Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

SeanBeansShako posted:

I wouldn't shed a tear if they stopped doing the stage rotating gimmick.

Once a show for the final round would be fine, but you could tell even they were struggling to make it amusing for the fourth or fifth time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Lemon posted:

Once a show for the final round would be fine, but you could tell even they were struggling to make it amusing for the fourth or fifth time

A single spin would be decent, I do hope they look for other gimmicks. That last round with the human controllers was brilliant. More of that please.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

The Big Taff Man posted:

Hold on to your joysticks is a great catchphrase
do you even game

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010
Just finished bingwatching Fleabag.

Wow. That got very emotional. What a fantastic show.

oceanside
Nov 4, 2009
I'm hoping you guys can help me out with some reccomendations. I've been re-watching a lot of my favourite British comedy series lately and it's quite apparent from what I enjoy that what I like best are "cringe comedies".

Is there anything missing from my list?

Anything Gervais (The Office, Extras, Life's Too Short, Derek)
Anything Alan Partridge
Anything that Chris Morris or Armando Iannuci have touched (from the obvious 90s classics to The Thick of It)
Peep Show
The Inbetweeners
Detectorists
Black Books (to an extent, in some places)
Phoenix Nights (again, to an extent)

I did try Nighty Night out a few weeks ago but didn't dig it all that much.

Anyone else got any suggestions?

Cheers in advance!

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

oceanside posted:

I'm hoping you guys can help me out with some reccomendations. I've been re-watching a lot of my favourite British comedy series lately and it's quite apparent from what I enjoy that what I like best are "cringe comedies".

Anything Alan Partridge
Anything that Chris Morris or Armando Iannuci have touched (from the obvious 90s classics to The Thick of It)
Peep Show
The Inbetweeners
Detectorists

Cheers in advance!

I think Garth Marenghi's Darkplace would qualify? It's maybe more absurdist rather than straight cringe but the comedy is centred around a hack sub-Stephen King author showing you the consummate dumpster-fire 1980s action horror series he wrote and starred in that he is convinced is a neglected gem. I think more importantly than strict comedy genre classification it would jibe with the stuff you're into.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Fresh Meat is pretty cringey, a lot of the time. Certainly more than Black Books.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

GimpChimp posted:

I think Garth Marenghi's Darkplace would qualify? It's maybe more absurdist rather than straight cringe but the comedy is centred around a hack sub-Stephen King author showing you the consummate dumpster-fire 1980s action horror series he wrote and starred in that he is convinced is a neglected gem. I think more importantly than strict comedy genre classification it would jibe with the stuff you're into.

Mike stared in disbelief as his hands fell off. From them rose millions of tiny maggots. Maggots!? Maggots. Maggots. Maggots. Maggots. ...Maggots. All over the floor of the post office, in Leytonstone.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
we had a lot of fun watching Man Down, and Friday Night Dinner, both of which are on 4od.

Doug Sisk
Sep 11, 2001

oceanside posted:

Anything Alan Partridge
Peep Show
The Inbetweeners
Detectorists

Cheers in advance!

May be worth looking at 15 storeys high

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Red Dwarf, Blackadder, Spaced, Annually Retentive, Drop the Dead Donkey, Fist of Fun/This Morning with Richard Not Judy, Fast Show, Father Ted, KYTV, Look Around You, Posh Nosh, Smack The Pony, The Trip, Twenty Twelve.

Not everything holds up, but hey.

Make sure with the Armando thing you don't slip out on The Friday/Saturday Night Armistice. Still miss that dearly.

E: doh I missed the words 'cringe comedies' when I read the post. Most of mine don't really fall under that description :/

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Sep 11, 2016

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

Ive always though PhoneShop was very underrated and really funny. So, you know, try that too.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
A Touch Of Cloth. Phone shop is not good

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I remember thinking at the time that Phone Shop was the worst thing I'd ever seen, but I'm sure something even unfunnier has come out since.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Probably not a cringe comedy but if we are talking about ones that are underrated, I really liked The Smoking Room. It won a BAFTA but I don't recall it making any kind of impact, no-one I know even heard of it.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

EL BROMANCE posted:

I remember thinking at the time that Phone Shop was the worst thing I'd ever seen, but I'm sure something even unfunnier has come out since.

Only that Plebs show comes to mind

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

EL BROMANCE posted:

Badults springs to mind. And gently caress the lot of you, PhoneShop was great.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

PhoneShop is great. Weirdly, I hated it when it first came out too, then I rewatched it last year on a whim and now I love it.

Plus it has a few episodes with Kayvan Novak guest starring and he steals every scene he's in.

Badults is the worst thing broadcast in the UK for a loving LONG time.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
thanks for the Go 8 Bit recommendation,
that was a lot of fun.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
+1 for The Smoking Room. Pretty underrated.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

oceanside posted:

Anything Alan Partridge
Peep Show
The Inbetweeners
Detectorists

Cheers in advance!

Friday Night Dinner. Also, if you liked some of Phoenix Nights, you might like That Peter Kay Thing which is a variety of characters.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
Echoing what someone else said about Fresh Meat getting pretty cringey in places.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Man Down is fantastic too. Greg Davies is a treasure.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Bogmonster posted:

Badults springs to mind. And gently caress the lot of you, PhoneShop was great.

Lee Nelson's Well Good Show is the worst thing I've ever seen in my life

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
What was the other one that came from the internet and was insufferably awful?

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

(Not in response to the post above)

W1A is good and often shifts from wacky to cringe unexpectedly.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

oceanside posted:

Siblings is very cringeworthy, though not especially great otherwise. Wasted was on E4 recently and had a fair few cringey moments per episode (and more entertaining than Siblings).

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Man Down is fantastic too. Greg Davies is a treasure.

He totally is (Except Cuckoo that is not very good.)

Fleabag is cringe comedy. And excellent.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
oceanside you should watch Two Pints of Lager And A Packet of Crisps, sounds like it's right up your street

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Complete Jonathan Creek just appeared on Netflix.

I'm not sure which is the silliest so far - the locked room shooting where the killer bricks himself up in the wall or the dead woman in the wardrobe who scooby dooed her way round the flat, then conveniently dies of a delayed concussion.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Lemon posted:

Probably not a cringe comedy but if we are talking about ones that are underrated, I really liked The Smoking Room. It won a BAFTA but I don't recall it making any kind of impact, no-one I know even heard of it.

Largely underrated. Though I'm trying to think of the last show whose concept was made inert so soon after being made.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

DrVenkman posted:

Largely underrated. Though I'm trying to think of the last show whose concept was made inert so soon after being made.

'The Smoking Shelter' could have legs.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

oceanside posted:

"cringe comedies"

Grandma's House.
A Simon Amstel vehicle on the BBC. Only 2 series but both aces.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Im strongly of the opinion that shooting stars is still the best thing on telly ever.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Ideal has some cringe moments, Psycho Paul and his 'gang' are cloud of it.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
People Just Do Nothing is certainly cringe in places and I love it. Really good to see it doing so well, my friend works on the show.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

SeanBeansShako posted:

Ideal has some cringe moments, Psycho Paul and his 'gang' are cloud of it.
Ideal is loving awesome and should be widely recognised for being so.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Gorn Myson posted:

Ideal is loving awesome and should be widely recognised for being so.

Yeah it was fantastic, if you've still not seen Ideal yet get around to doing so.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I will never stop recommending We Are Klang, the TV version of the Edinburgh Fringe show of the same name by Greg Davies, Steve Hall and Marek Larwood.

It ran on BBC3 for six episodes in 2009 and will probably never see release on DVD. Last I checked it was all uploaded to youtube, but there's a torrent with much higher quality video floating around if you're into that sort of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
https://twitter.com/BBCBreaking/status/775381846179872768