Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Meskhenet posted:

Im playing project ozone 2.

It has mrf and ranchable fluid cows. But the rancher doesnt milk the cows. Is there something missing in the configs or something? It's the first thing that's actually really annoyed me in this pack.

I'm pretty certain that worked in Sky Factory - are you piping out the liquid if you have more than one cow type? The rancher couldn't deal with more than one type of fluid at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Whats a current quest guided modpack? Been out for a while but feeling that itch.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Devor posted:

I'm pretty certain that worked in Sky Factory - are you piping out the liquid if you have more than one cow type? The rancher couldn't deal with more than one type of fluid at once.

I think it was working, but i was checking the cow, and it wasnt showing any timer. I ended up watching the rancher and occasionally it got some liquid xp, so i guess it is working.

Now im a few days into the pack im starting to find some of the broken bits.
Enderman spawn cage + powered spawner? Thats 300 levels of xp thanks. (umm, i think ill just use MFR....)

Also the power costs are all over the shop.

Firstly, capacitators and stuff are buffed, soa vibrant cap will hold 500m rf. But then my first rtfool world with what looked like almost no power draw ended up sucking 16bill rf in a few minutes. My culinary generator just couldnt do it lol.

And Mek is gated behind some pnuomic or something that ive never done, not that i have any ores to double.

But last nighti did my 18 villager souls (using the de-zombify syringes) so i have my alchemical orb thing. All i need is 4 128^3 spatial storage disks from AE2 and ive made my emc table.......... oh god help me (i dont even think i made those when i had the emc table already there..)

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Cerepol posted:

Whats a current quest guided modpack? Been out for a while but feeling that itch.

Well, it has been over a page since I whored out Baby's First Space Race--which I might add autocompletes on my phone now--if you need a refresher on all the stuff out there.

Otherwise, there is a huge pile of questbook modpacks. It seems to be the hip way to go. Stuff like:

Blightfall
Journey to the Core
Regrowth
Agrarian Skies 3
Sky Factory
And others. Of the lot, I only played Blightfall because I otherwise was editing BFSR.

I know there are others within even the past 5 pages of the thread. However, be wary of the ones that were doing Gregtech because they are crazy.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Otherwise, there is a huge pile of questbook modpacks. It seems to be the hip way to go. Stuff like:

Theres also
ME3 and ME4
FTB (the original)
Skyden (in the OP)
Seaden
Plus Block (in the OP)

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Sep 11, 2016

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
While I'm talking about BFSR, my wife was trying to bring it up with the neighbor and they ended up googling it. She found the Technic page with all the support requests and got really pissed about people asking me to wipe their butt all the time. I told her that was just the world of games.

The payoff is sneaking in horrific poo poo nobody asked for.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

While I'm talking about BFSR, my wife was trying to bring it up with the neighbor and they ended up googling it. She found the Technic page with all the support requests and got really pissed about people asking me to wipe their butt all the time. I told her that was just the world of games.

The payoff is sneaking in horrific poo poo nobody asked for.

Rocko why and how are you so goddamned amazing

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Sea Den never happened and I've been out of the game so long it probably never will. RIP.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Sea Den is the past, Space Den is the future

greententacle
Apr 28, 2007

Mr Bubbles

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Agrarian Skies 3

Is this just a typo, or is there an Agrarian Skies 3?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

greententacle posted:

Is this just a typo, or is there an Agrarian Skies 3?
I screwed up... I think.

Magres posted:

Rocko why and how are you so goddamned amazing

I just want to see a YouTube video of somebody stumbling into the death ship dimension, but everything has gone quiet.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Today I learned Gregtech uses a grid of 3x3 chunks to determine where it spawns veins. However after some effort measuring ore veins and finding their apparent centers it kindof seems like they're not following the grid exactly? Unless the spot the ore vein starts is actually the CORNER of the area the vein takes up, which would make different vein sizes have offset centers. I've only measured a limonite and a soapstone vein...

The reason why I want to know this is because you should in theory be able to take a core sample by digging straight down in the middle of every 3x3 tile and find every vein.

Edit: well, no, it's not adhering to a grid. It's possible it picks a random spot in each 3x3 tile. Still, digging down every 3 chunks isn't a bad idea if you want a good chance of finding veins. Just be careful of lava. I've been carrying a chest around and putting everything in it on the surface for each core sample, and stopping at y=15 to start digging down in a two-wide tunnel so that I won't fall into lava. Usually. There's always the chance you'll fall into an underground ravine or a cave that happens to have one of those random lava flows in it.

I've had decent success so far doing this in InfiTech2. I found Molybdenum, which is one of the rare vein types... but not the veins I'm looking for: nickel and manganese.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Sep 12, 2016

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

McFrugal posted:

middle of every 3x3 tile and find every vein.

lol. go greg go.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Well, it has been over a page since I whored out Baby's First Space Race--which I might add autocompletes on my phone now--if you need a refresher on all the stuff out there.

Blightfall
Journey to the Core
Regrowth
Agrarian Skies 3
Sky Factory

Ah shoot I meant something on 1.10.

Though now that I looked it up apparently Regrowth has hit 1.0 status? Last I played Thaumcraft had no quests. Though the idea of going through that sea-mods metal making process feels painful.

Do ME3 or ME4 hold up to the original?

Maiden
Mar 18, 2008

power crystals posted:

Yeah, Nether Ores was me as well. When people first discovered hellfish the reactions they had made me happier than you could possibly imagine. Combined with what you said above everything was so totally worth it you have no idea.

I still maintain the silverfish are bad enemy design, same as creepers and endermen.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Maiden posted:

I still maintain the silverfish are bad enemy design, same as creepers and endermen.

I not only disagree but argue that Minecraft should have a configurable simulated monster civilization system akin to dwarf fortress when loading a world for the first time. Simulate 10 days for the rare bit of tree or grass moved, and 7 years for the authentic 2b2t blasted hellhole experience.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Having a problem with the Buildcraft refinery. I can see it in NEI and I can spawn it in and use it. I know the recipe from googling. I just cant build it.
I checked through the config and cant see anything that is disabling it. I can only guess that some other mod might be disabling it. Or its just plain bugged.

Could it be Forestry or MFR.
Also, after watching through some lets plays, I realized that I have never tried the robots. Giving that a go now.

e: the refinery problem seems to be from buildcraft additions

OgNar fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Sep 13, 2016

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

OgNar posted:

Having a problem with the Buildcraft refinery. I can see it in NEI and I can spawn it in and use it. I know the recipe from googling. I just cant build it.
I checked through the config and cant see anything that is disabling it. I can only guess that some other mod might be disabling it. Or its just plain bugged.

Could it be Forestry or MFR.
Also, after watching through some lets plays, I realized that I have never tried the robots. Giving that a go now.

e: the refinery problem seems to be from buildcraft additions

It's probably a disabled recipe. Let me guess, GregTech is installed? It has its own ways of refining oil.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Maiden posted:

Creepers made more sense in the context of the Zombie Siege direction the game was originally going as opposed to... whatever you'd call what it ended up as.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Maiden posted:

I still maintain the silverfish are bad enemy design
Their loving hitboxes seem way off. Same with spiders.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

So God help me, but after years of Minecrafting I finally decided to get into modded MC after seeing a few Skyfactory videos. And I like SF, but there is waaaaay too much stuff in there, so I figured I'd just start with Ex Nihilo and put together a bunch of mods on my own.

Is there a simple automation mod that doesn't have twenty intermediary steps to make things you can actually use and/or has actual documentation? Everything I've seen is either ridiculously overdesigned or has no instructions whatsoever.

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

Evil Mastermind posted:

So God help me, but after years of Minecrafting I finally decided to get into modded MC after seeing a few Skyfactory videos. And I like SF, but there is waaaaay too much stuff in there, so I figured I'd just start with Ex Nihilo and put together a bunch of mods on my own.

Is there a simple automation mod that doesn't have twenty intermediary steps to make things you can actually use and/or has actual documentation? Everything I've seen is either ridiculously overdesigned or has no instructions whatsoever.

You might like RFTools as it has in-game instructions, but not a lot of processing machines. I hear Immersive Engineering has those processing machines and power generation, plus uses in-game multi-blocks for building. I have it installed and saw an in-game manual, but haven't tried any of it yet to know if it's worthwhile.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Immersive Engineering is definitely worthwhile in the early game power gen, falls off in the middle due to lack of options and machine requirements, then is a pretty branch for dicking around with in your post-scarcity world.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Thermal Expansion is a good comprehensive automation mod, with relatively cheap early machines with the capacity for upgrades. You have a variety of power generation options (with Dynamos), power transmission with Energy Conduit, as well as Itemducts and Fluiducts for moving around items and liquids respectively. Not to mention all the processing machines.

The one tricky thing about the Itemduct/Fluiduct is that you need either a Servo (pushes items out from the block it's attached to) or Retriever (pulls item from distant inventories, INTO the block it's attached to) in order to make things move through the pipes. You put down your two chests a few blocks apart, fill one with cobble, connect the chests with an Itemduct, then slap a servo on the connection to the chest filled with cobble. Right click on the servo you installed, and turn off the Redstone signal toggle (or put a lever on top and flick it on, but most people just leave things running instead of using levers). Cobble starts moving and you can watch it go! The graphics help you visualize what's going on.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Thanks, folks; it looks like Thermal Expansion might be along the lines of what I'm looking for. I generally only play Skyblocks anymore so getting resources in general is a limiting factor as to what I can use, so I'd need something that's Ex Nihilo compatible. Looks like my self-imposed limitation might keep me from RFTools or things along those lines, though.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
Ex Astris makes more mods compatible with ExNihilo.

Ex Compressum Lets you sift compressed gravel, sand, etc for less tedium.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Thanks again. Right now it looks like I'm just going to go with Ex Nihilo, Thermal Foundation/Expansion, and the basic connection/QOL mods. Like I said, I mainly do skyblocks or survival islands nowadays, so I don't think it's worth getting too nuts with things that add a ton of extra crap.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Consider Minefactory Reloaded. It and Thermal are so compatible with each other there's even options to use each other's components for a more consistent experience. It adds the ability to automate farming, ranching, monster harvesting, and some other stuff. It opens up alternate routes to obtain certain materials in a skyblock environment too.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost
After that, if you're looking for a different kind of experience, the Garden of Glass skyblock works okay as a cool tutorialish thing for Botania. It could be a way to dip your toe into magic mods.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Evil Mastermind posted:

SF is modded mods, as in the rec's and stuff have been altered to add in the 20 steps to make the screw you need to make the hammer (well ok, not gregtech, but close.)

If you're just starting out have a look at Rocco's Baby's first space race.

If you are after a skyblock, then maybe agraian skies 2? It has HQM book that leads you through what to build.

In fact all you're missing in SF is a HQM book to guide you. SF you sort of have to know what you're doing. AS2 will lead you through bits (i think)

So my recommendation is to forgo the making your own pack with stuff you dont know how to use and grab a pack with a HQM book that is well done. (its really rare to actually have a HQM mod pack have hqm turned on, so dont worry)

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
While IE is a good mod, I wouldn't really suggest anyone pair it with an Ex Nihilo pack as the only means of processing. IE multiblocks use ridiculous amounts of iron and steel.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Are there any skyblock mods/packs for 1.10? It seems so weird to me that 1.8 was over 2 years ago and so much is still stuck on 1.7.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
We're coming up on 1.7.2, and thus via compatibility, 1.7.10's third birthday of total dominance. The cracks have only started to pull apart and its still more likely that 1.11 will be the version to end it for good.

What I'm saying is 1.2.5 was a lightweight, all hail the status quo king.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Vib Rib posted:

Are there any skyblock mods/packs for 1.10? It seems so weird to me that 1.8 was over 2 years ago and so much is still stuck on 1.7.

While I was looking around for mods, I saw Bacon Whatshisface saying he was working on SkyFactory for 1.0. I think it was on his twitter.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Playstation 4 posted:

We're coming up on 1.7.2, and thus via compatibility, 1.7.10's third birthday of total dominance. The cracks have only started to pull apart and its still more likely that 1.11 will be the version to end it for good.

What I'm saying is 1.2.5 was a lightweight, all hail the status quo king.
People said that about 1.8 too. That modders would skip 1.8 and leapfrog to 1.9. Then it was that they'd skip 1.9 and only update straight to 1.10. Now it feels like most of them have just died out. It's like 1.8 was an extinction event, with so many people dropping support or losing interest in maintaining their mods, and now we slowly, gradually, have all new mods cropping up to replace them. It's taking time to build momentum but at this point I think it's almost a matter of letting go of all the old mods and ushering in the new wave.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Evil Mastermind posted:

While I was looking around for mods, I saw Bacon Whatshisface saying he was working on SkyFactory for 1.0. I think it was on his twitter.

Bacon Donut has been playing old school Sky Factory 1 lately as a retro kick - the current version is 2.5

Darkosto (sp?) self-describes as the primary developer for Sky Factory in recent months, although it still "belongs" to Bacon Donut. Darkosto has been working on developing Sky Factory 3 lately - which from quick looks seems to be updating to Minecraft 1.10

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Vib Rib posted:

People said that about 1.8 too. That modders would skip 1.8 and leapfrog to 1.9. Then it was that they'd skip 1.9 and only update straight to 1.10. Now it feels like most of them have just died out. It's like 1.8 was an extinction event, with so many people dropping support or losing interest in maintaining their mods, and now we slowly, gradually, have all new mods cropping up to replace them. It's taking time to build momentum but at this point I think it's almost a matter of letting go of all the old mods and ushering in the new wave.

yeah, didn't that exact thing happen with 1.2.5?

cf. the death of Redpower, obsolescence of Industrialcraft

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

yeah, didn't that exact thing happen with 1.2.5?

cf. the death of Redpower, obsolescence Gregtechification of Industrialcraft

FTFY. It lives on for tedium nerds.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Sage Grimm posted:

It lives on for tedium nerds.
That seems to be the main theme of a lot of the tech mods anyway, so why change it?

(Seriously, TinkerCraft, I do not need to min/max the stats on my axe.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Evil Mastermind posted:

That seems to be the main theme of a lot of the tech mods anyway, so why change it?

(Seriously, TinkerCraft, I do not need to min/max the stats on my axe.)
Tinker's Construct? It may look a little daunting to start (and it certainly is more involved than just sticking 3 iron and 2 wood in a crafting grid), but it's also the source of some of the most overpowered tools in modded Minecraft. Tools that never break, hammers that mine in 3x3 squares, axes cut down entire trees, and swords that pierce armor or let you jump higher.

And then crossbows are a whole extra level of stupid.