Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

tfw you sit down on that cold winter toilet seat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

this me with beer shits after eating extra spicy wings the night before

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

The Doomsday Machine owns. It's over-the-top in a fun way.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

It's also a great way to introduce someone to original flavor Trek.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

That's nothing compared to the episode (Dagger of the Mind) where a famous space psychiatrist uses a pain-probe to turn one of his employees into a star rating mad lunatic who experiences agonizing pain if he tries to remember who he is.

Later the probe is turned on Kirk to make him hot for a Med crewmate whom he hosed at last year's Christmas party.

Why yes we can radically alter your thought processes with a machine. Silly captain Kirk, this is just a standard StarFleet medical tool found on more advanced treatment centers!

Point of order: Kirk didn't gently caress her at the Christmas party. They just talked and looked at the stars. Then she tells him that they actually did do the dirty deed as part of her "test" of the machine, because medical ethics, what's that? Of course, testing the machine when there are only two of you down there and everyone else in the facility is a suspect is pretty dumb, as evidenced by when evil doctor dude knocks her out and turns up the machine so Kirk is in luuurve with her.

A dumb episode, but almost saved by completely rampant scenery chewing.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I like the episode because it has Kirk actually dealing with a messy workplace relationship instead of just loving and leaving. Of course it's all forgotten the next week, but what can you do.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
McCoy is in prime rear end in a top hat mode because he knows Kirk's history with her and how uncomfortable he'll be throughout the whole ordeal.

Makes the setup to the episode entirely funny in that "buddy that fucks with you" kind of way.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

From a couple pages, back:

"Write NOW! Write NBC!!!!!!!!!!!! Write ABC!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FOR GOD'S SAKE DON'T BOTHER WITH CBS!"

:laugh:

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Astroman posted:

From a couple pages, back:

"Write NOW! Write NBC!!!!!!!!!!!! Write ABC!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FOR GOD'S SAKE DON'T BOTHER WITH CBS!"

:laugh:
Heh.

I also like how they sold everything. If it wasn't bolted down, sell it! Roddenberry invented fan merchandising.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

I've been going through the TOS Blu-rays, and Squire of Gothos is really a great episode. TOS's style really lends itself well to these larger-than-life characters (see also, Khan). I can easily see this inspiring the creation of Q.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Huh. I had thought it was an urban legend that Bones never actually "He's dead, Jim" verbatim, only variations on it. But I'm watching Wolf in the Fold right now and he's said twice in the first-half-hour.

I mean I know "Beam me up, Scotty" never occurs word-for-word, but I guess the Bones one does.

Brick Card
Oct 12, 2008

Better by far you should forget and smile than that you should remember and be sad.
This renewed interest is Star Trek because of the 50th Anniversary is tripping me out. I'm seeing billboards, tie-ins, at the mall MAC Cosmetics even had a stage set up with a guy dressed like spoke talking about make-up :confused:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Actually, the 50th got me thinking about my childhood. I would have been in the 7-9 age range when the 25th Anniversary came out, which would explain a bit how it was on marathons for Thanksgiving and on syndication Saturdays and whatnot. I had an older cousin that was into it and it kind of filtered down to me, leading to the PC game, TNG, and the films.

If I had missed out on that wave, I probably wouldn't have been into Trek until my late teens or something.

The resurgence for the old stuff is kind of weird, but there's a long tail to this stuff that'll be interesting to watch play out.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Data Graham posted:

Huh. I had thought it was an urban legend that Bones never actually "He's dead, Jim" verbatim, only variations on it. But I'm watching Wolf in the Fold right now and he's said twice in the first-half-hour.

I mean I know "Beam me up, Scotty" never occurs word-for-word, but I guess the Bones one does.

Similarly "It's life, Jim, but not as we know it" is from

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCARADb9asE

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Similarly "It's life, Jim, but not as we know it" is from

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCARADb9asE

Me mother who can't stand star trek or any science fiction really knew that Klingons were in Star Trek and were on the starboard bow thanks to this song. Its impressive when a song can influence popular culture like that. Especially a song about attached to this popular culture franchise.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

FilthyImp posted:

If I had missed out on that wave, I probably wouldn't have been into Trek until my late teens or something.

The resurgence for the old stuff is kind of weird, but there's a long tail to this stuff that'll be interesting to watch play out.
A lot of boomers (like my dad) are still kicking around and getting weepy. A side note, he's gotten more wistful and sentimental in general in the past few years so the 50th anniversary has really turned on the waterworks.

Also, new show coming out, another movie recently, so we're in a marketing push more generally. That's my guess.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Sep 11, 2016

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Inbetween college football and UFC 203 last night, I managed to watch City on the Edge of Forever, The Doomsday Machine, Mirror, Mirror and Amok Time yesterday.

I hadn't seen any of the HD remastered stuff before; they really did an exceptional job with it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Gonz posted:

Inbetween college football and UFC 203 last night, I managed to watch City on the Edge of Forever, The Doomsday Machine, Mirror, Mirror and Amok Time yesterday.

I hadn't seen any of the HD remastered stuff before; they really did an exceptional job with it.

The quality of the job really varies a lot between episodes, unfortunately.

The TNG HD remaster is an order of magnitude more impressive, though. It's astonishing.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Wikkheiser posted:

I also like how they sold everything. If it wasn't bolted down, sell it! Roddenberry invented fan merchandising.

IIRC, Roddenberry literally stole stuff from the studio.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

The 50th anniversary is a bigger deal, but it'll be interesting to see what we get for some of the other milestones coming up. TNG's 30th anniversary is next year, DS9 turns 25 the year after that (maybe we'll finally get that remaster :allears:), the animated series also turns 45 in '08, and there's probably a few movies and other things with arbitrary time markers coming up as well.

It's pretty likely we'll see some sort of knowing TNG winks or even cast cameos in the new series next year, but whether DS9 (or any of the other series, for that matter) will get proper acknowledgements is less certain.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Brick Card posted:

This renewed interest is Star Trek because of the 50th Anniversary is tripping me out. I'm seeing billboards, tie-ins, at the mall MAC Cosmetics even had a stage set up with a guy dressed like spoke talking about make-up :confused:

That's just normal marketing money tie in for Beyond.

Nether CBS nor Paramount have really gotten off their fat rear end to do anything much special for the 50th.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

With Beyond underperforming, I think they just think of it as a dying asset not worth bothering to waste a celebration on. They've forgotten the cultural momentum it carries.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

MikeJF posted:

With Beyond underperforming, I think they just think of it as a dying asset not worth bothering to waste a celebration on. They've forgotten the cultural momentum it carries.

Was aware of and squandered said momentum, really.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

MikeJF posted:

Well, they would have had to have things planned for the 50th long before they would have known the box office returns for Beyond.

With the actual 50th being on a Thursday, it was really poor planning on their part to not premier the movie on Sept 8th. They could have built it into an event. Instead, they let it pass and only BBC-A was celebrating it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Beyond underperformed in the US but made bank overseas.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

GreenNight posted:

Beyond underperformed in the US but made bank overseas.

No, it hasn't. It's underperforming ID by $100 million.

Now, it did only open in China last week, but it would take a SIGNIFICANT leap in China box office results for it to make up the gap now.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Why compare it to ID? It's already been profitable so anything it makes from China is just icing

http://screenrant.com/star-trek-beyond-box-office-success-failure/

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Trek should have taken a leaf out of Doctor Who's book when they did their 50th. The big special episode, various ancillary smaller episodes bringing back old Doctors, documentaries, etc etc. :smug:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

GreenNight posted:

Why compare it to ID? It's already been profitable so anything it makes from China is just icing

http://screenrant.com/star-trek-beyond-box-office-success-failure/

You can't compare box office results to budget and say if one number is greater to the other is profitable. The article you linked says as much. We can't know for sure because all the accounting isn't public, but it might need to make as much as $370m globally to break even and it hasn't done so yet and might not.

Also, how it performs in China is vitally important since it has investment from two Chinese media companies. It it doesn't do well enough in China, they may not be on board for the 4th and a significant chunk of investment capital disappears.

The 4th movie, if it doesn't get mothballed, might be working with $5 and the change they find in a shuttle.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
When the Federation comes around
You must whip it

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
A reduced budget might force them to write a Star Trek movie instead of around the expensive CGI action set pieces

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
I'm pretty sure the earliest "He's dead, Jim" verbatim is in The Enemy Within with regards to the dog they stapled horns to. He declares a crewman dead in the Man Trap, but I don't think it was verbatim.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Tighclops posted:

A reduced budget might force them to write a Star Trek movie instead of around the expensive CGI action set pieces

Yeah, I actually won't be too upset if they have a massively slashed budget for the 4th movie.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

MikeJF posted:

The quality of the job really varies a lot between episodes, unfortunately.

The TNG HD remaster is an order of magnitude more impressive, though. It's astonishing.

I disagree, since the TOS remastered sequences actually do interesting things with the Enterprise in terms of new angles and shots so it doesn't feel like the same 12 stock shots over and over. It also allowed for the ship to actually move like a star ship should in certain scenes. However, it was rather limited due to how short many of those scenes were and they couldn't interfere with the original run time. TNG was just the exact same stuff but looked a little more fancy, they didn't even try to experiment with new shots or ways of making the ship seem more real in how it maneuvers.

Both are nice to look at though.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I'm actually really glad they stuck to the original VFX where possible in TNG because as much as I would sometimes like to see the stock footage punched up a bit, I wouldn't want to lose the memorable VFX shots (like the escape from the dyson sphere, for example) to a CG Enterprise D doing barrel rolls or whatever the gently caress they'd make her do now if they could

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

My favorite bit in the remaster is the wide shot of the arena in Amok Time.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Tighclops posted:

I'm actually really glad they stuck to the original VFX where possible in TNG because as much as I would sometimes like to see the stock footage punched up a bit, I wouldn't want to lose the memorable VFX shots (like the escape from the dyson sphere, for example) to a CG Enterprise D doing barrel rolls or whatever the gently caress they'd make her do now if they could

Why would the Enterprise have done barrel rolls? I doubt they would have changed the memorable shots anyway since those are the few times its shot at a cool non-stock angle or doing something cool. When comparing the two remasters TOS pops more because they did more with the Enterprise (which is primarily where the remastered effects come into play) than tng which is the same 20 year old show with just a new coat of paint. This isn't a bad thing by any means, just not as fun after seeing how the original series mixed things up.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Reading that 50 years of Star Trek part 1 book, it's interesting to know that WOK cost like 1/4th of what TMP cost. I agree with some of the comments by various people involved with the franchise that it seems like the films are generally better when the budget is more tight and they have to focus on the story. Granted now that's probably no longer an option with how the film industry is.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Didn't they lump the Phase II development costs in with TMP and that's why it cost so much?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."

FlamingLiberal posted:

Reading that 50 years of Star Trek part 1 book, it's interesting to know that WOK cost like 1/4th of what TMP cost. I agree with some of the comments by various people involved with the franchise that it seems like the films are generally better when the budget is more tight and they have to focus on the story. Granted now that's probably no longer an option with how the film industry is.

It worked for Deadpool with a budget of 58 million. Ryan Reynolds wanted to have Cable and everything in it but the budget was too small for all that.