Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Weird thing to get so hung up on.

Lunala is a :ghost:. There are many other ghosts in the series that don't have legs either, like Misdreavus, Mismagius, Shuppet, Duskull, Dusknoir, Haunter, Phantump, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

less laughter posted:

Lunala is a :ghost:. There are many other ghosts in the series that don't have legs either, like Misdreavus, Mismagius, Shuppet, Duskull, Dusknoir, Haunter, Phantump, etc.

it's also a dumb frisbee looking thing

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
It looks hella awesome

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Elfgames posted:

it's also a dumb frisbee looking thing

yeah, cresselia does look like poo poo

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
I think Pokémon merchandise has finally hit its zenith:

These would be ideal as wedding rings.

less laughter fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Sep 10, 2016

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Scientists saw our discussion on giraffes and decided they needed to step in.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/09/science/a-quadruple-take-on-the-giraffe-its-four-species-not-one.html?_r=0

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

less laughter posted:

if you propose to me with a venusaur or a charizard instead of blastoise, we're breaking up on the spot because you clearly dont understand me

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Kelp Plankton posted:

if you propose to me with a venusaur or a charizard instead of blastoise, we're breaking up on the spot because you clearly dont understand me

We're both gonna have to get the same one then because I want the Blastoise one as well

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Die Laughing posted:

Anyone planning on getting both versions? The time difference between versions, and the wealth of awesome Pokemon, might have me do it for the first time. Maybe I'll switch on alternating days, and keep both paced fairly evenly.

I'll probably do what I always do; physical version for actual training, battling, etc. and go through having fun, then get the other version to Nuzlocke with the other PC options from time to time.

I might actually have to get both day one though this game looks so beefy :ohdear:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

less laughter posted:

Are these official? How much?

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

the pixies are cool, y'all can bite me

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

McDragon posted:

hmmm, depends where

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
I used the yellow one in gen 4 for spreading status and it was neat, but they're really not special at all imo

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

less laughter posted:

These are intensely nerdy and look likely to cut your fingers when you try them. I want them all.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

McDragon posted:

:yeah:

I just wish they had changed them to Fairy type.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Dexie posted:

I just wish they had changed them to Fairy type.

The Ralts and Mime Jr. lines took precedence.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

The Lake Guardians being psychic types make sense since they're supposed to represent elements of the spirit... or mind if you will.

I'm still a little annoyed that Snorunt and Glalie weren't made part fairy in the process. Although there aren't that many pure ice types to begin with.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Zuzie posted:

The Lake Guardians being psychic types make sense since they're supposed to represent elements of the spirit... or mind if you will.

I'm still a little annoyed that Snorunt and Glalie weren't made part fairy in the process. Although there aren't that many pure ice types to begin with.

Ice isn't actually that rare as a standalone type any more. It has more than Ghost, Flying, Ground, Rock, Dragon, Dark, and Steel which puts it pretty middle of the pack. Gen V added a ton of pure Ice-types.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Zuzie posted:

Yeah but all their names (both in English and in Japanese) are references to fairies. So Psychic/Fairy would have fit them.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

less laughter posted:

It looks hella awesome

I think the team was playing FF9 while designing new guys.

That thing flies like Bahamut.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

mabels big day posted:

RSE credits are the best and it's not even remotely a contest.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Zore posted:

Ice isn't actually that rare as a standalone type any more. It has more than Ghost, Flying, Ground, Rock, Dragon, Dark, and Steel which puts it pretty middle of the pack. Gen V added a ton of pure Ice-types.

If you don't include revealed generation seven pokemon, Ice is still tied with Ghost as the rarest type, and if you do include revealed generation seven pokemon, Ice is the rarest type.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord
Ice is also the best type and had better have a significant presence in Sun and Moon, or else I'll be slightly perturbed.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Bleck posted:

If you don't include revealed generation seven pokemon, Ice is still tied with Ghost as the rarest type, and if you do include revealed generation seven pokemon, Ice is the rarest type.

Overall, yeah. I was counting single-typed pokemon only.

Ground is shockingly rare as a standalone type despite being super common, for instance.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Also the suckiest

Ice I mean, got ninjad by those two guys

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
I hope when facing a Mimikyu, Ditto falls for the disguise and transforms into a Pikachu

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Ice is a great attacking type but there's not really an incentive to BE ice type since it sucks defensively. The only ones with a useful number of resistances are Walrein and Mamoswine, and only if they have Thick Fat. Oh yeah, and Froslass being part ghost helps too. And while Abomasnow has a ton of weaknesses it can still switch into a few things thanks to grass typing.

I don't know why Gamefreak doesn't think this is a problem and also why do they keep making ice types with such high defensive stats?

Cloyster

Regice

Cryogonal

Avalugg

Pomplamoose fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Sep 10, 2016

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

The only ones with a useful number of resistances are Walrein and Mamoswine, and only if they have Thick Fat.

Snowslash has 1 immunity (Poison) and 8 resistances (2x to Bug, Dragon, Fairy, Flying, Grass, Normal and Psychic, and 4x to Ice).

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

it'd have like 12 resistances if it wasn't loving ice type

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

less laughter posted:

Snowslash has 1 immunity (Poison) and 8 resistances (2x to Bug, Dragon, Fairy, Flying, Grass, Normal and Psychic, and 4x to Ice).

Yeah that's not bad, but I wonder what it's base stats will be. I'm guessing the same total as ground sandslash, but redistributed. Here's the original:

So I'm think it'll be something like

75 HP
100 Attack
110 Defense
30 Special Attack
105 Special Defense
30 Speed

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
A few pages back people were talking about Graveler and Golem having stupid names. I think it's important for everyone to know that Graveler's name in French is Gravalanch and that's a way better name. Blastoise is also called Tortank which is suitably awesome. In German, Geodude is called Kleinstein.

But my overall favorite German Pokemon is Lickitung, which is called Schlurp.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

Geostomp posted:

These are intensely nerdy and look likely to cut your fingers when you try them. I want them all.

They look like they're made of the finest quality of material than you can get from a bowling alley vending machine.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
When are we getting a bowling ball and pins Pokémon

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

less laughter posted:

You can see its bones and it's just a head, ribcage and a pair of anterior limbs. No legs or pelvis.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

less laughter posted:

When are we getting a bowling ball and pins Pokémon

tenpyn is real and he's a legendary

Hexmage-SA
Jun 28, 2012
DM
From Bulbapedia:

Bastiodon has the highest Defense and Special Defense and the highest single base stat of all Fossil Pokémon.

Personal Addendum:

Its got 4x weaknesses to Fighting and Ground so its Defense and Special Defense stats are completely irrelevant.

Surely this was intentional. Surely the designers at Gamefreak didn't think they were actually making a good Pokemon.

They played a similarly nasty joke with Bastiodon's counterpart Rampardos, who has an astounding capacity to inflict damage but is not only too slow and fragile to remain in play, but also doesn't get the ability Rock Head despite literally being cloned from a rock head.

Hexmage-SA fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Sep 10, 2016

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
I think Game Freak would like to make many pokemon and moves that are usable competitively, but just aren't all that good at it and/or are more interested in thematic considerations. Hence why rock- and ice-types tend to have massive defense and be really slow; rock and ice are tough materials and aren't generally thought of as things that would move fast. The fact that this supposed toughness is negated by the type chart doesn't matter to Game Freak's designers, because to them it doesn't trump the theme.

They like coming up with new moves with interesting gimmicks, but they tend to have a blind spot for opportunity cost; the fact that yeah, you came up with a fun move that might flip this or that mechanic on its head but there are still 4 much better and less situational moves that I'm going to take if I want to win.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The game is better for Gamefreak just making stuff they think is cool, instead of designing for competitive

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

there are a lot of moves that in an irl setting would be amazing but because of the mechanics of a turn based rpg environment are trash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
That's what the anime is for