Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Koorisch posted:

So I got Victoria 2 and it's pretty nice but I seem to be unable to get any of my primary POPs to the colonies I get, any idea how to fix/change it so I can actually get ANY assimilation?

I'm not talking about putting it up so much that GB turns into a 100% british POP nightmare, just so that I can get any at all, after 20+ years you would think that people would start adjusting!

You can hover over the assimilation chance in the detailed POP screen, IIRC the biggest obstacle is the -20% or so when the culture has a core in that province.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

This thread caused me to look up the 2 26 Incident, which led to me looking up the May 15 Incident and "government by assassination", and as if that wasn't good enough, the cherry on the cake was discovering that interwar Japan had an ultranationalist group called "The League of Blood". Thread delivers.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Beefeater1980 posted:

This thread caused me to look up the 2 26 Incident, which led to me looking up the May 15 Incident and "government by assassination", and as if that wasn't good enough, the cherry on the cake was discovering that interwar Japan had an ultranationalist group called "The League of Blood". Thread delivers.

That's metal as gently caress

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
Japan never does things by halves.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

Except divide military authority.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Westminster System posted:

Japan never does things by halves.

except cryptography and military intelligence

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

something something AV gas fumes in carriers or whatever

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Beefeater1980 posted:

This is the same country that calls their imperial seat of power "The Chrysanthemum Throne." It's an entire country that names their stuff like a video game boss.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

AnoHito posted:

This is the same country that calls their imperial seat of power "The Chrysanthemum Throne." It's an entire country that names their stuff like a video game boss.
I'm pretty sure that videogame bosses wish they could come up with names like that entire country does.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Podcat you are a wonderful troll-

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/hoi4-development-diary-september-9th-2016.967971/

quote:

As you know our games collect stats and metrics and who doesn't love stats?
12% of players use Nato counters (this jumped a whole percentage when Black ICE and August Storm mods released)

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

GrossMurpel posted:

You can hover over the assimilation chance in the detailed POP screen, IIRC the biggest obstacle is the -20% or so when the culture has a core in that province.

So how do you counteract the -20% malus?

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

Koorisch posted:

So how do you counteract the -20% malus?

You don't.

podcat
Jun 21, 2012

yeah, couldn't help myself :3

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

France is my go to for when a new patch is out, the rest of the world has poo poo taste in nations

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Kinda feels like you could save yourself a lot of trouble on the "AI sticks with light tanks forever" front by just making light tanks and medium tanks the same kind of equipment, not requiring a template/battalion switchover.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Gort posted:

Kinda feels like you could save yourself a lot of trouble on the "AI sticks with light tanks forever" front by just making light tanks and medium tanks the same kind of equipment, not requiring a template/battalion switchover.

In Hoi2 the light ones eventually just all upgraded into mediums.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

That's not a troll.

This is a troll

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

V for Vegas posted:

That's not a troll.

This is a troll

hahahaah

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
RIP My External Hard Drive. You died bravely, but you could not hold up to the strain of a 1000 divisions crashing against each other in Europe. Started clicking like crash last night. Restarted the my computer and the HD is not longer visible. On the plus side it was just media and games data...but it was a really nice 4tb HD. Now I have to figure out if I should see if it can be fixed (still powers on) or just get a much smaller SSD and wait till later to try and recover the data.

Still it's impressive when a game can do so much that you HD just throws up double birds and goes, "gently caress it I'm out."

And to try and tie back to the thread topic does SSD installed Paradox games tend to run faster or is the issues more CPU or memory released? At least so much as it relates to CKII (which got a lot better) EU4 and HOI4.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
They'll start up and save/load faster, but the running speed won't change much.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Darkrenown posted:

They'll start up and save/load faster, but the running speed won't change much.

Is that one of those things were adding more memory would help? Which I'm totally fine with since it's cheaper and easier to do. I guess I'm just wondering what the most likely thing to affect running speed would be.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

gfanikf posted:

Is that one of those things were adding more memory would help? Which I'm totally fine with since it's cheaper and easier to do. I guess I'm just wondering what the most likely thing to affect running speed would be.

cpu

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Figured it would be the most expensive part to replace. Thanks. Oh well at least it was just an external.

Edit: I totally forgot I've never over clocked my cpu before...well guess that's something to try later tonight.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Sep 14, 2016

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The biggest bottleneck with Paradox games is the CPU. Maybe upgrade to an overclockable Skylake CPU if you don't have one yet. Getting faster RAM might help too, this is one of the scenarios where it probably makes a difference. Of course, it depends on your current motherboard whether or not overclocking/faster RAM is even possible.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I tried out Meiou and Taxes (lol) and it runs like loving garbage. Is there any way to make it run a little better?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Demiurge4 posted:

I tried out Meiou and Taxes (lol) and it runs like loving garbage. Is there any way to make it run a little better?

Uninstalling it will do wonders.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
They managed to take 2 of the biggest mods from EU3 and combine the worst traits of both and then poo poo even more crimes against visual design on top, it's quite special.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Death and Taxes initially had good map changes (for EU3) and it was fun imo

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

asia universalis

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

RabidWeasel posted:

They managed to take 2 of the biggest mods from EU3 and combine the worst traits of both and then poo poo even more crimes against visual design on top, it's quite special.
It's the empire of Charles V of EU4 mods.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It's the empire of Charles V of EU4 mods.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=759921516&searchtext=

?????

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

RabidWeasel posted:

My favorite part is how a mod can be smug.

That was long time ago though don't know if they still got that pause message.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

I've had that happen far too often without a mod

Also, why does Norway ALWAYS do this:

Granted they'd been flipped to Iceland by this point but they seem to really love central america to a point it has to be intended.

Westminster System fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Sep 16, 2016

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Weird, I don't think I've ever even seen Norway colonize before, let alone colonize central America.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
If it ain't Norwegian Panama its Norwegian Brazil.

Just securing future holiday sites I guess.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
oh my gods "Summerbirdcountry" is an amazing colony name

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Deceitful Penguin posted:

oh my gods "Summerbirdcountry" is an amazing colony name

Butterflycountry actually.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
Pretty sure it is just because Norway have a bunch of ideas that help them colonize. The thing becomes that usually they don't survive, but if they do they usually go colonize somewhere. But they are most of the time late to the party so the northern parts are usually taken by GB at that point so they go for "whatever" and SA and CA have more high development provinces concentrated in certain areas(Mexico, Brazil, Colombia, Chile) compared to NA which just have a total higher amount of development but not that many high dev provinces.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Cynic Jester posted:

Butterflycountry actually.

He's Icelandic so I'll trust his judgment this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Phlegmish posted:

He's Icelandic so I'll trust his judgment this time.

Sommerfugl is the Norwegian word for butterfly. If you translate the two words separately it translates to summer bird though. It's not in Icelandic but Norwegian. If it was icelandic, it'd be something like sumarfugl or sumarlegurfugl or something. Icelandic is strange.