Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I don't suppose any of Marvel's 70s magazines are on there? They basically created them solely to bypass the comics code and a fair share of them were horror-themed.

If not, check out Steve Gerber's Man-Thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Lurdiak posted:

I don't suppose any of Marvel's 70s magazines are on there? They basically created them solely to bypass the comics code and a fair share of them were horror-themed.
I found like 1 issue. (just looked it up: Tower of Shadows #1. Very solid representation of that sort of comic)

quote:

If not, check out Steve Gerber's Man-Thing.

<insert obvious Man Thing joke we've heard a thousand times before>
But yes, I know they just added Giant Size #1 recently so I shall do that.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

joehonkie posted:

Any good recommendations for Halloween reading on Marvel Unlimited?

Off the top of my head there's Tomb of Dracula, pretty much anything Howling Commandos or Legion of Monsters, and Hawkeye vs. Deadpool vs. Crime. Did I miss any good monsters titles? Was the X-men vs. Dracula series bearable? Didn't they have an alternate universe where the Avengers were all monsters right before Secret Wars?

So yeah, any recommendations of either traditional horror comics or stuff that's just Halloween-centric on Marvel Unlimited would be appreciated. Sadly, their old horror comics have mostly been left off so far.

Marvel Zombies

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Mr Hootington posted:

Marvel Zombies

Oh good point! I've read most of those, but I can read them again.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

The Apocalypse vs. Dracula mini wasn't great BUT it was way better than it had any right to be, imo.

e: In Secret Wars, you had Shiklah and the Howling Commandos for a classic monster team, and the Spider-Island series had everyone turning into various monstrous versions of themselves, including CapWolf and Living Vampire Captain Marvel.

Recent Moon Knight had a whole lot of ghost punching.

ooooh the Frankencastle run on Punisher is a ton of fun as well.

Mover fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Sep 7, 2016

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
That one howard the duck with the vampire cow

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

joehonkie posted:

Oh good point! I've read most of those, but I can read them again.

Marvel Universe Vs The Punisher
Marvel Universe Vs Wolverine
Marvel Universe Vs The Avengers
Ghost Rider series
Carnage minis and series
Man-Thing from the 70s
Blade
Doctor Strange (is a bit cosmic horror)
Dead of Night minis
Morbius

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Cryptocracy has me wanting more comics based around major conspiracy theories like xfiles and deus ex, anybody have any suggestions?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

site posted:

Cryptocracy has me wanting more comics based around major conspiracy theories like xfiles and deus ex, anybody have any suggestions?

From Hell.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Lurdiak posted:

From Hell.

I managed to snag that trade of this with all of Moore's annotations and stuff when i worked for a used bookstore a few years back. So loving good.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

joehonkie posted:

Any good recommendations for Halloween reading on Marvel Unlimited?

Off the top of my head there's Tomb of Dracula, pretty much anything Howling Commandos or Legion of Monsters, and Hawkeye vs. Deadpool vs. Crime. Did I miss any good monsters titles? Was the X-men vs. Dracula series bearable? Didn't they have an alternate universe where the Avengers were all monsters right before Secret Wars?

So yeah, any recommendations of either traditional horror comics or stuff that's just Halloween-centric on Marvel Unlimited would be appreciated. Sadly, their old horror comics have mostly been left off so far.

The 1968 and 1974 Dr.Strange series are pretty occultish, and specifically Dr.Strange vs Dracula starts with issue 58 of the 1974 series.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Gaz-L posted:

BOOM: Mighty Morphin Power Rangers

Thank you for this, it's more awesome than I would have ever thought a Power Rangers comic could be.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Roth posted:

Thank you for this, it's more awesome than I would have ever thought a Power Rangers comic could be.

The Pink Ranger mini is pretty great also. It's set after Kim left the team, and so far has her, Zack and Trini teaming up to fight Goldar and a monster that turns people into zombie fishmen.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Following the recommendation to read Hickman's Avengers, and I'm wondering if anyone can explain Spiderman's character in this run to me? I'm up to issue 13, and so far he seems like a giant jerk. It's not at all like what I've seen of him in other books. Admittedly, I haven't read much Spiderman, because the sheer volume is intimidating. Like, in the movies, the old school cartoon, early comic appearances, and even in Hickman's Fantastic Four run, he's always come across as a genuinely nice guy. Here we have him stealing other people's food from the refrigerator, bitching about kids, lipping off other super heroes, etc. Is this not Peter Parker? Did something happen to change him for the worse? This characterization is really jarring. It's not sitting right.

Or, is it maybe some foreshadowing, where he turns out to be a skrull, or somesuch?

VV Thanks folks, that clarifies things. And so lightning quick too!

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Sep 9, 2016

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

He's Doc Ock trapped in Peter's body.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I believe for part of that, it's actually Doc Ock riding around in Peter's brain. You should be able to tell when it changes back, because Hickman writes a really good Spidey.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

B33rChiller posted:

Following the recommendation to read Hickman's Avengers, and I'm wondering if anyone can explain Spiderman's character in this run to me? I'm up to issue 13, and so far he seems like a giant jerk. It's not at all like what I've seen of him in other books. Admittedly, I haven't read much Spiderman, because the sheer volume is intimidating. Like, in the movies, the old school cartoon, early comic appearances, and even in Hickman's Fantastic Four run, he's always come across as a genuinely nice guy. Here we have him stealing other people's food from the refrigerator, bitching about kids, lipping off other super heroes, etc. Is this not Peter Parker? Did something happen to change him for the worse? This characterization is really jarring. It's not sitting right.

Or, is it maybe some foreshadowing, where he turns out to be a skrull, or somesuch?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Superior_Spider-Man

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

B33rChiller posted:

you should read superior spider-man or what I call "the best spider-man not in newspapers or married"

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

The fact that Hickman couldn't make Superior Spider-Man appealing to read (since he's probably, pound for pound, my favorite comics writer ever) is part of the reason I've never read SS-M. Spider-Man as a gigantic self-interested prick is really intolerable (and was done better with Scarlet Spider anyways). If Hickman can't do a good job with it, how could Slott possibly.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Try it. It was fun.

Also, Slott's Silver Surfer is one of the best comics they put out, but that opinion is rarely expressed here out of fear.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Sep 9, 2016

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Teenage Fansub posted:

Try it. It was fun.

Also, Slott's Silver Surfer is one of the best comics they put out, but that opinion is rarely expressed here out of fear.

Silver Surfer is a pretty good comic that happens to have some of the most gorgeous art in the medium. I would watch the Allreds draw cosmic stuff all day long.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Toxxupation posted:

The fact that Hickman couldn't make Superior Spider-Man appealing to read (since he's probably, pound for pound, my favorite comics writer ever) is part of the reason I've never read SS-M. Spider-Man as a gigantic self-interested prick is really intolerable (and was done better with Scarlet Spider anyways). If Hickman can't do a good job with it, how could Slott possibly.

The first confrontation between Green Goblin and Spidey once he gets back to normal is still one of my favorite pages of the last billion years.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I want to read Batman: Endgame. I haven't read anything up to that part (as I haven't read any Batman in a long time), what's the reading order that I need to read to get caught up? Or does this do the job? What is this Court of Owls / Death of the Family gig?

Edit: Does this cover it all?

obi_ant fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Sep 10, 2016

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

obi_ant posted:

I want to read Batman: Endgame. I haven't read anything up to that part (as I haven't read any Batman in a long time), what's the reading order that I need to read to get caught up? Or does this do the job? What is this Court of Owls / Death of the Family gig?

Edit: Does this cover it all?

Have you read Morrison's Batman run?

If you have:

Zero Year
Court of the Owls
Night of the Owls
Death of the Family
Batman, Incorporated volume 2
The Batman-specific issues of Requiem
Batman Eternal*
Endgame

*Note: Batman Eternal is very very bad and should be skipped, but technically speaking it has major plot developments that affect Snyder's Batman run moving forward. But if you're really devout on reading everything, technically speaking you should read it. But I'd strongly suggest just reading a plot synopsis, it's 52 issues long with very little payoff and Arkham Manor/Spoiler/Bluebird being good doesn't exactly make up for it.

As another added note, you should also read Tomasi's Batman and Robin run, but technically speaking that has little to nothing to do with Endgame, it just ties in fairly significantly with both Batman, Inc volume 2 and Requiem and should be read concurrently. It's also, overall, probably the best single run in the Bat-Books.

If you haven't read Morrison's Batman run you...well, you kinda need to read Morrison's Batman run before reading Batman, Incorporated volume 2. Since it's the final arc of it.

To answer your other question, Court and Night of the Owls are the first two arcs of Snyder's Batman run, and ends up blueprinting the main ideas and themes he deliberates on moving forward. Death of the Family is Snyder's first Joker appearance in the N52 and is his version of Death in the Family sorta. Not really, it's...weird.

I'm one of the people who thinks that you should read Zero Year first (which is the N52 version of Year One and is, in my opinion, superior to it) because it spaces out the Joker appearances so he appears early on, there's two arcs that have no Joker, he comes back for Death of the Family, Requiem happens, then you're reading Endgame and Joker's final N52 appearance as opposed to a whole bunch of issues with no Joker and then three arcs basically back-to-back-to-back of Joker stuff.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Sep 10, 2016

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The first one you linked is for the unnecessary tie-ins from the storyline. This is the Endgame trade https://www.amazon.com/Batman-Vol-E...Batman+endgame.
To get there, just read Scott Snyder's Batman trades in order, so that second link. There is a volume 6 that isn't on that list, but it collects one-shot issues from the series that aren't connected to the long storylines, so it isn't necessary.
There are trades for comics tying in to Death of the Family, Zero Year and that Endgame one you found. You don't need them.

E: Mine's the simplified version :D I think all you need is Snyder's series to start with, Unless you want to follow the relationship with Robin, which Snyder avoids. A character introduced in Batman Eternal pops in in Endgame, but it's nothing worth reading another 50 issues for.
I'd prefer reading Zero Year in it's place in the trade order rather than up front. It is the origin, but it's good to break up the story.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Sep 10, 2016

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Oh and I guess it should be noted because as far as I'm aware there's literally nothing in Batman that tells you this, but in the first issue of N52 Detective Comics the Joker contracts the Dollmaker to cut his face off and nail it to a wall in Arkham Asylum before running away from Gotham. I have now saved you from having to read one of the worst single issue of comics in the N52.

Teenage Fansub posted:

E: Mine's the simplified version :D I think all you need is Snyder's series to start with, Unless you want to follow the relationship with Robin, which Snyder avoids. A character introduced in Batman Eternal pops in in Endgame, but it's nothing worth reading another 50 issues for.

Yeah Eternal's skippable but definitely technically "canon", and if you're reading the N52 you should be aware of the people it introduces (especially considering it's the official debut of an original Bat-Family hero) and should read up on a synopsis of it between finishing Requiem or Zero Year (however you read the trades) and Endgame.

I dunno about skipping Batman, Inc volume 2. I mean, yeah, Snyder avoids Robin, but there is a whole five-issue stretch of post-Requiem Batman that will make absolutely zero sense to you if you haven't read it, and if you're unaware of who Damian Wayne even is you might even be stopped up on stuff like Death of the Family. I would say it's fairly crucial for understanding.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Sep 10, 2016

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I'm looking to read some essential Thanos/Infinity Gauntlet/Gems and wiki is telling me that i want to look at

Silver Surfer vol3 #34
Thanos Quest 1-2
The Infinity Gauntlet 1-6
The Infinity War 1-6
The Infinity Crusade 1-6

are any of those skippable, are there any tie ins I should read, any other books i should add to my list?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

site posted:

I'm looking to read some essential Thanos/Infinity Gauntlet/Gems and wiki is telling me that i want to look at

Silver Surfer vol3 #34
Thanos Quest 1-2
The Infinity War 1-6
The Infinity Crusade 1-6

are any of those skippable, are there any tie ins I should read, any other books i should add to my list?

I think everything after Infinity Gauntlet is skippable.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

site posted:

Silver Surfer vol3 #34
Thanos Quest 1-2
The Infinity War 1-6
The Infinity Crusade 1-6

I'd say that the Surfer Tie-ins to Infinity Gauntlet are needed as they flesh out the story and unlike the other tie-ins they tie-in directly at times to things going on in the event. Here's a quick read order for just Infinity Gauntlet

Silver Surfer 34-38,40
Thanos Quest 1-2
Silver Surfer 44-50
Infinity Gauntlet 1-3
Silver Surfer 52-54
Infinity Gauntlet 4
Silver Surfer 55-58
Infinity Gauntlet 5
Silver Surfer 59
Infinity Gauntlet 6
Silver Surfer 60
Warlock and The Infinity Watch 1-2

I'd say everything from 34-40 is kind of important and 44-50 is very important. As for the others, there's one Surfer issue in there that doesn't tie in really well, it's mostly about him recuperating and then a confrontation with Rhino but it's a fun short read anyway. That last Surfer issue is also optional as it just kind of ties up a little bit of the end before moving on to a stand alone story. Warlock and the Infinity Watch is the book that kind of keeps the story going between the events but I think the first 2 issues are pretty much as important as Thanos Quest because it's really the wrapping up of the whole thing.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Thanks for the replies guys. I realized I don't remember much from the Morrison run as I was reading them when they were released in HC. I read Batman & Robin volume 1, 2 and 3 (Morrison).

I'm going to pick up the following...

Court of Owls (1)
Night of the Owls***
City of Owls (2)
Death of the Family (3)
Zero Year - Secret City (4)
Zero Year - Dark City (5)
Graveyard Shift (6)
Endgame (7)

Uh, is Batman Incorporated different than Batman Incorporated volume 1?

Batman Incorporated volume 1
Batman Incorporated volume 2

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

There were two Batman Inc series pre and during the New52, both by Morrison. The first series has one volume, the second has three.
The N52 series is the conclusion of his Batman saga.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

site posted:

Silver Surfer vol3 #34
Thanos Quest 1-2
The Infinity War 1-6
The Infinity Crusade 1-6

Silver Surfer #34-38 you mean.

Especially #36.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Teenage Fansub posted:

There were two Batman Inc series pre and during the New52, both by Morrison. The first series has one volume, the second has three.
The N52 series is the conclusion of his Batman saga.

Sorry... what? So I'm missing one volume? Volume 3?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

obi_ant posted:

Sorry... what?

I misspoke about the second series. It has two volumes.

This
https://www.amazon.com/Batman-Incorporated-Vol-Grant-Morrison/dp/1401232124/ref=cm_lmf_img_13

Then these
https://www.amazon.com/Batman-Incorporated-Vol-Demon-Star/dp/1401238882/ref=cm_lmf_img_14
https://www.amazon.com/Batman-Incorporated-Vol-Gothams-Wanted/dp/1401244009/ref=cm_lmf_img_15

The villains carry over from the first to second series, so it's worth reading both.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Sep 11, 2016

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Thanks! I'm really excited to jump back into some Batman.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

If you read Batman and Robin by Morrison you're more or less good to go to read his Batman, Inc. stuff (and it's fairly plot-crucial to Snyder's run, so I'd suggest reading it). Just pick up (checking the trades since I read them issue by issue):

Batman Incorporated
Batman Incorporated Vol. 1: Demon Star (The New 52)
Batman Incorporated Vol. 2: Gotham's Most Wanted (The New 52)

You should read "Batman Incorporated" before you read any of the Snyder stuff, because it's not canon to N52. But it is canon to the second series of Batman Incorporated, which is canon to N52 Batman...it's a whole loving mess.

Batman Incorporated Vol. 1 can be read any time before Graveyard Shift. Batman Incorporated Vol. 2 should be read immediately before Graveyard Shift.

And to answer the question you didn't ask, the Night of the Owls trade is essentially the Night of the Owls event, with a large majority of its tie-ins, and eliminates issue 12 (which is essentially a stand-alone introducing an original Bat-Family character who, although awesome, basically nobody ever uses during the N52). The City of Owls trade is the Night of the Owls event but with only the Batman issues and also includes issue 12.

I personally really enjoyed Night of the Owls as an event, and unlike most of the other N52 Batman events I think its tie-ins were generally pretty good, so I'd pick up the Night of the Owls trade if I were to choose between that and the City of Owls trade, and just pick up the single issue 12 off Comixology. You honestly don't have to even do that, because issue 12 is super stand-alone and again outside of Batman Eternal (which, again, you absolutely should not read) nobody ends up using the character introduced. It's a good issue of comics, though.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The Endgame tie-ins are good too (that Joker Endgame collection.) There were Batman backups, a great Annual and a neat silent Batgirl issue you wont get in the regular trade. I was just trying to pair it down since they're unnecessary.

edit: Joker: Endgame collects the regular story too? I didn't know. Get that over the Batman volume then.

I'd definitely avoid the Zero Year tie-in trade since most of the comics just took the time to tell past stories related to their heroes, and won't really do a lot isolated. The Action Comics one is worth reading. It's great and kicks off Greg Pak's run, but it's included in the first trade of that.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Sep 11, 2016

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

joehonkie posted:

Silver Surfer #34-38 you mean.

Especially #36.

Dang, okay good thing I asked it looks like I would've missed a bunch of stuff. Thanks!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Well it's not necessary, Infinity Gauntlet is a great standalone story and all you need is in there, but I think it fleshes out the story really well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Check out this slipcase for Batman. First three volumes of what I needed.

Edit: Ugh, it's gonna look so annoying on my bookcase if it doesn't match with the rest.

obi_ant fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Sep 11, 2016