Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Finally went full-feminism, for the first time: full women status & absolute cognatic

And found that absolute cognatic has some dangers: your landed sons & daughters will marry their daughters in regular marriages and then with just a little bad luck you can end up with a heir already married into one.

That just happened to me: black plague took all my heirs at once and Im left with this this distant niece who already got a regular marriage with some idiot. Fortunately, they havent bred yet, so I just have to make sure they dont

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Kalenden posted:

So, does anybody know when Crusader Kings will be somewhat stable/feature complete? Everytime I'm itching to start it up, there is a patch/expansion announcement that makes me wait. I know I should just do it, but still, like to wait till its more-or-less 'done'.
I ran a modded CK2 LP over the course of a year without ever bothering to freeze the game version, and the only real noticeable bug that popped up over that time was due to a second mod I slapped part of the way through. The only time a savegame'll get really hosed up with a new patch is when extra provs are added, and the last time that happened was a while ago now.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.
So if I'm the King of Eire, and I've taken over about 70% of Scotland's de jure lands but the Kingdom of Scotland still exists, if I usurp the Kingdom of Scotland (Alba) will it come over with the lovely elective laws or will my primary (Eire) title's election laws (Tanistry, which I vastly prefer,) overwrite them so I have the same method of determining the heir for both kingdoms? I'm just trying to avoid the realm splitting. I can always just continue to gobble up Scotland until I have absolutely everything and then just re-create the title when the last Scottish lord falls, right?

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

prussian advisor posted:

So if I'm the King of Eire, and I've taken over about 70% of Scotland's de jure lands but the Kingdom of Scotland still exists, if I usurp the Kingdom of Scotland (Alba) will it come over with the lovely elective laws or will my primary (Eire) title's election laws (Tanistry, which I vastly prefer,) overwrite them so I have the same method of determining the heir for both kingdoms? I'm just trying to avoid the realm splitting. I can always just continue to gobble up Scotland until I have absolutely everything and then just re-create the title when the last Scottish lord falls, right?

Yeah I'd you usurp it will keep the succession laws, but if you recreate the title it will have your laws.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Parallax Scroll posted:

I'm fairly new to mods but so far I use:

Heir Traits - Adds a trait icon to a character indicating if they are the heir to a title, and the rank of that title. So when scrolling down a list of characters you can see which ones are for example the heir to a duchy.
Invitation Traits - Adds a trait icon that's supposed to indicate if someone is likely to accept invitations to court. It's not especially accurate, but it can help a bit with skimming character lists.
Better Looking Garbs - Portrait mod. Makes the characters look different and I'm still getting used to it.
Patrum Scuta - Adds more and better looking coats of arms to the game. Looks great.

None of these modify any of the actual gameplay, but those first two mods aren't Ironman compatible I guess since they add new character traits.

The invitation one is now built into the find character functionality as of Reaper's Due patch, fyi

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Allyn posted:

The invitation one is now built into the find character functionality as of Reaper's Due patch, fyi

Though they could add the "will accept if bribed" icon from plots.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Allyn posted:

Is there something that can be typed in the search bar that will just show positives?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

genericnick posted:

Though they could add the "will accept if bribed" icon from plots.

Pfox posted:

Is there something that can be typed in the search bar that will just show positives?

These two things would be nice additions. Though yeah, that feature is in the game now.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Roland Jones posted:

These two things would be nice additions. Though yeah, that feature is in the game now.

The mod lets me type "accept" in the search box to only show the thumbs-up characters. I'll keep using it for now.

Regarding upgrade stability, I just upgraded from the pre-Conclave game version to the very latest and the only weird thing that I've noticed on my save so far is that I went from having huge "vassal levies raised too long" penalties to having them all reset back to zero.

a shiny rock fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Sep 10, 2016

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
loving AI doge just straight up took my best silk road trade post with no plots or anything, what a loving dumb mechanic. Wouldn't mind if I could do the same when I was in charge.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fellblade posted:

loving AI doge just straight up took my best silk road trade post with no plots or anything, what a loving dumb mechanic. Wouldn't mind if I could do the same when I was in charge.

If the Silk Road post is in territory that follows the Doge title, then you will. Silk Road trade posts are weird - even as a merchant republic you will lose ownership of them if you lose ownership of the county.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Roland Jones posted:

Since we are requesting UI features. Why not change the minor titles/commander tab to use tabs instead of toggles? There is never a situation you want to look at neither of those.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Automated Commander assignment would be nice since very rarely do I do anything but assign the guys with the highest Martial who aren't craven.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

The Cheshire Cat posted:

If the Silk Road post is in territory that follows the Doge title, then you will. Silk Road trade posts are weird - even as a merchant republic you will lose ownership of them if you lose ownership of the county.

I still had the county, it didn't follow the Doge title because I wasn't doge when I took it in the first place.

It was an event pop up that just said lol sux2bu mine now.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Fellblade posted:

I still had the county, it didn't follow the Doge title because I wasn't doge when I took it in the first place.

It was an event pop up that just said lol sux2bu mine now.

IIRC, that's a thing the Doge can do, but I think it's related to having less trade posts than somebody else and/or being under the limit, and when the gently caress is the player going to have less trade posts than somebody else and/or be under the limit?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh, on a tangent from an earlier topic, in my new Zoro game, despite being Iranian culture (Sogdian specifically, but the wiki says all Iranian cultures use dynasty names for realm titles) my land is currently called "Khiva" rather than my dynasty name on the map. Is this because I usurped the title from someone else as my first ducal-level title, because I started as a count, or something else (like the wiki being wrong maybe)? It's unusual, though I don't mind since I prefer to have my own realms not use dynasty names anyway.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Is there an easy way to see what all my valid casus bellis are? Normally I would just click on another country's ruler, click Declare War, then see what options are listed. But since I'm currently in another war I already have levies raised, and so Declare War is grayed out. I need to give out some counties and I could use an easy way to see which guys I might want to land for future expansion.

Edit: I found a claims page in the ledger. I guess that's my best tool.

a shiny rock fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Sep 10, 2016

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Parallax Scroll posted:

Is there an easy way to see what all my valid casus bellis are? Normally I would just click on another country's ruler, click Declare War, then see what options are listed. But since I'm currently in another war I already have levies raised, and so Declare War is grayed out. I need to give out some counties and I could use an easy way to see which guys I might want to land for future expansion.

Edit: I found a claims page in the ledger. I guess that's my best tool.

Diplomatic relations map mode

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Roland Jones posted:

Oh, on a tangent from an earlier topic, in my new Zoro game, despite being Iranian culture (Sogdian specifically, but the wiki says all Iranian cultures use dynasty names for realm titles) my land is currently called "Khiva" rather than my dynasty name on the map. Is this because I usurped the title from someone else as my first ducal-level title, because I started as a count, or something else (like the wiki being wrong maybe)? It's unusual, though I don't mind since I prefer to have my own realms not use dynasty names anyway.

Does your dynasty control another independent realm on the map? When there's more than one realm controlled by the same family from a culture that uses dynasty names as realm names, only the largest will use the dynasty name.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Does your dynasty control another independent realm on the map? When there's more than one realm controlled by the same family from a culture that uses dynasty names as realm names, only the largest will use the dynasty name.

Nope, I'm the only one. Started as a vassal count of the Bajanids.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

I think my new favorite thing to do is give all the initial kings in the 1066 December start immortality. You get some crazy rivalries going, and when you kill one in combat it's just so satisfying. And when they do die the realm the led blows apart so violently you get almost no stable states due to how many claimants everyone has.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Lol if you try to grab land from Revolts.

Is it even possible?

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Parallax Scroll posted:

Is it even possible?

Sure you just have to do it really really quickly, like single province revolt that you can storm down quickly

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Okay, figured it out: The wiki is definitely wrong regarding Sogdian realm names. I went and made the shahdom of Khiva, and it was named "Sogdiana". Interesting. Also neat. I wonder if they get other custom kingdom names of Khiva (which is about where Sogdiana was) is the only one. I'll try to find out, I suppose.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

So I died trying to turn immortal and the event text said I was reincarnated. However that appears to have done nothing? Is that it?

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Roland Jones posted:

Okay, figured it out: The wiki is definitely wrong regarding Sogdian realm names. I went and made the shahdom of Khiva, and it was named "Sogdiana". Interesting. Also neat. I wonder if they get other custom kingdom names of Khiva (which is about where Sogdiana was) is the only one. I'll try to find out, I suppose.
Appears to be the only one looking thru the list of kingdoms and alternate names on the wiki

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

genericnick posted:

So I died trying to turn immortal and the event text said I was reincarnated. However that appears to have done nothing? Is that it?

I've had that event a couple of times and the child I'm supposed to reincarnate into is immediately cleansed by the court cleaner and I instead take control over the expected heir. Maybe it's because I have elective inheritance..?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Chickpea Roar posted:

I've had that event a couple of times and the child I'm supposed to reincarnate into is immediately cleansed by the court cleaner and I instead take control over the expected heir. Maybe it's because I have elective inheritance..?

Well I had Ultimogeniture. It might really be the court cleanser however I think it gave me the correct name of my heir when it said I'd been reincarnated.

Edit: However there is a child with my old personality traits at court.

genericnick fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Sep 11, 2016

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

I forget what happens in this situation - I've got a vassal count who is also the heir to a county outside my realm. Will that expand or shrink my realm when he inherits it?

The existing count who will pass that foreign county on is the vassal of a duke who is in turn the vassal of a king, if that matters. And I'm a king.

Edit: Also the foreign county that will be inherited is not in my de jure kingdom but it is adjacent to it.

And none of these people involved are in my dynasty. I don't remember whether any of these details matter.

a shiny rock fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Sep 11, 2016

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I think because he's landed and inheriting he'll stay under you unless it's an equivalent rank title he gets.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Buschmaki posted:

I think because he's landed and inheriting he'll stay under you unless it's an equivalent rank title he gets.

It's equivalent to his existing title - he'll go from having 1 county to having 2 counties. If you meant equivalent to me, then no problem since I outrank him.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Buschmaki posted:

Higher rank. If your vassal count inherits a county, he just gets another county and stays your vassal. If he inherits the Duchy of East Bumfuck, he becomes the Duke of East Bumfuck, with the independence or liege that goes with it.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

darthbob88 posted:

Higher rank. If your vassal count inherits a county, he just gets another county and stays your vassal. If he inherits the Duchy of East Bumfuck, he becomes the Duke of East Bumfuck, with the independence or liege that goes with it.

Awesome, thanks for clearing that up. So all I gotta do is kill that other guy and nab myself a bigger realm.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I have officially lost more rulers to loving than anything else. Two immortals, too.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

When I reinforce during a battle, does it matter what commanders are on the incoming army? Or are the 3 guys who started commanding that battle the only ones that matter?

Similarly, do the reinforcements get penalties for stuff like making a river crossing if the original army did not?

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

He said that he would stay forever.

Forever wasn't very long...

I wonder what went through the mind of King Chiko VIII. Took over the throne as a young child, fought off a civil war (which is a rite of passage at this point), turned all of his neighbors into tributaries, lived long enough to introduce his heir (something his father and grandfather didn't live long enough to do). He and his family even survived through the black plague. As soon as he re-opens the gates, bam! Cancer. Dead at age 30.

Picard Day
Dec 18, 2004

Asked Innkeeper: "God, did you hear about King Chiko VIII?"
Innkeeper: "No"
Me: "Died. Cancer."
Thought he would cry.

Decided to try out a tribal game for the first time at long last (Catholic) . Is there a particular action I should assign my court Chaplain to do to trigger the Church Building event or does it just fire randomly?

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Picard Day posted:

Asked Innkeeper: "God, did you hear about King Chiko VIII?"
Innkeeper: "No"
Me: "Died. Cancer."
Thought he would cry.

Decided to try out a tribal game for the first time at long last (Catholic) . Is there a particular action I should assign my court Chaplain to do to trigger the Church Building event or does it just fire randomly?

prank him

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Chickpea Roar posted:

You're not meant to play as the babby, it's a fail state where you technically gain another lifetime but lose everything else and have to go through childhood again. However, your reincarnation should not be pruned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I like that the child has no parents and exists as a stand alone new branch of the family. He literally just phases into being, no birth no nothing.

• Locked thread