Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Walked posted:

Ok, Tarmogoyf side by side and what I'm talking about.

Side by side (real left, fake right):

the flash really accentuates the difference, but even side-by-side in natural light they dont look unreasonably different

Let's look at the set symbols first:

REAL:

FAKE:

Okay. How about the mana symbols:

REAL::

FAKE:

Finally, text:

REAL:

FAKE:

In summary, they are printing everything separate black layer aside from the set symbol. Fun times.

edit:
Here is older, previous generation fake from before they were printing the set symbols on a different layer:

drat, even the rosetting is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
I can't tell the difference between the real and fake {G} symbol

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

dragon enthusiast posted:

I can't tell the difference between the real and fake {G} symbol

There is none, that's the point. The older fakes had a difference.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Chill la Chill posted:

Exactly.

At this stage, the only real giveaway is the texture (which can be hit with steel wool to fix) and the set symbol. They are disgustingly good these days.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

What loupe do you use? I need to get one.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Walked posted:

Ok, Tarmogoyf side by side and what I'm talking about.

Side by side (real left, fake right):

the flash really accentuates the difference, but even side-by-side in natural light they dont look unreasonably different

Let's look at the set symbols first:

REAL:

FAKE:

Okay. How about the mana symbols:

REAL::

FAKE:

Finally, text:

REAL:

FAKE:

In summary, they are printing everything separate black layer aside from the set symbol. Fun times.

edit:
Here is older, previous generation fake from before they were printing the set symbols on a different layer:

drat, those are good, especially the rosette. A couple years ago my Seattle buddy ordered a print from every maker he could find to test differences and none of them were that hard to distinguish. Regarding the coloring difference, a lot of sets have subtle coloration differences between print runs that can be noticeable in the right light, so I wouldn't even give that a second glance unless I knew I was looking for a fake.

I,for one, am looking forward to the point where fakes are almost completely indistinguishable and the market gets flooded to tank prices.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

why is there no stream for gp louisville

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

ShaneB posted:

What loupe do you use? I need to get one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015RINTFM/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cheap and great insurance

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Walked posted:

Exactly.

At this stage, the only real giveaway is the texture (which can be hit with steel wool to fix) and the set symbol. They are disgustingly good these days.

Hang on, gonna buy playsets of all the abu duals for 100 bucks then rub em with the steel wool.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Elyv posted:

wotc doesnt want to reinvest any of their profit into their game

i mean, uh, they cant afford it

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Count Bleck posted:

Hang on, gonna buy playsets of all the abu duals for 100 bucks then rub em with the steel wool.

Ah, for the authentic "mom left a box in the attic and had just recently rediscovered it" feel.

Watch people slap perfect fits on them and legacy events start to skyrocket.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Elyv posted:

They cut GP stream funding last year.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Angry Grimace posted:

They cut GP stream funding last year.

Clearly, the Chinese Fake Cards Organizations are cutting into their funds.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
These pictures only want to make me purchase the proxies.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

80s James Hetfield posted:

These pictures only want to make me purchase the proxies.

They're totally fine and I don't care if people play with them so long as they're not selling them as real and charging accordingly.

I use them in EDH decks and decks for testing against

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

The Shortest Path posted:

drat, those are good, especially the rosette. A couple years ago my Seattle buddy ordered a print from every maker he could find to test differences and none of them were that hard to distinguish. Regarding the coloring difference, a lot of sets have subtle coloration differences between print runs that can be noticeable in the right light, so I wouldn't even give that a second glance unless I knew I was looking for a fake.

I,for one, am looking forward to the point where fakes are almost completely indistinguishable and the market gets flooded to tank prices.

Same, this is just the end result of the model WotC's got going on

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Elyv posted:

Because WotC is trying to make their game a legitimate e-sport by not broadcasting most of its bigger events which makes sense because

Have fun not having any good stores to play at I guess?

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

They're going to introduce a format that is Holo only, just watch.

Then let legacy and modern die entirely

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Anyone have an recommended Conspiracy 2 primers? I have a draft today!

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

suicidesteve posted:

Because WotC is trying to make their game a legitimate e-sport by not broadcasting most of its bigger events which makes sense because

MTGO finally booms in business since nobody can trust their cardboard

*Wizards M.Bison laughs*

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

suicidesteve posted:

Good local stores do not make their money in the sale of hundreds-of-dollar reserved list legacy staples. This will help stores, because more people will be able to show up to Legacy and Modern events.

Anything printed since Origins isn't going to be counterfeited because of the foil seal thing at the bottom of the card, fakes won't impact the stuff stores are selling.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
This just makes me want to get more expensive fakes and only buy cards for modern decks that are <20 bucks.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

suicidesteve posted:

I'm admittedly a scrub that mostly does drafts a couple times a month as time allows, or Prereleases when the set looks fun, but if fakes of that level of quality were available on the cheap then I'd be playing a hell of a lot more often just because I could afford to put together a deck (or multiple decks) for Standard or Modern events (which are the two formats that appeal to me most) without spending literally hundreds of dollars per deck.

I don't see how that hurts LGS, given that I'm still paying the fee to play in tournaments and probably spending money besides that on concessions, the occasional pack, maybe a playmat, etc.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Sep 10, 2016

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Someone seriously told me that the reserved list needs to stay in place because removing it would cause hundreds of LGS stores to shut down.

How many LGS have a serious market in reserved list staples that have a tiny consumer base?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

kizudarake posted:

This just makes me want to get more expensive fakes and only buy cards for modern decks that are <20 bucks.

Same.

I want to live in a world where the best legacy decks are only 3-400 dollars.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Alaan posted:

Anyone have an recommended Conspiracy 2 primers? I have a draft today!

Draft a shitton of cards with the same name as they flow with most of the conspiracies that way.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Retromancer posted:

Someone seriously told me that the reserved list needs to stay in place because removing it would cause hundreds of LGS stores to shut down.

How many LGS have a serious market in reserved list staples that have a tiny consumer base?

The market will adjust as these stupid LGSs shut down. I mean, that's pretty much what happened to the comic book boom and crash of the early 90s as I heard it. The bad stores were culled.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

I'm admittedly a scrub that mostly does drafts a couple times a month as time allows, or Prereleases when the set looks fun, but if fakes of that level of quality were available on the cheap then I'd be playing a hell of a lot more often just because I could afford to put together a deck (or multiple decks) for Standard or Modern events (which are the two formats that appeal to me most) without spending literally hundreds of dollars per deck.

I don't see how that hurts stores, given that I'm still paying the fee to play in tournaments and probably spending money besides that on concessions, the occasional pack, maybe a playmat, etc.

You answered your own question. You're not giving them hundreds of dollars for singles that probably cost them half of that but you're giving them $10 for a tournament that probably costs them $8 to run.

I'm all for having the game be affordable but completely destroying the secondary market is a pretty bad idea if you want the game to continue existing in its current form.

Good local stores do not make their money in the sale of hundreds-of-dollar reserved list legacy staples. This will help stores, because more people will be able to show up to Legacy and Modern events

What does this have to do with anything that I posted or with your original post? Counterfeit all the reserved list cards you want. Screw the Craig Berrys and Dan Bocks of the world.

Saying you want to see the market get flooded and prices tank when talking about a Tarmogoyf or Blood Moon isn't the same thing as saying you want reserved list cards to be reprinted. And again, I don't see how a store's stock of modern staples becoming worthless is supposed to help that store when running a tournament that it doesn't, or barely, makes money on.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Plus you know that if they ditched the reserved list they'd do a legacy masters reprint set full of stuff like Anaba ancestor with maybe Bazaar and Tabernacle reprinted at mythic

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

There's stores that don't have a primary income of magic sales. They sell board games and/or have transitioned into gaming cafes. I haven't done enough research about the market to say what would survive, but to say they must exist on magic cards is asinine.

There were probably a lot of comic book store owners who wondered how any local stores existed without the comic boom in the late 80s/early 90s.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Retromancer posted:

Plus you know that if they ditched the reserved list they'd do a legacy masters reprint set full of stuff like Anaba ancestor with maybe Bazaar and Tabernacle reprinted at mythic

They could finally reprint Thunder Spirit!

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Retromancer posted:

Nah, they'd be hyper-ultra-ghost mythic. One per print run of the entire set.

Also don't forget Homarid Shaman.

Chill la Chill posted:

There's stores that don't have a primary income of magic sales. They sell board games and/or have transitioned into gaming cafes. I haven't done enough research about the market to say what would survive, but to say they must exist on magic cards is asinine.

There were probably a lot of comic book store owners who wondered how any local stores existed without the comic boom in the late 80s/early 90s.

I can think of at least 3 stores out of the 5 that I go to with any regularity that would probably go out of business, or at least be in very bad shape, if Magic died. They all have other stuff aside from Magic/TCGs but that's their main source of income.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Chill la Chill posted:

This is exactly right. No successful game store focuses primarily on Magic (or any other CCG/TCG). Anecdotal, but all the ones I've seen who have, closed down within 2 years.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I agree. Any game store that bases a large part of their business on trading singles is doing it wrong. The big online retailers can do it better than you and more efficiently. Concentrate on what actually differentiates your store: proximity to people. Run solid events that people want to go to. Run drafts to get people opening some decent margin product.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Hey, shitters, you can rail against the reserve list and expensive cards all you want, but if you want to support counterfeits, do it elsewhere as this isn't the forum for that.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

suicidesteve posted:

You answered your own question. You're not giving them hundreds of dollars for singles that probably cost them half of that but you're giving them $10 for a tournament that probably costs them $8 to run.

I'm all for having the game be affordable but completely destroying the secondary market is a pretty bad idea if you want the game to continue existing in its current form.

I haven't bought a single or a playset of cards at a LGS since 2001, if even then. None of the stores that I go to rely solely on MTG sales for their income. For most of them, MTG isn't even their biggest money maker.

I don't think anyone is asking for the secondary market to get destroyed. I personally think the reserved list is stupid, but I don't care if they keep it around forever. I do care that the price of tournament staples or constructed-worthy cards is consistently high enough to price me out of playing the game at the level or frequency that I would prefer to, and I know I'm one of many with that mindset. Yes, it's always been that way with MTG, but that doesn't mean that it's a good status quo or that it's healthy for the game overall. If it takes a glut of (apparently) high-quality fakes to get those prices down because WOTC can't or won't do so, then I'm okay with that.

As I, and others, have said, lower prices for cards would spur more patronage of LGS, more participation in tournaments, and probably more money spent on MTG products. I can understand the moral or legal arguments against it, but this concern trolling about fakes being the "death of MTG" is a bit exaggerated.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Sep 10, 2016

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Count Bleck posted:

They could finally reprint Thunder Spirit!

i have hundreds of dollars worth of thunder spirits because i bought a bunch as a joke a long time ago. altho i genuinely doubt thunder spirit is actually valued at its current price by literally anyone. it shouldnt be. then again,

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

AlternateNu posted:

This is exactly right. No successful game store focuses primarily on Magic (or any other CCG/TCG). Anecdotal, but all the ones I've seen who have, closed down within 2 years.

Here in San Diego we have at least one store that does nothing but Magic and hasn't for a long time. They just opened a new location, even.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

Angry Grimace posted:

Here in San Diego we have at least one store that does nothing but Magic and hasn't for a long time. They just opened a new location, even.

What store is this? Is it a good environment? So far I've only drafted with friends but I am thinking about doing it at a store sometime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Toshimo posted:

Hey, shitters, you can rail against the reserve list and expensive cards all you want, but if you want to support counterfeits, do it elsewhere as this isn't the forum for that.

When you become a mod you can make the rules, okay?

Chill la Chill posted:

kizudarake posted:

And that is another reason why modern is the best format.

• Locked thread