Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
That feeling is exactly why I've given up on full on sportbikes on the track. Sure they're faster at the absolute limit but I'm just out there to have fun these days...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I would be doing it if I hadn't just dropped about $3k on the R6 and getting it to where it is now. I'd wind up losing probably $500 if I sold it off now? I dunno, I guess it's more the principal of the thing. Feels bad, man.

God, the Tuono is really great.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Aug 16, 2016

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

BlackMK4 posted:

I would be doing it if I hadn't just dropped about $3k on the R6 and getting it to where it is now. I'd wind up losing probably $500 if I sold it off now? I dunno, I guess it's more the principal of the thing. Feels bad, man.

God, the Tuono is really great.

Get the r6 set up before you throw it in the trash!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I will, I'm headed to Chuckwalla in a few weeks. I know the track really well and it is home of the suspension guy that has set up my last 4 bikes.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Well guys, here is my 100% schedule... feel free to chime in if you will be at anything soon.

Chuckwalla Valley Raceway (Southern California) - Sept 4
Chuckwalla Valley Raceway - Sept 9
Spring Mountain Raceway (Pahrump, Nevada) - October 1
Thunderhill Raceway (Northern California) - October 3
Inde Motorsports Ranch (Tucson, Arizona) - October 23

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
Anyone going to be at TGPR this weekend for WERA? Thinking about stopping by on Sunday to get some video shots and possibly run into some old friends.

JohnnyDangerously
Aug 3, 2007
Disgruntled
Second track day ever. After a body-position class between sessions, I was 100x more comfortable. Got another day scheduled Sept 25 - hopefully I'll be able to pick up where I left off.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I dunno if trackdays are getting busier or what but Chuckwalla trackdays are already completely sold out for September if you want to ride A or B. I dun fuct up.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Pittrace is not for the faint hearted. Especially not for the faint hearted on a completely new-to-them bike. Having a good time now though, after several gp shift close calls...

E: oh and the elevation changes are like riding a rollercoaster without a lap bar

M42 fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Aug 27, 2016

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
New bike and new track at the same time is always fun.... :) How did you like it?

I'm now signed up for
Sept 9th - Chuckwalla - A Group
Oct 1st - Spring Mountain - B Group
Oct 3rd - Thunderhill - Open

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Aug 27, 2016

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Liking it pretty good, track surface is a bit sketch (really highlights my unset suspension), but everything's working well overall. I'm here tomorrow too, we'll see how two days at one track work out.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Pittrace, my dudes!

Craziest gat dam track I've ridden yet. At least half is either steep uphill, a blind crest, steep downhill, or washboard bumps. Really makes you loving work for a good lap. Combined with a new bike, it was a real experience. Mostly I just focused on getting used to the gsxr, which outpaced my sv in every single parameter except exhaust note. It's kind of hard to compare the two in anything but acceleration and brakes for now because it's an unfamiliar track -- once I ride my home track, I'll be able to say more.

This track really highlighted my main issue, which is the brake-move body-lean sequence. Most of the weekend I would move my rear end and leg over while braking, which meant that I couldn't really grab the tank with my legs, which meant all my weight would go right to my arms (felt that poo poo for like 2 days). I trail brake, so moving my body after braking is finished doesn't really work too well and unsettles the bike. A CR gave me some tips, but I didn't get a chance to try them because I test rode an fz07 and an r3 right after (last sessions of the day). He told me to scooch my butt but still grip with my knees until the bulk of the braking is done and I'm tipped like a quarter of the way through, then throw out the leg (while monkey toeing). We'll see. The gsxr definitely needs softer rebound in the rear, trailing edge of tires was crazy built up. However, they never once spun up, which owns because I was always doing that on my sv. Did almost wash out the front by braking way too loving hard on a tar patch though. Also 19x18 mc needs a rebuild :manning:

The fz felt like it would be awesome as a commuter, and the r3 was arguably the most fun I had that day. I see a 300 trackbike in my future.

I didn't crash like half my buddies, so I won trackday :D go me!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I found the best way for me to handle the braking/body transition problem is to get used to bracing with a single leg and letting the inside leg hang free. You enter the braking zone, shift your hips as you pop up to apply the brakes, brace the inside of your outside thigh against the back of the tank, and apply the brakes. Once you've started trailing off the brakes/entering the corner, you dip your shoulder and off you go.

If you end up with a bruise halfway up each inside thigh you're doing it right. The superduke's square edged tank leaves a vertical bruise about 4 inches long, one of the few things I dislike about the bike.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Grip pads helped me quite a bit in keeping me planted when I'm breaking hard and tipping into turns. The difference to me is huge; now I have to see about getting a set for the rest of my bikes.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

I'm drunkreading so my attention span couldn't parse your entire post, but this pic owns and you should probably get it framed or something.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Huh, looks like you already have pads installed. Nm then.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Yeah, it's not an issue with lack of grip, just the timing of it. Thanks Z3n, that sounds like it'll work. Inu, I got lucky because my crew had a photo dude come with. Apparently the official track photog kinda sucks. That portrait shot is the coolest still bike shot I've ever had :swoon:

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Lemme know if you're ever out at any of the tracks near ATL; I'm awful at and kinda hate photography, but I can do videography with my glidecam rig.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Did my first track day yesterday, at Assen. Now I'm a complete newbie so maybe it's just doing things wrong, and they use the 690 for cup racing, but I really didn't like my bike for this. First of all the body position stuff, I found it really awkward to hang off the bike as described, I feel like a higher tank, clipons and rearsets would make this more natural. A bigger issue I had is that when climbing around on the bike like that, it would unsettle the suspension and start bouncing around. Thinking back, I lifted my butt off the seat to move it around, is that the issue and should I just slide? Or is it because my bike's rather softly sprung (and doesn't have adjustable suspension)?

I could still easily match sportbikes in the corners, however I was a bit hesitant to overtake there. On the straights it was no match, near 90 my bike's acceleration turns glacial and it gets rather unstable feeling (maybe adjustable suspension would help here too?). The limited rev range was annoying too, there were a bunch of times where I had to shift mid-corner, or ran into the limiter.

Edit:

Here's my rear tire; are those blobs rubber collected from the track? Why do they collect at the edges?

High Protein fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Sep 4, 2016

M42
Nov 12, 2012

High Protein posted:

First of all the body position stuff, I found it really awkward to hang off the bike as described, I feel like a higher tank, clipons and rearsets would make this more natural. A bigger issue I had is that when climbing around on the bike like that, it would unsettle the suspension and start bouncing around.

I had the same issue with the fz07 I test rode at pittrace, it's prob a combination of unset suspension and a tall seating position/bars. I slam my rear end around the gsxr and sv seat all day and don't get wobbles. The fz was trying to buck me off the whole session, lol. I actually told a buddy of mine with an fz07 to rent a trackbike instead of taking the fz for his first trackday, because it isn't very confidence inspiring.

The rubber's from the track surface. Tires don't actually stick solidly to the ground, they drift a tiny bit when you're cornering (there's a word for it in the proficient motorcycling book, forget what). That's where you pick it all up, when you're on the side of the tire.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Rider tragically passed away at an STT Barber day yesterday. Doesn't happen often, but it still hurts whenever it does.

https://www.facebook.com/sportbiketracktime/posts/1075548422501045?pnref=story

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Yeah he was a buddy of a friend of mine. My friend was the one who originally convinced him to try the track. I can't imagine how he feels right now, let alone his family. Just a kid too...

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

This picture owns

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

M42 posted:

Yeah he was a buddy of a friend of mine. My friend was the one who originally convinced him to try the track. I can't imagine how he feels right now, let alone his family. Just a kid too...
gently caress. Who was it? I have a couple of friends who are out of town and concerned that it may be someone they know

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Justin. Rode a daytona 675

hot sauce posted:

This picture owns

:ocelot:

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

You should really get that framed, M42.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Went to Chuckwalla yesterday and had the bike set up. It was like 108 and humid... gently caress.

Forks have .95 springs in them and are perfect, rear shock has an Ohlins 105 spring that is 10.7 however I was only able to get 14mm sag out of it so I need to find a Ohlins 90 rear spring before I leave in two weeks. Also need to decide if I want to jump to race tires or mount the set of Q3s I've got here. I don't have a problem with the Q3s but I am pretty cautious on them since they like to spin up and I worry about tucking the front while trail braking.

With that said, I'm getting comfortable on the bike but I need to get used to an i4 wanting to be a gear lower everywhere... that and remembering to set up passes since when I run up on someone in a corner I'm hosed with no power on the drive out. The 749 was nice because I didn't need to worry about that, same with the Tuono. Seems like the R6 stops wanting to pull a little north of 12k, is that normal? It feels dead slow but I'm not that far off power wise from new 600s judging by the straights.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Sep 10, 2016

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

Went to Chuckwalla yesterday and had the bike set up. It was like 108 and humid... gently caress.

Forks have .95 springs in them and are perfect, rear shock has an Ohlins 105 spring that is 10.7 however I was only able to get 14mm sag out of it so I need to find a Ohlins 90 rear spring before I leave in two weeks. Also need to decide if I want to jump to race tires or mount the set of Q3s I've got here. I don't have a problem with the Q3s but I am pretty cautious on them since they like to spin up and I worry about tucking the front while trail braking.

With that said, I'm getting comfortable on the bike but I need to get used to an i4 wanting to be a gear lower everywhere... that and remembering to set up passes since when I run up on someone in a corner I'm hosed with no power on the drive out. The 749 was nice because I didn't need to worry about that, same with the Tuono. Seems like the R6 stops wanting to pull a little north of 12k, is that normal? It feels dead slow but I'm not that far off power wise from new 600s judging by the straights.

Jump to race tires, mostly for the forgiveness factor if you're starting to feel cautious about your tires.

From the dyno graphs of R6s, assuming mostly stock engine internals, I'd expect it to stop pulling around 13k, with the rest just being overrev/unlocked by heavy engine work. Probably gonna wanna keep it between 9 and 13k for best drive. The sad truth is a 100hp bike isn't really fast in the scheme of trackbikes anymore, so expect to have to work a little harder.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Well, guess I'll order a set of NTEC slicks since they are ~$315 a set right now.
The Q3s are great until you start putting in clean laps back to back... then they start moving around more and more until you get a big slip. Not really something I want to risk with the riding style required of the R6. Tuono? Sure, point, shoot, be lazy.

As far as the rev range thing, I guess 13k could be right. It's just dead obvious that the bike stops pulling in that area.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Your powerband on an R6 (depending on the year, I speak of the 06-07 since that's what I own) is from 9k-14k. It's most aggressive between 9-12k, then it will settle down for a moment, and has a less aggressive second wind from ~12k-14k. You need to absolutely wring that thing's neck out.

Also, I dunno what DOTs are priced at now, but I've always preferred them to slicks. Grip is extremely similar, and you won't die if there's a light mist. And yeah, Q2s/Q3s are great, but they do start to get greasy if you're running them consistently hard, especially in the summer.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
It's an 03, so it makes more down low than the 3rd gen. I guess I am curious since I hadn't been on a 600 inline 4 in.... 5 years? It just feels so dead. z3n, ride this thing and make sure I'm not just insane.

I've found slicks last longer than DOTs and handle heat better, which is nice since I'm in Arizona. I went back to Q3s because I was hoping they'd last longer -- unfortunately, they don't, at least compared to the SBK Pros I used to use on the Ducati.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Sep 10, 2016

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

It's an 03, so it makes more down low than the 3rd gen. I guess I am curious since I hadn't been on a 600 inline 4 in.... 5 years? It just feels so dead. z3n, ride this thing and make sure I'm not just insane.

I've found slicks last longer than DOTs and handle heat better, which is nice since I'm in Arizona. I went back to Q3s because I was hoping they'd last longer -- unfortunately, they don't, at least compared to the SBK Pros I used to use on the Ducati.

Ride a motorcycle? Well if you insist!

You're fast enough that you should really be running DOTs or Slicks - the SBK Pros will last forever and if I were running a dedicated trackbike that's what I'd run.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Fuckers discontinued them :(

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

Fuckers discontinued them :(

Oh no :(

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013
Just booked level 1 CSS in two weeks' time, looking forward to it. Figured it was a good thing to get some proper tuition before doing another trackday on the VFR. It's also covered by my insurance (!) here in Sydney.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Good podcast series that applies to this thread by Ken Hill of Rickdiculous/YCRS/etc
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/ken-hill-coaching/id1078519281?mt=2

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
2003 R6
Ohlins 20mm valves up front with .95 springs, 120mm oil height but left the drat hydraulic stops in because I forgot, 13mm above triple
Ohlins YA out back with 105 Ohlins 10.7 spring, 303mm eye-to-eye with 190 GP-A rear tire
185lb rider, midpack-A pace

I'm not getting enough sag out of the rear -- 13mm. I bought a 90 Ohlins spring which is .92. I'm thinking about it now and I'm wondering if I hosed up and I should have bought a 95/.97 rear spring. Should I try and get a 95 or just give this one a shot? I'd like to get this sorted before I leave for Pahrump and Thunderhill in a week and a half.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

2003 R6
Ohlins 20mm valves up front with .95 springs, 120mm oil height but left the drat hydraulic stops in because I forgot, 13mm above triple
Ohlins YA out back with 105 Ohlins 10.7 spring, 303mm eye-to-eye with 190 GP-A rear tire
185lb rider, midpack-A pace

I'm not getting enough sag out of the rear -- 13mm. I bought a 90 Ohlins spring which is .92. I'm thinking about it now and I'm wondering if I hosed up and I should have bought a 95/.97 rear spring. Should I try and get a 95 or just give this one a shot? I'd like to get this sorted before I leave for Pahrump and Thunderhill in a week and a half.

How much preload is on the thing right now? I'd probably only go down a single spring rate.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Z3n posted:

How much preload is on the thing right now? I'd probably only go down a single spring rate.

Ah, about 15mm of installed preload. Is there a function to equate spring rate / preload change to an equivalent sag number?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

Ah, about 15mm of installed preload. Is there a function to equate spring rate / preload change to an equivalent sag number?

BlackMK4 posted:

Bare shock sitting on the bench, measuring just the spring length

Let's go back to the beginning, haha - what's your measured free sag/rider sag on the bike? There's no calculator but you could use racetechs calculator or call them to try and get a range.

• Locked thread