Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Umm the main headline on CNN specifically says that Hillsry did not apologize for saying "deplorable" and only for saying "half"

Hell the bolded text is "That's not the word she regrets" and "Clnton calls some Trump supporters deplorable."

"That's not the word she regrets" is just a terrible headline in general. If I didn't know anything about the story and just read that headline, I'd be completely confused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

Or they can use the tried and true tactic of pretending she said "all supporters" instead of apologizing for saying half.

"The trump racists aren't real" they will chant.

That's not necessarily untrue either though.

I mean it's more like 80% if we're being honest.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Spaced God posted:

Wait let me get this straight. People are mad that Hilary called racist Islamophobic homophobic assholes bad people?
The gently caress is this country? :psyduck:
Its an alcoholic saying that it doesn't have a drinking problem and getting really pissy that its friends have set up an intervention for him.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Tomorrow's the day the trump quote about the twin towers only being famous because of 9/11 makes the rounds

If there is a just and loving god

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Has anyone of those deplorables commented on the fact that John Hinckley Jr. was released from a mental institution today? I don't really know a lot about him, but shouldn't the right wing really hate him?

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

"If we didn't remove [the] incredibly powerful fire retardant asbestos & replace it with junk that doesn't work, the World Trade Center would never have burned down,"

meanwhile Hillary supports the first responders who were dying from loving asbestos.

if that doesn't come up tomorrow, i just don't know.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Hillary is slightly doing better in the polls. So I just think HRC needs to start taking notes about which newsagencies intentionally stacked the deck for Trumpand have her correspondent in the White House ignore their questions.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

straight up brolic posted:

"If we didn't remove [the] incredibly powerful fire retardant asbestos & replace it with junk that doesn't work, the World Trade Center would never have burned down,"

meanwhile Hillary supports the first responders who were dying from loving asbestos.

if that doesn't come up tomorrow, i just don't know.

what about the fact that Trump actually held a grudge against the WTC for being taller than his dumb tower.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

http://www.bbc.com/news/election-us-2016-37330420

quote:

Hillary Clinton's "basket of deplorables" comments have drawn immediate comparisons to Mitt Romney's 2012 line about 47% of Americans on government dole supporting Barack Obama and Mr Obama's 2008 characterisation of downtrodden Pennsylvanians as clinging to guns and religion.

Unlike those noted gaffes, however, it is not clear how Mrs Clinton's public remarks will directly damage her. She is certainly unlikely to peel off any of Donald Trump's supporters by calling some of them racists or homophobes, but they have stuck by their man through thick and thin. Mrs Clinton's own backers likely agree with her description.

The only question is how the sizable chunk of undecided voters view the controversy. They had started to move toward Mrs Clinton after the Democratic convention but are recently back up in the air or aligning with a third party. They may take exception to Mrs Clinton's calling fully half of all Trump supporters - millions of Americans - deplorable, which is why she has walked back this portion of her comments.

If the debate turns over how many of Mr Trump's backers are overtly racist or bigoted, however, that is political terrain the Democrat will gladly fight on.

What is this

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I hope someone, anyone, calls out Trump for his absolute escruciatingly awful lies about "thousands" of Muslims cheering in the streets in New Jersey on 911. Trump has said so many outrageous things by that one really bugs me something fierce.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
:lol:

quote:

Mr Trump's running mate, Mike Pence, said: "They are not a basket of anything. They are Americans & they deserve your respect."

The more they talk about this the more swing voters will genuinely ponder whether any of Pence's assertion is true.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

The major difference between the Obama's "clinging" comment, Romney's 47% thing, and Hillary's bucket-o-assholes statement is that unlike the religious, gun owners, or the poor nobody is going to publicly go to bat for racism.

I think Hillary's response neatly plays off of the first attempt by the GOP to attack her over the comment. Like someone said earlier in the thread now the argument being had is about exactly how many of Trump's supporters are racist/bigoted/homophobic/xenophobic/etc and nearly every news source that isn't Fox News is now including the rest of her statement in the follow up when they weren't in the initial coverage.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
I love how every major moment has a terrible Trump tweet to accompany it.

This is probably a preview of every candidate for the remainder of our lives, isn't it?

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Your Boy Fancy posted:

This is probably a preview of every candidate for the remainder of our lives, isn't it?
maybe but trump is a rare breed of dickhead, so it'll likely not be as bad

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

its the BBC being dumb as hell

yeah no poo poo shes unlikely to peel off any Trump supporters, but it aint because she called them racist. its because Trump supporters are unreachable.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Presumably as time goes on, management of your online persona will become a more commonly understood and learned skill, and famous people will be better about deleting dumb poo poo, and hiring managers to do it for them.

What we are presently seeing is a bunch of olds who grew up in a time when the most advanced source of news was TV tripe and are having issues adapting to the difficulty of hiding things on the Internet and the lightning speed at which things spread over social media.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

I'm no political strategist, but I think the Trump team are going at this the wrong way. They're happily conflating their entire electorate into a "basket of deplorables", deliberately misconstruing Hillary's statement in an effort to circle their wagons and adopt the "slur" as a badge of honor; but I don't think this is going to work as well as they hope, cause yes, it will increase the enthusiasm of the fascists, racists, homophobes and pepes; but on the other hand, the more "normal" R voters, those that are "holding their nose and voting for Trump", are seeing themselves being equated to the Pepes and the rest of them. It might give a few of them pause; it will probably lower their enthusiasm.

Come to think of it, that was the entire point of the remark and the partial retractation today. 4d chess etc.

Also:

https://twitter.com/EricTrump/status/774718444466044928

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

paranoid randroid posted:

its the BBC being dumb as hell

yeah no poo poo shes unlikely to peel off any Trump supporters, but it aint because she called them racist. its because Trump supporters are unreachable.

You might even say they're deplorable.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Your Boy Fancy posted:

I actually think one of the issues is that we no longer have an ability to change our opinions. Some guy in the premier league just got banned for tweeting homophobic stuff in 2009, which is unadvisable and deplorable, but everyone––in addition to the right to have an opinion––has the right for their opinions to be challenged and changed.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

canepazzo posted:

I'm no political strategist, but I think the Trump team are going at this the wrong way. They're happily conflating their entire electorate into a "basket of deplorables", deliberately misconstruing Hillary's statement in an effort to circle their wagons and adopt the "slur" as a badge of honor; but I don't think this is going to work as well as they hope, cause yes, it will increase the enthusiasm of the fascists, racists, homophobes and pepes; but on the other hand, the more "normal" R voters, those that are "holding their nose and voting for Trump", are seeing themselves being equated to the Pepes and the rest of them. It might give a few of them pause; it will probably lower their enthusiasm.

Come to think of it, that was the entire point of the remark and the partial retractation today. 4d chess etc.

Also:

Is that he second photo he's tweated out of a different rally?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The Republicans' problem here is that they can't alienate the racists too hard because while I think the actual hard-core for-real racists are maybe a quarter, or a third of their electorate, without them they are toast. The larger cloud of people with shithead opinions who are probably not actually ready to Hail Hydra and join the Trumpstaffel are probably already somewhat uncomfortable with how high the water temperature's gotten.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Speaking of the media and 9/11, I think it was touched on a bit earlier but can we hit back on about how loving disgusting CNN's 9/11 Children series is? I first heard about it in the thread and just thought people were taking something outta context but no they're straight up milking teens who never meaningfully met their dead parents for views
https://twitter.com/CNN/status/774721866292428800
https://twitter.com/CNN/status/774676566588653569

Like, gently caress you for real, CNN

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

canepazzo posted:

Also:

It's because Team Trump has zero control over their base or their messaging, and their base is happy to loudly declare their support for Trump and the extermination of non-white races right into video cameras

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Nessus posted:

The Republicans' problem here is that they can't alienate the racists too hard because while I think the actual hard-core for-real racists are maybe a quarter, or a third of their electorate, without them they are toast. The larger cloud of people with shithead opinions who are probably not actually ready to Hail Hydra and join the Trumpstaffel are probably already somewhat uncomfortable with how high the water temperature's gotten.

Also because those racists are just about the only people who vote in Republican primaries.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Spaced God posted:

Speaking of the media and 9/11, I think it was touched on a bit earlier but can we hit back on about how loving disgusting CNN's 9/11 Children series is? I first heard about it in the thread and just thought people were taking something outta context but no they're straight up milking teens who never meaningfully met their dead parents for views

Sal Pepe is a hilarious name

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

straight up brolic posted:

I actually think one of the issues is that we no longer have an ability to change our opinions. Some guy in the premier league just got banned for tweeting homophobic stuff in 2009, which is unadvisable and deplorable, but everyone––in addition to the right to have an opinion––has the right for their opinions to be challenged and changed.

This is a really good point and it's definitely happening everywhere on all social classes. We aren't allowed to think differently or grow. We must be fully formed at the moment of public consciousness or be deemed a hypocrite. And when the winds shift, god help us.

I'm picturing a social movement for the Right To Be Wrong.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Also, CNN went beyond idiotic and into Fox News territory the second that Trump started quarreling with Megyn Kelly and Fox News. They saw it was a gambit to go harder right in a less GOPe way to wedge off some of FNC's voter base and for awhile they were correct. Their ratings have been slipping tho so it looks like the novelty of a mistress has worn off for the FNC base

I mean they're paying Corey half a million a year to weigh in on politics when he's still advising the Trump campaign and is legally barred from disclosing any information about the campaign or even saying anything mean about Trump at all

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Spaced God posted:

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/774721866292428800

What else did you expect them to do? We know where the planes are.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Epic High Five posted:

Also, CNN went beyond idiotic and into Fox News territory the second that Trump started quarreling with Megyn Kelly and Fox News. They saw it was a gambit to go harder right in a less GOPe way to wedge off some of FNC's voter base and for awhile they were correct. Their ratings have been slipping tho so it looks like the novelty of a mistress has worn off for the FNC base

I mean they're paying Corey half a million a year to weigh in on politics when he's still advising the Trump campaign and is legally barred from disclosing any information about the campaign or even saying anything mean about Trump at all
Is Ted Turner trying to make CNN the WCW to Fox's WWF?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Your Boy Fancy posted:

This is a really good point and it's definitely happening everywhere on all social classes. We aren't allowed to think differently or grow. We must be fully formed at the moment of public consciousness or be deemed a hypocrite. And when the winds shift, god help us.

I'm picturing a social movement for the Right To Be Wrong.

This is the main problem you run into with the fringe left in the US. They demand retroactive ideological purity and will skewer anybody found in violation, even though what they demand purity for changes almost daily.

Look at anything from sites like USUncut or whatever about Kaine around the time he announced. They aren't happy with him because, despite having like a perfect liberal pro-life record, he used to be publicly and likely still is privately, pro-life

It's the reason Stein is polling at 1/3 of a dead gorilla but Johnson has hit 10-11% at times. Well, one of the reasons.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Harambe has more logical consistency in his policy positions than Jill Stein

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

I know this is getting old, but just look at this crowd.
I can only see one person, who might be black.
It's one of the secret service guys.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
Is that rally pic actually from Pensacola this time or what?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Nessus posted:

Is Ted Turner trying to make CNN the WCW to Fox's WWF?

Ted Turner hasnt had control over CNN in a while

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Yinlock posted:

what about the fact that Trump actually held a grudge against the WTC for being taller than his dumb tower.

He bragged the DAY OF THE ATTACKS that his building was tallest again.

"“actually was the second-tallest building in downtown Manhattan, and it was actually, before the World Trade Center, was the tallest—and then, when they built the World Trade Center, it became known as the second-tallest. And now it’s the tallest.”

Goatman Sacks fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Sep 10, 2016

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Trabisnikof posted:

Ted Turner hasnt had control over CNN in a while

In fact WCW basically died as a result of Ted Turner no longer being in control since he personally loved wrestling and always made sure it has a time slot. The AOL/Time Warner person did not.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Luigi Thirty posted:

In fact WCW basically died as a result of Ted Turner no longer being in control since he personally loved wrestling and always made sure it has a time slot. The AOL/Time Warner person did not.

Well that and the avalanche of terrible business decisions.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Yinlock posted:

But Ted Turner is now the second largest private land owner in the US, so that's an ok retirement.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Yinlock posted:

Well, yeah

At least WCW didn't have a midget masturbating in a trash can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Epic High Five posted:

This is the main problem you run into with the fringe left in the US. They demand retroactive ideological purity and will skewer anybody found in violation, even though what they demand purity for changes almost daily.

Look at anything from sites like USUncut or whatever about Kaine around the time he announced. They aren't happy with him because, despite having like a perfect liberal pro-life record, he used to be publicly and likely still is privately, pro-life

It's the reason Stein is polling at 1/3 of a dead gorilla but Johnson has hit 10-11% at times. Well, one of the reasons.

I'm neck deep in the young radical left. It's a cauldron of madness at times. There's a lot of great work being done as well, but the circular firing squad is real, reactionary, and horrifying to behold.

Half of them are still trying to talk themselves in believing in Hillary being the lesser of two evils (or, as I refer to it, "better"). Making the idealism something we can channel into real change is a struggle.

• Locked thread