently caress a pig or something. Eventually he changed to Widowmaker, then raged in the chat about the useless team the whole time. I decided to stay Hanzo just to gently caress with him and boy was he unhappy about it.

He raged about me in the chat for the whole game. At the end, I cracked a joke: "man if only that dude had been Hanzo we woulda won."

He immediately replied "YEAH WE WOULD CHECK MY STATS BRO I ONLY EVER PLAY HANZO. I NEVER PLAY ANY OTHER HERO."

quickplay is so weird

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Finally got loving diamond in 54 games.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Sometimes I think Blizzard got multiplayer chat right with Hearthstone, because I don't think anyones experience have been enriched by "MAN MY TEAM SUCKS", or " [insert character] IS OP", " GET GUD NOOB", or "1v1 FINAL DESTINATION NO ITEMS I'LL WRECK YOU!" Which appears to be 90% of player based communication. Like what makes this game so attractive to people like that. I don't remember people being really salty in battlefield, beyond getting mad at snipers or what ever.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Sep 10, 2016

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

FrostyPox posted:

Yeah I think people getting rude may have something to do with the fact that they were pretty bad at Genji but then also started complaining that it was actually their crappy team mates that were the main problem.

That is, being a stereotypical Very Bad Slam Pick Genji Player.

Ding ding ding ding

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

how big's the leaver penalty? was playing a comp round earlier with some friends when a transformer popped and left me without power for nearly 10 hours. like I just got back online a few minutes ago

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Manatee Cannon posted:

how big's the leaver penalty? was playing a comp round earlier with some friends when a transformer popped and left me without power for nearly 10 hours. like I just got back online a few minutes ago

Practically nonexistent. I think there's a cooldown on joining another comp game? If you had a power outage you probably won't notice anything when you got back online beyond the sr drop from taking a loss.

Apparently it escalates if it keeps happening though.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea I meant how big the drop was, didn't figure I still couldn't play or w/e

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

You don't lose any additional SR points or anything for leaving (besides what you would normally lose for that loss), there's just a 10 minute time-out period the first time you do it (which escalates if you continue to leave additional matches in the near future).

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
What the gently caress is up with the ridiculous queue times this weekend?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Yeah, re: Mei the thing that drives me nuts about people that throw up the ice wall heedlessly is that they might as well be just handing the enemy team an excuse to group up and come in six strong. Sure, you're annoying the enemy team, but unless you absolutely have to stall for time, it's the worst thing to do with it.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

I've been getting the packet loss/connection issue icon all weekend. Never got that before.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

turtlecrunch posted:

More like because it was Genji that was being played poorly, that's just hook line and sinker :v:

the only thing i hate more than a bad genji is a bad tracer

coincidentally i also hate annoying genjis and tracers, aka good ones

gently caress both of them whenever I land a freeze or an icicle on either its a good day as mei

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Away all Goats posted:

5 DVAs and a Lucio

Reaper can literally shoot right past Defense Matrix by getting up in her grill.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Reaper can literally shoot right past Defense Matrix by getting up in her grill.

Then you just fly away

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Okay but if the question is "how do I deal with Reaper," I question a pick whose plan is "try not to fight them"

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Reaper is a relatively soft target and if you can get any amount of distance on him he folds pretty easily in a straight gunfire exchange. He can ghost around but if you're grouped up he's pretty easy to focus fire as long as you're not distracted. He's also pretty easily to escape from if you have any decent escape options, at which point you can open up at range, where doesn't have many tools other than to hope he can DPS you by charging headlong or slink away for another attack run. Also fast characters like S76 can just wait for him to ghost at low health and run him down like a dog if he's flanking and not being backed by a team.

Reaper depends on either an unaware team where he can pick his fights, coordination that lets him advance unmenaced, or playing on KotH where everybody gathers in a convenient tiny capture point. But if he doesn't have surprise he can get taken apart really easily.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

KildarX posted:

Sometimes I think Blizzard got multiplayer chat right with Hearthstone, because I don't think anyones experience have been enriched by "MAN MY TEAM SUCKS", or " [insert character] IS OP", " GET GUD NOOB", or "1v1 FINAL DESTINATION NO ITEMS I'LL WRECK YOU!" Which appears to be 90% of player based communication. Like what makes this game so attractive to people like that. I don't remember people being really salty in battlefield, beyond getting mad at snipers or what ever.

Please god don't talk about getting multiplayer chat "right". It's text in a box for everyone or your team, it doesn't need any more features just because people somehow can't ignore text.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Splatoon's Booyah/C'mon is the greatest innovation in multiplayer chat

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

That was a BAD business decision!

Dyz posted:

Please god don't talk about getting multiplayer chat "right". It's text in a box for everyone or your team, it doesn't need any more features just because people somehow can't ignore text.
I mean hearthstone removed it and is a better game for it. As it turns out, talking to strangers online was a mistake.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
So for some reason when I'm stone cold sober and awake I'm getting 10-strong losing streaks. But when I've been at work all day, came home and slammed 6 IPAs and am simultaneously talking to my wife on the phone about her day at work I'm streamrolling everybody. I don't get it :psyduck:

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Panfilo posted:

So for some reason when I'm stone cold sober and awake I'm getting 10-strong losing streaks. But when I've been at work all day, came home and slammed 6 IPAs and am simultaneously talking to my wife on the phone about her day at work I'm streamrolling everybody. I don't get it :psyduck:

This probably means that normally you do too much thinking about your aim and mechanics. This isn't that uncommon, though 6 IPAs may be a bit much. Instincts and muscle memory can be startlingly powerful!

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Mukaikubo posted:

This probably means that normally you do too much thinking about your aim and mechanics. This isn't that uncommon, though 6 IPAs may be a bit much. Instincts and muscle memory can be startlingly powerful!

It might also mean that he tanked his matchmaking rating low enough that he's getting a string of victories against weaker opponents.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Someone give me advice as Mei. Besides not loving my team with ice wall

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

RC Cola posted:

gently caress the enemy team with ice wall

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

RC Cola posted:

Wait at the corner of a chokepoint entrance hidden from sight with ice wall at the ready and as soon as the enemy tank passes wall it off and freeze their rear end. Trick to playing Mei is to isolate enemies from the rest of their group where you always win 1 vs 1. She is insanely good in maps where the enemy has to trickle in from a chokepoint. Also pay attention to who your team is engaging. if a reaper is going after your tanks run in to the fight and start freezing him. People always freak out when they start to get frozen and try to run away which you can easily stop with a ice wall placed ahead of them. This also helps protect you from enemies far away shooting at you while you freeze/headshot. Most importantly if you place a bad icewall that fucks over your team instantly tear it down. Bad Mei's are the ones that leave the wall up and gently caress up their own team.

When you start getting death threats and hate messages you know you are playing Mei right.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Seagull actually plays Mei on occasion and you can find YouTube videos of him doing so to give you an idea of what good Mei play looks like. On Hanamura defense he spends most of his time waiting for the enemy to commit to a push, then sticking a wall behind the first person through the gate, which was usually the red team Zarya who then got 1v6'd to death. He also used his M2 far more than his M1, which he DID still use just not to the exclusion of his long range headshotting projectile.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Cutting up the enemy team with walls is their most important use. Walls are also good to give your Reinhardt a shield breather and/or a backboard so he can charge without immediately dying. You can also use it to get yourself and other mobility-limited characters - Ana is a big one - to higher ground.

But splitting teams at choke points is the big thing. Don't just wall off the whole enemy team unless that will actually help, because it usually won't.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

zonar posted:

I mean hearthstone removed it and is a better game for it. As it turns out, talking to strangers online was a mistake.

Don't need to remove the text box to not talk to strangers on the internet. If you van't ignore someone talking poo poo you're likely about as mature as they are.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Yeah, throwing up an ice wall behind an advancing Rein on Hanamura 1 never gets old.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
The helplessness you feel seeing your tank disappear behind an icewall is only matched by the helplessness of getting frozen and seeing Mei line up the headshot.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The Crotch posted:

Cutting up the enemy team with walls is their most important use. Walls are also good to give your Reinhardt a shield breather and/or a backboard so he can charge without immediately dying. You can also use it to get yourself and other mobility-limited characters - Ana is a big one - to higher ground.

But splitting teams at choke points is the big thing. Don't just wall off the whole enemy team unless that will actually help, because it usually won't.

this and using the wall to stop an ult are the big uses

like if your team gets sucked into a graviton, put a wall between you and the other team. won't stop hanzo's dragons but it will block everything else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Sancho posted:

I've been getting the packet loss/connection issue icon all weekend. Never got that before.

Same here, I've never noticed the little squares before this weekend. Maybe it's the PS4 free weekend?