Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Embrace the basket.

Good. Gooooooooood. https://twitter.com/BucTrooper/status/774633159036178433

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Donald Trump softening on immigrants and minorities?!!?!

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

Eifert Posting posted:

To be fair, there is no legitimate pro-life position. These people don't actually value human life, they're just misogynists making up weak excuses for their deep-seated hatred of women, which they obviously feel whether they realize it or not.

yeah for real, show me someone who is against all abortions, for sex education and birth control, for an increased social safety net/welfare system, against all war, in favor of more gun regulation and against the death penalty

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Karl Sharks posted:

i mean more in the sense that you see some posters on here just go "what the gently caress" and shred some awful thing the GOP has done

i wish so hard should could unleash the hate she has for those awful bigots across from her and tear them an infinite amount of new assholes

if we pray hard enough, in 8 years we'll maybe get the greatest State of the Union ever delivered.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Eifert Posting posted:

To be fair, there is no legitimate pro-life position. These people don't actually value human life, they're just misogynists making up weak excuses for their deep-seated hatred of women, which they obviously feel whether they realize it or not.

im so woke rn

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

strong username/post combo.

breaklaw
May 12, 2008

Dr Cheeto posted:

On the other hand, Mexican rapists, Judge Curiel, Obama is Kenyan, and Muslim gold star mother is oppressed by her husband.

Not saying that Trump dosen't embody and promote racism and misogyny. I'm saying people may be voting for him for other reasons. Fear of a liberal SCOTUS for example.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

breaklaw posted:

Not saying that Trump dosen't embody and promote racism and misogyny. I'm saying people may be voting for him for other reasons. Fear of a liberal SCOTUS for example.

people who are afraid of a "liberal" SCOTUS are still either idiots or assholes

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

breaklaw posted:

If SCOTUS wasn't down a member and extremely old, would Trump have gotten as much backing, such as it is, from top Republicans? I get the feeling they'd be more willing to punt on this election if there wasn't the potential to reshape the court in a single term.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qaK6i2raVo

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

iospace posted:

Like what, exactly?

e: how exactly is that statement there, aside from the "I shouldn't have said half" bit not a condensed version of her speech in Reno?

"I should have said all"

I think the statement is good. She only backs off the number, to try to take wind out of the sails of quibbling over the number. And focuses it all back on Trump.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

breaklaw posted:

see, you just said it yourself

fear.

they're selling you fear still.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Not saying that Trump dosen't embody and promote racism and misogyny. I'm saying people may be voting for him for other reasons. Fear of someone DOING something about racism and misogyny for example.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Okonner
Dec 11, 2008

by exmarx

God I hope a reporter asks him what fraction of Hillary supporters he thinks will vote for him.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Sonic the Hoxhaist posted:

"I should have said all"

I think the statement is good. She only backs off the number, to try to take wind out of the sails of quibbling over the number. And focuses it all back on Trump.

Yeah, she's a master of damage control compared to Trump's obese farts at the dinner table.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

breaklaw posted:

The more I read and think about this deplorables thing, the more I'm starting to sympathize with the people who are offended by this.

I can see people looking at this comment from Clinton against the backdrop of a modern progressive discourse where conservative views and policy positions are soundly and almost universally declared to be wholly invalid on their own merits, and nothing more than an attempt to cover for the real reason an individual may take these positions, which is of course naked racism\misogny\*phobia etc.

I mean even without Trump, a huge number of liberal in the media will imply or outright accuse moderates and conservatives who disagree with the current liberal consensus on any issue of only doing so out of hatred for one demographic group or another.

A well known example is how there is no legitimate pro-life position to many the modern left. These people don't actually value human life, they're just misogynists making up weak excuses for their deep-seated hatred of women, which they obviously feel whether they realize it or not.

During the Bush administration there was a similar dynamic on the right. Back then on Fox News and talk radio, and even in the mainstream media sometimes, it was either you support Bush and the Iraq war, or you hate America and wish to see it destroyed. No in-between, either you support what I support or there is something wrong with you.

I can see people viewing Clinton's comments in a similar way that I viewed the all the America-hater poo poo from the right back then as a hash critic of Bush's foreign policy.

I think Clinton's 'deplorables' are far closer to Romney's '47%' than posters itt are willing to admit. Both are coming from a stance where support for the opposing candidate is evidence of something inherently wrong or broken in the supporter. Even though Clinton admitted she was over-generalizing, "half" is way too high of an estimate for what she was talking about.

that is an awful lot of words to talk about how you're sad Hillary Clinton recognized you threw your hat in with a bunch of gigantic racists

and only backed out when you realized some Mexicans have money

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx

Kylo Portly just ruined his laundry basket.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Okonner posted:

God I hope a reporter asks him what fraction of Hillary supporters he thinks will vote for him.

Bernie people.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

My kingdom for a democrat with a loving spine. Double down and make the media report on the ridiculously high percentage of Trump voters who believe Obama is muslim, mexicans are all rapists, get upset at hearing foreign languages spoken, muslim ban, etc.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
This would also have been an acceptable response from the Clinton campaign.

https://twitter.com/dancingpmkin/status/774414388207902720

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004
Has anyone from Trump camp denied that he is a racist?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

HEY KIDS, TIME FOR YOUR SECOND HELPING OF BILL MITCHELL:
https://twitter.com/mitchellvii/status/774676487517642753
I WONDER WHY BILL.

breaklaw
May 12, 2008

Karl Sharks posted:

people who are afraid of a "liberal" SCOTUS are still either idiots or assholes

Just empty quoting this proves the point that I'm making.

A couple of months ago there was a Vox piece that was mostly a self-criticism of the modern left for their "smugness". I don't think it went far enough but it did demonstrate that some progressives are also starting to see that these kind of attitudes are becoming more and more problematic for the advancement of progressive causes.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Winkie01 posted:

Has anyone from Trump camp denied that he is a racist?

Bill Mitchell does it all the time

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
So now when he goes off prompter he's going to be telling his crowds of despicable people that Hillary called them despicable, getting them even more angry than they were when they showed up. That's sure to end well.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

breaklaw posted:

A couple of months ago there was a Vox piece that was mostly a self-criticism of the modern left for their "smugness". I don't think it went far enough but it did demonstrate that some progressives are also starting to see that these kind of attitudes are becoming more and more problematic for the advancement of progressive causes.

smugness is not about being right, but how you present your case

of course i'm not careful about being smug or snarky on something awful dot com, you think i talk like that if i'm speaking to someone i want to persuade?

ps that wasn't an emptyquote
pps you still haven't explained how someone who is afraid of a liberal SCOTUS isn't an idiot or an rear end in a top hat

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

iospace posted:

Only one on this page? :confused:

the trauma of reading me can persist a while tho

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

breaklaw posted:

man for a republican, you sure are whiny as gently caress :smugbert:

whats with republicans being so loving whiny when their viewpoints, which by the way are hosed up and racist, get called out on it :sad:

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Very respectable losers and vote thieves

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

breaklaw posted:

:smugdon:

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
More loving Clinton triangulation and moderation instead of turning out the goddamn base.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

breaklaw posted:

The more I read and think about this deplorables thing, the more I'm starting to sympathize with the people who are offended by this.

I can see people looking at this comment from Clinton against the backdrop of a modern progressive discourse where conservative views and policy positions are soundly and almost universally declared to be wholly invalid on their own merits, and nothing more than an attempt to cover for the real reason an individual may take these positions, which is of course naked racism\misogny\*phobia etc.

I mean even without Trump, a huge number of liberal in the media will imply or outright accuse moderates and conservatives who disagree with the current liberal consensus on any issue of only doing so out of hatred for one demographic group or another.

A well known example is how there is no legitimate pro-life position to many the modern left. These people don't actually value human life, they're just misogynists making up weak excuses for their deep-seated hatred of women, which they obviously feel whether they realize it or not.

During the Bush administration there was a similar dynamic on the right. Back then on Fox News and talk radio, and even in the mainstream media sometimes, it was either you support Bush and the Iraq war, or you hate America and wish to see it destroyed. No in-between, either you support what I support or there is something wrong with you.

I can see people viewing Clinton's comments in a similar way that I viewed the all the America-hater poo poo from the right back then as a hash critic of Bush's foreign policy.

I think Clinton's 'deplorables' are far closer to Romney's '47%' than posters itt are willing to admit. Both are coming from a stance where support for the opposing candidate is evidence of something inherently wrong or broken in the supporter. Even though Clinton admitted she was over-generalizing, "half" is way too high of an estimate for what she was talking about.

This post is a good explanation of why her comment works because "I'm starting to sympathize with the people who are offended by this." sounds like "I sympathize with racist" and quibbling about it looks weak af.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

AngryBooch posted:

More loving Clinton triangulation and moderation instead of turning out the goddamn base.

Makes me sad that we couldn't have a Obama vs Trump campaign.

Okonner
Dec 11, 2008

by exmarx

AngryBooch posted:

My kingdom for a democrat with a loving spine. Double down and make the media report on the ridiculously high percentage of Trump voters who believe Obama is muslim, mexicans are all rapists, get upset at hearing foreign languages spoken, muslim ban, etc.

Guys, guys, "deplorable" is A Thing now and Hillary is absolutely smart to pivot back to attacking Trump while the media is going to be grilling the GOP about the alt right for her.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
I can't believe this fat loving idiot man baby is going to get elected to the most powerful office in the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Karl Sharks posted:

https://twitter.com/BarbaraJeanBtq/status/774655506250080256

i really love the people who act like statistics would even apply like that

like if you told a room of 3 guys that 1 in 3 guys are gay they'd try to figure out who is the gay guy no i'm totally straight, but it must be one of us!!

1 of 3 gay. so what.

• Locked thread