Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Serious question but how? Is SF2Turbo hidden in the game?

Yeah, cause it's definitely not the part with digitized actors punching each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
It's actually just SF2turbo with digitized actors instead of sprites! The arcade game itself is actually a completely different and more MK style fighter.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Silver Alicorn posted:

Get a Dreamcast and two keyboards for two-player Typing of the Dead

Extremely this. TOTD is awesome and absolutely worth owning both a dreamcast and a dreamcast keyboard for

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Extremely this. TOTD is awesome and absolutely worth owning both a dreamcast and a dreamcast keyboard for

*Two keyboards.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
Crossposting from the PC thread: A beta version of Warcraft Adventures has been released

https://twitter.com/dosnostalgic/status/774650979618807808

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

The PS2 library is so fantastic. It's the system I have the most titles for, and yet I still feel like there are a ton of fun or interesting games to pick up. I picked up some games a few weeks ago.
Nightmare Before Christmas is not a great game, but it's kind of crazy that it exists. Transformers is a very bad game, but it's cool that it has so many G1 transformers in it. I remember really enjoying Spy Hunter 1, and both titles were like a dollar or two each. Simpsons Hit and Run I remember being fun in the same way the recent South Park was, it lets you just get in and explore the town the show is set in.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Dr. Dos posted:

Crossposting from the PC thread: A beta version of Warcraft Adventures has been released

Welp. I know what I'm playing this afternoon.

(It's Street Fighter 2: The Movie because I'm going to prove that it's a terrible game on the Saturn.)

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Serious question but how? Is SF2Turbo hidden in the game?

I actually miss the age of digitized graphics in games. I was obsessed with Mortal Kombat 1-3 (and Trilogy and Ultimate) but MK4 was when I officially stopped enjoying them. I even tried the newest one that everyone loves and I can't get used to the controls. Not to mention pressing down and HP is not the same as it used to be for whatever reason? Why'd they change that?

Because MK3 is old and not actually good to play

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Improbable Lobster posted:

Umk3 for the genesis is the definitive MK game.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Top Hats Monthly posted:

My friend has a copy of Zero Wing for the Sega Mega Drive, and I dunno, despite people saying the SNES had a better sound system, Zero Wing sounds really awesome on a modern speaker system

The Genesis has good audio; it is definitely capable. It's merely different than the SNES. The SNES is all sample-based which is how you get epic soundtracks like FFVI that you would never really get on the Genesis. But the Genesis sounds great in games where they don't try to be what they aren't.

This Is A Good Answer. FM synthesis kinda sounds like tinny robot farts, but it's pretty versatile (compared to say, PSG sound in the SMS) and in the right hands it can be really great. Zero Wing in particular sounds better than the arcade OST, mainly because they added a great drum track. Top Hats Monthly, please check out the following MD OSTs for more peak FM synth:

Thunder Force IV/Lightening Force
Battle Mania Daiginjou
Verytex
Shadow Dancer
Kyukyoku Tiger/Twin Cobra

And anything by Yuzo Koshiro:
Revenge of Shinobi
Streets of Rage 2
Slap Fight MD ("special" mode tracks, my personal favorite)

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Dr. Dos posted:

Did anyone nab the links from the post in the first URL there? I already nabbed the second one last night, but the links in the post for the first URL were up when I first saw them on my phone, then were edited out when I got on my desktop to actually DL them.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Elliotw2 posted:

It's actually just SF2turbo with digitized actors instead of sprites! The arcade game itself is actually a completely different and more MK style fighter.

Sorry, buddy. The home game is just as wretched as the arcade game. Best to be played with alcohol and zero positive expectations.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Shadow Hog posted:

Did anyone nab the links from the post in the first URL there? I already nabbed the second one last night, but the links in the post for the first URL were up when I first saw them on my phone, then were edited out when I got on my desktop to actually DL them.

I got the second link which is all you really need and I've played through the two chapters of the game.

So let's talk about Warcraft Adventures.

Shockingly, it's unfinished. It's an infamously troubled and eventually canceled project from twenty years ago, so you need to ready for a lot of rough edges if you're going to play it. No crashes for me yet, but I've had plenty of other glitches. The most noticeable one right off the bat is that the audio is a temp track. Some of the voice actors have some of their lines finished, but there's gaps. Thrall, the main character, suddenly switched to a text-to-voice synthesizer on me for one line, for example. Other things you'll notice that item descriptions aren't fully in, there's objects that are clearly intended to have some more detail but lack it, and the already rough animation occasionally glitches out.

Getting past the "it's not done" and looking at what was done, I'm not sure Warcraft Adventures would wind up being very good anyway. The first two areas of the game are essentially adventure game cliche 101. The story is laughably terrible. The animation style makes it look like the cheapest of 80's cartoons. Maybe the puzzles will become more engaging now that I've reached the point that the screenshot posted earlier shows, but I don't have a lot of hope for that.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

The animation style makes it look like the cheapest of 80's cartoons.

There's a reason for that muh boi!

Ofecks posted:

This Is A Good Answer. FM synthesis kinda sounds like tinny robot farts, but it's pretty versatile (compared to say, PSG sound in the SMS) and in the right hands it can be really great. Zero Wing in particular sounds better than the arcade OST, mainly because they added a great drum track. Top Hats Monthly, please check out the following MD OSTs for more peak FM synth:

Thunder Force IV/Lightening Force
Battle Mania Daiginjou
Verytex
Shadow Dancer
Kyukyoku Tiger/Twin Cobra

And anything by Yuzo Koshiro:
Revenge of Shinobi
Streets of Rage 2
Slap Fight MD ("special" mode tracks, my personal favorite)

The problem with Genesis soundtracks was whenever composers tried to approximate instruments. All the best composers were basically making dance music.

And then there's Tim Follin and I swear that guy had some backdoor hack on every platform to compose audio beyond anyone else.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Sep 10, 2016

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Top Hats Monthly posted:

My friend has a copy of Zero Wing for the Sega Mega Drive, and I dunno, despite people saying the SNES had a better sound system, Zero Wing sounds really awesome on a modern speaker system

The SNES sound system isn't better, it's just different. The Genesis has a FM synthesizer in it, it's mostly capable of sounds like "square wave" and "sine wave" with envelopes and filters over it and stuff. The SNES has PCM sample playback which means it can play any sound you can hear in the real world, just not at very high fidelity, which gives it a unique sound in itself. Now pick the one you like best and refuse to acknowledge the other has any merit for the rest of your life, it's the grown-up thing to do

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Improbable Lobster posted:

I don't pretend it's Street Fighter Alpha or anything but I love it and I love the stiff controls. I also absolutely love Killer Instinct which a lot of people hate but I'm no fighter snob.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Elliotw2 posted:

The home versions of SF:TM was an attempt to make the game play more like 2T but it's not actually a 2T reskin and there are new (for the time) mechanics in that game that aren't in 2T or SF:TM Arcade. It's not "secretly 2T", it's "secretly a crappy 2T total conversion" and it's not even as fun as SF:TM Arcade, let alone the real 2T.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
Retrovision cables go on sale in a few minutes if anyone wants any.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Genesis is great at tinny robot farts and SNES is great at reverb-y slap bass.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

FireMrshlBill posted:

GT3 A-Spec and GT4... now those are amazing racing games, and my top 2 favorite racing games.

I respect the Dreamcast, just not enough games I enjoy that weren't ported or cross-released elsewhere to justify keeping a spot under my TV for it (or money going towards games for it). Then again, I am not a huge arcade game guy.

I have no ill feelings for the system either. I just have no nostalgia for it because I never played on one.

My interest in arcade ports is also pretty narrow. I'm obsessed with Gradius and Street Fighter and little else. I used to pine for having a Dreamcast so I could play Marvel vs. Capcom and Marvel vs. Capcom 2, but I was generally happy with the PSX port of MvC1 and got the PS2 port of MvC2 right when it came out. Now those games live on my PS3 and I'm satisfied. When I can finally spring for a PS4, the Arcade Archives releases of Gradius games will be there waiting for me.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
Cable ordered. Once I get it I'll post some before and after pictures.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

al-azad posted:

Genesis is great at tinny robot farts and SNES is great at reverb-y slap bass.

The SNES can generally do string instruments really well, including piano, acoustic guitar, and all styles of bass, not just slap.

Star Man posted:

When I can finally spring for a PS4, the Arcade Archives releases of Gradius games will be there waiting for me.

Are the various PS1 Deluxe Packs not available on the digital store? I had the Saturn versions of those and they were fantastic.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I don't think the Gradius Deluxe Pack is on PSN but even if it is, PS4 doesn't support PSX games.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Ofecks posted:

The SNES can generally do string instruments really well, including piano, acoustic guitar, and all styles of bass, not just slap.

All the consoles can "generally" do things well. But echo-y slap bass is the SNES' trademark sound like harsh electric guitar is the Genesis'.

But the grossest sounding console to me is the GBA. Its flaws are passable on those tiny speakers but listening to direct rips and there's this hiss and crackle like I'm listening to video game music on a scratched vinyl.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Ofecks posted:

Are the various PS1 Deluxe Packs not available on the digital store? I had the Saturn versions of those and they were fantastic.

None of them are. It's my understanding that the PS3's compatibility for PSX games is based on the PS2's. Gradius II runs at a reduced framerate for the first stage on Gradius Deluxe Pack and stage seven in Gradius Gaiden also has a framerate issue. Part of the deal for PSX games on the PlayStation Store is that they can't be altered at all. The reason why Mega Man Legends and Mega Man Legends 2 have a higher price point is because of licensed content in those games that they could not remove.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

PS4 doesn't support PSX games.

Whaaaa? That's really disappointing.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

Has anyone here replaced their voltage regulator in their NES top loader with a switching voltage regulator? I was playing River City Ransom and before I knew it, it was two hours later and my NES felt like an oven, so I'm wondering if it would be a good way to cut down on heat.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Someone is selling a NGCD with two controller pads and SamSho 1-3 for $160 locally. I'm really loving tempted to buy it for some strange reason, despite having a Neo Geo Candy MVS setup. I think it's just the controllers, they look so familiar and yet somewhat alien to what I'm used to.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Well, I finished Warcraft Adventures and my initial impressions held for the entire game: it was pretty bad. I don't know if Blizzard made the right business decision to shelve it; the game feels about 70% complete in this build and it might not have taken too much effort to finish it and get some return on investment. There was no way that this was going to turn into a good game, though.

The biggest problem with the game is that it feels like an adventure game by people who played Sierra and LucasArts adventure games but didn't really understand how the genre works. Almost everything puzzle in the game is spot the item to pick up, carry it to the obvious place, and use it in the obvious way. I'm not saying the game needed cat hair moustaches, but good adventure games require some creativity and lateral thinking on the part of the player. Warcraft Adventure had almost none of that. And almost every puzzle was directly linked together. A good example from late in the game is there's a flirty dwarven woman you met earlier who makes shields. Then you reach an area of the game where you have to go talk to a dragon but the dragon breathes fire when you approach. There's dragon scales on the ground right before it and a chest that contains an evening gown right next to it. So everything you need is handed to you in the obvious way right there to deal with the immediate obstacle.

There's also issues with the way it attempts to use narrative. Setting aside some really glaring problems that might have been patched up if all of the story was there (there's a few really big jumps; some may have been lazy writing but some are definitely missing portions of the game), there are moments in the game where narratively something requires immediate attention, but you have to go wander off around the country to actually deal with it. "Oh no, this fellow is going to die if I don't do something immediately! I know, I'll take a few things from here, go to the next country over, assemble them with stuff found there, and then come back and save him!"

The writing that was there is dreadful even by the usual low standards of video games. Every line is a clunker and the story revolves around using orcs as a metaphor for Native Americans. They've been placed on reservations and are having their fighting spirit sapped by drinking lots of alcohol provided by the Alliance (that's the human side in Warcraft, right? I don't care enough to actually look it up).

I know people are still going to play Warcraft Adventures just to see what happened with this famously killed project. It's more interesting as an artifact than a game.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Random Stranger posted:

The writing that was there is dreadful even by the usual low standards of video games. Every line is a clunker and the story revolves around using orcs as a metaphor for Native Americans. They've been placed on reservations and are having their fighting spirit sapped by drinking lots of alcohol provided by the Alliance (that's the human side in Warcraft, right? I don't care enough to actually look it up).

That sounds about par for Blizzard writing.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Agrias120 posted:

Someone is selling a NGCD with two controller pads and SamSho 1-3 for $160 locally. I'm really loving tempted to buy it for some strange reason, despite having a Neo Geo Candy MVS setup. I think it's just the controllers, they look so familiar and yet somewhat alien to what I'm used to.

What model is it, there are three versions and the front loader should be avoided Also the pad controllers are really great when they work but their sticks have a failure rate that makes the N64 stick look reliable, so you should be looking into getting normal neo-geo arcade style sticks anyway because there's pretty much a 100% chance the pad sticks are dead or dying

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

I may live in some kind of bizarre wonderland, but I've never had an N64 in my possession that had any stick dysfunction. Like, I've only ever seen it in the wild. Is this because I did not own Smash/WWF No Mercy/Mario Party? Or is there a different series of games that turned those things to poo poo and I just missed it somehow?

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

d0s posted:

What model is it, there are three versions and the front loader should be avoided Also the pad controllers are really great when they work but their sticks have a failure rate that makes the N64 stick look reliable, so you should be looking into getting normal neo-geo arcade style sticks anyway because there's pretty much a 100% chance the pad sticks are dead or dying

It's the top loader (non-CDZ), and that's good to know about the pads, I didn't realize their failure rate was so high. In any event, I'm going to pass on it, because I can't justify picking it up when I've already got an MVS setup. I was just surprised it popped up for sale in the area, and at a reasonable price. There's a good chance this will drive me to finally buy either the PSX or Saturn port of the SamSho RPG and slog through it once and for all, though.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Agrias120 posted:

It's the top loader (non-CDZ), and that's good to know about the pads, I didn't realize their failure rate was so high. In any event, I'm going to pass on it, because I can't justify picking it up when I've already got an MVS setup. I was just surprised it popped up for sale in the area, and at a reasonable price. There's a good chance this will drive me to finally buy either the PSX or Saturn port of the SamSho RPG and slog through it once and for all, though.

speaking of the samsho RPG does anyone remember the huge drama surrounding the NGCD fan translation that ended with the creator having a huge meltdown, telling the N-G forums he would finish the patch and never release it to anyone but himself, and posting a photo of his dick? those were good times

e:

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

I may live in some kind of bizarre wonderland, but I've never had an N64 in my possession that had any stick dysfunction. Like, I've only ever seen it in the wild. Is this because I did not own Smash/WWF No Mercy/Mario Party? Or is there a different series of games that turned those things to poo poo and I just missed it somehow?

no, my N64 controller that I've had since launch is still perfectly fine, I also didn't play any of the notorious stick breaking games

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

d0s posted:

speaking of the samsho RPG does anyone remember the huge drama surrounding the NGCD fan translation that ended with the creator having a huge meltdown, telling the N-G forums he would finish the patch and never release it to anyone but himself, and posting a photo of his dick? those were good times

no, my N64 controller that I've had since launch is still perfectly fine, I also didn't play any of the notorious stick breaking games

God bless the N-G forums, a never ending cesspool of poo poo and drama.

Gao
Aug 14, 2005
"Something." - A famous guy

d0s posted:

Is that the same guy who put a Let's Play of it on Youtube and still won't release it?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

kirbysuperstar posted:

That sounds about par for Blizzard writing.

It amazes how such a successful and beloved company can consistently produce some of the stupidest and most poorly thought out writing in the entire industry.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Elliotw2 posted:

the saturn/psx and arcade versions are different. arcade version is wacky world and super fun. the saturn/psx games are made to be like sf2. they are all rear end games.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Gao posted:

Is that the same guy who put a Let's Play of it on Youtube and still won't release it?

yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I just finished Faxanadu for the first time and the ending of that game is lol

• Locked thread