Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I wonder how much all the video game stuff lengthens the time everyone else is waiting for their music to be pressed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

EL BROMANCE posted:

I wonder how much all the video game stuff lengthens the time everyone else is waiting for their music to be pressed.

I would blame all of those Boston and Aerosmith represses more.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Schremp Howard posted:

I would blame all of those Boston and Aerosmith represses more.

I'm going to blame them both equally.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Blame this first:
https://www.discogs.com/Herb-Alpert-The-Tijuana-Brass-Whipped-Cream-Other-Delights/release/7757693

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I would bet that an influx of low quantity runs of special bullshit shaped picture disc videogame soundtracks takes up like 30% of a plant's time these days

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I'm sure it's not helped by Jack White trying to press holographic reverse tracking ten-sided copies of Blunderbuss onto discs made of peanut brittle and play-doh.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

a worthy uhh posted:

I would bet that an influx of low quantity runs of special bullshit shaped picture disc videogame soundtracks takes up like 30% of a plant's time these days

I'm probably wrong but the Drift Stage cars don't even feel like pressed vinyl to me, seems more like two chunks of acrylic plastic with a piece of paper glued in between.

e. I must be looking at the wrong release logs cause I'm not seeing this massive overtaking of releases by video games

SeXReX fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Sep 3, 2016

MNSNTZR
Oct 13, 2012
Thanks a ton to the folks that suggested Breakaway and End of an Ear to me a week or so back. I spent a bunch of money I didn't need to spend! :downs:

Other than the Gary Wilson and Magma albums, this was probably my coolest find for a dollar at Half Price Books:

I also won a dirt cheap bid for a relatively expensive record while I was travelling!

So thanks again, y'all. As soon as I get the download codes together, I'll post them.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
Didn't spot it until this morning, but FE is having a %15 off sale until the end of the day: https://www.forcedexposure.com/Home.html

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
Got my fav vinyls up on the wall. Apartament too small to setup my player for now, so eh

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!
It's always fun when it's obvious someone died and their record collection was sent to the thrift shop. There was a lot of Johnny Mathis albums today at one today, and I wouldn't consider Ol' Mathis an ubiquitous Thrift Shop filler like your James Lasts or Herb Alperts or Mitch Millers or Max Bygraves' or Kamahls (to give a very Australian example).

Who do you guys consider Thrift Shop filler?

Mace Bacon fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Sep 6, 2016

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Mace Bacon posted:

It's always fun when it's obvious someone died and their record collection was sent to the thrift shop. There was a lot of Johnny Mathis albums today at one today, and I wouldn't consider Ol' Mathis an ubiquitous Thrift Shop filler like your James Lasts or Herb Alperts or Mitch Millers or Max Bygraves' or Kamahls (to give a very Australian example).

my local thrift shop has a large library of recordings of various local high school bands performing, I assume thats not exactly rare.

one of the spots on the shelf has been the same 20 copies of "the first family" since I started going there.

goodyear tire christmas compilations out the wazoo

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
In Finnish flea markets there is usually a lot of Russian music. I have no idea why.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Mace Bacon posted:

Firestone Christmas albums.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Every time I dig past a Boots Randolph album at a thrift store I think about the Towers falling. Thanks SA.

Stelio Kontos
Feb 12, 2014
New Day To Remember is sweet.

Bonus download code

[taken]

Stelio Kontos fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Sep 6, 2016

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

10 days later and Insound still haven't even bothered to respond to my query as to why my order was cancelled. Ugh they suck so much.

In happier news my local walking distance place in Fort Lauderdale seems good, reasonably enough priced, and has a little drum and bass section to remind me of home.

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

10 days later and Insound still haven't even bothered to respond to my query as to why my order was cancelled. Ugh they suck so much.
I'm pretty sure it was mentioned that the website is shutting down so they probably ran out of the records you ordered and don't care that much about customer service since their business won't exist in a month

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Stelio Kontos posted:

New Day To Remember is sweet.

Bonus download code

Downloaded. Thanks!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

I'm pretty sure it was mentioned that the website is shutting down so they probably ran out of the records you ordered and don't care that much about customer service since their business won't exist in a month

Ah I didn't see that bit, thanks. They'd flagged my transaction as fraud for some reason and I was just trying to find out why. Saves me $100, but was looking forward to getting some new shiny things I don't really need.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
If you've got a Newbury Comics in your area they're having a 25% off sale on all records. It lasts a few days.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Going up to Seattle soon. Staying around the Pike Market area I guess. Any good shops up there? Planning on buying lots of grunge records so I don't look like a tourist.

Here is a picture to trigger everyone's OCD...

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

sporklift posted:

Going up to Seattle soon. Staying around the Pike Market area I guess.

Apparently there's a place in the Market itself that has a really good selection of old stuff, but I haven't been there and have no idea if it's as overpriced as everything else in that area. It's in the basement (I think) so if you're in the market anyway and aren't leaving that area, that's pretty much your only choice.

However a short Uber ride away in Capitol Hill (which is where most of the good restaurants and bars are) you could easily make an afternoon of browsing, there's a few stores rift within a few blocks of each other. It's been a while since I've been there myself but I've heard great stuff about Zions Gate. Wall of Sound is more local / obscure poo poo. Everyday Music is alright too.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Peas and Rice posted:

Apparently there's a place in the Market itself that has a really good selection of old stuff, but I haven't been there and have no idea if it's as overpriced as everything else in that area. It's in the basement (I think) so if you're in the market anyway and aren't leaving that area, that's pretty much your only choice.

However a short Uber ride away in Capitol Hill (which is where most of the good restaurants and bars are) you could easily make an afternoon of browsing, there's a few stores rift within a few blocks of each other. It's been a while since I've been there myself but I've heard great stuff about Zions Gate. Wall of Sound is more local / obscure poo poo. Everyday Music is alright too.

Cool. I figured the prices might suck. Will probably be up in Capitol Hill a bit. Didn't know there was an Everyday up there.

The Gallows
Aug 10, 2007

Yip-yip-yip-yip... Uh-huh.
I'm going to be in Philadelphia for about 5 days mid October. Any suggested shops for punk/metal/local?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

sporklift posted:

Going up to Seattle soon. Staying around the Pike Market area I guess. Any good shops up there? Planning on buying lots of grunge records so I don't look like a tourist.

My poo poo's a way bigger mess than that.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

sporklift posted:

Singles Going Steady is my favorite record store in Seattle, mostly punk stuff. Sonic Boom is your typical indie music store, with 2 or 3 locations ... mostly new stuff, but some used. Everyday Music has anything and everything, while Jive Time has a garage sale vibe.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

Peas and Rice posted:

I went to this one but u didn't pay much attention to price because I didn't find anything too interesting

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Stopped by a Salvation Army earlier and gave the lps a quick browse, not expecting anything. Saw a 2lp soundtrack to Repulsion, so I grabbed that without really looking since I was in a rush.

Now I'm the dumb owner of the Criterion Collection laserdisc release of Repulsion :confuoot:

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Snowy posted:

Stopped by a Salvation Army earlier and gave the lps a quick browse, not expecting anything. Saw a 2lp soundtrack to Repulsion, so I grabbed that without really looking since I was in a rush.

Now I'm the dumb owner of the Criterion Collection laserdisc release of Repulsion :confuoot:

CC laserdiscs are (obviously) out of print and often contain material not on earlier or later releases, you might be able to flip that for decent cash

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Snowy posted:

Congrats on your new hobby. :retrogames:

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I tend to not ebay anything I can't get over $25 for, and this seems to fall below that. Its going straight back there, I might not even say anything and just put it back. The last thing I need is another pointless money draining hobby.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Toe Rag posted:

Singles Going Steady is my favorite record store in Seattle, mostly punk stuff. Sonic Boom is your typical indie music store, with 2 or 3 locations ... mostly new stuff, but some used. Everyday Music has anything and everything, while Jive Time has a garage sale vibe.

Jive time sounds like my jam. Got Everydays all over PDX so I might skip it up here.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
Am I being neurotic or is this a *lot* of surface noise for a brand new, newly cleaned record? I swear it wasn't this bad before I cleaned it. Cross-posting from the Vintage thread.

http://vocaroo.com/i/s02e0rmVN3B4

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

sporklift posted:

Jive time sounds like my jam. Got Everydays all over PDX so I might skip it up here.

got any Portland recommendations? I'm in town for one more day and might try to cram a record or two into my carry-on. my taste is pretty wide and basicc so I'd be mostly interested in whatever second-hand store has the widest selection

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

abraham linksys posted:

got any Portland recommendations?
No matter what kind of music you're into, you will find something utterly loving mind-blowing at Crossroads Records on Hawthorne, guaranteed. I found two copies of The Apple soundtrack, two Frogs records, a pristine copy of Ween's The Pod, all sorts of crazy poo poo.

Sadly their copy of Crispin Glover's album had the corner cut off. I kind of regret not getting that one.

It's a waste-an-entire-afternoon kind of place.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

caligulamprey posted:

No matter what kind of music you're into, you will find something utterly loving mind-blowing at Crossroads Records on Hawthorne, guaranteed. I found two copies of The Apple soundtrack, two Frogs records, a pristine copy of Ween's The Pod, all sorts of crazy poo poo.

Sadly their copy of Crispin Glover's album had the corner cut off. I kind of regret not getting that one.

It's a waste-an-entire-afternoon kind of place.

Nobody needs two copies of the Apple soundtrack. You should sell one.

To me.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

The Gallows posted:

I'm going to be in Philadelphia for about 5 days mid October. Any suggested shops for punk/metal/local?

Long in the Tooth, Repo, AKA

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

sporklift posted:

Maybe check out Bop Street in Ballard as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Toe Rag posted:

Maybe check out Bop Street in Ballard as well

If you're going to go that far afield, you might as well go to Easy Street in West Seattle.