Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

THICK AND FAST

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

I don't understand how multiplayer would even work for a game like this

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Daztek posted:

Player vs. player farm wars. Nobody's going to beat me in the Stardew Valley Fair. NOBODY.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

GrandpaPants posted:

Player vs. player farm wars. Nobody's going to beat me in the Stardew Valley Fair. NOBODY.

You step up to the king, you best not miss. Your skull will be turned into bonemeal for my farm's enrichment.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
No Man's Multiplayer Farm

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

rt4 posted:

No Man's Multiplayer Farm

I'd kill for some procedurally-generated corn.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Daztek posted:

It would be easy, just make 4 player farms and disallow sleeping unless everyone is in bed.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

4 player with 1 womans? Penny shameful.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Mega64 posted:

I'd kill for some procedurally-generated corn.

But now Sentinels attack you when you're fishing.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I won't be satisfied unless I can salt the earth of my enemies and steal their women/men.

Are you seducing Penny? gently caress you, find something better than the Poppy I just gave her, scrub.

4 players, 4 farms, one town. :black101:

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Daztek posted:

Same way it works in Don't Starve. 2 people, 1 farm. You both contribute for your common good. You know, kinda like how it works when you have roommates or have a family.

Or like when you get married in-game; only your spouse is actually helpful.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Daztek posted:

Neither does Chucklefish.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Daztek posted:

Two farms. Shared village. Compete in holiday contests and for the hearts of the villagers.

That's the only way I can imagine it. A cooperative farm would feel like a really tacked on multiplayer.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Daztek posted:

Davoren posted:

Neither does Chucklefish.

Well gosh, I imagine it'll be something along the lines of what was shown in the Greenlight/Alpha videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJggZec6qqo

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

I hope there's a friendly fire option.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

armoredgorilla posted:

Well gosh, I imagine it'll be something along the lines of what was shown in the Greenlight/Alpha videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJggZec6qqo

That's exactly what my wife and I want!

It kills me that the video is from 3 years ago and we still don't have multiplayer. Just do exactly that please. I promise not to complain when my wife spends all the money on new seeds and I can't buy drinks at the bar.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Mountaineer posted:

New farm layouts look like they take away a lot of crop-growing space, but that can be a good thing for those of us who are sick of mass-producing crops.

I use -at the very most- maybe about half the space of the actual farm. Including big-rear end pastures for getting rare animal drops.

This is a welcome addition.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

gmq posted:

I know multiplayer is really hard but if you have a company doing it I would have expected it to have been already done. It's like Chucklefish has one intern working on it.

EDIT: I mean, it's hard but is it "more than a year working solely on that since the original dev is doing everything else" hard?

I think you underestimate the work involved. Building a game from scratch with multiplayer in mind is one thing, going back to an existing, finished game and adding multiplayer is a completely different ball game.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

I just figured out if you put a floor underneath a scarecrow or sprinkler it doesn't knock it down when you use the hoe. Makes it really easy for planting poo poo at the start of the season.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

limp_cheese posted:

I just figured out if you put a floor underneath a scarecrow or sprinkler it doesn't knock it down when you use the hoe. Makes it really easy for planting poo poo at the start of the season.

When you make a lot of money you plant trash crops at the end of the season so you can scythe them down the next day, something like 75-80% stay as dead crops

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

limp_cheese posted:

Yeah, I finally figured out that trick as well and it shaves off so much time.

I did not realize the beehives wouldn't work in the greenhouse so my big fairy flower plan was a no go. Oops.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

Yeah, I finally figured out that trick as well and it shaves off so much time.

I did not realize the beehives wouldn't work in the greenhouse so my big fairy flower plan was a no go. Oops.
That combined with the mod that lets you harvest anything with the scythe makes farming so much better.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

:( mods always seem cool but I'm a fakeass gamer using a mac.

Scythe to harvest all would be so convenient. Harvesting and replanting is so painful that next year i think I'm just gonna reduce plants and go more towards ranching.

Making a ton of money doesn't matter at this point, I'll care more about that after the update.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
CA made an update a few days ago based on the PAX info. Has some additional images on the new farm types.

I wonder if the Wilderness farm will actually require the use of fences or if monsters will ignore crops?

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
The ability to build turrets, monster-traps, and scarecrow soldiers. The ability to farm monster drops into unique artisan items. The scaled difficulty and randomly generated Link to the Past style dungeons where-

Sorry I let my expectations get away from me.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

MrSlam posted:

The ability to build turrets, monster-traps, and scarecrow soldiers. The ability to farm monster drops into unique artisan items. The scaled difficulty and randomly generated Link to the Past style dungeons where-

Sorry I let my expectations get away from me.

Now you make me want to advocate for a Plants VS Zombies X Stardew crossover.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

This probably has been answered before, but if I completely ignore all the social stuff the first year so that I can be Maximum Industrial Farmer am I missing out on anything or can I just start it all the next year?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Aside from one particular social cutscene with the blonde guy, nah.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
You can always just grow two flowers a week and give them to someone.

If you're visiting town, it's trivial to pop in and hand one to somebody.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

WarpedNaba posted:

Aside from one particular social cutscene with the blonde guy, nah.

Yeah, you seriously just miss one Sam cutscene from what I understand. It's a good one, but you can... you know... watch it on youtube if you super care or whatever, I'm sure.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

I'm kinda pissed off.

Next week is crunch week at work - I just know I'm going to be working late.

And I know that SV is going to do the 1.1 update while I'm too busy to game.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

WarpedNaba posted:

I'm kinda pissed off.

Next week is crunch week at work - I just know I'm going to be working late.

And I know that SV is going to do the 1.1 update while I'm too busy to game.

Ha ha as if it'll come out any time soon.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
It's been some months since I played and I'm.. kinda surprised that it doesn't look like modding has gone a hell of a lot farther than it did when I stopped. I'm not sure what I was expecting to find on the official forums, but seeing page after page of lovely anime portrait mods thankfully doesn't come as a surprise. I saw a post a few pages back with some good stuff, so I guess I'll give it a shot. Maybe my save won't get corrupted until 1.1 comes out.

Coincidentally, I have no idea how effectively I'm doing things. I'm on Spring 24 of the first year, it looks like I'm at level 80-something in the mine, and I'm using something like four 3x3 plots for my farming, which presumably I did so I could hit the mine aggressively without losing all my time/stamina on the fields. Who knows. Any suggestions going into summer?

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

So, sprinklers are useless right?

EDIT: Quality sprinklers seem expensive for what little they actually water. Or maybe my coal deficit is affecting how I see things that use ore bars.

lunar detritus fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Sep 10, 2016

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Meldonox posted:

Coincidentally, I have no idea how effectively I'm doing things. I'm on Spring 24 of the first year, it looks like I'm at level 80-something in the mine, and I'm using something like four 3x3 plots for my farming, which presumably I did so I could hit the mine aggressively without losing all my time/stamina on the fields. Who knows. Any suggestions going into summer?

You're doing it right, just buy all the blueberry seeds you can on Summer 1. Spring crops suck for profitability, better to spend your time in the mines so as to acquire gold (and then iridium) for as many quality/iridium sprinklers as you can make before fall.

gmq posted:

EDIT: Quality sprinklers seem expensive for what little they actually water. Or maybe my coal deficit is affecting how I see things that use ore bars.

Quality sprinklers are great and gold is plentiful at the bottom levels of the mine. Iridium is even better of course but a field full of quality sprinklers saves you a bunch of time and energy and enables you to belt out far more cranberries than you otherwise could.

The best way to get coal in bulk is to wait for a bad luck day and bounce back and forth between levels 55 and 65 of the mine, killing dust sprites.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Sep 10, 2016

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

gmq posted:

Sprinklers are pretty much the best thing ever. Crops are your main source of income and sprinklers mean you only have to check crops on harvest days. Quality sprinklers are the sweet spot for ease of use vs cost.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

rotinaj posted:

You step up to the king, you best not miss. Your skull will be turned into bonemeal for my farm's enrichment.

What the gently caress did you just loving say about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the West Point Farm Academy, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret parsnip harvesting operations, and I have over 300 confirmed legendary fish. I am trained in artisan goods and I’m the number one loving farmer in the entire Stardew Valley. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the gently caress out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my loving words. You think you can get away with saying that poo poo to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting Sebastian and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life.

You’re loving dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can harvest parsnips in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hands. Not only do I have ten ranks in the every single skill, but I'm ten hearts will every single resident in Stardew Valley and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable rear end off the face of the continent, you little poo poo. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your loving tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will poo poo fury all over you and you will drown in it. You’re loving dead, kiddo. Your parsnips are mine.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
No lie, the caves look far more exciting in that Greenlight video.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I wonder if any of the new farm setups will be worth using. Not worth as in as profitable as goon sperg farming but enough to be worth all the inconvenience of getting your buildings blocked by crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Poil posted:

I wonder if any of the new farm setups will be worth using. Not worth as in as profitable as goon sperg farming but enough to be worth all the inconvenience of getting your buildings blocked by crap.

The fishing map looks like hardmode, to be honest, but it kinda sounds like the monster map is the normal one, but with monsters at night, so that one should be fine.