Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

ArmadilloConspiracy posted:

I don't want to go to a childbirth class because if I come face-to-face with a woman who has ~*~never felt better!~*~ than when she was pregnant, or someone who thinks getting an epidural automatically makes you a bad mother, I am probably going to cry or punch something. What are some good resources I can go through while remaining a cranky hermit?

I'm planning on a regular hospital birth, if that matters in recommendations.

The class I took was nothing like that - it was through the hospital and everyone was universally terrified of what was about to happen. Literally as the nurses described the stages of labor we were all like, oh poo poo what did we get ourselves into and how much drugs can you pump into us? Was fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

Hi_Bears posted:

The class I took was nothing like that - it was through the hospital and everyone was universally terrified of what was about to happen. Literally as the nurses described the stages of labor we were all like, oh poo poo what did we get ourselves into and how much drugs can you pump into us? Was fun!

Yeah mine was like this too. Also one gal that said she was not going to be breastfeeding and there was no judgement or questions asking Why. It was a safe space to be honest about stuff that I really appreciated.

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3

I don't want to go to a childbirth class because if I come face-to-face with a woman who has ~*~never felt better!~*~ than when she was pregnant, or someone who thinks getting an epidural automatically makes you a bad mother, I am probably going to cry or punch something. What are some good resources I can go through while remaining a cranky hermit?

I'm planning on a regular hospital birth, if that matters in recommendations.

Have you ever noticed that whenever you say "pregnancy is gross" or any negative thing about pregnancy, some loving twat woman who IS CURRENTLY NOT PREGNANT AND MAYBE HAS NOT EVER BEEN PREGNANT pops from around the corner to tell you just how loving wrong you are and how pregnancy is magical and delightful and special? gently caress those people.

ArmadilloConspiracy
Jan 15, 2010

Funhilde posted:

Yeah mine was like this too. Also one gal that said she was not going to be breastfeeding and there was no judgement or questions asking Why. It was a safe space to be honest about stuff that I really appreciated.

I just kind of worry that mine won't be. My hospital doesn't do classes, and the ones at the parenting center in the brochures that came with the pregnancy/labor/newborn care book my OB gave me are taught by my mother-in-law's friend's daughter, oddly enough. Apparently her other business ventures include reiki and dietary coaching that involves a lot of "purification cleanses". This leaves me...somewhat skeptical.

Sharks Below posted:

Have you ever noticed that whenever you say "pregnancy is gross" or any negative thing about pregnancy, some loving twat woman who IS CURRENTLY NOT PREGNANT AND MAYBE HAS NOT EVER BEEN PREGNANT pops from around the corner to tell you just how loving wrong you are and how pregnancy is magical and delightful and special? gently caress those people.

"Oh, once you hold that baby in your arms you'll forget all the bad parts ever happened!"
-My horrible co-worker
-Also one of the nurses I met at the hospital while I was there with a kidney stone, because pregnancy makes you more susceptible to kidney stones, because of course it does

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3
I have a due date buddy with a kidney stone right now too :( I'm sorry ArmCon!

I just wish I could say one thing without it being thrown back in my face. Like "god I'm so tire-" "JUST YOU WAIT TIL THE BABY COMES HOHO THEN YOU WILL TRULY KNOW FATIGUE"

sigh

kittiesgomeow
Oct 13, 2008

This avatar cost on average $27.

Sharks Below posted:

I just wish I could say one thing without it being thrown back in my face. Like "god I'm so tire-" "JUST YOU WAIT TIL THE BABY COMES HOHO THEN YOU WILL TRULY KNOW FATIGUE"

sigh

Literally the LEAST helpful thing but it's everyone's favorite quip! :haw:

ArmadilloConspiracy
Jan 15, 2010

Sharks Below posted:

sigh

Oh, the kidney stone happened months ago. I've just stayed bitter about a NURSE somehow thinking that having a baby would make me forget having a freaking kidney stone.

Though it's been great fun drinking a minimum of a gallon of water a day to keep it from happening again. A MINIMUM of a gallon. While pregnant.

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3
Oh don't get me loving started on the bullshit water garbage. "MAKE SURE YOU DRINK HEAPS OF WATER AND GET HEAPS OF SLEEP" ummm yeah ok, those things are massively contraindicated soooo yeah cool thanks, helpful, gently caress off

ArmadilloConspiracy
Jan 15, 2010

Sharks Below posted:

Oh don't get me loving started on the bullshit water garbage. "MAKE SURE YOU DRINK HEAPS OF WATER AND GET HEAPS OF SLEEP" ummm yeah ok, those things are massively contraindicated soooo yeah cool thanks, helpful, gently caress off

But "drink two glasses of water, take some tylenol, and lie down on your left side" solves any discomfort in pregnancy, silly!

And don't forget swimming and yoga!

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Sharks Below posted:

"Pregnancy is always beautiful" I think to myself after laughing and then accidentally pissing a bit

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

Sharks Below posted:

sigh

I hate that....so so much. I finally told coworkers I can't handle negative poo poo right now so keep it to themselves.

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3
Right but don't you dare suggest they regret having kids or that they don't love every loving microsecond of parenting okay. DONT U DARE

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

On a more positive note! Test results for all the scary genetic abnormalities came back all negative. And found out we're having a boy. :) Husband and I were kinda hoping for a girl, but we have the perfect boys name picked out, so we're happy.

I joked that I have a little dick just floating around in me and had a good laugh about it.

New Weave Wendy
Mar 11, 2007

Sharks Below posted:

sigh

I had horrible insomnia towards the end of being pregnant both times. Like, could not go to sleep, could not stay asleep, could not go back to sleep. Both times having a newborn my sleep was much better. So gently caress those people in short.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?

New Weave Wendy posted:

I had horrible insomnia towards the end of being pregnant both times. Like, could not go to sleep, could not stay asleep, could not go back to sleep. Both times having a newborn my sleep was much better. So gently caress those people in short.

Yeah, I had this happen to me too. As soon as I had my baby, I could sleep again with some level of comfort and the blocks of sleep I was getting between feeding the baby were heaps more restful, quality sleep than what I'd been getting for the last couple of months.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
I was bought (I asked for it) big expensive cardboard box for baby to sleep in.

It's based on a Finnish system where new mothers get a box filled with clothes and stuff for baby, and the box doubles up as their first bed. I kinda like the idea and it'll double up as a nice memory box type thing once he has grown out of it. It comes with a mattress and sheets. And a lid, so I guess when I don't want to look at him I can seal him in it (joke)

The Finnish baby box company do a MOOMIN ONE! But it is the best part of $700. That's....quite a lot of money.

https://www.finnishbabybox.com/products/moomin-edition-finnish-baby-box

Miranda
Dec 24, 2004

Not a cuttlefish.

Ms. Happiness posted:

On a more positive note! Test results for all the scary genetic abnormalities came back all negative. And found out we're having a boy. :) Husband and I were kinda hoping for a girl, but we have the perfect boys name picked out, so we're happy.

I joked that I have a little dick just floating around in me and had a good laugh about it.

High five genetic test buddy! We had our perinatologist appt today and ultrasound looked normal. Still getting the more extensive/sensitive chromosome testing but otherwise i feel a bit better about it now.

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

Miranda posted:

High five genetic test buddy! We had our perinatologist appt today and ultrasound looked normal. Still getting the more extensive/sensitive chromosome testing but otherwise i feel a bit better about it now.

I thought I was kinda out if the woods with this genetic test, then at my last visit, physician was like, oh we're testing for spinal bifida next! I guess the anxiety just never ends.

SquirrelFace
Dec 17, 2009

bee posted:

Yeah, I had this happen to me too. As soon as I had my baby, I could sleep again with some level of comfort and the blocks of sleep I was getting between feeding the baby were heaps more restful, quality sleep than what I'd been getting for the last couple of months.

I am hoping this happens for me. Right now I wake up 2-3 times a night at least due to back pain/ hip pain/ heartburn/ having to pee.

I was joking with my husband that human pregnancy is a great argument against evolution, because you end up slow, awkward, tired and out of breath and THEN have to get the thing out at great peril to yourself...good job nature! I would so be eaten by some large predator if I didn't have a house...

The thing that makes me most upset about pregnancy advice is the patronizing way all advice you get comes with the caveat of "well, just remember that you get a baby at the end." Yes, I know and that's good, but how exactly does that help my heartburn?

nyerf
Feb 12, 2010

An elephant never forgets...TO KILL!

Rondette posted:

It's based on a Finnish system where new mothers get a box filled with clothes and stuff for baby, and the box doubles up as their first bed. I kinda like the idea and it'll double up as a nice memory box type thing once he has grown out of it. It comes with a mattress and sheets. And a lid, so I guess when I don't want to look at him I can seal him in it (joke)

The Finnish baby box company do a MOOMIN ONE! But it is the best part of $700. That's....quite a lot of money.

https://www.finnishbabybox.com/products/moomin-edition-finnish-baby-box

We were given a moomin box as a present and it is so worth it. So many perfectly practical non-gendered clothes and bits and pieces! Although it's debatable as to whether you'd say it's 'all you need for baby's first year'--she stopped fitting into the box from about 8 weeks (thanks >98th percentile height genes), and probably needed a few more changes of clothes than what the box came with. But the clothes in it are particularly good quality--I have not been able to find an online retailer that can duplicate the quality without also charging me like an arm and a leg to ship like a pair of pants from far flung Scandinavia. The box came with international shipping!

Having said that, it still doesn't hold a candle to an Actual Finnish Baby Box From the Finnish Govt which seem to generally come with even more stuff and awesomeness included. gdi Finland, why couldn't I have been a citizen there. Or maybe Sweden. 18 months paid parental leave at 70% salary? Yes please.

It'd be cool if they made baby boxes for subsequent ages...like the 9 to 12 month age range, or 12-18 months, etc so I never have to shop and she always has things to wear that are decent quality. At the moment I'm trying to decide if using a mail forwarder will be worth it to nab some woollen German made clothes, so sick of the pathetic quality of children's clothes in this country that values ornamental fluff over function/practicality.

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

Ms. Happiness posted:

I thought I was kinda out if the woods with this genetic test, then at my last visit, physician was like, oh we're testing for spinal bifida next! I guess the anxiety just never ends.

When my Panorama test failed twice they sent us to a genetic counselor who was basically pushing for an amnio. But then I read that there's a 4% chance of some random condition that no test could even catch anyway. So yes, get comfortable with that anxiety!
(fwiw my baby was born super healthy and has continued to be a healthy, easy thriving baby at 7 months)

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

nyerf posted:

We were given a moomin box as a present and it is so worth it. So many perfectly practical non-gendered clothes and bits and pieces! Although it's debatable as to whether you'd say it's 'all you need for baby's first year'--she stopped fitting into the box from about 8 weeks (thanks >98th percentile height genes), and probably needed a few more changes of clothes than what the box came with. But the clothes in it are particularly good quality--I have not been able to find an online retailer that can duplicate the quality without also charging me like an arm and a leg to ship like a pair of pants from far flung Scandinavia. The box came with international shipping!

Ah you lucky person! It does look amazing, I'd be chuffed to get one as a gift but I couldn't bring myself to buy one for my own pleasure.... but answer me this....were the condoms Moomin branded?

ArmadilloConspiracy
Jan 15, 2010

SquirrelFace posted:

I am hoping this happens for me. Right now I wake up 2-3 times a night at least due to back pain/ hip pain/ heartburn/ having to pee.

I was joking with my husband that human pregnancy is a great argument against evolution, because you end up slow, awkward, tired and out of breath and THEN have to get the thing out at great peril to yourself...good job nature! I would so be eaten by some large predator if I didn't have a house...

The thing that makes me most upset about pregnancy advice is the patronizing way all advice you get comes with the caveat of "well, just remember that you get a baby at the end." Yes, I know and that's good, but how exactly does that help my heartburn?

My personal favorite is how whenever you look up horrible pregnancy symptoms, it makes sure to tell you that it "should clear up soon after the baby is born." Like...really? That's where you're going with this? You actually think that saying "Oh, wait several weeks/months and it will go away" is comforting and helpful?

I like to imagine the people who give me poo poo going to the doctor, reporting half my symptoms, and just getting a smile and nod and an assurance that said symptoms will go away in six months. No, don't worry, your symptoms aren't hurting anyone else. Just think positively, drink water, and get plenty of rest and it will all be worth it in the end. Why don't you take your mind off of things by redecorating a room in your house or creating a scrapbook? Oh, and make sure you don't eat anything on this page-long list or something really, really terrible is going to happen. Oh, you usually eat those things every day? Well, it's only for six months. You can do it!

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3

Miranda posted:

Miranda I'm so happy to read this! :D

nyerf
Feb 12, 2010

An elephant never forgets...TO KILL!

Rondette posted:

Ah you lucky person! It does look amazing, I'd be chuffed to get one as a gift but I couldn't bring myself to buy one for my own pleasure.... but answer me this....were the condoms Moomin branded?

Nooo they weren't! The newborn diaper pack was though. I got a kick out of the sanitary napkins were the national branded ones--I wonder if they even stock any other brands in Finland or whether it's a protected industry like razor blades are in Sweden. They were the best pads I'd ever used, would buy again.

TRISHY
Apr 12, 2005

Hi all!

Found out I was pregnant yesterday! I've taken 6 pregnancy tests and they all came up positive straight away. I am still a bit in shock, but definitely explains a lot of things.
I have PCOS, was told it's virtually impossible to get pregnant. I was silly and was careless with my partner.
I'm 30, he is 42. He is over the moon, as am I.

I've got morning sickness real bad, is it true that eating crackers before you get out of bed in the morning helps?
I feel so hungover.

I have doctors appointments on Tuesday, unfortunately it was the earliest she could get me in.
I've worked out that I am roughly 5-6 weeks.

Please give me some tips to battle the sickness?

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3
Oh god you poor thing!

Are you in the USA? You can use Unisom+B6 (both OTC at CVS or whatever) to ease nausea, the unisom at night (it's a sleep aid so before bed is best) and the b6 in the morning (that's how my doctor told me to take it anyway, and it worked). Eating bland things regularly helps a lot, including right before you get up before you start feeling super sick. Ginger ale also helps!

Congratulations!

Sharks Below fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Sep 10, 2016

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Lays plain chips helped me, I got the lightly salted ones and some ginger ale to help with nausea.

SquirrelFace
Dec 17, 2009
The biggest thing that helped me with the morning sickness was to constantly have something plain I could snack on.

The second I let myself get even a little hungry, I immediately felt sick to my stomach.

TRISHY
Apr 12, 2005

Will stock up on plain foods!
Thank you!!

I am in Australia. Not looking forward to being pregnant in summer. Ugh!

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3

TRISHY posted:

Will stock up on plain foods!
Thank you!!

I am in Australia. Not looking forward to being pregnant in summer. Ugh!

Oh god! Still, if you're only that far along at least at the end itll be cooler. See if your doc will prescribe you some Zofran/Ondansetron at your appointment. But seriously the "have something small and plain in your tummy at all times" thing works pretty well.

I'm an Aussie living in America and lemme tell you, all I ate for many many days on end was vegemite on toast, thank god for the huge vat of it my dad sent me.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I kept a bag of little konnyaku jellies at work. Good for constipation too, maybe?!?!

Miranda
Dec 24, 2004

Not a cuttlefish.

Sharks Below posted:

Oh god! Still, if you're only that far along at least at the end itll be cooler. See if your doc will prescribe you some Zofran/Ondansetron at your appointment. But seriously the "have something small and plain in your tummy at all times" thing works pretty well.

I'm an Aussie living in America and lemme tell you, all I ate for many many days on end was vegemite on toast, thank god for the huge vat of it my dad sent me.

I wasn't sick but ate all the Vegemite anyway. The little one must learn our ways.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Is deli meat okay if you heat it? I was thinking of making a toasted ham and cheese sandwich for lunch but I know deli meat is on the no no list.
I found a "what not to eat" that was honestly, basically everything.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Americans are told to steam or microwave deli meat. It sounds like too much to me but otoh the US has a history of serious food contamination. (Meanwhile in Japan you get tea, sashimi and raw eggs in hospital meals.)

Miranda
Dec 24, 2004

Not a cuttlefish.

Toriori posted:

Is deli meat okay if you heat it? I was thinking of making a toasted ham and cheese sandwich for lunch but I know deli meat is on the no no list.
I found a "what not to eat" that was honestly, basically everything.

Yes you should heat it til steaming. I have forgotten a bunch of times though...

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

peanut posted:

Americans are told to steam or microwave deli meat. It sounds like too much to me but otoh the US has a history of serious food contamination. (Meanwhile in Japan you get tea, sashimi and raw eggs in hospital meals.)

I'm in canada so who knows, may make a difference but I was planning on making the sandwich in the oven anyway so not an issue. It's funny because I actually don't typically eat meat but man oh man, BABY WANT MEAT.

ArmadilloConspiracy
Jan 15, 2010
I had lunch with my mom today, and she was insistent about special baby laundry detergent.

1) Is this actually necessary if I already get detergent that's perfume and dye free because my skin is a little bitch and scented detergents don't get along with my respiratory system?

2) If yes, are there any good brands that have little/no scent?

Aquamarie
Jul 22, 2004

do not swim without knowing jeez

I had lunch with my mom today, and she was insistent about special baby laundry detergent.

1) Is this actually necessary if I already get detergent that's perfume and dye free because my skin is a little bitch and scented detergents don't get along with my respiratory system?

2) If yes, are there any good brands that have little/no scent?

As far as I know, dye free and perfume free is perfect, no need to buy some expensive baby brand.

Checking in here, I'm 36wks with my second child, looking forward to an RCS next month. Despite having a toddler to contend with this time around, this pregnancy has been a breeze compared to my first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Weave Wendy
Mar 11, 2007
My oldest has pretty sensitive skin and had eczema as a baby. My normal detergent irritated her skin but original Tide was fine. YMMV obviously.