Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What's new in the TFA starter box?

Does it include new species, vehicles, droids, etc?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
One of the pregen characters is of a new species, but there are no rules for full character creation with that species.

Overall the TFA box is really no different than the other three Beginner Boxes. The only thing really new is the galaxy map.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Out of curiosity, is either Ilum or Starkiller Base on the new map?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Starkiller Base is, I don't know off the top of my head about Ilum. If it is, it's not expounded on in any detail because it's not in the film.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

PantsOptional posted:

Starkiller Base is, I don't know off the top of my head about Ilum. If it is, it's not expounded on in any detail because it's not in the film.

The map is a hodgepodge of canon and legends planets, but Ilum is not on the map.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Are there write ups for First Order Stuff?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

For people who've run campaigns/played campaigns that started off with the EotE beginner box adventure: did you keep the Krayt Fang or ditch it for something that isn't so Millennium Falcon-ish?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

My players kept it. In all three campaigns we've played (WEG, Saga, and FFG) they've flown a YT1300. They have almost no interest in starship customization.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

jivjov posted:

The map is a hodgepodge of canon and legends planets, but Ilum is not on the map.

I think he is asking because (mild new canon spoiler?) it is implied in a few supplemental materials that the First Order used Illum to construct Starkiller.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

alg posted:

My players kept it. In all three campaigns we've played (WEG, Saga, and FFG) they've flown a YT1300. They have almost no interest in starship customization.

I've played a pretty good amount of FFG SW but haven't yet GM'd a live game. Thinking about giving it a shot using the beginner box adventure as a start, but spicing it up a bit. Maybe make Mos Shuuta larger with more branching paths and ways offworld, and switch out the YT-1300 for something a big less "iconic". I don't have my books handy at the moment, but there's an official statblock for the Ghtroc out there somewhere, right?

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

I switched a YT-2000 from Xwing Alliance out for the Yt-1300 and the party liked it, except for it being smaller inside than the 1300 due to the weird layout. One of the new Force and Destiny books included the stats for a VCX-100 like The Ghost so I'm looking for a way to make that an option for them.

Drone posted:

I've played a pretty good amount of FFG SW but haven't yet GM'd a live game. Thinking about giving it a shot using the beginner box adventure as a start, but spicing it up a bit. Maybe make Mos Shuuta larger with more branching paths and ways offworld, and switch out the YT-1300 for something a big less "iconic". I don't have my books handy at the moment, but there's an official statblock for the Ghtroc out there somewhere, right?

http://swrpg.viluppo.net/transportation/starships/
It's under Freighters, and there's a stat block in the Enter the Unknown splatbook.

My players loved the beginner adventure but the long arm of the hutt campaign (it's on the FFG site as a companion adventure to the boxed one) was a bit too confusing for all of us.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
LOL I've got a reputation for starting SW campaigns with stock Ghtroc freighters. One of the players expressed relief at not having to start with a flying sea turtle after I ran everyone through the beginner game.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
We kept that ship from the beginner game, through another short campaign (can't remember what) and through Jewel of Yavin. We didn't do a lot of space combat and we renamed the ship.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I gave my players a GX-1 Short Hauler named"The Crate Dragon" with a dragon airbrushed on the side. I think they ended up repainting it and spending a lot of cash to change the transponder because they hate fun (and also puns).

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Finster Dexter posted:

LOL I've got a reputation for starting SW campaigns with stock Ghtroc freighters. One of the players expressed relief at not having to start with a flying sea turtle after I ran everyone through the beginner game.

Turtle ship best ship

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Drone posted:

For people who've run campaigns/played campaigns that started off with the EotE beginner box adventure: did you keep the Krayt Fang or ditch it for something that isn't so Millennium Falcon-ish?

I mean yeah if you don't like flying the not-millennium falcon then you can obviously ditch it for something similarly sized but on the other hand its a ship with a lot of customization you can put on it so it tend to be a really good ship to pick if you have someone who is interested in modding their party ship out.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Aug 30, 2016

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

ProfessorCirno posted:

Turtle ship best ship

I dunno, IIRC its super tough in the FFG RPG, but handles like a sack of bricks. Which, I guess, fits the "turtle" theme.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I dunno, IIRC its super tough in the FFG RPG, but handles like a sack of bricks. Which, I guess, fits the "turtle" theme.

Who cares, it looks like a giant flying turtle

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
This is the best game ever. Background: My character is a Wookiee Commando who joined the Rebellion to avenge his parents death and hopefully one day find and rescue his sister who had been taken as a slave. Basically he hates the Empire and slavers of any kind and cares deeply about slaves and wants to free them whenever the opportunity arises.

Two sessions ago our team rescued slaves from a slave ship. Last session we asked if any wanted to volunteer to rescue their cousins who were still captive planetside. The hunters did (it was an indigenous species that were at bow level technology), we armed them with blaster rifles we looted from their captors, and gave them a brief tutorial on which end to point at the enemy. Fast forward a bit, and we decided most of the player characters would assault the front door of the main slaver base, which would distract them long enough for me and my minion posse to go through the back (roof really) and secure the control room (to open the electronically locked slave cages). Well, there was only one guy in the control room so he went down easily enough. What we didn't count on was the leader of the bad guy gang showing up from down the hall. He was as surprised as we were but managed to kill two of my small squad (of minions) before we could react. Well, I knew we were in trouble but I had far more survivability than my beloved troops so I had to close the distance with all haste to put myself between him and them. Long story short it was a close fight, my newbie squad managed to get a few solid hits in as this adversary and I fought in melee to the death. Without my tribal recruits I wouldn't have survived but thanks to the damage they did I managed to land the killing blow. At this point I was near death and in full rage mode and decided to decapitate the slaver leader in my anger. With this trophy, and myself covered in blood from head to toe, we were able to convince the few remaining gang members to give up and free all of the slaves.

I'm still looking for my sister, but today we earned justice for these beings. And for that I am thankful.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

nelson posted:

This is the best game ever. Background: My character is a Wookiee Commando who joined the Rebellion to avenge his parents death and hopefully one day find and rescue his sister who had been taken as a slave. Basically he hates the Empire and slavers of any kind and cares deeply about slaves and wants to free them whenever the opportunity arises.

Two sessions ago our team rescued slaves from a slave ship. Last session we asked if any wanted to volunteer to rescue their cousins who were still captive planetside. The hunters did (it was an indigenous species that were at bow level technology), we armed them with blaster rifles we looted from their captors, and gave them a brief tutorial on which end to point at the enemy. Fast forward a bit, and we decided most of the player characters would assault the front door of the main slaver base, which would distract them long enough for me and my minion posse to go through the back (roof really) and secure the control room (to open the electronically locked slave cages). Well, there was only one guy in the control room so he went down easily enough. What we didn't count on was the leader of the bad guy gang showing up from down the hall. He was as surprised as we were but managed to kill two of my small squad (of minions) before we could react. Well, I knew we were in trouble but I had far more survivability than my beloved troops so I had to close the distance with all haste to put myself between him and them. Long story short it was a close fight, my newbie squad managed to get a few solid hits in as this adversary and I fought in melee to the death. Without my tribal recruits I wouldn't have survived but thanks to the damage they did I managed to land the killing blow. At this point I was near death and in full rage mode and decided to decapitate the slaver leader in my anger. With this trophy, and myself covered in blood from head to toe, we were able to convince the few remaining gang members to give up and free all of the slaves.

I'm still looking for my sister, but today we earned justice for these beings. And for that I am thankful.

When the game is humming away on all gears and it provides the mechanism to make a fun, memorable star wars moment happen there's nothing greater.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

nelson posted:

This is the best game ever.

Confirmed.

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man

nelson posted:

From one Murder Wookie to another, mad respect dude.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Your ridiculous Star Wars RPG-related image of the day:

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Drone posted:

Your ridiculous Star Wars RPG-related image of the day:

What is even happening there :psyduck:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

kingcom posted:

What is even happening there :psyduck:

It's sold out from Amazon directly and no other Amazon resellers have it, so I assume this seller just jacked up the price to Whatever The gently caress.

Meantime it's available from like 5 other internet shops here in Germany for normal, non-insane price. :iiam:

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
A lot of prices are just set by bots. Sometimes they get caught in weird loops and prices end up completely insane (as in this example).

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Anyone know of any good tile resources (on Roll20 or otherwise) that have an especially Star Wars-y feel? I'm likely going to be starting to GM a roll20 game in the next couple weeks and I want to bling that poo poo out, and start working on cool-looking maps.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

So I'll be running the Edge of the Empire starter adventure for a couple of friends within the week, and I'm curious if any goons had anything of note to point out about it, about the ship etc. I was thinking of using a HWK-290 rather than a YT-1300, to avoid Millenium Falcon comparisons, but they're all briefed that we'd be doing it by the book to get the hang of the rules rather than full-on proper session so I don't think it'd be an issue either way.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Serperoth posted:

So I'll be running the Edge of the Empire starter adventure for a couple of friends within the week, and I'm curious if any goons had anything of note to point out about it, about the ship etc. I was thinking of using a HWK-290 rather than a YT-1300, to avoid Millenium Falcon comparisons, but they're all briefed that we'd be doing it by the book to get the hang of the rules rather than full-on proper session so I don't think it'd be an issue either way.

Either your players will have a strong opinion about ships or they won't. If they do, err on the side of giving them what they prefer of comparable value. If they don't, then it doesn't matter what they get. Worse case scenario they can sell it later and pick something else.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Give em a G9 Rigger :getin:

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

nelson posted:

Either your players will have a strong opinion about ships or they won't. If they do, err on the side of giving them what they prefer of comparable value. If they don't, then it doesn't matter what they get. Worse case scenario they can sell it later and pick something else.

Yeah, I'm probably overthinking it, this is going to be just a one-shot anyway. I'm not 100% sure on how much they know about ships and stuff, but we all have internet access, if they see something they like when we get to the main campaign, I can go for it.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Give em a G9 Rigger :getin:

I like those people, and I'd like to play with them again :v:

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Serperoth posted:

The hwk 290 is quite a bit smaller+unarmed, I think there is a larger hwk-1000 that has the same look but can carry a few more people. Stats here: http://swrpg.viluppo.net/transportation/starships/category/45/

Maybe add a turret onto the ship from the get go.

Sushi in Yiddish fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Sep 10, 2016

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

nelson posted:

And if they don’t care, but you don’t want their ship to be a Falcon clone, just say, “Your ship is a YT-1300 freighter. It’s just like the Millennium Falcon, except for a few cosmetic differences. What do you think those differences are?” Let them add shag carpeting or mirrored ceilings or what-have-you.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

echopapa posted:

And if they don’t care, but you don’t want their ship to be a Falcon clone, just say, “Your ship is a YT-1300 freighter. It’s just like the Millennium Falcon, except for a few cosmetic differences. What do you think those differences are?” Let them add shag carpeting or mirrored ceilings or what-have-you.

Oh that could be interesting even for the test session, get into the whole vibe of letting the players shape a lot of stuff. And it means I don't have to do much work on the spot, since everyone knows what the Falcon looks like.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
What's the best premade EotE adventure?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Drone posted:

Anyone know of any good tile resources (on Roll20 or otherwise) that have an especially Star Wars-y feel? I'm likely going to be starting to GM a roll20 game in the next couple weeks and I want to bling that poo poo out, and start working on cool-looking maps.

Pm me

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Covok posted:

The Jewel of Yavin is pretty solid. I got the book and have been reading through it but haven't run it yet. There's a ton of backstory and opportunity for the different classes to be useful.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Drone posted:

https://www.mapsofmastery.com

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Covok posted:

Beyond the Rim is pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Covok posted:

All three have things recommend them. I think Mask of the Pirate Queen is the most open-ended and expansive, taking them into wilderness, urban areas, and capital-ships-battle space. Beyond the Rim is much narrower, with fewer locations and less to do at each of them, but they can get away with a lot of credits. Jewel of Yavin's an actual heist, though, which is neat. Beyond the Rim has at least one significant error (a referenced location without a description) and Jewel of Yavin's race rules seemed ineffective to me.