Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

I'm playing Shaman with 2H skills, but I can't tell if I should be using swords with their higher % pierce, or the hammer/mauls with the greater raw damage (and calculated DPS). Someone help?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Assmagus, LPer ass-traordinaire

Harmburger posted:

I'm playing Shaman with 2H skills, but I can't tell if I should be using swords with their higher % pierce, or the hammer/mauls with the greater raw damage (and calculated DPS). Someone help?

The Hammers. %pierce is how much weapons base damage is converted to pierce damage, not damage that ignores Armour. Shaman also has many skill that have weapon damage scaling on them, so higher base damage is better.

ssmagus fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Sep 6, 2016

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

Harmburger posted:

This was answered above but to add to that: Shamans typically have good 2h damage scaling with either Physical damage (by going Soldier second for Warder) or Lightning damage (by going Arcanist second for Druid). Shamans don't have easy avenues of boosting piercing damage, so for that reason you'll want a weapon with low or ideally no %armor piercing at all.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

The Mash posted:

This was answered above but to add to that: Shamans typically have good 2h damage scaling with either Physical damage (by going Soldier second for Warder) or Lightning damage (by going Arcanist second for Druid). Shamans don't have easy avenues of boosting piercing damage, so for that reason you'll want a weapon with low or ideally no %armor piercing at all.

Thanks for these answers. I haven't dual classed yet because I'm not really sure what i want to go with, but I took the advice and ran with it. Now that I know a bit more about how the damage system works, I dumped all my +% [element] damage gear and got all +% physical/all damage gear, a big hammer, and +% attack speed which has gone well. Me and the bundle of thorns beating the poo poo out everything.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

PoE is sort of failing to satisfy for reasons I can't quite pin down, and I'm pretty done with Diablo 3 at this point. Does this game let be be any of the following

- a Muscle Wizard (I'll leave it to you to define what exactly this means)
- Emperor Palpatine
- something like the D3 Crusader only with more GOD-powered lasers and general Smiting Of The Unholy (eg everyone but me)

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Ciaphas posted:

- a Muscle Wizard (I'll leave it to you to define what exactly this means)
- Emperor Palpatine

Well the Shaman class is kinda like a cross between this. It's a Berserker Mage that calls lightning by punching things, and then you can take an actual caster for your second class. A little bit paper if you're gonna go that route, though.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

The White Dragon posted:

Well the Shaman class is kinda like a cross between this. It's a Berserker Mage that calls lightning by punching things, and then you can take an actual caster for your second class. A little bit paper if you're gonna go that route, though.

Close enough :v:

After being informed by the chat thread that this was on the humble bundle for the month for twelve bones I bought in. Now I guess I've got a lot of reading to do tonight and tomorrow while it's downloading / I'm bored at work :v:

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Is there a Titan Quest thread? I checked the first few pages but finding a specific thread in this forum is like finding a needle in a haystack sometimes.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

The Rokstar posted:

Is there a Titan Quest thread? I checked the first few pages but finding a specific thread in this forum is like finding a needle in a haystack sometimes.

This, also is there an updated TQ Defiler for the anniversary edition? The old version will update your hero stats but the drop mods and stuff don't work.

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010

bamhand posted:

This, also is there an updated TQ Defiler for the anniversary edition? The old version will update your hero stats but the drop mods and stuff don't work.

Maybe in a month? SoulSeekkor posted on the offical GD forums that's when he'll be free enough to look in to it.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Ciaphas posted:

- something like the D3 Crusader only with more GOD-powered lasers and general Smiting Of The Unholy (eg everyone but me)

The fourth gif in the OP features a laser and bomb enthusiast. No idea how it compares to D3, though, since I haven't played it.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Do Shaman and Demolitionist play well together or would that be a mistake, I kinda want to take them on concept alone (and because I loved Elemental Shaman in WoW, that was lightning and fire so this seems a natural fit)

Does it matter which one I pick first or is there no such thing as primary/secondary?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Shaman and Demo both have Lightning attacks, so I think that could work well. Briarthorn on the Shaman is a pretty good pet to keep the heat off you too if you get it. And no - you'll obviously have more skills in the first by the time you unlock the second, but respeccing is peanuts.

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

Generally speaking is this game similar to Path of Exile where the game gets heavily dependent on maximized builds and specific equipment, or is it more chill where you can just do whatever sounds fun and makes logical sense and be mostly okay?

Path is the only arpg I've put real time into in recent years and it's awesome, but right now I just kind of want something where I can chill out and drink beer and watch things explode without having to follow a build or obssessively try to min/max everything

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

flesh dance posted:

Generally speaking is this game similar to Path of Exile where the game gets heavily dependent on maximized builds and specific equipment, or is it more chill where you can just do whatever sounds fun and makes logical sense and be mostly okay?

Path is the only arpg I've put real time into in recent years and it's awesome, but right now I just kind of want something where I can chill out and drink beer and watch things explode without having to follow a build or obssessively try to min/max everything

You can generally do whatever sounds fun and be fine for most of the game. There are a few things like the Avatar of Mogdrogen, the secret quest, and high-level Crucible round that require good builds, but 90% of the game is playable if you pick things that synergize even modestly well.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

flesh dance posted:

I'd say it's somewhere in between PoE and Diablo 3's "play for an hour and we'll literally just hand you an endgame build" philosophy. Ultimate is tough but not so tough that only min-maxers will ever finish it.

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

Cheers, sounds right up my alley then.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Jabarto posted:

You can generally do whatever sounds fun and be fine for most of the game. There are a few things like the Avatar of Mogdrogen, the secret quest, and high-level Crucible round that require good builds, but 90% of the game is playable if you pick things that synergize even modestly well.

The big thing is that a lot of damage multipliers stack, so pick one or two damage types to focus on (using whichever skills you like to cause them) and get as many boosts on them as possible; most classes can put out about 3 or 4 major damage types, so there's overlap between the classes, which is good since you get two of them. Then cover your defenses somehow.

That'll get you through pretty much the majority of picking skills and gear, honestly.

Prism fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Sep 9, 2016

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Can you reallocate attribute points and these devotion points eventually or does the respeccing only apply to skill points?

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Only skill and devotion.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
My friend and I just got this game, and I'm having an issue where no matter what graphic settings I use it's running at 15-25FPS. This is strange became my computer is pretty beastly with I74ghz processor, NVIDIA Titan-X, and 16gb of ram. I even tried lowering the resolution, and it didn't affect anything at all. Is there any known issues with NVIDIA cards?

Ok if I go in a singleplayer game I am getting 144fps. Jump back into multiplayer with my friend and its back down to 20. Doesn't matter if he hosts or I host.

Megasabin fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Sep 9, 2016

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Megasabin posted:

My friend and I just got this game, and I'm having an issue where no matter what graphic settings I use it's running at 15-25FPS. This is strange became my computer is pretty beastly with I74ghz processor, NVIDIA Titan-X, and 16gb of ram. I even tried lowering the resolution, and it didn't affect anything at all. Is there any known issues with NVIDIA cards?

Ok if I go in a singleplayer game I am getting 144fps. Jump back into multiplayer with my friend and its back down to 20. Doesn't matter if he hosts or I host.

I'm running with it maxed out on a 970 with no issues, single or multiplayer.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Harmburger posted:

I'm running with it maxed out on a 970 with no issues, single or multiplayer.

Same here. Smooth as gently caress for me on my 970/i5 4670k.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Looking online, it seems to happen to people at random with no obvious cause and doesn't seem to be resolved for people who have the issue. It's also been a known issue dating back to 2014 that the devs have never responded to despite multiple threads on their forums and Reddit. Guess it's time to refund and go back to POE when I feel like scratching the ARPG itch.

Megasabin fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Sep 10, 2016

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Megasabin posted:

Try some out-of-game CPU/core settings relating to how the game runs, the low fps is most likely a result of the game being inefficient about using multiple cores

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

The Mash posted:

Try some out-of-game CPU/core settings relating to how the game runs, the low fps is most likely a result of the game being inefficient about using multiple cores

How do I do this?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Also, while this is a longshot (especially since it only happens when you're doing multiplayer), check your CPU temperature. The way I found out I was having CPU cooler issues with my last machine is inexplicable framerate drops that happened because the processor speed was being throttled.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

docbeard posted:

Also, while this is a longshot (especially since it only happens when you're doing multiplayer), check your CPU temperature. The way I found out I was having CPU cooler issues with my last machine is inexplicable framerate drops that happened because the processor speed was being throttled.

I can check it, but this isn't a gradual process. As soon as I start a multiplayer game my FPS is just that low immediately. 5 seconds later I can be in a singleplayer game and its running at 144FPS. That doesn't sound like an overheating issue. It makes me wonder if the game is only using 1 core or something during multiplayer, which is what Mash suggested. I just don't know how to check that.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
What are some good classes to play using a ps4 controller? read: not too many necessary hotkeys

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Megasabin posted:

Seems like it could be a latency issue. With your processor I'd say it's better that you host unless he has an even beefier rig. Either way, try both and see if anything changes

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

so what class combo lets me become the boss off a bullet hell game like in that webm in the op? Gun wizard sounds more fun than the melee berserker builds I usually go for in ARPGs

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010

Agean90 posted:

so what class combo lets me become the boss off a bullet hell game like in that webm in the op? Gun wizard sounds more fun than the melee berserker builds I usually go for in ARPGs

Many classes can do the bullet hell thing. Demo is the first choice for a gunner, any other class but nightblade works as a secondary class for a gunner. Occ is less bullet hell but has some good buffs and debuffs for a gunner, Arc is the webm secondary and gives mixed buffs and cc, Soldier if you want one bullet to one shot-ten kills something, Shaman to make your two handed gun shoot lighting bolts over the whole screen.

Demo/Sha or Demo/Arc are the true screen exploders.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Ninkobei posted:

Seems like it could be a latency issue. With your processor I'd say it's better that you host unless he has an even beefier rig. Either way, try both and see if anything changes

We've both tried hosting. it doesn't make a difference.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Megasabin posted:

How do I do this?

I don't know exactly, it likely depends on your OS and setup, I've just seen multiple people mention it on the forums. Try through the task manager

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I got this game last Sunday and beat it last night. Took 72 hours exploring every nook and cranny. Ugh.

Decided to jump into multiplayer with a new character. Is the Steam group still active? I joined it but the GD multiplayer interface doesn't seem to show active Steam group members - just friends.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

decided to give my demolitionist occultist. As fun as bullet hell mode looks, im bad at planning out builds in the long term and giving people EbolAIDS then mercy killing them with a rotating cannon sounds like it will give me more immediat enjoyment.

Is it me or is the molotov skill kinda bad? Between flashbang giving everyone it hits at least one debuff and curse of weakness compounding that the debuff the molotov gives never really sees use and the damage is piddly.

edit: oh yeah, and electro jacks rock, i would set as my primary attack if I could

Agean90 fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Sep 11, 2016

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Agean90 posted:

decided to give my demolitionist occultist. As fun as bullet hell mode looks, im bad at planning out builds in the long term and giving people EbolAIDS then mercy killing them with a rotating cannon sounds like it will give me more immediat enjoyment.

Is it me or is the molotov skill kinda bad? Between flashbang giving everyone it hits at least one debuff and curse of weakness compounding that the debuff the molotov gives never really sees use and the damage is piddly.

edit: oh yeah, and electro jacks rock, i would set as my primary attack if I could

Shaman has an electric attack that can be your primary with an upgrade

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

Agean90 posted:

There's a modifier that you can spend points on which removes the cooldown, so you totally can.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Agean90 posted:

The good thing with Blackwater Cocktails is that they stack. So if a horde is approaching, you can drop a few and they'll go down fast. Or, if it's one of those mobs/bosses that spawns in a particular place, you can drop a few while he's spawning to deal a crapload of damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
Played this for like 3 hours tonight. So far my design of demolitionist occultist, where i just activate buffs and familiar and then left click my way to victory seems to be working and is oddly satisfying.