Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

BigBadSteve posted:

The main thing holding me back is the high cost of a plane fare from Australia. If goons shout me the fare, I promise to dig in at least two suggested places. Reputable, safe airlines only, thanks.

I'd chip in, on the reasonable condition you be kept caged until fulfilling your end of the deal.

A reputable, safe cage of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viruswithshoes
Mar 26, 2007

BigBadSteve posted:

The main thing holding me back is the high cost of a plane fare from Australia. If goons shout me the fare, I promise to dig in at least two suggested places. Reputable, safe airlines only, thanks.

Buy the tickets on a credit card and pay the balance by hocking the gem you'll get for finding the casque. It's worth at least $1000, or so they say.

Viruswithshoes
Mar 26, 2007

Or maybe you're Xie in disguise...

All talk, no wrist

Guuse
May 11, 2009

Merlot Brougham posted:

Cask 9, Montreal

Paging Guuse to the thread. Was just going back through some of our discussion, and I have to tell you, some new poo poo has come to light

Yo whats up?

I'm actually mostly interested in whats up in nyc nowadays but spill about Montreal??!?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Viruswithshoes posted:

Buy the tickets on a credit card and pay the balance by hocking the gem you'll get for finding the casque. It's worth at least $1000, or so they say.

The gems the casque correspond to are long gone.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I'd chip in, on the reasonable condition you be kept caged until fulfilling your end of the deal.

A reputable, safe cage of course.

Done, priv me for my Paypal account details. :)

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

CrashCat posted:

really, let's just change it to "Nobody can solve a 31 year old treasure hunt" cause that's the reality

*34 year old

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Haven't checked on this in a couple years. Did this goon project actually turn up something?

MG3
Mar 29, 2016

Unguided posted:

Haven't checked on this in a couple years. Did this goon project actually turn up something?

I might go dig this weekend

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Unguided posted:

I found blackbeards treasure.

MG3
Mar 29, 2016

Obviously nothing to report at the moment. Going with my brother this coming weekend to do some digging

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

MG3 posted:

Obviously nothing to report at the moment. Going with my brother this coming weekend to do some digging
well that sounds kinky but what about the treasure?

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
This thread and the OSHA thread have got some looong legs for fun stuff. Like a hidey hole for GBS 1.0 posters to revel in their smugness.
I'm going to QCS to request cleansing. There are no jems, just hate I get it

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Champenema posted:

Great, then we'll never know if he dug anywhere. :ohdear:

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014

CrashCat posted:

Great, then we'll never know if he dug anywhere. :ohdear:

We're not here to have fun

FluffieDuckie
May 11, 2005

gbs sent us this for safekeeping. it's an entertaining read if you have a lot of time to kill.

i'm bumping it for now so it doesn't get lost

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

Explosive Tampons
Jul 9, 2014

Your days are gone!!!
bring you're own shovel

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

spoiler: it's still unsolved

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

My solve is that all of the casques are located (1) in the ground or (2) not in the ground anymore

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I did some digging in my nose this morning.

Didn't find the treasure but I made some friends along the way.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Champenema posted:

that cleansing got a bit stronger than I expected :eyepop:

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

The White Darryl Strawberry

Salad Prong
I am still interested in treasure.

Viruswithshoes
Mar 26, 2007

Merlot Brougham posted:

I am still interested in treasure.

We all are, dammit. Go and find it, some of us aren't on the same continent!

SASS-AA268

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

i live in washington dc and i dont think preiss buried jack loving poo poo around here, that asshead

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
Might be cool to apply each poem to each of our backyards, via ultra-specific gardening or cat or other references.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
then dig

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo
I've been really busy, but I'll probably get out this weekend to do some digging

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

tacodaemon posted:

i live in washington dc and i dont think preiss buried jack loving poo poo around here, that asshead
I wouldn't gently caress with Reagan-era security either

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
So the picture corresponds to the park and the verse corresponds to the location within the park?

Also, who was the artist for all the pictures?

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

MrSlam posted:

So the picture corresponds to the park and the verse corresponds to the location within the park?

Also, who was the artist for all the pictures?

No, there is a picture and a verse for each location, however, in the book they are not even matched up with each other. So while the verse and picture matchings are generally accepted, they're not for sure. Also, there's nothing that says the casques will be in a park.

It seems like each picture and verse refers to a city generally, and then usually the verse drills down a bit more with specifics on a location. That's all we know, really.

John Palencar did all the pictures, but I believe he's not helping anyone with anything.

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

The White Darryl Strawberry

Salad Prong

Crusty Nutsack posted:

John Palencar did all the pictures, but I believe he's not helping anyone with anything.

This is correct. It's also debatable about what he knew (if anything) about the specifics of each location in the first place. He is said to have been the idea man behind the Cleveland location but was otherwise drawing what Preiss provided him.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

MG3 posted:

So is the problem with the Roanoke island one just that no one has gone to Roanoke island and looked around yet?

This was a month ago but that's not the problem, the problem is that the Roanoke Island treasure has probably been removed/destroyed during a remodel. It's either in a garden that has been extensively worked on and suffers from massive erosion, or an ampi-theater area near the garden that has been remodeled, or Urban Smurf's theory - near a pole on a beach that has been remodeled.

So it's lost. Here's my post about it:

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Also, here's a little content and I say this as someone who walked nearly every bit of walkable Roanoke beach from east/south part of the fort to the north/west part of the Elizabethan Gardens (which I enjoyed, btw): Cask 3 is out of play. There's nothing that looks like or matches Preiss's image. Whatever was "last touched or first seen standing" on those beaches and can be found hidden in that image was remodeled, demolished, or eroded. You can match every verse line [in the poem] starting at Kill Devil Hills and ending up on a beach on Fort Raleigh. And I walked it all, and there's nothing there to find anymore.

edit: found my favorite post from this thread, check the date:

ExtraNoise posted:

I think we're now closer than at any other point in this thread to actually finding something.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Oct 3, 2016

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Take this avatar, rotate it 180 degrees, mirror it, mark a point from the tip of the dogs noses and you will see it will line up to this image of the centaurs tail "exactly."
I've been looking into the cost of an approved dig. That means paying an archaeologist for his time, permit fees and incidentals. I have just three sites (in three cities) that I'd be willing to spend money on. Its probably the least risky and fastest way to get results given how long its taken people to come up with nothing in the shadows. I recall the multiple night digs that alwys seemed to fall short of being thorough. Digging deep enough or wide enough and shining a spotlight around a muddy hole for a glimpse of dirty plexiglas while in haste and fear of someone rolling up on me during an early morning jog or dog walk just hasnt been fruitful. The adventurousness of it all has lost its draw.

I'm not going to ask anyone to throw in with me, I'm sure I can afford it, but I'm curious to know if anyone else here has developed their solve(s) to the point that a precise dig spot justifies the legitimate procedure that would grant a proper and thorough treatment of their site. Anyone?

Viruswithshoes
Mar 26, 2007

Urban Smurf posted:

I've been looking into the cost of an approved dig. That means paying an archaeologist for his time, permit fees and incidentals. I have just three sites (in three cities) that I'd be willing to spend money on. Its probably the least risky and fastest way to get results given how long its taken people to come up with nothing in the shadows. I recall the multiple night digs that alwys seemed to fall short of being thorough. Digging deep enough or wide enough and shining a spotlight around a muddy hole for a glimpse of dirty plexiglas while in haste and fear of someone rolling up on me during an early morning jog or dog walk just hasnt been fruitful. The adventurousness of it all has lost its draw.

I'm not going to ask anyone to throw in with me, I'm sure I can afford it, but I'm curious to know if anyone else here has developed their solve(s) to the point that a precise dig spot justifies the legitimate procedure that would grant a proper and thorough treatment of their site. Anyone?

I've followed this thread from the beginning and while I don't have a theory, I really want somebody to post pics of a dig. I remember some goon dug a hole and posted some pictures of a rock he found but I'm intrigued to see actually where it is people go to dig.

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Take this avatar, rotate it 180 degrees, mirror it, mark a point from the tip of the dogs noses and you will see it will line up to this image of the centaurs tail "exactly."
The Adama did a hell of a good job taking day-ninja photos. I didn't attempt to take any pictures of my night digs.

Viruswithshoes
Mar 26, 2007

Urban Smurf posted:

The Adama did a hell of a good job taking day-ninja photos. I didn't attempt to take any pictures of my night digs.

Take a friend next time as a watchman/photographer

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

All my friends moved to Canada...

In the interest of discussion, I wanted to bring up some new Houston thoughts:

This image is subject to distortions from the fisheye of the google camera but I found it interesting to compare the relative size of the Sam Houston statue at a place that is a similar distance from the planetarium which I've had to estimate in size given it's obscured by trees. I think these two objects help to indicate a frame of reference at another point in the park, several points actually, given that we might be up against flip-flop of North/South or East/West perspectives.

Based on the relative size of the planetarium, we might consider any of these blue circles as options, but adding in the size of the Sam Houston statue at a distance, and perhaps those closest to the tilted stones of the Miller Outdoor Theater. It all depends on what we choose to take into account as we decide on the correct paradigm used for this puzzle location.

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

I found a reasonably good looking confirmation clue of something by holding a mirror along the left edge of image8 in Houston, thus completing the other half of what typifies a clear case of the vanishing point perspective.

Its still somewhat subtle, but much larger than what would be considered a small coincidence. I'm curious to see if anyone can find it before I post the visual comparison to a photograph of the landmark.

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Its not a great match, but it might qualify as an "I sort of see it". I would think it would be more exact and not morphed if it were seriously intended to be a not-too-difficult puzzle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viruswithshoes
Mar 26, 2007

It's a nice idea but a bit obtuse. Something that distinctive would surely be better replicated in the drawing