Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Johnny Joestar posted:

i'll admit that i personally don't care much for pucci, but at the very least valentine comes off like a much better written version of him in terms of 'guy who thinks he's doing the right thing' to the point where someone actually could argue that what he's doing is at least mildly admirable if not actually 'good'

You would think that, wouldn't you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Johnny Joestar posted:

i'll admit that i personally don't care much for pucci, but at the very least valentine comes off like a much better written version of him in terms of 'guy who thinks he's doing the right thing' to the point where someone actually could argue that what he's doing is at least mildly admirable if not actually 'good'

Valentine's at least legit messed up, because of a weird handkerchief speech a soldier gave him("your dad was holding onto this handkerchief, therefore he gave you and this country equal importance") he kind of got his "narcissism" and "patriotism" wires crossed and constantly mixes both. I'm not sure if he's actually aware of his own shortcomings: in his famous napkin speech he states that not just anyone can take the napkin, they must be basically beyond reproach. But he consistently shows throughout the story that he is not that person(and the final gun showdown with Johnny proves it outright)

Pucci, meanwhile, is fully aware of his own failings but cannot accept them and is actively running away from them so hard he fucks up the entire planet, good job idiot.

(I think both are good characters for the record, but Valentine's the clear winner)

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea I agree that Valentine and Pucci work very well as two sides of the same coin and all. Still I think in the end I like Pucci better (though to be clear Valentine is very good, spoiler: all Jojo villains are in fact very good).

I may be biased just because his series is my favorite Jojo, but I just felt his story as a whole was just more...interesting I guess? Like the combination of backstory, master plan, and generally what we see of him in the story all come together in a better way than Valentine's does. I think Valentine is a very fun character, but he doesn't get as strong a 'complete picture'.

I think that viewing him and Valentine as kinda one huge thing with two different views is the best way to look at both of them, though.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I fully believe that President Valentine would've let Johnny live and give him a new Gyro if Johnny didn't call bluff.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I have to wonder how much of Diavolo's backstory not making sense is intentional, and how much is because our only translation of it was inherently bad. I like the idea of a guy wanting complete control over his life, to the point that he'll erase his past entirely though. Also, he has some rad tats.

Forktoss posted:

Pucci is a gay black Catholic priest who convinced the Ku Klux Klan to go after his white brother for kissing a girl instead of him, a gay black Catholic priest. He's pretty great actually

He did that cause they were brother and sister not cause he wanted to kiss her

edit: Valentine was hiding a gun, he was never going to actually go along with Johnny. That and him not actually caring about his father's story are part of why I don't really see Valentine as more than a slimy man in it for himself.

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Damn it, why it does need to remain only four bullets!?
It's been a while since I posted a Vento Aureo update, I think. To be honest, I haven't really been keeping track myself, but Talking Head and Clash has been finished, along with the first 4 chapters of Notorious B.I.G/Spice Girl. If you've been keeping up with the releases more closely than I have, then skip to chapter 534-6, which was just uploaded today.

This week in Jojo, Squalo has a really good idea

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

I love the pink cheetah hair man and I wish him all the luck in the world when it comes to defeating the spawn of a notorious enemy of the Joestars.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Momomo posted:

edit: Valentine was hiding a gun, he was never going to actually go along with Johnny. That and him not actually caring about his father's story are part of why I don't really see Valentine as more than a slimy man in it for himself.

He totally cared about his Father's story, it's what set him on this road to start with, along with getting the Heart.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Momomo posted:

I'd really like to know where it shows that Valentine didn't care about his father's story, or was just like super egotistical for the sake of it. Cause like, he became a solider, him just saying "gently caress my dad and gently caress america" doesn't really make sense from what I remember and makes him Kars like villain of "oh okay dude". Him not trusting Johnny is more "I'm the President of the United States,I'm not taking a single chance on this." It's just he didn't expect the alternate gun trick.

e: Valentine's patriotism, knowledge of the power of the Corpse, and just seeing the raw innovations of the time like trains and telephones hugely shaping the fabric of America, it all makes sense why he would want to "take the napkin" and lead America even further along the path that he honestly believes is correct.

These are all acts of justice

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Sep 10, 2016

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

he was definitely 100% serious about his dad's story and the patriotism and poo poo

he was also probably always planning to take out johnny, though

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I think there's a genuine argument that he had it as insurance and just decided that Johnny would never believe that.

I personally think he was going to shoot him though.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Part 7 anime is gonna have a real Who Shot First dilemma huh

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Moltrey posted:

Part 7 anime is gonna have a real Who Shot First dilemma huh

somehow i thought you were talking about the time Johnny got shot in the face three times in a row and was slightly inconvenienced by it

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Who Shot Johnny Joestar

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Moltrey posted:

Who Shot Johnny Joestar

Everybody shot Johnny Joestar.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Xsy3qhTO04&t=49s

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
the tyler the creator interview but johnny

"You believe in Jesus?"

".....I dunno...."

"Focus. Your dad's here"

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE
Valentine would have been the indisputable king of JoJo villains if he had set things up so that Johnny got shot by... himself.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

i like the implication in sbr that stands are actually holy power

i guess we're thoroughly done with that idea in jjl though

e: also: is tusk supposed to look like a mouse because i only just caught that this readthrough

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Petition to give Tusk a Keyblade.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Llab posted:

Valentine would have been the indisputable king of JoJo villains if he had set things up so that Johnny got shot by... himself.

I'm not sure if this is the joke but his dying conversation with AU DIO is to ensure this exact thing happens

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

setafd posted:

e: also: is tusk supposed to look like a mouse because i only just caught that this readthrough

In jjl they're holey power

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Moltrey posted:

Who Shot Johnny Joestar

Yes

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE

multijoe posted:

I'm not sure if this is the joke but his dying conversation with AU DIO is to ensure this exact thing happens

Oh no, I wasn't thinking about that moment, but I think it would be great if an AU Johnny was one of millions of people shooting Johnny at once.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

setafd posted:

The corpse of Christ was in a Morioh cave for a bit, so...

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I want endless 8 but with johnny joestart getting shot

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Johnny shot Johnny. Never trust anyone, not even yourself

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

FirstAidKite posted:

Johnny Joestart is a pretty good band name

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

FirstAidKite posted:

Joestart 5th Grade: JoJo, Equid Effective

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

vento aureo is great. i love this new translation

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

FirstAidKite posted:

Joestart 5th Grade: JoJo, Equid Effective

I want you to know how much I appreciate this.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Rodyle posted:

He totally cared about his Father's story, it's what set him on this road to start with, along with getting the Heart.

Yeah, I never got the feeling that he never genuinely cared about what his father said.

There's enough of a villain set up for him, in my opinion, where he thinks it's a genuinely good idea that he should become the supreme dictator of These United States of Valentine.

Momomo posted:

I have to wonder how much of Diavolo's backstory not making sense is intentional, and how much is because our only translation of it was inherently bad. I like the idea of a guy wanting complete control over his life, to the point that he'll erase his past entirely though. Also, he has some rad tats.

From what I've seen, it probably is on purpose but like...in a horror movie way? A really unusual pregnancy with an unknown father, Diavolo being the quiet one that no one would suspect of anything, what happened to his mom, it feels like a ghost story that would feel right at home in a Thus Spoke Rohan Kishibe story, but I don't doubt that he made at least some of it up and, honestly, it sounds like like an edgelord Deviantart OC backstory. I want to believe so badly that Diavolo's genuinely into that kind of thing. Like how no one's really sure if Mikitaka's an alien or just thinks he is.

Johnny Joestar posted:

Let Giorno have his pizza, goddammit. :italy:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

BaDandy posted:

There's enough of a villain set up for him, in my opinion, where he thinks it's a genuinely good idea that he should become the supreme dictator of These United States of Valentine.

I mean, it's not really a bad idea.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

BaDandy posted:

Let Giorno have his pizza, goddammit. :italy:

i kind of forgot about that whole little 'writing' thing and it confused the hell out of me at first

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1nCBtl_OJA

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
i like this one a lot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKMDey4GATQ

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

I want you to know how much I appreciate this.

It was a happy little accident but I'm glad for it

Neato
Mar 2, 2016

Johnny Joestar posted:

Which translation should I be reading.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Neato posted:

Which translation should I be reading.

The one that's not typeset with Comic Sans