Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

frost titan did beat the other titans a little bit until people realized that basilisk collar/cunning sparkmage/inferno titan actually beat the other titans as well, and squawks, and the grixis lists went back to not playing it at all again

edit: frost titan costing mana to jace bounce was pretty resilient if you ask me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Elyv posted:

You're going to make Siege-Gang Commander cry.

Siege Gang Commander is distinctly tribal and was 5 power for 5 mana with no keywords.

It's good, but not quite the same as these big haymakers.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

rabidsquid posted:

basilisk collar/cunning sparkmage/inferno titan

On paper that looks clunky/too expensive

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Rinkles posted:

Basilisk collar was the stoneforge target of choice before the swords came out

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

even after the swords came out i am thinking you are perhaps forgetting how much mana sword of feast and famine generated

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Caw blade put all sorts of wacky poo poo in to fetch up, included noted standard allstar sylvok lifestaff

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew

Count Bleck posted:

This is the most magical card I've seen this week.

seen this played in modern at a FNM, once did only 1 damage to the caster but another time he did like 12 to himself and 10 to the opponent and quickly won with burn.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Rinkles posted:

The main decks that played Inferno Titan in Standard were Valakut and RUG, both of which had no trouble playing a Titan on turn 4.

rabidsquid posted:

edit: frost titan costing mana to jace bounce was pretty resilient if you ask me

This is fair, but bouncing gravedad generally didn't end up great and bouncing inferno titan wasn't necessarily happy fun times either.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Siege Gang Commander is distinctly tribal and was 5 power for 5 mana with no keywords.

Sure but it was pretty haymakery, if they untapped with that thing they just dominated the board(assuming they didn't just kill you because all the goblins had haste and piledriver)

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

cheetah7071 posted:

Caw blade put all sorts of wacky poo poo in to fetch up, included noted standard allstar sylvok lifestaff

It was hilarious when people started doing this with a card you wouldn't play in draft because it was all we had against burn until batterskull showed up

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Rinkles posted:

it was the best removal in the format against me, a player who was new and didn't have a clue what i was doing

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

mandatory lesbian posted:

it was the best removal in the format against me, a player who was new and didn't have a clue what i was doing

That combo, minus the titan, was the poo poo at the pt it showed up in. Boss naya was huge for a while.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Had a rough night at modern tonight - playing merfolk as usual.

Clowned Jund as usual round 1, but lost narrowly to Valakut Titan round 2. Round 3 was a barn burner against Mardu Tokens (soulfire grandmaster out of the board was a beating against me) and then took a breezy 2 against Abzan thanks to 3x Spreading Seas.

Deck is still good, but Valakut is a ROUGH match.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I want them to reprint Clock of Omens in Aether Revolt.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Balon posted:

Deck is still good, but Valakut is a ROUGH match.

Nah man just have your opponent attempt to Valakut bolt your board while you have Kira out.

This happened once.

He scooped.

My expression did not give away how much I was laughing inwardly.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Count Bleck posted:

Nah man just have your opponent attempt to Valakut bolt your board while you have Kira out.

This happened once.

He scooped.

My favorite was when my opponent Scapeshifted into exactly enough mountains to kill me, including his only basic mountain. While I had a Ghost Quarter out. It took a while to explain that not only was I not dead, but he couldn't actually win the game.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Count Bleck posted:

This happened once.

He scooped.

I expressly held up a vial on 3 with a Kira in hand hoping to make this play, but he sent all the triggers at me and bolted to finish me off.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Balon posted:

I expressly held up a vial on 3 with a Kira in hand hoping to make this play

That doesn't do what you want it to do.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Balon posted:

I expressly held up a vial on 3 with a Kira in hand hoping to make this play, but he sent all the triggers at me and bolted to finish me off.

This would be funny but not for the reason you're intending

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I mean, presumably you vial in Kira in response to the scapeshift, rather than waiting until after they put the triggers on the stack.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

suicidesteve posted:

My favorite was when my opponent Scapeshifted into exactly enough mountains to kill me, including his only basic mountain. While I had a Ghost Quarter out. It took a while to explain that not only was I not dead, but he couldn't actually win the game.

My favorite failshift is when my opponent had 1 valakut on the board and 1 on the bin and then triumphantly shifted and sacced all 7 of his lands and sat there searching his library for a valakut before realizing he had them both in the bin.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Weird card

This gives you a way to kill someone with phage potentially?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

AkumaHokoru posted:

Or, your opponent actually reads you card and you lose.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

AkumaHokoru posted:

They'll just go "No, you can have both creatures" at which point your plan backfires horribly.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
I see someone else mentioned it a few pages back. nevermind

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Just received 4 fake Blood Moon from a TCGPlayer seller.

Super obvious fakes, but glad I have a loupe to verify it quickly.

For reference, here's how crisp a set symbol & lines should look:

Highly rated seller too. Hopefully just an honest mistake and an easy fix...

I highly recommend a loupe for people, $10 makes it easier to spot these. They're getting better and better.

Walked fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Sep 10, 2016

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

most people who have passable fakes would rather not know they're fake I would imagine.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Retromancer posted:

most people who have passable fakes would rather not know they're fake I would imagine.

I'd still check all the stuff you receive while it's still possible for you to send it back for a refund.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

That second image also nicely shows the rosette shaped printing pattern on old cards.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Walked posted:

For reference, here's how crisp a set symbol & lines should look:

Were set symbols printed on a separate pass/different equipment, or how did they get that effect?

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Rosettes are on new cards too, pretty sure, but I don't have one front of me to check.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Rinkles posted:

Were set symbols printed on a separate pass/different equipment, or how did they get that effect?

All the solid black (set symbols, borders, text...) was printed separately from the coloured artwork and background, yeah.

The main idea is to get clean and legible text that you can't really get with the colour process.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Retromancer posted:

Completely disagree. And certainly should be sure to check new stuff you get...

Jabor posted:

All the solid black (set symbols, borders, text...) was printed separately from the coloured artwork and background, yeah.

The main idea is to get clean and legible text that you can't really get with the colour process.

The thing is, most new counterfeits are even better and the text and mana symbols are printed on a separate black layer too

These days it's the texture, sometimes coloring, and the set symbol that give them away.

Walked fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Sep 10, 2016

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Walked posted:

Completely disagree. And certainly should be sure to check new stuff you get...

The thing is, most new counterfeits are even better and the text and mana symbols are printed on a separate black layer too

These days it's the texture, sometimes coloring, and the set symbol that give them away.

That isn't true. All fakes are done on the same layer up to this point. It's the only test that most the newer fakes can't pass.

Coloring issues are only on certain cards. Texture can be fixed with several different methods after you get them. Not many newer fakes have any set symbol issues.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!
Actually, all I really want is a good portion of red creature burn to say "target creature or planeswalker" instead.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Zemyla posted:

Actually, all I really want is a good portion of red creature burn to say "target creature or planeswalker" instead.

Absolutely this

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Sickening posted:

That isn't true. All fakes are done on the same layer up to this point. It's the only test that most the newer fakes can't pass.

Coloring issues are only on certain cards. Texture can be fixed with several different methods after you get them. Not many newer fakes have any set symbol issues.

You are wrong. I bought a number of counterfeits direct from China for a stupid EDH deck and they are VERY GOOD. text and mana are printed on separate layers on the newest ones. I can post pictures to prove it if necessary

The text and mana are separate layers, set symbol is not

Coloring is not 100% but can be a giveaway and texture can be fixed, I agree. Set symbol is about the only consistent giveaway

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Sickening posted:

I have at this point seen fakes which are double printed, but were given away by set symbol and rosetting problems. That said, I'm pretty sure they're all from the same block of fakes that were made by former Kodak employees that were using photoprinting equipment after work and there's not any new ones of those entering the market.

e; They didn't pass light test either so do that

Skyl3lazer fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Sep 10, 2016

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Okay. Lots of misinformation.

The new Chinese fakes are largely double printed. Give me 15 and I'll post a bunch of pictures on the generations of fakes and whatnot. They're remarkably good

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I'd kind of worried my Chinese mail order bride might be a fake. What should I be looking for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Ok, Tarmogoyf side by side and what I'm talking about.

Side by side (real left, fake right):

the flash really accentuates the difference, but even side-by-side in natural light they dont look unreasonably different

Let's look at the set symbols first:

REAL:

FAKE:

Okay. How about the mana symbols:

REAL::

FAKE:

Finally, text:

REAL:

FAKE:

In summary, they are printing everything separate black layer aside from the set symbol. Fun times.

edit:
Here is older, previous generation fake from before they were printing the set symbols on a different layer:

Walked fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Sep 10, 2016

• Locked thread