Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

Yeah it starts well but the jet ski part is real bad and the late game encounters are a huge slog. I played on tourist to get it overwith

The jet ski is the worst. The unexplained explosive barrels make me think that playtesters just drove away from the boring shooting sections, and instead of making the shooting fun, some designer put the barrels there to force you to play what they'd designed. That said, the first game is pretty fun at points. It's still a decent action game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I never played Uncharted until recently and 1 was really really bad and only worth it to get acquainted with the characters. 2 was great, 3 was good and 4 was great.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Aggro posted:

Hmm. I picked up the Uncharted Collection for $15. I've never played any of Uncharted games, but I did just finish The Last of Us (which was awesome). Am I going to hate the first game?

UC1 is the only one that basically requires a bit of foreknowledge: Be aggressive, fire at enemies to get them to stop shooting at you, always be moving, use melee.

UC2 and later are rebalanced so that you don't have to use this strategy to make the game fun, but it's still fairly effective anyway. The original is a complete slog if you don't play it the "right" way, but pretty fun if you do.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I never played Uncharted until recently and 1 was really really bad and only worth it to get acquainted with the characters. 2 was great, 3 was good and 4 was great.

its good actually

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Dewgy posted:

UC1 is the only one that basically requires a bit of foreknowledge: Be aggressive, fire at enemies to get them to stop shooting at you, always be moving, use melee.

UC2 and later are rebalanced so that you don't have to use this strategy to make the game fun, but it's still fairly effective anyway. The original is a complete slog if you don't play it the "right" way, but pretty fun if you do.

Totally agree with this. UC2 and 3 are far more forgiving. UC1 is unfortunately designed to punish you for aimed sitting from cover. This runs completely counter to the Gears of War mentality. Very little max ammo, highly accurate return fire, very high health.

Their gameplay concept is firmly rooted in equal parts shooting and melee, often in the same enemy. You're meant to soften the enemy with ridiculously generous auto aim hip fire and punch them out. And cover is meant more for getting closer to the enemy than shooting from.

The low max ammo also nudges you into dropping the idea of a favorite weapon you carry through the game and instead using and losing constantly.

Note that the ending sequence removes most of these options and it's quite a challenge spike as a result. But it's a hell of a lot of fun to channel an 80s adventure hero who shoots a guy four times while running at him and then hits him in the face. Just remember the game hates it when you shoot from cover. Try to avoid doing that except against shotguns, who are death to run and gun.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Is Uncharted Vita better or worse than 1 though, because it's the only one I've playd

Several Goblins
Jul 30, 2006

"What the hell do they mean? Beefcake?"

voltcatfish posted:

Is Uncharted Vita better or worse than 1 though, because it's the only one I've playd

Personally, I'd say better. Uncharted 1 definitely felt dated to me and had some janky parts. I liked Golden Abyss as much as I liked 2 or 3. Not sure what the general consensus is though.

Edit: Dated as in I just played it for the first time a month ago.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Golden Abyss had the "hold your camera against the surface of the sun" puzzle and collectibles in cutscenes, though.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

SelenicMartian posted:

collectibles in cutscenes

what?

mrEkli
Feb 9, 2004
I was there.

SelenicMartian posted:

Golden Abyss had the "hold your camera against the surface of the sun" puzzle and collectibles in cutscenes, though.

Touching collectibles in cutscenes was neat. The sun thing was dumb but we had that photo of that goon's carpet.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

UC1 is 9 years old now and its formula has been heavily refined since then. its dated.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Good games don't age

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

thats why you're an idiot if you buy games instead of playing nethack

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

There were collectable shinys during cutscenes and you had to touch the screen when you saw them to get them.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

In Training posted:

Good games don't age

Twisted Metal 2 says otherwise.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Some good games age well and still play great, some become unplayable and then most still play great if you meet them half way and are able to overlook some annoyances

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

rabidsquid posted:

UC1 is 9 years old now and its formula has been heavily refined since then. its dated.

People complained plenty when it was new.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

people complain frequently about actual everything

snack soul
Jul 6, 2005

In Training posted:

Good games don't age

all video games are terrible

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Play video games before their expiration date.

snack soul
Jul 6, 2005

Ape Agitator posted:

Totally agree with this. UC2 and 3 are far more forgiving. UC1 is unfortunately designed to punish you for aimed sitting from cover. This runs completely counter to the Gears of War mentality. Very little max ammo, highly accurate return fire, very high health.

Their gameplay concept is firmly rooted in equal parts shooting and melee, often in the same enemy. You're meant to soften the enemy with ridiculously generous auto aim hip fire and punch them out. And cover is meant more for getting closer to the enemy than shooting from.

This comes up in pretty much every Uncharted discussion, and I assumed it's why I hated the original game so much. But playing through UC1 again in the ND collection with more emphasis on melee combat still sucked poo poo, since Drake seems super brittle for a game where you keep soaking up bullets during combat animations. I'm probably just bad at games but playing UC1 at all feels like punishment

pretty much everything from the zombie introduction through the end credits is just inexcusably bad game design

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

justbread posted:

This comes up in pretty much every Uncharted discussion, and I assumed it's why I hated the original game so much. But playing through UC1 again in the ND collection with more emphasis on melee combat still sucked poo poo, since Drake seems super brittle for a game where you keep soaking up bullets during combat animations. I'm probably just bad at games but playing UC1 at all feels like punishment

pretty much everything from the zombie introduction through the end credits is just inexcusably bad game design

I felt like the zombie part was one of the easier sections, since it was just run, shoot, and don't look back. the final boat was a bitch, for sure, though

snack soul
Jul 6, 2005

yeah I didn't mean to imply that the zombies were the difficult/frustrating part -- just really, really dumb

then they decided to one up themselves with the blue monkey men in UC2 which were both frustrating and really, really dumb

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

mrEkli posted:

The sun thing was dumb but we had that photo of that goon's carpet.

What is this photo you're referencing?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

LawfulWaffle posted:

What is this photo you're referencing?

I've long since lost it but some goon once got frustrated trying to do Uncharted: Golden Abyss' light-based puzzles and just pointed it at their carpet and the game recognized it, so they took a photo of said carpet and for whatever reason that photo would work for the terrible puzzles too so for like the first year or so of Vita's life when games had that light gimmick (i.e. Assassin's Creed) people would be like "oh go get the photo".

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Was it this one?

It's in my picture folder as "vita bright rug.jpg" so I assume it is, but I somehow remember it looking different.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Yeah I think that's the one. Memories~

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
That's a great rug.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Was it this one?

It's in my picture folder as "vita bright rug.jpg" so I assume it is, but I somehow remember it looking different.

Somehow this looks like exactly the sort of carpet to fool a light sensor.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
That would be the rug.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

mycot posted:

Somehow this looks like exactly the sort of carpet to fool a light sensor.

i... wha....

:shepicide:

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Jet skiing in UC1 was AWESOME and I'm sad they never added it again.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Was that the one where you had to park the jet ski to use the grenade launcher because that was bad

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Aggro posted:

Hmm. I picked up the Uncharted Collection for $15. I've never played any of Uncharted games, but I did just finish The Last of Us (which was awesome). Am I going to hate the first game?

Play all the Uncharted games in order.

Having fairly recently replayed UC1 (twice) and 2 and 3 to finish off the platinums, I think UC1 has aged very well. I also got through the second jetski section (the rapids) first go on Crushing by holding down the throttle and just going for it.

I adore the Uncharted franchise, but all the games are awful on Crushing difficulty which requires you to play a very slow peekaboo style instead of fun and gun funtime melee stuff. The only thing putting me off the PS4 remasters is they added a difficulty level beyond Crushing which is the very opposite of a good idea.

Golden Abyss is comparable to UC1, and worth seeking out (that rug brings back some memories alright). Uncharted 4 is the worst of all the games. Yes, it's not as good as either Uncharted 1 or the Vita game. I will not be swayed on this.

These are my opinions after 11 total playthroughs of these games.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Was that the one where you had to park the jet ski to use the grenade launcher because that was bad

if I recall, that section is pretty easily beatable by having Elena blind fire the grenade launcher, which is why so many people who played it by stopping every time found it so frustrating, but I could be misremembering

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

the jetski sections are ez

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
I feel like the jetski was an out of control reactionary level redesign.

"We've got a fairly nice water tech we can show off. Maybe they go upriver in a raft and deliver some story and shoot a couple of soldiers.
Too slow, give then a jetski
They just fly though it now, add Donkey Kong explosive barrels
They keep running out of ammo, make it unlimited
It's too easy, add a hell of a lot more guys
It's too hard to hit, make it a grenade launcher
Times up, ship it"

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

morallyobjected posted:

if I recall, that section is pretty easily beatable by having Elena blind fire the grenade launcher, which is why so many people who played it by stopping every time found it so frustrating, but I could be misremembering

You can't blindfire the grenade launcher, that one you have to stop to shoot. But the second jetski section, Elena has a pistol, and on that one you can totally just gun it straight past all the bad guys while spamming the blindfire button and make it through no problem. But most people don't realize it, because the first jetski section trains you that blindfire isn't an option.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

I want to ride a jetski upstream IRL. Maybe that's why I didn't mind those parts, they fulfill some vicarious experience.

I do kind of agree about UC4 being weak. I'm not sure I'd put it under UC1, but I'd say their respective weaknesses give them a tie. Then 3, then 2 at the top. Though I think a lot of the appreciation of UC2 comes from shattering the expectations people had coming out if UC1. If you skip UC1 you probably won't have as much of an understanding of why UC2 works so well, it just becomes another chapter in a story that's already been told.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
^ I still say 2 is cleanly best with having skipped 1, and only playing 3 and 4. I still feel like 3 was weaker then even 4, because the story was so much worse.

My personal opinion is the highest difficulty is usually for spergy gamers and or achievement freaks.

Not many games are tuned to be fun on higher difficulties, just ball busting and bragging rights. Judging a game at those difficulties is usually a bad idea and why they tend to be unlockable.

Most games out side of ninja gaiden and dmc3 are just bullet sponges that deal higher damage, or limited ammo, shifting around important resources,etc. Just limiting options and telling you "hey play this one way"

Like at least gaiden and dmc changed up enemy layouts and behaviors a bit more.

SectumSempra fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Sep 11, 2016

• Locked thread