Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Helsing posted:

Are gay and bi people typically cis-gendered?

Is this a trick question? Yes obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Brannock posted:

I'm not sure I follow PK loving SUBBAN's thinking here. It's racist to determine whether or not someone is a good cultural fit for Canada? Like, let me toss out a few "Canadian values" that I think almost everyone in this thread would agree with: sexuality shouldn't be legislated against, maple syrup should be consumed, women should be treated fairly and equally. Presumably someone who thinks that the gays should be illegal, maple syrup should be tossed out, and women should be subjugated would not be a good fit for Canada.

And what of all the people in this country who don't agree with those values? What are they? Do they get a pass?

Or how about since this is a Conservative plan, are we all cool letting Conservatives determine what it means to be Canadian?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Helsing posted:

Are gay and bi people typically cis-gendered?

Cishet refers to a single unitary point of identity in its totality. Breaking from that on either axis are the identities Pride is meant to protect: so [trans, het] [cis, gay] [trans, gay]. And yes, most gay people are cis, I figure that goes without saying.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Helsing posted:

He's assuming, and not without reason, that this is a coded appeal to racists that tries to set up an us-and-them mentality about immigrants. Sort of like the Quebec values charter had some precedents in French secularism but was clearly designed, in practice, to drum up xenophobic votes for fairly cynical electoral reasons.

I agree and can see that the Conservatives are pulling a stunt here. I don't think that necessarily makes it a bad idea though, and I think most people agree with that too, cf: high support across the political spectrum. (What makes it a bad idea is, as you point out, the high likelihood of a clumsy implementation.) Unless people are thinking now that most people who voted for the NDP and Liberals are stealth toxic racists? I assume most people in this thread would support rejecting a hypothetical Milo Yiannopoulos immigration application.

Helsing posted:

The thing is, I see our huge suburban communities as a far greater threat to our national life than immigrants. Depositing millions of newly arrived Canadians into isolated, inwardly focused and car-dependent communities with very little social life beyond your private circle of family and acquaintances seems like an awful long term policy for national unity and identity. I'd far rather target that then play into some silly racially coded anxieties about sharia law or whatever it is Leitch is hinting at. The real danger here seems to be how we design our communities and run our economy. Leave it to a conservative to look past all that and to invent a self serving and vaguely xenophobic way of blaming immigrants for our own failures.

Places like Toronto are already experiencing strain thanks to high populations. Where are these people going to live instead? They could be focused into the Maritimes, which badly needs an infusion of youth and activity, but that still runs into the problem you describe where they're not exposed enough to Canadian society. Do you have a suggested solution in mind, or are you just identifying a problem? To me this problem seems like it encompasses more than just immigrants, since it'd also affect the majority of suburban-dwelling Canadians.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Lobok posted:

And what of all the people in this country who don't agree with those values? What are they? Do they get a pass?

Or how about since this is a Conservative plan, are we all cool letting Conservatives determine what it means to be Canadian?

I don't think they should get a pass, but I'm sure you know that it's much easier to go "No thanks, we don't think you'll be a good fit for our country" than to expel a citizen to Somewhere Else. (Or to throw them in jail, or to fine them for thoughtcrime, or whatever.)

If the Conservatives present a good or reasonable or close-enough outline for what it means to be Canadian, then why not go ahead and adjust it further to something you'd see more acceptable? Alternatively, if they present a crap one, then say "This is crap, get out."

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Pinterest Mom posted:

Is this a trick question? Yes obviously.

I was confused because you appeared to be saying only trans-gendered people are allowed to have opinions on pride, then I googled "cishist" and learned that it has a distinct meaning from "cis-gendered", which is what I thought you were saying.

Having had sexual relations with both genders I guess I qualify as being allowed to have an opinion on pride (the fact I apparently need to start discussing my own private sexual history just to be allowed to have an opinion doesn't really seem like a victory for tolerance though, congratulations on making me feel like I had to say that explicitly and outloud) and I think your standard is dumb.

Arivia posted:

Cishet refers to a single unitary point of identity in its totality. Breaking from that on either axis are the identities Pride is meant to protect: so [trans, het] [cis, gay] [trans, gay]. And yes, most gay people are cis, I figure that goes without saying.

Thanks for the clarification.

Brannock posted:

I agree and can see that the Conservatives are pulling a stunt here. I don't think that necessarily makes it a bad idea though, and I think most people agree with that too, cf: high support across the political spectrum. (What makes it a bad idea is, as you point out, the high likelihood of a clumsy implementation.) Unless people are thinking now that most people who voted for the NDP and Liberals are stealth toxic racists? I assume most people in this thread would support rejecting a hypothetical Milo Yiannopoulos immigration application.

It seems like one of those ideas that is almost certainly too messy to implement. It's a nice idea that the government could somehow ensure we're all loving, tolerant and right-thinking but it just seems to go way beyond the realm of what anyone could reasonably expect a government to succeed at, at least under current conditions.

quote:

Places like Toronto are already experiencing strain thanks to high populations. Where are these people going to live instead? They could be focused into the Maritimes, which badly needs an infusion of youth and activity, but that still runs into the problem you describe where they're not exposed enough to Canadian society. Do you have a suggested solution in mind, or are you just identifying a problem? To me this problem seems like it encompasses more than just immigrants, since it'd also affect the majority of suburban-dwelling Canadians.

I think the creation and spread of suburban communities was one of the greatest social and environmental disasters of the 20th century and that where possible we should try to discourage people from constructing more suburbs, and we should do our best to encourage greater density.

But in practice there's not a lot that can be done. A lot of people who live in suburbs are happy there, the politics of the suburbs and the sense of suburban political identity are firmly ensconced and can't just be wished away, and there's strong economic pressures locking us into this model of urban design. Hopefully we can implement some marginal fixes and try to provide incentives for people to build more traditional, so called "Strong Towns" with dense and walkable downtown and plenty of duplexes and row houses rather than just endless cul-de-sacs full of cheaply built detached McMansions.

I think we in this thread could probably brainstorm plenty of government policies that could get us started but the difficulty is imagining the political circumstances in which a sitting government (or any part with a shot at forming government) would actually be willing to stake out such a novel and dangerous political position. Chances are that we may just have to wait until economic factors make suburbs less viable, and then try to fight like hell to make sure that whatever policies the government crafts in response won't make the problem even worse.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

You're in luck, September is bi visibility month.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

JawKnee posted:

which values would these be?

I was being pedantic but it's a tricky question. Think of the difference between an anti-hunter and a non-hunter. I can turn a non hunter into a hunter but an anti has their mind made up.

I am against importing anti Canadians and against letting bureaucrats screen for anti-canadians.

Good Canadian Boy
May 12, 2013

I think that an ethics test would be MOSTLY redundant in that even if you didn't believe in the values you would lie anyway. But you would also get people that so strongly believe that *being gay is wrong* or *woman should always listen to their husband* that they would say it anyway and I think it would be okay to turn down those people for others that at least have the social awareness to understand that our culture does not appreciate those "values".

And the idea that Canadian citizens wouldn't be able to pass the test is no different than American citizens not being able to pass the citizenship test.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Brannock posted:

I don't think they should get a pass, but I'm sure you know that it's much easier to go "No thanks, we don't think you'll be a good fit for our country" than to expel a citizen to Somewhere Else. (Or to throw them in jail, or to fine them for thoughtcrime, or whatever.)

If the Conservatives present a good or reasonable or close-enough outline for what it means to be Canadian, then why not go ahead and adjust it further to something you'd see more acceptable? Alternatively, if they present a crap one, then say "This is crap, get out."

Much easier to keep people out than throw them out, but if it's so important that everybody adhere to these values there are a lot more options than deportation. Is every public employee expected to pass this test? Politicians? What of the Canadian organizations the government does business with? Should we incorporate it into our citizenship tests, income tax returns, the census? If we're going to make a stand on what Canadian values are then it's hard not to read it as xenophobic lip service if we're just using it on immigrants that the same political party just last year tried to demonize.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

I think the more substantive -- and uncomfortable -- question here isn't about screening immigrants but rather about what kind of tools the government should provide minority communities for them to defend their distinctive identities and existence. For instance, Ontario used to make provisions for certain kinds of family law to be overseen by religious tribunals, the idea being an Orthodox Jewish couple could voluntarily submit themselves to the judgement of a Rabbi, or a Christian couple could use a minister (if someone with more knowledge of the precise details of this arrangement can describe it better, please do so). I think the entire system existed during the 1990s without much comment but it was shut down after people tried to extend it to Muslim communities.

I'll go ahead and say I find the idea of that kind of court reprehensible, and generally don't want the government to be empowering religious communities in that way. This is far less abstract than whether we should survey people coming into the country. Similar questions can be raised about what kind of religious schooling we want to fund or allow. I would generally be in favour of making it impossible to run high schools or primary schools on explicitly religious grounds and wish we could start taking steps to wind down and abolish the Catholic school system here in Ontario.

The thing is, these are real issues that have actual interest groups defending them. Money and political power are at stake here, unlike Leitch's proposal, which is clearly about public relations rather than any substantive policy questions.

There's also the question of whether a country with stagnant wages and salaries should really be bringing in so many immigrants in the first place when we already seem to have an over supply of labour relative to the number of decent, well paying jobs. Obviously it's good to have a pluralistic society but at times immigration can end up being a handout to corporations who don't want to face any pressure to bid up domestic wages. There's also some evidence suggesting a more culturally diverse country will have a smaller social safety net and less cohesive political culture, which is one of those uncomfortable realities that doesn't mean we shouldn't allow immigration, but which does raise some questions about whether cultural diversity cuts against a society's capability to govern itself and to resist government capture by monied interests. Of course the irony here is that if you play into fears about the social Other and drum up people's fear about immigrants then you just hand conservatives and the big businesses who fund them another way of creating divisions among society, so it's sort of a damned-if-you-do, damned-if-you-don't situation.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Brannock posted:

Shouldn't a prospective immigrant at least like the idea of Canada and want to live in Canada and participate in Canadian society? Wouldn't it be strange if someone showed up to the citizenship ceremony wrapped in an American or Chinese flag?

Uhh they're already immigrating here you idiot of course they want to live here.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Nobody's posted anything about the TPP in a while so I thought it was worth bringing up that a bunch of angry Americans, Germans and French people might save us from this crappy trade deal.

In These Times posted:

MONDAY, AUG 29, 2016, 9:08 PM
Why The TPP and TTIP Trade Deals May Now Be Dead In The Water
BY KATE ARONOFF

While the TPP has become a lightning rod for labor and other progressive organizations in the United States, the TTIP has slipped mostly under the radar stateside. (Cool Revolution/ Flickr)

The Trans-Atlantic Trade and Investment Partnership (TTIP) is dead, at least according to Angela Merkel’s second-in-command. And the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) may not be far behind.

German Vice Chancellor Sigmar Gabriel said Sunday that “negotiations with the United States have de facto failed, even though nobody is really admitting it.” According to Gabriel, who also serves as his country’s economy minister, negotiators from the European Union and United States have failed—despite 14 rounds of talks—to align on any item out of 27 chapters being discussed. Gabriel and his ministry are not directly involved in the negotiations.

EU officials were quick to downplay Sigmar’s statement, saying they hoped to “close this deal by the end of the year.” But Gabriel isn’t the first to cry foul on the TTIP, which, if enacted, would establish the world’s largest free trade zone between the United States and the EU’s 28 member states. In May, French negotiators threatened to block the agreement. U.S. negotiators have also reportedly been angry over the passage of a similar agreement between Canada and the EU, which included protections U.S. negotiators don’t want included in the TTIP.

Sunday’s TTIP news comes on the heels of Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) saying that the Senate would not vote on the TPP in the upcoming lame-duck session of Congress. (The Obama administration countered, saying it still hopes to pass the deal before the next president takes office.)

Both trade announcements follow years of protests on each side of the Atlantic to fight the TTIP and the TPP, especially from unions and environmental groups.

"The fact that TTIP has failed is testament to the hundreds of thousands of people who took to the streets to protest against it, the three million people who signed a petition calling for it to be scrapped, and the huge coalition of civil society groups, trade unions, progressive politicians and activists who came together to stop it,” writes Kevin Smith of Global Justice Now, an organization that has worked to fight TTIP in the United Kingdom.

While the TPP has become a lightning rod for labor and other progressive organizations in the United States, the TTIP has slipped mostly under the radar stateside. That’s partially because talks over it, which began in 2013, have taken place almost entirely behind closed doors. Among the proposals unearthed are provisions to open European public services to U.S. businesses and to scale back online privacy protections. European groups have also raised the concern that the deal could send jobs from their continent to the United States, where trade unions and labor protections are weaker than in the EU.

Like the TPP, the TTIP would dismantle regulations in areas like banking and the environment by limiting governments’ ability to impose rules on transnational corporations. Both trade deals would further allow the investor-state dispute settlement system, which permits corporations to sue states. (TransCanada Corp.—the Canadian company behind the now-defunct Keystone XL oil pipeline—is currently seeking $15 billion from Washington under a similar NAFTA provision for rejecting the controversial project.)

Though both presidential candidates in the United States have voiced their opposition to the TPP, neither has said much about TTIP. Hillary Clinton changed her tune on the former, which she pushed for as secretary of state. The move is largely seen as a response to dedicated protests from unions and community groups that have been mobilizing to stop the talks since they began, and as a reaction to the fact that both her primary and general election opponents have spoken out aggressively against so-called free trade agreements.

In a letter this month, a coalition of progressive groups including Demand Progress and 350 Action called on Clinton to reject a vote on the TPP in the next session. “Allowing a lame-duck vote,” they write, “would be a tacit admission that corporate interests matter more than the will of the people.”

Beyond progressive organizations’ fold, though, lies a growing bipartisan resentment of NAFTA-style deals. A poll released in April found that just 17 percent of Germans and 18 percent of Americans support the TTIP—likely not enough to save deals like the TTIP and TPP from a political climate that increasingly sees free trade agreements as anything but free.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Helsing posted:

Nobody's posted anything about the TPP in a while so I thought it was worth bringing up that a bunch of angry Americans, Germans and French people might save us from this crappy trade deal.

Canada be all like, "b-b-but we're already lubed up guys!"

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Ikantski posted:

Why would you want to import people with anti-canadian values? Non-canadian I could understand but anti-canadians? No thanks buddy

Mixing anti-Canadians and Canadians is like mixing antimatter with real matter. That's not a risk we can take.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

quote:

Among Federal Court Justice Robin Camp's remarks during a 2014 sexual assault trial, according to a notice of allegations posted on the Canadian Judicial Council website:

"Why couldn't you just keep your knees together? Why didn't you just sink your bottom down into the basin so he couldn't penetrate you?"

Young women, the judge said, "want to have sex, particularly if they're drunk," according to the notice.

He also said that "some sex and pain sometimes go together" and "that's not necessarily a bad thing."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ther/?tid=sm_fb

Yeah jeez women, why didn't you just not get raped? It's so easy!

e: also

quote:

Throughout that trial, Camp repeatedly asked the complainant why she hadn't fought harder to prevent the attack. He asked her why she "couldn't just keep [her] knees together and several times referred to her as "the accused."

[...]

After hearing evidence at the 2014 trial, Camp acquitted Alexander Wagar, but the Alberta Court of Appeal overturned the ruling and ordered a new trial. By that time, Camp had been elevated to the Federal Court.

In ordering a new trial, the Court of Appeal wrote that the judge's comments raised doubts about his understanding of sexual assault laws.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/justice-robin-camp-judicial-inquiry-calgary-federal-court-sex-assault-1.3751648

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Even yesterday during his disciplinary hearing Camp kept calling her "the accused" while insisting he's learned his lesson and he's sorry

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

If I had to say something good about the Liberals it would be that I expect them to be less likely to appoint someone like that to the bench.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
Are all you retards supporting Kellie "barbaric practices" leitch for real?

What the gently caress is a Canadian value? The Conservative party of Canada just got on the gay marriage train like 4 months ago or something.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
family compacts, corrupt trans-canada railway construction and unemployed martimers, i think.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Special carve-outs for Québec,

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

An uncomfortable mixture of smugness and envy toward Americans.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Math You posted:

What the gently caress is a Canadian value?

Just watch the beer commercials during a hockey game to learn. Duh.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Passive aggressive complaining and grumbling about everything

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

I'm wondering how exactly you would test for anti-canadian values?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Booourns posted:

By measuring pupilary response to a set of morality questions.

While skating down the Rideau canal, you see a lumberjack on his back, unable to right himself. You don't apologize for not helping him. Why?

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Booourns posted:

Heart rate, blood pressure, pupil dilation, brainwave activity, skin conductivity etc during the mandatory interrogation.

Followup interrogation after a few days of sleep deprivation and exposure.

There's a whole battery of tests we can run really.

edit: too slow! Glad to see great True Canadian minds think alike though.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Canadian values are real estate, finance and natural resources.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

By measuring pupilary response to a set of morality questions.

While skating down the Rideau canal, you see a lumberjack on his back, unable to right himself. You don't apologize for not helping him. Why?

Excuse me, we have decades of back catalogs of Coach's Corner and NFB shorts to work with.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Booourns posted:

You place in front of them four plates. One of them has a heaping mound of poutine. One has a large pile of back bacon. One is just covered in maple syrup. The fourth is their favourite food from their home country. Which plate they choose determines whether we allow them entry into the country.

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Because he was wearing a Leafs jersey.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

vyelkin posted:

You place in front of them four plates. One of them has a heaping mound of poutine. One has a large pile of back bacon. One is just covered in maple syrup. The fourth is their favourite food from their home country. Which plate they choose determines whether we allow them entry into the country.

What if I want poutine on the fourth plate?

That's right, vive le Quebec libre motherbitches!

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Helsing posted:

I think the more substantive -- and uncomfortable -- question here isn't about screening immigrants but rather about what kind of tools the government should provide minority communities for them to defend their distinctive identities and existence. For instance, Ontario used to make provisions for certain kinds of family law to be overseen by religious tribunals, the idea being an Orthodox Jewish couple could voluntarily submit themselves to the judgement of a Rabbi, or a Christian couple could use a minister (if someone with more knowledge of the precise details of this arrangement can describe it better, please do so). I think the entire system existed during the 1990s without much comment but it was shut down after people tried to extend it to Muslim communities.

It gets interesting when you have First Nations communities pointing out that they are a) not Canadian and b) have a right to govern themselves by their own traditions. Getting these groups signing on to "Canadian Values(tm)" should be interesting.

A cynical observer such as myself would note that the coastal traditional economies seemed to be based largely on murder, pillage, rape, slavery, and salmon. The colonial forces were less reliant on fish and arguably more focused on taking other people's stuff.

Helsing posted:

The TPP is dead. Long live the TPP.

The TPP will never be truly dead until we have a Margaret Atwood - style die off among the 1%.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Booourns posted:

Spritz them with some essential pine tree oils extracted from a christmas tree and see if they recoil in horror and/or burst into flame.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Sit them down in a locked room and make them watch the full run of their choice of Corner Gas, Flashpoint, or Little Mosque on the Prairie, and then if they still want to come to Canada let them.

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

We've got the American Jesus
Overwhelming millions every day

JawKnee posted:

which values would these be?

Red Sox fans

Aagar
Mar 30, 2006

E/N Gestapo
I am talking to a mod right now about getting you probated/banned/gassed

Booourns posted:

Give them an artisanal Canadian IPA and a Coors Light. If they pick the IPA, they're in. Coors Light, they're out. If they can't tell the difference, they're executed.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Arabian Jesus posted:

Red Sox fans

trap spung, baseball fan I'm reporting you right now

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Aagar posted:

Give them an artisanal Canadian IPA and a Coors Light. If they pick the IPA, they're in. Coors Light, they're out. If they can't tell the difference, they're executed.

If they refuse to drink either form of grainy piss, they're in with a complimentary bottle of Canadian Club and some Canada Dry to mix it with.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

vyelkin posted:

Sit them down in a locked room and make them watch the full run of their choice of Corner Gas, Flashpoint, or Little Mosque on the Prairie, and then if they still want to come to Canada let them.

gently caress just reading this makes me want to renounce

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Sep 9, 2022