Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Remember how I bitched about the SOB purifiers in Wasted? Turns out I was wrong, they're incredibly easy to kill, here's what you do: Get an automatic rifle (Preferably Slab's rifle), aim at the head from a good distance, and hold down the fire button until you run out of ammo. The Purifier will probably be dead by then, and you get a complete refill of rifle ammunition PLUS a minigun. But you can still get your poo poo wrecked if there's, say, some tough rear end in a top hat robots chasing you, and your only way out is facing the Purifier, but that's not a thing dragging the game down because I went out of my way to go through the red door even though I was being hunted - I should have killed the Purifier first.

edit: my brother told me that stunlocking them with the crowbar is the best way to kill them. it is not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

Somfin posted:

Yeah, how dare game writers use anything outside of your personal frame of reference when writing characters

I specifically mentioned anime games for a reason. Anime is shallow as gently caress and should stay away from any topic more complex than the power of friendship. I don't like anime myself but if other people want to partake then go for it, but the person who thinks "ah yes I would like to see an anime game take on microaggression" has problems.

To make sure we don't continue arguing over something I'm not arguing I'll clarify this has nothing to do with my opinion on microaggression and everything to do with my opinion on anime.

Futuresight has a new favorite as of 19:20 on Sep 10, 2016

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Action Tortoise posted:

painkiller is an arena fps and who gives a poo poo about the skin color of their forearms in those kinds of games?

Well, the extra generic stuff is important too, because it shows how much the default is always white.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

WickedHate posted:

Well, the extra generic stuff is important too, because it shows how much the default is always white.

ImpAtom posted:

A friendly reminder that WickedHate is a self-admitted sociopath and you're not going to win this argument.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

please don't ad hominem

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Obduction seems pretty cool but after playing for about an hour and a half it gave me such bad motion sickness that I felt like poo poo for the rest of the day. The Witness tier motion sickness.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Higsian posted:

I specifically mentioned anime games for a reason. Anime is shallow as gently caress and should stay away from any topic more complex than the power of friendship. I don't like anime myself but if other people want to partake then go for it, but the person who thinks "ah yes I would like to see an anime game take on microaggression" has problems.

Dog you posted all these words over a throwaway joke in a Phoenix Wright game, a series that repeatedly goes out of its way to remind you that it is not serious.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Lizard Wizard posted:

please don't helldump

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Higsian posted:

To make sure we don't continue arguing over something I'm not arguing I'll clarify this has nothing to do with my opinion on microaggression and everything to do with my opinion on anime.

ahahaha wtf is this doing here?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Yeah I think I can more or less guarantee that whoever put the word "microaggressions" in the localization didn't do it because the scene explores the concept but because people will know that word from the internet and have a laugh because recognition humour.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

My Lovely Horse posted:

Yeah I think I can more or less guarantee that whoever put the word "microaggressions" in the localization didn't do it because the scene explores the concept but because people will know that word from the internet and have a laugh because recognition humour.

Yeah this is ace attorney localization tradition at this point.
Itd be like moaning at a pop culture reference. Because thats what this basically is.

RyokoTK posted:

Dog you posted all these words over a throwaway joke in a Phoenix Wright game, a series that repeatedly goes out of its way to remind you that it is not serious.

A series in which the words:
"Defense, you may cross examine the Parrot"
are said.
In the first game.

The closest thing AA comes to making actual commentary on is the Japanese Justice System. And arguably less so with more recent installations.

Rigged Death Trap has a new favorite as of 22:41 on Sep 10, 2016

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So I started playing warframe again and overall the game is a lot smoother, but they've done some really dumb stuff since I quit.

Like Oxium. A rare resource needed for almost everything now. How do you get it? Well it exclusively shows up in missions featuring one of three factions like a lot of other resources. Unlike other resources the only way to kill it, is to kill one specific enemy. That enemy is a stupid little drone that exists solely to charge into the nearest wall, person or geometric object and self destruct before you can kill it. If it self destructs it doesn't drop poo poo. If you kill it, it drops like ten of the resource! I need over a thousand.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Yeah this is ace attorney localization tradition at this point.
Itd be like moaning at a pop culture reference. Because thats what this basically is.

Arkham Knight made a lot of people angry by poking fun at hashtag activism. If a general term gets used then it must be against a specific target or else!

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Action Tortoise posted:

painkiller is an arena fps and who gives a poo poo about the skin color of their forearms in those kinds of games?

"No-one gives a poo poo, so let's make him a generic scowly 30 something white guy with short brown hair." - this is how the default gets established. Painkiller coulda been about a happy-go-lucky 20-year-old gay black dude with a massive fro and nerd glasses, and it would have changed nothing, but they decided to stay inside their comfort zone and use gaming's default protagonist instead. This is what's dragging down a lot of games- the stubborn insistence that a scowly 30 something white guy with short brown hair is somehow a 'default' and anything that strays outside that zone makes the game niche.

And yes, Shepard gets included here because the default Shepard, the point where the character creator starts, the place that the player needs to deliberately change from, is a scowly 30 something white guy with short brown hair.

poptart_fairy posted:

Arkham Knight made a lot of people angry by poking fun at hashtag activism. If a general term gets used then it must be against a specific target or else!

You really don't read much, do you?

Somfin has a new favorite as of 00:49 on Sep 11, 2016

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
AK mocked online activism by using the -gate affix as a way of ridiculing self-absorbed characters that weren't achieving anything substantial. People got annoyed because of this. What does that have to do with reading more?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

poptart_fairy posted:

AK mocked online activism by using the -gate affix as a way of ridiculing self-absorbed characters that weren't achieving anything substantial.

Accurate.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Somfin posted:

"No-one gives a poo poo, so let's make him a generic scowly 30 something white guy with short brown hair." - this is how the default gets established. Painkiller coulda been about a happy-go-lucky 20-year-old gay black dude with a massive fro and nerd glasses, and it would have changed nothing, but they decided to stay inside their comfort zone and use gaming's default protagonist instead. This is what's dragging down a lot of games- the stubborn insistence that a scowly 30 something white guy with short brown hair is somehow a 'default' and anything that strays outside that zone makes the game niche.

And yes, Shepard gets included here because the default Shepard, the point where the character creator starts, the place that the player needs to deliberately change from, is a scowly 30 something white guy with short brown hair.

i give a poo poo, but i'm not gonna look back at games which were products of their times and shake my head at them for not thinking about those kinds of issues. take to task the games coming out now that should know better and wring their hands about not adding female options to their character creators bc it's too resource intensive or reusing the same dead family member motivation bc it's an easy writing hack to motivate an audience. in any event, arena shooter leads are barely characters.

as with shepherd, I think they should have had promotional images with the character sporting a helmet and really emphasized the character customization aspects of the game from the beginning. saints row got it right when they introduced the boss with his/her features obscured at the beginning of every game since 2.

i don't expect "white as default" in gaming or anywhere in the pop culture sphere to go away in my time. nerd culture is still uncomfortably exclusiory in most spaces. like it'd be cool to see that happen more often, but personally as a poc all I really want in games is to see an Asian lead who isn't doing martial arts and isn't surrounded by a bunch of orientalist mysticism.

I enjoy the God of War-like Marlow Briggs bc the lead happens to be a black firefighter and none of that poo poo ever factors into the gameplay.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Do you really want these white people who are apparently "Incapable of leaving their comfort zone" trying to write for a non white character? How would they even do that without being called racists or pandering?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
This conversation loving blows balls and this thread is the absolute worst place for it, and the worst is that it came about apropos of a guy being triggered over an unimaginably irrelevant joke in a Phoenix Wright game. :(

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
I wish the controls felt a little less "stiff" in Monster Hunter Generations. I hope someone knows what I mean.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

I wish the controls felt a little less "stiff" in Monster Hunter Generations. I hope someone knows what I mean.

I feel ya. It's definitely the best of the Monster Hunter games I've played but as a whole the series is clunky as poo poo.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Action Tortoise posted:

I enjoy the God of War-like Marlow Briggs bc the lead happens to be a black firefighter and none of that poo poo ever factors into the gameplay.

People say things like this but then other people argue that it's bad if you make your character a minority/female and it doesn't factor into the gameplay and story, because then it's just a meaningless surface-level change and not real representation.

Which is it, internet?!

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

Action Tortoise posted:

ahahaha wtf is this doing here?

Anime is the thing dragging every anime game down. :colbert:

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

The controls are absolutely perfect in every way, you just need to git gud.

The thing dragging down Monster Hunter is the community, they're more rabidly masochistic than Dark Souls players.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Action Tortoise posted:

saints row got it right when they introduced the boss with his/her features obscured at the beginning of every game since 2.
And like so many other things, they hosed it up in SR3 by giving the protagonist an obviously male voice in the first mission. SR2 does it best by just putting the character creator right at the start instead of throwing you straight into the prologue mission and putting the character creator after that.

Leal posted:

Do you really want these white people who are apparently "Incapable of leaving their comfort zone" trying to write for a non white character? How would they even do that without being called racists or pandering?
By avoiding cliches and just writing the character as a person. :shrug:

Triarii posted:

People say things like this but then other people argue that it's bad if you make your character a minority/female and it doesn't factor into the gameplay and story, because then it's just a meaningless surface-level change and not real representation.

Which is it, internet?!
Both? Having more non-white, non-male protagonists is a good start even if they're written exactly the same as if they'd been white men.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Len posted:

I feel ya. It's definitely the best of the Monster Hunter games I've played but as a whole the series is clunky as poo poo.

I really wanted to like Monster Hunter 4, but its controls pushed it over the edge into 'can't finish' to me. It's like Dark Souls' fat younger brother that's trying to do the same moves and failing miserably.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Tiggum posted:

And like so many other things, they hosed it up in SR3 by giving the protagonist an obviously male voice in the first mission. SR2 does it best by just putting the character creator right at the start instead of throwing you straight into the prologue mission and putting the character creator after that.

the voice in 3 is digitally masked by the voice changer on their collars, and 4 just has the comms system disabled.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop
I hate the equipment leveling system in Monster Hunter Generations. Why couldn't the game have just been Monster Hunter 4: But With New Monsters.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Because capcom let the Frontier team have a crack at a handheld game.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Triarii posted:

Which is it, internet?!

"Person operating at the maximum extent of their limits" is how 95% of video game characters are written anyway; there's no difference between any identity of character in that headspace. An identity change to that character does fuckin' nothing except make it so that the character is no longer a scowly 30 something white guy with short brown hair. Which really does nothing except include more diverse identities in the grand canon of gaming history. This is, I believe, an inherently good thing. If the character is the protagonist, they will have motivation, agency and impact on the world- a lot of old arguments about tokenism and inclusion for inclusion's sake fall by the wayside when you make that character the one that the player is controlling, the one who changes things in the world.

Most of the games where the character's identity as a scowly 30 something white guy with short brown hair does matter- like, is impossible to change for story reasons- are games where the primary conflict revolves around the character being a dad. Which is fine, but there's a lot more identity-driven plots out there.

And most character creators could do with starting in any state other than scowly 30 something white guy with short brown hair. Pillars of Eternity randomises everything when you first pick a character, which is awesome- I load up the character design screen and get a scowly black elf lady with a halberd. I load it up again and get a tiny chirpy cat thing with a club and a shield. Skyrim switched it up by making the default a scowly 30 something white guy with ragged blonde tresses, which is actually enough. It's an extremely specific archetype.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Triarii posted:

Which is it, internet?!

You just can't win, so don't even try.

Every character in every game should be replaced by a bright red question mark, or a duck or something.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Tiggum posted:

By avoiding cliches and just writing the character as a person. :shrug:

So I have to ask, if they're just writing a person and not a racial person, why does it matter what color their skin is? Is it the same thing as Fallout 4 and people were furious about being FORCED STRAIGHT and how they had the fact rubbed in their face every time the main character talked about their kid and they couldn't put themselves in their character cause they aren't straight irl?

E: I mean, if they're just going to do "Drake but black" or "Master Chief but Mexican" how does it be anything other then token? Its basically the gay character romance option in a lot of games that are nothing more then just providing a gay option and nothing more.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Leal posted:

So I have to ask, if they're just writing a person and not a racial person, why does it matter what color their skin is? Is it the same thing as Fallout 4 and people were furious about being FORCED STRAIGHT and how they had the fact rubbed in their face every time the main character talked about their kid and they couldn't put themselves in their character cause they aren't straight irl?

E: I mean, if they're just going to do "Drake but black" or "Master Chief but Mexican" how does it be anything other then token? Its basically the gay character romance option in a lot of games that are nothing more then just providing a gay option and nothing more.

If it doesn't matter, why are so many people so antsy about them being anything but white?

E: It's not token because it's not a side character included for diversity's sake whose primary role is to announce their identity and explain it.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

Leal posted:

E: I mean, if they're just going to do "Drake but black"

?

Anyway, thing dragging down Arkham Knight for me is the lovely UI. It seems to have steadily got worse over the series, from a really stylish and well designed black and white scheme to this ridiculous cool blue super tech feel and I hate it.

Compare this:

To this:

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.

Leal posted:

The problem with Fallout 4 specifically doing that is that it's ostensibly an RPG, and in RPGs it's kinda important to not have dumb stuff forced on you, or it might ruin the whole RP aspect.

It doesn't matter what the protagonist is in most other genres. Mario would be the same game even if he was a black dude rescuing his boyfriend.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Ignimbrite posted:

Because capcom let the Frontier team have a crack at a handheld game.

:(:(:(

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Thoughtless posted:

The problem with Fallout 4 specifically doing that is that it's ostensibly an RPG, and in RPGs it's kinda important to not have dumb stuff forced on you, or it might ruin the whole RP aspect.

It doesn't matter what the protagonist is in most other genres. Mario would be the same game even if he was a black dude rescuing his boyfriend.

What about Super Mario RPG?

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

I didn't play those so I don't have an opinion. :shrug:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

JRPGs just inherit the term from their history of ripping off DnD, more often than not you're not actually playing a self-insert role like you tend to in WRPGs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

poptart_fairy posted:

AK mocked online activism by using the -gate affix as a way of ridiculing self-absorbed characters that weren't achieving anything substantial. People got annoyed because of this. What does that have to do with reading more?

You could start with your redtext. And post history.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

Super Mario RPG (and the Paper Mario series) are about playing an established character. Western RPGs are traditionally about playing a player insert.