Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

Hixson posted:

What did the TS dude do for rules?

Same as me. Army-wide stubborn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

tallkidwithglasses posted:

It's cool seeing some White Scars in the wild, I feel like they're the least represented legion.

At my club we have WS, AL, SW, TS, EC, BA, Mech, and sallys

Here's a better battlereport. http://www.powerfist.dk/forum/index.php?topic=95553.msg1296256#msg1296256

DJ Dizzy fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Sep 9, 2016

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Does anyone have suggestions for a Magos/Archmagos build for a Traitor Death Guard allied Mechanicum detachment? Open to fluffy and gamey ideas alike. I've never really waded into Mechanicum stuff so I'm a bit at a loss with what to kit it out with.

After seeing the Secutarii kit, I just know I want some of those mechanical mans next to my muscle mans on the field.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Hmm, what exactly would you like to add?

If you specifically want the secutarii I'd say you should hold off, because they don't actually have rules for 30k yet. And when they do they might end up having additional restrictions because of their nature (they are their own separate order).

Otherwise 30k mechanicum offers three distinct things: actual robots, weird artillery, and various flavors of weird troops (cheap horde blobs, fast jet packs, etc.). Do you have a preference?

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

One of the deadliest combos I have come up with is a magos prime with ordinator, jet pack and photon thruster, in a unit of 6 thallax with the destructor upgrade and 2 thrusters. Bossman gets 2 Str6 Ap2 shots with tank hunter and armourbane. :getin:

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Mango Polo posted:

Hmm, what exactly would you like to add?

If you specifically want the secutarii I'd say you should hold off, because they don't actually have rules for 30k yet. And when they do they might end up having additional restrictions because of their nature (they are their own separate order).

Otherwise 30k mechanicum offers three distinct things: actual robots, weird artillery, and various flavors of weird troops (cheap horde blobs, fast jet packs, etc.). Do you have a preference?

I guess something with a jet pack, as I had a vision of putting a jet pack on a Sicarian when I bought the kit for them last night. I think I'd lean actual robots or weird troops, as the arty and plodding heavy weapons are pretty well-handled by the DG proper.

And yeah, I figure the Secutarii might be restricted in 30k, but I love the standard Skitarii kit and think the Peltast upgrade set is too cool to pass up.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

BULBASAUR posted:

Assault Marines are probably the best troops choice you get without a ROW. Tacticals once had a niche as the cheapest troops choice, but now they're barely cheaper than assault marines which can move faster, take melee weapons, and get combat shields with no drawbacks compared to breachers. Breachers are the worst troops choice outside of scout squads- super expensive, super niche (people make the ZM argument all the time, but in reality 90% of games are not ZM so it's a very weak argument), and get no extra attacks in melee. When it comes to ROW troops choices, vets are kings of poo poo mountain. They're stupid good for the cost and FW kinda screwed the pooch by making them better than all the other options. Next up are terminators- cheaper and everything breachers wanted to be. You also get two flavours one that's as fast as infantry and another that's tough and slow. Both have combi weapons and power axes.

I like tactical squads, but in the new meta they are worse than before despite the points drop. They need a buff- like allowing fury of the legion after moving. Some legions can pull them off still- world eaters are scary in melee, iron hands are cheap yet really tough, word bearers and iron warriors will never run away. My personal belif is to either go all in or buy them for their rhinos. Three rhinos with MM and combi meltas inside is cheap and pretty effective. 40-60 warm bodies with FNP is totally counter to the meta in some places and can really surprise people. Outside of this, the only nice thing about tacticals is that they can take a drop pod in orbital assault lists to help you with your drop pod quota. Anyways thanks for reading my opinions about space barbie dolls.

I have so many WE tacs assembled but not yet painted. I don't like the idea of having to model up assault squads. I'll probably keep doing what I'm doing with the 40 despoilers (20 w/ kharn and 20 as inductii w/ the doc).

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

GreenMarine posted:

I have so many WE tacs assembled but not yet painted. I don't like the idea of having to model up assault squads. I'll probably keep doing what I'm doing with the 40 despoilers (20 w/ kharn and 20 as inductii w/ the doc).

Get a spartan or two and make us all weep.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

tallkidwithglasses posted:

Get a spartan or two and make us all weep.

I've seriously considered it.

Problem is that I want to put way more in my list than I can afford.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Tacticals are fine. Model your poo poo for fluff. 30k isn't about minmaxing

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Lord Twisted posted:

Truth. 30k games look amazing with giant blobs of tacs using fury of the legion.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Adventures in 30k:

Guy who runs our 30k campaign is convincing our salamanders players to not give his praetor EW, because it's "too good". This guy runs eidolon.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
shove eidolon up his rear end imo

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

He also doesnt think that -1 to charge range and sweeping rolls is a bad detriment.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
The simplest solution to a salamanders character with EW is shoot the fucker to death before you even worry about not being able to ID him in melee.
Why do people have to be so disappointing. Have fun with your mans and stop putting dumb restrictions on things.

Hencoe fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Sep 11, 2016

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
No, you don't understand, he's just trying to forge his narrative. It just so happens that his narrative is the one where he wins all the time.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Safety Factor posted:

No, you don't understand, he's just trying to forge his narrative. It just so happens that his narrative is the one where he wins all the time.

"My fluff is that I win"

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Are jump packs good in 30k? I've been thinking about combining the Calth box with the new Death Company box that's coming out for some Blood Angels ever since SRM sang his siren song at Nova.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Do any of you nerds take fortifications with your 30k armies? I keep passing over them but just realised that an AV 14 bunker that 8 dudes can shoot out of for only 55 points seems like a nice way to keep a HSS and attached character alive.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Are jump packs good in 30k? I've been thinking about combining the Calth box with the new Death Company box that's coming out for some Blood Angels ever since SRM sang his siren song at Nova.

They were horribly overpriced before but with the latest red book the consensus seems to be "sure ok." They can be pretty great if you have a legion that likes running up and stabbing things to death. If you're thinking blood angels specifically they get a rite that offers a bunch of turn 1 deep striking for your assault mareens so you'll probably want lots of jump guys anyway.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I plan to put my havocs in a bunker eventually. Stack that IW character ontop and you can enjoy AV15 and BS6 havocs to boot. 8 tank hunting lascannon shots that re roll hits and subtract from cover saves is pretty solid. What stops me from getting too excited is that it's a bunker. IMO the fortifications kinda feel out of place in most games. Like two armies maneuver to attack each other and your side brought a giant crane and used it to plop down a giant prefab bunker? Ehhh. The BRB rules for bunkers taking hits is also kinda worse than tanks IMO, but I do want to try it out eventually.

Lord Twisted posted:

Wisdom

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

I don't know why I do this to myself, but they are so drat cool.

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007

BULBASAUR posted:

I plan to put my havocs in a bunker eventually. Stack that IW character ontop and you can enjoy AV15 and BS6 havocs to boot. 8 tank hunting lascannon shots that re roll hits and subtract from cover saves is pretty solid. What stops me from getting too excited is that it's a bunker. IMO the fortifications kinda feel out of place in most games. Like two armies maneuver to attack each other and your side brought a giant crane and used it to plop down a giant prefab bunker? Ehhh. The BRB rules for bunkers taking hits is also kinda worse than tanks IMO, but I do want to try it out eventually.

Wisdom

In the BL books they talk about interlocking rhinos and whatnot. You are a cunning artificer, could you create somethin made from rhinos other vehicles to make it a mobile fortress?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
The IW unique rhino you're talking about stands to be either one of the absolute best or worst special units whenever they get around to making it. An improved uparmoured rhino, or one with more fire ports, would be really strong if it was still pretty cheap. If they just give it extra armor for free and +1AV if more than two rhinos are touching for 75 points each... well... then Hencoe will buy 5 of them. At least they'll look rad as hell though.

There's also that old open topped Rhino chassis that they're bound to bring back. The rhino advancer I think? I think that one would be really popular too.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

Hencoe posted:

I don't know why I do this to myself, but they are so drat cool.

Sick as gently caress.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
I had never heard of this thing before. WOLF PARTY

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

GreenMarine posted:

I had never heard of this thing before. WOLF PARTY

Yeah me neither; I guess I missed the one reference to it in Know No Fear.

I got to bust out my bits box and go to town making a cool squad of blinged out Tactical Veterans for my Ultras:

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

SRM posted:

Yeah me neither; I guess I missed the one reference to it in Know No Fear.

I got to bust out my bits box and go to town making a cool squad of blinged out Tactical Veterans for my Ultras:

You're an absurd ultramarines painting factory.

krursk
Sep 11, 2001

Your anguish sustains me.

adamantium|wang posted:

Do any of you nerds take fortifications with your 30k armies? I keep passing over them but just realised that an AV 14 bunker that 8 dudes can shoot out of for only 55 points seems like a nice way to keep a HSS and attached character alive.

I almost always take them. I can set up my own defences and firing lines without having to rely on there being an abundance of decent terrain or the local net-listing douche-hams refusing to play with more then two ruins and a crater on the table. As mentioned previously a bunker with an ammo crate and 8 tank hunting lascannons is brutal, stick your artillery behind it and drink tears. A sky-shield with a death-star filled assault ram deployed on it turn 1 is just fun on the bun.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Every time I think I'm powering along with my Iron Warriors, SRM posts his Ultras and I realize he's operating on like Flash levels of speed.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

The joys of being unemployed.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

"Funemployed."

krursk
Sep 11, 2001

Your anguish sustains me.

DJ Dizzy posted:

The joys of being unemployed.

Pfft. Just neglect your wife and children.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
SRM has just figured out how to run his life in parallel instead of serial and it will be a great tragedy when all 8 of him die at 35 :(

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I'm actually starting to get salty about no models for Tyrants. I held off as long as I could to do my havocs. Now I'm finally getting around to considering terminators and, 3+ years later, FW still hasn't done poo poo.

I'll probably end up using grave wardens and deathshroud as a base for some conversions, but I know they'll release them eventually, and it'll just make me more pissed that I spent 100+ hours on models that don't look as cool as whatever FW releases.

I'm mad. Mad about resin barbies.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
You're IV Legion. You knew what you were getting into.

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time.
That's understandable - I'm still e-mad that there are no Rhino or Land Raider doors for Sons of Horus.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Zhent posted:

That's understandable - I'm still e-mad that there are no Rhino or Land Raider doors for Sons of Horus.

Me too. I went with brass etch on my Phobos but I'll be goddamned if I do that for a Spartan.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

BULBASAUR posted:

I'm actually starting to get salty about no models for Tyrants. I held off as long as I could to do my havocs. Now I'm finally getting around to considering terminators and, 3+ years later, FW still hasn't done poo poo.

I'll probably end up using grave wardens and deathshroud as a base for some conversions, but I know they'll release them eventually, and it'll just make me more pissed that I spent 100+ hours on models that don't look as cool as whatever FW releases.

I'm mad. Mad about resin barbies.

What are you going to use for the missile racks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

adamantium|wang posted:

SRM has just figured out how to run his life in parallel instead of serial and it will be a great tragedy when all 8 of him die at 35 :(

#6 is a dick, 2-5 are alright, I don't really talk to 7 or 8.

DJ Dizzy posted:

The joys of being unemployed working from home.
When I actually was unemployed like 5 years ago I barely painted at all because I was bummed all the time; painting's just how I relax and I like relaxing while feeling productive :)