Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

VibrantPareidolia, you've mismarked those spoilers as Case 2 btw, when they're really referring to case 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Case 3, Trial Day 2: Ahhh Tahrust Inmee please put your shirt back on before Maya stops channeling you :gonk:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I'm glad that Case 2 managed to be a better finale to the plot of Apollo Justice than the game itself could muster

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Case 5, Trial 1: Holy poo poo, a civil case is the last thing I expected from this series, to say nothing of the circumstances. :supaburn: Where the hell is Maya, though? You'd think she'd have something to say about the Crystal of Ami Fey belonging to some rando politician family.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Athena is cool out of the court but analytical psychology sucks

gimmicks are aight in investigations, but courtrooms don't need gimmicks, especially ones that are completely obvious like "why is ___ happy that their friend died??"

fronz fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Sep 10, 2016

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

alcharagia posted:

I'm glad that Case 2 managed to be a better finale to the plot of Apollo Justice than the game itself could muster

:yeah:

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

fronz posted:

gimmicks are aight in investigations, but courtrooms don't need gimmicks, especially ones that are completely obvious like "why is ___ happy that their friend died??"

Personally, I love the Mood Matrix. At least better than the Seances. I'd totally be up for an Athena spinoff that's just using the MM to solve people's emotional problems.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

fronz posted:

this is what i meant when i said athena sucks

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Holy poo poo. Late in the case 5 trial day 2

Two final bosses for the price of one! You shouldn't have!

At least her theme is amazing.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I like the MM because they contain images of the defendant doing the murder.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012
Good as case 2 has been, and although I'm not quite finished yet, it was annoying to have figured out Retinz's real identity the moment he made that video camera disappear. That was well before it was actually revealed and kind of spoiled the whole moment of realisation the player is clearly meant to have. Hopefully there's another big twist on the way.

EDIT:

Irony Be My Shield posted:

This has always been my favourite part of that whole mechanic.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
That first case is pretty drat dark for a PW intro. Gaspen Payne literally tried to get Phoenix executed, along with a nine year old child. :stonk: For a guy whose whole character is "he's incompetent and his hair keeps flying off" that was pretty drat spiteful.

It also had probably the best first killer of any of the games so far.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

And sometimes, the images involved are amazing. :allears:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I finished Case 3. Good lord that was depressing. :smith: There's a very small handful of situations where Ace Attorney cases end on such a low note and they really pulled it off well this time. I didn't figure everything out ahead of time because my base assumption of going up against an unrepentant criminal was so strong, that it took until the thought route itself for me to realize that I was already at the end. Geez.

The worst thing someone did in this case was Tahrust framing Maya... but man I can't even hold it against him when he did so by loving murdering himself to protect his wife. They made a really effective case for the hosed up legal system being to blame for this whole thing.

I really like the weird grim tone of this game. It's extremely different from the usual, but I think they're doing it well and I'm eager to see how we're going to force this country to change.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Case 5 day 2 late super spoilers:
But you forget, Your Magistry, that the defendant in this case, is a loving GHOST! :(

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

LordHippoman posted:

That first case is pretty drat dark for a PW intro. Gaspen Payne literally tried to get Phoenix executed, along with a nine year old child. :stonk: For a guy whose whole character is "he's incompetent and his hair keeps flying off" that was pretty drat spiteful.

It also had probably the best first killer of any of the games so far.

The kid would have just been convicted, since the DA Act didn't apply to him, just Phoenix.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Case 5: :psyboom:

And there's still so much left?!

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Kay Kessler posted:

The kid would have just been convicted, since the DA Act didn't apply to him, just Phoenix.

Nah, Gaspen specifically requested the death penalty for the kid, and the DA Act, if I remember right, said that the defence attorney would get the same punishment as their client.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Case 4, very early: I read up on soba, rakugo, and Jugemu as soon as they were mentioned and thus got the joke about the latter, what now localizers :smug:

E: I just looked up Tokisoba too

This is fun though it will probably make the case last a bit long :v:

E2: Aw I can't find anything on "Soba Sei/Glutton" if it's also a real one

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Sep 10, 2016

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I remember Blackquill's matrix being good and climactic too.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Terper posted:

Case 5: :psyboom:

And there's still so much left?!

Wait, are there 6 cases?

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

fronz posted:

The mood matrix is never used for something like this.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

fronz posted:

Wait, are there 6 cases?
No, tradition is kept, but case 5 is ridiculous. I can begin to see the light at the end of the tunnel, however.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

cloofish posted:

The mood matrix is never used for something like this.

I used it for something like that immediately before I posted.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Mood Matrix is pretty much the same as Perceive in that it would work better outside the court as a replacement for the Magatama instead of just being another way of pressing the person on the stand.

Case 3 trial day 1 That Insight was way harder than the last one, and I have a feeling they're all going to be sorta fimmicky like this. It's hard to tell what is intentionally there as a contradiction and what isn't.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Apollo is a loving superhero

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

*Turnabout Sisters starts playing*

I'm not gonna loving cry.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

And so the credits roll

Fuuuuuuuuuckkkkkkk

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Waffleman_ posted:

*Turnabout Sisters starts playing*

I'm not gonna loving cry.
I really like the new rendition.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I just realized it seems the prologue anime doesn't have poo poo to do with poo poo (General/I guess Case 1)

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

And so ends Spirit of Justice! I'm gonna need some time to collect my thoughts on every case (and I also need to sleep) before I share my thoughts on them, but as a whole, I think it is the best game in the Apollo trilogy. Apollo is a superhero, good and just(ice).

I'd rank the cases as 4 < 1 < 3 < 2 < 5.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Lmao case 4 is ridiculous. Spoilers are up to the first save point: What a convoluted mess of a case. I have no idea where this fourth personality is going to lead us but I have a strong feeling that he's not the real killer. We've barely even spoken to Geiru and something has to be going on with her and that dog.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Waffleman_ posted:

I just realized it seems the prologue anime doesn't have poo poo to do with poo poo (General/I guess Case 1)
Yeah that occurred to me earlier today too. Kind of reminds me of that promotional OVA thing for Virtue's Last Reward that ended up being different from the final game.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Case 3 has the best joke in the entire series. "In my country, suspects are innocent until proven guilty."

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I'm kind of annoyed with the way they use "lawyer" in this game to refer only to the defense. Are prosecutors not considered lawyers?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Momomo posted:

I'm kind of annoyed with the way they use "lawyer" in this game to refer only to the defense. Are prosecutors not considered lawyers?

I'm pretty sure the series has always used the word that way

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

It has, it just seems even worse here when you have Sahdmahi, the best prosecutor ever, talking about how all lawyers should go to hell.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

And so ends another game without Phoenix telling Apollo and Trucy about their mother.

E:spoke too soon
:v:

Kazy fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Sep 10, 2016

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Case 4, full: It seems like some people weren't too hot on this case, but I really liked it! Possibly better than the first one even, though Pees'lubin was a better villain. The mystery was extremely convoluted but I had fun teasing it out step by step and the final realization was pretty cool.

I also really enjoyed educating myself about all the various Japanese cultural things that were involved.

The ending was pretty sad despite catching Geiru being satisfying. Her reason for murdering him was so tragically dumb.

Onwards to the final case!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I beat it! Amazing game, best AA since 3, easily. Maybe best in the series, but we'll see how I feel about it in a week.