Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

NihilCredo posted:

I use one of these:

http://www.allsop.com/mousepads-and-wrist-rests/wrist-assist-black-/

They're great because unlie most wrist pads, they slide with your arm, they're not fixed in place.

That's really nice, thanks for posting it. I'm going to pick one up soon. I've got an ancient mouse wrist rest that I need to use that stays put unless I'm playing FPSes, maybe the allsop will be usable for everything!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
If you have carpal tunnel or RSI, you should consider getting a trackball. I wouldn't start out with an M570 or similar - the ones with a large ball in the center are far more ergonomic.

Here's what I use, and it's very comfortable - zero fatigue even after hours of use.

For scale, the ball itself is the size of a standard billiards ball - 2.25'' or 57mm.

It's the CST L-Trac. Kensington Slimblade or Expert Mouse and CH DT225 are other good fingerballs.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

How is a track ball in fps?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Massasoit posted:

How is a track ball in fps?

It depends on the trackball. Mine goes up to 1600DPI, which is similar to mid-low sensitivity on most mice. The discontinued L-Trac X had a 3200DPI sensor, which was apparently very good for gaming.

Because of the fact that it uses a rotating ball, it isn't like using a mouse - you never run out of space, so in games where you're turning a lot (more shooters than you might realize) you can track people extremely well. I can do 90 and 180 degree turns without overshooting or undershooting, I can snipe (the cursor doesn't move at all when you click because the buttons are big paddles you can hit with your thumb or the entire side of your hand, so you don't even need to touch the ball while you click if you have your surprise shot really lined up), and I can shoot people adequately. I don't compete in CS:GO or anything, but it's fine with every game I've used it with.

There is an adjustment period, but I got used to it pretty quickly. The first few hours were disorienting, but after a few days I was almost up to snuff, and it was a few weeks before I was at 100%.

If you need more buttons than three, the 5W model of the L-Trac will work. You can hook up additional buttons, up to two. They sell button assemblies now but you can use whatever; I've seen some people put together a lego enclosure for a microswitch and keyboard key, if you're the DIY type.

I'd love a vacuum-formed or 3D printed button enclosure that mounts onto the side 'rails' and adds a second large button to each side. Tilt it upward a little bit so it's easier to hit, and it'd be the perfect accessory. I don't think the market is big enough to support that, though.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Rexxed posted:

That's really nice, thanks for posting it. I'm going to pick one up soon. I've got an ancient mouse wrist rest that I need to use that stays put unless I'm playing FPSes, maybe the allsop will be usable for everything!

:nws:What about one of these?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Finally, a waifu for the wrist.

eames
May 9, 2009

I contacted Logitech Support a month ago regarding an issue with my G502 and received no response at all. Looking at this topic and some google results this seems to be their normal behavior now. I was a fan of the brand but wouldn't recommend them to anybody, let alone buy another product from them.

Backyarr
Jun 6, 2006
There's a pirate in your backyard!

Fallen Rib

eames posted:

I contacted Logitech Support a month ago regarding an issue with my G502 and received no response at all. Looking at this topic and some google results this seems to be their normal behavior now. I was a fan of the brand but wouldn't recommend them to anybody, let alone buy another product from them.

Yeah, sadly, Logitech support has went to poo poo in the last couple of years. If you want them to respond, you'll basically have to make a fuss on social networks (Facebook, the r/LogitechG subreddit, etc.). Or, if you're in the US, call the phone number instead of trying to deal with the problem over the net.
They still make hardware I can't find a replacement for and it's the only reason I continue to buy their products in spite of the poo poo support.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Counterpoint, logitech support is still as fast and helpful as always. They bent over backwards to fix and/or replace a g700 (replaced with a g700s!), a g602 and a g930 complete with prepaid return shipping labels, same-day email response (after an initial wait period of a few days). My case agent also checked in with me after the fact. That part is uniquely rare, I know, but the rest is par for the course with my experience with Logitech.

Goo shipped me replacement feet in the mail, once :h:

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015
Any recommendations for a solid FPS mouse? I'm playing Overwatch w/ ~14"/360, if that matters. Usually use claw grip, in part because my hands are huge so I can't really fit a mouse in my palm.

I've used the Steelseries Sensei for years, but wanted to try out something new. I've heard good things about the Zowie FK1.

Basically would like something:
- Good for FPS games
- Not super heavy
- Larger side
- Either ambi or for right handed (might prefer to try something right handed, since I've used ambi for so long)

Any recommendations?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Any of the Zowie's should be good. You can also look at the ZA11 or EC2-A as well, see what you like best. The main downside to Zowie's stuff is the lack of customization, you get 3 fixed DPI settings and that's it.
I've heard the FK1 had sensor issues related to build quality in the past but I'm not sure if that's an issue that was fixed or not?

You might also want to keep your eyes on Logitech's new G403, which will be available in either Wired (87g) or Wireless (107). It's not out yet but it will probably be a pretty solid option when it hits. There's also the G Pro, but that's smaller and lighter weight, and a number of pros actually use the G303 but that thing is super tiny and weirdly shaped.

Also of note, Zowie uses Huano switches vs Logitech's Omrons, which makes a difference in how the main buttons feel to click.

T800
Jul 2, 2009

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

It depends on the trackball. Mine goes up to 1600DPI, which is similar to mid-low sensitivity on most mice. The discontinued L-Trac X had a 3200DPI sensor, which was apparently very good for gaming.

Because of the fact that it uses a rotating ball, it isn't like using a mouse - you never run out of space, so in games where you're turning a lot (more shooters than you might realize) you can track people extremely well. I can do 90 and 180 degree turns without overshooting or undershooting, I can snipe (the cursor doesn't move at all when you click because the buttons are big paddles you can hit with your thumb or the entire side of your hand, so you don't even need to touch the ball while you click if you have your surprise shot really lined up), and I can shoot people adequately. I don't compete in CS:GO or anything, but it's fine with every game I've used it with.

There is an adjustment period, but I got used to it pretty quickly. The first few hours were disorienting, but after a few days I was almost up to snuff, and it was a few weeks before I was at 100%.

If you need more buttons than three, the 5W model of the L-Trac will work. You can hook up additional buttons, up to two. They sell button assemblies now but you can use whatever; I've seen some people put together a lego enclosure for a microswitch and keyboard key, if you're the DIY type.

I'd love a vacuum-formed or 3D printed button enclosure that mounts onto the side 'rails' and adds a second large button to each side. Tilt it upward a little bit so it's easier to hit, and it'd be the perfect accessory. I don't think the market is big enough to support that, though.

Just as a counter point to this, I grew up playing FPSes on a trackball thanks to my dads RSI for about 12 years before switching to a regular mouse. I don't know if it's like training exclusively with a weighted vest on and then taking it off, but I went from being pretty meh to getting accused of hacking on my normal severs within a few days of switching to a regular mouse. The hardest part was learning to properly reset the mouse back to the center of the pad whenever possible, as I definitely ran into situations where I ran my mouse and my hand off the mousepad into the wall next to my desk several times.

Playing FPSs on the trackball wasn't terrible or anything, and I feel like other people might just be more talented at using them than me. Most people I know that use trackballs and game just keep a regular mouse around for FPSs and avoid lengthy sessions.

Whatever you do though, don't use a thumb-ball for gaming. I tried one out for about a week and my hand never knew greater pain than trying to use that for FPSs.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Also of note, Zowie uses Huano switches vs Logitech's Omrons, which makes a difference in how the main buttons feel to click.

I've been alternating between a G303 and EC2A during OW, both plugged in at once, and it definitely feels like the Logitech has better buttons. Even though I main support even things like being able to accurately heal targets as Mercy feels faster on the 303. Hopefully the G403 will help a lot of people who can't use the G303.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

T800 posted:

Just as a counter point to this, I grew up playing FPSes on a trackball thanks to my dads RSI for about 12 years before switching to a regular mouse. I don't know if it's like training exclusively with a weighted vest on and then taking it off, but I went from being pretty meh to getting accused of hacking on my normal severs within a few days of switching to a regular mouse. The hardest part was learning to properly reset the mouse back to the center of the pad whenever possible, as I definitely ran into situations where I ran my mouse and my hand off the mousepad into the wall next to my desk several times.

Playing FPSs on the trackball wasn't terrible or anything, and I feel like other people might just be more talented at using them than me. Most people I know that use trackballs and game just keep a regular mouse around for FPSs and avoid lengthy sessions.

Whatever you do though, don't use a thumb-ball for gaming. I tried one out for about a week and my hand never knew greater pain than trying to use that for FPSs.

It's certainly not a bad idea to keep a spare mouse around. You'll probably be better at gaming with the mouse for a long time; the trackball has certain advantages, but familiarity will not be one of them. Even once you get used to it, a mouse is just as good or better for many people when playing games.

For everything else I'll take the trackball hands down, and even for gaming I prefer it, but I can see the appeal of a regular mouse for gaming.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I've heard the FK1 had sensor issues related to build quality in the past but I'm not sure if that's an issue that was fixed or not?

The sensor collects dust easily and develops tracking problems because of it, unless you rigorously clean it, I guess. I switched to the G303 which I grip similarly to the FK1, even though it's smaller. (Does size really matter with a claw grip? Width seems more relevant)

Storm-
Jan 7, 2007

You win some, you lose some... then you lose some more.

So now we're getting new versions of the G100 and the MX500... maybe a new G9 could be coming? :coolfish:

Logitech is coming home, boys.

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy
G403 is really not shaped much like MX500 at all, except in that both of them are somewhat large and designed to be comfortable in your right hand.

I think it's very unlikely there will ever be a resurrection of G9.

eames, if you can get me your contact information and describe your issue somehow I can try to get someone in Customer Care to research and resolve your issue.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Hey, Goo: any chance the new quiet mice have a Bluetooth mode? I'd love a mouse to use with my tablet in bed, but don't really see hanging a micro-USB to USB dongle off of it.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

PerrineClostermann posted:

I've got a G400s that I'm thinking of replacing. Only one of the side buttons is in a convenient spot for me, and the scroll wheel is both starting to stick a bit, and too smooth for me to get a good grip on.

I've been getting into Arma lately, so I've been wondering how bad a choice it'd be to go with a comedy "MMO Gaming Mouse" with fifty buttons. Ideas? Or at least, something with a decent scroll wheel...

Reposting 'cause it got lost at the bottom of the page.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

My trusty old G500 is slowly dying from natural causes, right mouse button doesn't reliably "hold down" anymore, mouse wheel occasionally spazzes out and is hard-going, and one of the buttons on the left isn't really clicking anymore.

I was going to ask what a reasonable replacement these days would be, but I saw the G500s on Amazon and it seems just like my old G500 with a facelift, and about 10 bucks cheaper than when I bought mine, would that be about right? Also, would anyone know whether the little weights from my G500 are compatible with the 500s cassette slots?

Or is there any new hotshot mouse on the market these days in the 40-50 dollar region that rivals the G500 of old/G500s?

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

Goo posted:

I think it's very unlikely there will ever be a resurrection of G9.

I don't understand why though. It was the smallest, lightest, best mouse with the shell off and had great buttons. The only reason to not use it now is the sensor.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.

Megalixir posted:

The only reason to not use it now is the sensor.

Well that and it no longer being for sale.

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy

Megalixir posted:

I don't understand why though. It was the smallest, lightest, best mouse with the shell off and had great buttons. The only reason to not use it now is the sensor.

Affinity for a product is not the same as popularity. It's a difficult business decision to justify.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

Goo posted:

Affinity for a product is not the same as popularity. It's a difficult business decision to justify.

Is that why they discontinued the MX518?

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy

Megalixir posted:

Is that why they discontinued the MX518?
In my experience it's rare that a product that is performing exceptionally is replaced or discontinued. Sometimes they're refreshed (MX518 to G400) to try and give them a boost, and sometimes they're totally reset (G500s to G502). Sometimes they're just shut down.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Mice are such a personal preference, I wonder if there's a market for truly custom mice. If Logitech said, "We'll sell you any mouse we've ever made, but you're going to pay a bunch of money because we will literally need to make one special just for you", would there be enough people that would pay $500 for an MX518 to make it worthwhile? I guess eBay could give a sense of such demand, if it exists.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Hi, person who bought a pair of mice purporting to be new MX518s off ebay here.

Spoiler: They weren't new, and they were MX518 gen 2s.

If I could get an MX518 with an updated sensor, I would be so loving happy.

Not a G502.
Not a G400s.
Definitely not a G400, of any pedigree.

I mean the good old MX518 from before their trying to cut costs and make them not last quite as overly long. The one that lasted me more than nine years. (With one cable replacement.)

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Sep 16, 2016

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy

Ynglaur posted:

Mice are such a personal preference, I wonder if there's a market for truly custom mice. If Logitech said, "We'll sell you any mouse we've ever made, but you're going to pay a bunch of money because we will literally need to make one special just for you", would there be enough people that would pay $500 for an MX518 to make it worthwhile? I guess eBay could give a sense of such demand, if it exists.

$500 is way low. It's not a smart business plan.

MX500/510/518/G400/G400s had an 11 year run. It's incredibly unlikely it will ever come back.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
I would legitimately pay the g900 price for one. I've bought a dozen mice in the last year because gently caress it, one of them has to have a shape like it and an up to date sensor. Never underestimate how stupid consumers (myself) are with their :10bux:.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Ynglaur posted:

Cyagen is a Santa Clara-based company that will ship you a custom-designed mouse according to the blueprints you provide. We're living in the future, folks.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

I've been using wireless mice for years since I really don't like the feel of a cord dragging or pushing on the mouse when I'm trying to use it, then I bought a g700s and the absurdly lovely battery life meant it spent most of it's time plugged in via the incredibly stiff usb cable anyway. That mouse died and I got a refund so I'm now looking for a new mouse.

I figure any wired mouse can't be as bad as that was, so what should I get if I like large mice and want at least two buttons near the thumb arranged vertically? The g502 looks decent since I can rebind the sniper button so I'm leaning toward that at the moment.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Ynglaur posted:

I have a lightly used MX518. I'll sell it to you for only $250.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Ephphatha posted:

then I bought a g700s and the absurdly lovely battery life meant it spent most of it's time plugged in via the incredibly stiff usb cable anyway.

Can you be more explicit about the "absurdly lovely" battery life? I was planning on the G700s as my next mouse, if the battery lasts less than a couple of days that would be a major bummer.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

NihilCredo posted:

Can you be more explicit about the "absurdly lovely" battery life? I was planning on the G700s as my next mouse, if the battery lasts less than a couple of days that would be a major bummer.

A couple, :laffo:

I have a G700, I don't think the G700s significantly improved battery life if at all. Generally you're charging it every day or two, my record was 2-3 times on the same day on a weekend with lots of MMO playtime.

Although, lately I got it to 2-3 days per charge with my settings and a new Eneloop Pro battery, but it's still crappy (I also have a Performance MX as a backup and in comparison it's even more hilarious).

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

NihilCredo posted:

I was charging it daily. I'd get around 7 hours of active use out of a charge before it stopped responding completely. It also had a severe amount of idle drain, if I used the computer in the morning before work and I forgot to plug it in I'd find it at less than half charge when I came home. It's entirely possible this could've been improved somewhat with a firmware update but from what I saw that was pretty close to typical for this mouse.

lethial
Apr 29, 2009
Anyone have experience fixing double clicking issue with a G602? I actually don't use this mice all that much, but all of a sudden it starts to have trouble registering left clicks. I am pretty sure I am out of the warranty window for it too... :ohdear:

ufarn
May 30, 2009

lethial posted:

Anyone have experience fixing double clicking issue with a G602? I actually don't use this mice all that much, but all of a sudden it starts to have trouble registering left clicks. I am pretty sure I am out of the warranty window for it too... :ohdear:
Double-clicking can be a bad sign, but try buying a plastic dental pick (white with curved end) and wedge one under and between your keys and remove any dirt that might be obstructing your mouse. I've had to do this a few times on my Logitech mice.

lethial
Apr 29, 2009

ufarn posted:

Double-clicking can be a bad sign, but try buying a plastic dental pick (white with curved end) and wedge one under and between your keys and remove any dirt that might be obstructing your mouse. I've had to do this a few times on my Logitech mice.

I will try that thanks! I have so many mice, most of them from logitech, this is literally the first time that I have encountered this issue... I would be less surprised if it happened to other less "gamer" mice. I guess it's just all luck.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

lethial posted:

I will try that thanks! I have so many mice, most of them from logitech, this is literally the first time that I have encountered this issue... I would be less surprised if it happened to other less "gamer" mice. I guess it's just all luck.
Logitech mice have a better actuation than any other I've tried, so the additional sensitivity probably renders it more susceptible to the issue. I tried a Zowie EC1-A, and it felt like an hour and three kilometers before the click registered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Buy a fucken aa battery recharger and have 4 to cycle, you goobers. Who gives a poo poo about battery life anymore, goddamn.