Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which non-Power of the Daleks story would you like to see an episode found from?
This poll is closed.
Marco Polo 36 20.69%
The Myth Makers 10 5.75%
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 45 25.86%
The Savages 2 1.15%
The Smugglers 2 1.15%
The Highlanders 45 25.86%
The Macra Terror 21 12.07%
Fury from the Deep 13 7.47%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
War Doc 3 has been pushed back to early October. Only a couple of weeks, but still ._.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Box of Bunnies posted:

War Doc 3 has been pushed back to early October. Only a couple of weeks, but still ._.

Doom Coalition 3 got brought up into September in its place, at least

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
If we're talking Day, I prefer of the Daleks to of the Doctor :colbert:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The_Doctor posted:

[1] Seriously, what was that whole plot strand? The Doctor wrote out his will because... ?

The Master got the Confession Dial and thought it was from the Doctor, it was actually from the Time Lords (paranoid ol' Rassilon specifically) and when the Doctor got hold of it he just pretended that she was right while pondering where it actually came from (I'm sure he didn't rule out that it might even be from himself in the future!).

Part of the issue is that this is a show that usually goes out of its way to belabor the obvious with visual and audio cues, including flashbacks to stuff seen and heard in the same episode so when stuff like the confession dial's origin isn't explicitly laid out, it's very easy to assume that it should be taken at face value (because it usually is!).

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Yeah thanks for the responses guys. Its just the exploration/exposition I was hoping for. His relationship with Gallifrey now is weird and should be left alone for a long while.

Bring back E-Space *evil grin*

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Since I own the blu-ray, about an hour and a half ago I thought I might rewatch the first episode of Spearhead from Space.

I've now rewatched all of Spearhead from Space :sweatdrop:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

Since I own the blu-ray, about an hour and a half ago I thought I might rewatch the first episode of Spearhead from Space.

I've now rewatched all of Spearhead from Space :sweatdrop:

Would you like to talk about? Just have a seat in this plastic chair over here...

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CobiWann posted:

Would you like to talk about? Just have a seat in this plastic chair over here...

That's Terror of the Autons, that's a completely diff.... hmm, maybe I'll watch Terror of the Autons now....

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

That's Terror of the Autons, that's a completely diff.... hmm, maybe I'll watch Terror of the Autons now....

Yes. I have successfully distracted Jerusalem. It's all going just as I had planned.

Now, to deal with that pesky MrL_JaKiri...

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

I'm already distracted playing Psychonauts so don't worry about me

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jerusalem posted:

Don't get whiplash!

I do love how the Autons worked in Spearhead. They suffered in all of their subsequent appearances but hey

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Somehow I had never seen Colony in Space, but there it was on Retro TV this week.

What a lovely story. Evil corporations, non-homogenous groups, weird sock puppets, Master out of nowhere, Pertwee giving a gently caress, everyone go watch it and tell me it's actually bad for some reason.

Last night was the Dæmons. I'll always love this solely for Benton and Yates missing the end of the world to watch rugby highlights.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Somehow I had never seen Colony in Space, but there it was on Retro TV this week.

What a lovely story. Evil corporations, non-homogenous groups, weird sock puppets, Master out of nowhere, Pertwee giving a gently caress, everyone go watch it and tell me it's actually bad for some reason.

Last night was the Dæmons. I'll always love this solely for Benton and Yates missing the end of the world to watch rugby highlights.

It also has "Chap with the horns, five rounds rapid!" which is great.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Every time I hear "chap with wings, five rounds rapid," I think to myself "just leaves Ringo."

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

BARROWMAN! :argh:

https://twitter.com/Team_Barrowman/status/774345518247976964

http://tmi.me/1ffG15

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Sep 9, 2016

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Jackie Tyler and Alonso Frame are gonna be in this. loving outstanding

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh poo poo, Camille Coduri is gonna be in it too, that rules!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I'm already distracted playing Psychonauts so don't worry about me

That game rules so much, I'm sad I waited so long before I finally played it.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

CobiWann posted:

Every time I hear "chap with wings, five rounds rapid," I think to myself "just leaves Ringo."

I think that joke was actually made in one of the books, there was an alien next to McCartney.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Jerusalem posted:

Oh poo poo, Camille Coduri is gonna be in it too, that rules!

Didn't Jack say he went back to the estate when Rose was growing up? Hidden adventures!

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
So Apple's been pushing ads for iPhone 7 with these big banners reading "DON'T BLINK", and, wellllll....things happened.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yo_iP8oHEDQ

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Man I had heard that the Cybermen sucked in all of their non-black-and-white stories but I didn't expect Revenge of the Cybermen to be so, SO boring. Even worse because it comes at the end of an otherwise great season

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Tim Burns Effect posted:

Man I had heard that the Cybermen sucked in all of their non-black-and-white stories but I didn't expect Revenge of the Cybermen to be so, SO boring. Even worse because it comes at the end of an otherwise great season

It's just a big empty nothing isn't it? It doesn't even need to be cybermen.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Fil5000 posted:

It's just a big empty nothing isn't it? It doesn't even need to be cybermen.

It really doesn't, and it introduces the terrible weakness that dogged them for the rest of the classic era.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You know Chris, if you do want to do a second series of Doctor Who, there's a company that can help you ...

http://doctorwhoworldwide.com/christopher-eccleston-says-he-regrets-not-doing-more-doctor-who-reasons-for-leaving-46105/

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Davros1 posted:

You know Chris, if you do want to do a second series of Doctor Who, there's a company that can help you ...

http://doctorwhoworldwide.com/christopher-eccleston-says-he-regrets-not-doing-more-doctor-who-reasons-for-leaving-46105/

I'd love to read that article...but not if its gonna make me turn off AdBlock to do so

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Well I'll hold out hope he does Big Finish, but I get the impression from his comments that his issue is more that he didn't stick around longer to do the thing right on television - no idea if he'd be interested in exploring the character more in audio or not but a man can dream :shobon:

jivjov posted:

I'd love to read that article...but not if its gonna make me turn off AdBlock to do so

I use adblock too, if you right click on the thing that pops up and inspect element you can delete that node and read it. If you can't do that:

quote:

Ninth Doctor actor Christopher Eccleston has given a new interview, stating his regrets at not staying in the role of the Doctor longer and speaking again on the reasoning behind his departure.

Speaking with Raf Epstein on 774 ABC Melbourne’s Drive, Eccleston says the first series of the returning show was both “badly organised and certainly badly produced,” and had it been acknowledged at the time, things would have “turned out differently”.

However, Christopher regrets not staying in the role longer.

“There’s always regret when you play a role like that because what you do is you… i watched it back and i thought ok, next time don’t do this – do that, you know, calibrate the performance. It was kind of tragic for me, that I didn’t play him for longer. He’s a beautiful character and I have a great deal of professional pride and had I done a second season, there would have been a marked improvement in my performance. I was learning new skills, in terms of playing light comedy. I was not known for light comedy and, again, production did not allow for that.”

Eccleston was also critical of the choice of directors for the series:

“It’s very important on a first series that you make a very informed and intelligent choice, even if it means breaking the budget, about getting the first director who is going to set the tone for the season, for the way the actors relate and that did not happen. Disaster.”

For the full interview, where Christopher talks on his recent performance in The A Word, the debt Doctor Who owes of Russell T. Davies and the requirements for actors playing the Doctor, you can listen to the full interview via Soundcloud below.

And here's the link, I haven't listened to it myself yet:

https://soundcloud.com/774-abc-melbourne/christopher-eccleston-on-drive-with-raf-epstein

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Sep 10, 2016

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Hell yeah!

Davros1 posted:

Eccleston in Big Finish would be...fantastic.

[An Interview was here. It's gone now :ninja:]
^^^
[e]:
[Beaten by Jerus]

[e2]:

Jerusalem posted:

Well I'll hold out hope he does Big Finish, but I get the impression from his comments that his issue is more that he didn't stick around longer to do the thing right on television - no idea if he'd be interested in exploring the character more in audio or not but a man can dream :shobon:

I think he's said before that he's the sort of actor who likes to take a shot, and move on. Would be great to have him back though, romping in the Big Finish sandpit.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Sep 10, 2016

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

The one hope that I cling to about him doing BF is that doing a BF series is nowhere near as time consuming as signing on for a tv series or even a movie. It's only a couple of days at most, and even then may only be once a year. It wouldn't be like him giving up 9 months of his life to do it. Add to that BF makes the recording atmosphere as relaxed and enjoyable as they can, and they're open to allowing their stars have input into the material they'd like to do, one can only hope that if they can just get him in to do one, he might enjoy himself enough to want to keep coming back.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Honestly I think the bigger hurdle to getting 9th Doctor audios would be getting Billie Piper back. AudioGo couldn't even get her to narrate that 50th anniversary audio book.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

jivjov posted:

Honestly I think the bigger hurdle to getting 9th Doctor audios would be getting Billie Piper back. AudioGo couldn't even get her to narrate that 50th anniversary audio book.

Jack was in it and he didn't narrate it either.

Besides, there are plenty of gaps to do Rose-less stories for BF to exploit.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Davros1 posted:

True enough. Like was discussed a few pages back; it's not like BF is any stranger to slipping a handful of stories into what appears to be a full block of time.

I always just have a bit of mental trouble thinking of 9 having other companions other than Rose; since he's the one televised doctor to have only the one full-time companion from beginning to end.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Davros1 posted:

You could, but I think you'd be going against the whole point of the season one story. That's a bit lame.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Cerv posted:

You could, but I think you'd be going against the whole point of the season one story. That's a bit lame.

Not really. Especially if they gave him a companion who is nothing like Rose.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Cerv is right but it's kind of irrelevant

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

MrL_JaKiri posted:

And the audios are their own entity, really. I have no trouble reconciling that TV Five was willing to sacrifice his life for someone he'd just met, but BF Five had years of travelling with her.

And once we get Eccleston, we're 1/3 of the way to getting Shallow Grave: The Series :pervert:

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

After The War posted:

And the audios are their own entity, really. I have no trouble reconciling that TV Five was willing to sacrifice his life for someone he'd just met, but BF Five had years of travelling with her.

That's how I think about it, too.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
didnt 9 technically have potential for a ton of adventures in between the ending of episode 1?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

DeafNote posted:

didnt 9 technically have potential for a ton of adventures in between the ending of episode 1?

Yeah, and before. And in the midst of Aliens of London when he travels off to go to the hospital. And between The Doctor Dances and Boom Town (Rose mentions to Mickey the places they'd visited; no reason the Doctor couldn't have snuck off on his own).

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Story of my life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Alternate timeline with Frazier Hines? Season 1B? :getin:

• Locked thread