Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Four Score posted:

sorry there isn't enough levity and theatrics in your television rape plots? what the gently caress is wrong with you

You're a weird, weird, weird dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Mr Hootington posted:

Are the marvel: season one books just a retelling or origins?

Yep.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Ok I'll skip them.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

From what I understand the FF and X-Men Season Ones are pretty good.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.
Doctor Strange Season One has some fantastic Emma Rios art

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Yeah but I know the origins and unless they add something new I don't need them.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mr Hootington posted:

Yeah but I know the origins and unless they add something new I don't need them.

The X-Men one is more about the characters' interactions in between the events of the first few issues of X-Men.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mr Hootington posted:

Ok I'll skip them.

I own all of them except Doctor Strange and some are actually good but I can't remember which are which.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Season One was a weird thing, they weren't explicitly setting up a new continuity, and they weren't really tying into anything going on in the ongoing books. I think the concept behind them was basically to put out something with a contemporary sheen they could sell in bookstore for people who wanted the "origins" of their movie properties. A lot of them were pretty forgettable.

The only ones I have positive memories of:

X-Men - Dennis Hopeless/Jamie McKelvie: I like McKelvie's art, and it's interesting in the sense that all of the original five X-Men (and Magneto and Xavier) have changed so much since 1963 and it had some fun playing with how these characters presented and saw themselves in the original series versus what we/they know now.

Doctor Strange - Greg Pak/Emma Rios: Really nice art, fun little story

Hulk - Fred Van Lente/Tom Fowler: Also very good art, and a fleshing out of everything to do with Hulk's early days through the lens of modern interpretations of Bruce Banner. Had an odd but earned Breaking Bad vibe with Bruce/Rick as Walt/Jesse.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Rios is probably the best artist for Strange that's currently working, and it's a shame she's not doing the ongoing.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Toxxupation posted:

That's not a rebuttal you sick demented narcissist

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Four Score posted:

That's not a rebuttal you sick demented narcissist

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Both of you shut up. You've both got PMs I don't want this thread clogged with whatever the hell this is.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Someone posted a recommended Doc Strange reading list a few months ago, does anyone have the link to that? Alternately, does anyone have any Doc Strange recommendations?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The current series is good, and you can jump right into it.
It's also worth going right back to the start in Strange Tales. The Ditko comics are great.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Yeah, I'm seconding the original strange tales run. The stories really stand up, lots of cosmic weirdness, art is gorgeous, and you get to actually see the character develop in permanent ways that's unusual for superhero stuff. He actually has to earn the cape and the amulet--they weren't part of his character at its conception. The whole sorcerer supreme thing is even a later development. For a long time he's just a very tablets wizard who happens to live in New York where all the action is.

Triumph and Torment is one of the Marvel Graphic Novels, and is a Doom/Strange story that's is def worth reading.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I am organizing comics and I'm on my X-men box, and I gotta say, Anka is the only one who draws Illyana as if she's slavic in the modern era. I like Bachalo's art, but as is said a million times, he has one woman's face and one can only tell them apart by haircuts.

Also makes me wonder if Rachael Grey has shown up lately. I feel like she wouldn't have been like Emma and followed Scott into a stupid attack on the Inhumans.

Though I'd have to say Anka is probably my favorite current Marvel artist.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

twistedmentat posted:

Also makes me wonder if Rachael Grey has shown up lately. I feel like she wouldn't have been like Emma and followed Scott into a stupid attack on the Inhumans.

Though I'd have to say Anka is probably my favorite current Marvel artist.

Rachel's in the Civil War II: X-Men book that Cullen Bunn's doing.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Wanderer posted:

Oh cool. I haven't been buying any tie ins for CW2, just the main books and stuff I already was collecting.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

You should buy the event-specific minis and one-shots,I've read all of them outside of SS and Gods of War (think that's what it's called?) and they've all been really excellent. Especially Choosing Sides, The Accused, and The Fallen.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You buy CW2 stuff and you'll only have yourself to blame for CW3.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Toxxupation posted:

You should buy the event-specific minis and one-shots,I've read all of them outside of SS and Gods of War (think that's what it's called?) and they've all been really excellent. Especially Choosing Sides, The Accused, and The Fallen.

I do have the Justin Trudeau cover of Choosing Sides. JT drops some sick bombs about the Leafs.

SynthOrange posted:

You buy CW2 stuff and you'll only have yourself to blame for CW3.

Maybe CW3 will actually be good? I mean it took 3 tries to get Secret Wars to get good.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Wanderer posted:

Yeah, she's about to attack Attilan, which I'm really looking forward to. Meanwhile, in Uncanny Avengers, Cable to about to crank some Inhuman skulls. I'm hoping it's not a coincidence that the children of Scott Summers are about to pick a fight with Inhumans.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
How is Hyperion the comic? Premise sounds very like Superman Grounded, but looking at the issue synopses it seems decent.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
Could've been more. Better than Grounded (not much isn't, frankly). The super-carny story should've been shorter, and probably would've been if it had been a mini rather than abruptly cancelled. Here's a sample (note the teenager calls herself "Doll"):

I like it, but I really got into Hyperion during Secret Wars.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
Thundra is awesome. I recently read the Lady Liberators She-Hulk issues and she's just so much fun in them. She's cool in Hyperion's solo too after she shows up; hopefully she'll start shining a bit more in Squadron Supreme.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
Hell yeah. Her and Powerless Princess are great. I'm enjoying Squadron Supreme more than Justice League, although the former has a dozen issues out so far and I'm still giving the latter a chance. As another poster pointed out in another thread (sorry, don't recall who), the body count in the current JL arc is absurd.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I just got to the issue of Alias where JJ reveals her past with Kilgrave and the page-turn for when she finally tells Luke Cage what happened into the splash page might be the best poo poo ever.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Having just finished Alias/the pre-Secret War issues of The Pulse I gotta say Bendis' run on Alias is up there with my favorite runs ever. It's amazing how good it is and how well it ties everything up while still placing JJ in a spot where her integration into the 616 not only makes sense, but feels imperative.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
There's always gonna be this little part of me that wishes Jessica Jones were Jessica Drew, as originally conceived.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I'm reading through the original Luke Cage comics and it's interesting that "Sweet sister!" is his main exclamation early on. I just finished an issue though where Señor Muerte is defeated and Cage goes "Christmas!" twice in the span of a few moments. Makes it seem like originally it was a very PG way of having him yell "Christ!" maybe.

Eagerly awaiting when Englehart finally fuses the two!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Spiders are arachnids, Stan.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Dario the Wop posted:

There's always gonna be this little part of me that wishes Jessica Jones were Jessica Drew, as originally conceived.

Is that why Carol is JJ's best gal pal in Alias?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I wish that Patsy wasn't in JJ so they could do an adaptation of her actual series.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

That isn't Patsy. It's "Trish" Walker. Totally different character.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Toxxupation posted:

That isn't Patsy. It's "Trish" Walker. Totally different character.

Are you being a poo poo or ignoring the fact that she is literally Patricia Walker and played a character called Patsy on a television show? It's literally a plot point she started calling herself Trish instead of Patsy to differ herself from that?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Waffleman_ posted:

I wish that Patsy wasn't in JJ so they could do an adaptation of her actual series.

Finally a marvel show that sounds like it actually belongs on ABC

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent

twistedmentat posted:

Is that why Carol is JJ's best gal pal in Alias?
Most likely. Not that JJ is a bad character at all, I just think it would be interesting to see her go from detective to Spider-Woman to Skrull abductee.

Spoilered in case anyone hasn't read New Avengers during Secret Invasion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I dunno what series of Hellcat you'd even adapt, though. I guess AKA Hellcat? But it's barely got like, a good half-dozen issues.

Also reading Alias makes me realize that they basically find-replaced Patsy Walker in JJ with a weird bad version of Carol Danvers.

• Locked thread