Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

AlphaKretin posted:

JRPGs just inherit the term from their history of ripping off DnD, more often than not you're not actually playing a self-insert role like you tend to in WRPGs.

I think the way JRPGs happened as a genre almost completely separate from western RPGs is kind of interesting. When DnD hit big in Japan, gamers there far preferred dungeon-crawling to more roleplay-focused campaigns. That then started manifesting in the early JRPGs like Dragon Quest being very different from contemporary western RPGs like Wizardry, and then became further removed until the point where the main programmer didn't even know what an RPG was, and just made a Dragon Quest competitor. Then of course Final Fantasy exploded, and the genre really blossomed out of attempts to copy that. When gaming developed further to the point they could start telling stories, while western RPGs still had tabletop roots strong enough that they started using them as a basis (Fallout started as a homebrew post-apocalyptic ruleset, while Elder Scrolls was one of the developers' campaign settings), JRPGs built up from scratch and came up with something entirely different.

They've basically always been entirely different genres, they just happened to have the same roots. Although you could argue that in some areas they've started drifting closer; as far as story structure goes there's not much separating modern Shin Megami Tensei games from modern Bioware games.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 09:14 on Sep 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop
It was an obvious joke at a post that contrasted RPGs and Mario you loving nerds. Video game RPGs are pretty much the same across the board regardless of whether they're J or not. W/C/whatever RPGs just give you the ability to create a character that is functionally identical to any other character in terms of how the game plays out. Unless you're like that loving dork earlier in the thread who posted about how he likes to pretend to be Doctor Who when he plays Fallout.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

I'd play Uncharted with this Drake

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

It was an obvious joke at a post that contrasted RPGs and Mario you loving nerds. Video game RPGs are pretty much the same across the board regardless of whether they're J or not. W/C/whatever RPGs just give you the ability to create a character that is functionally identical to any other character in terms of how the game plays out. Unless you're like that loving dork earlier in the thread who posted about how he likes to pretend to be Doctor Who when he plays Fallout.

I am that loving dork. Except I didn't say that, I used Doctor Who as a comparison point for how I play a certain staple character of mine.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I think he's just called "the doctor." But, do you have a link to that post? That's crazy.

E: oh poo poo waddup

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Cleretic posted:

I am that loving dork. Except I didn't say that, I used Doctor Who as a comparison point for how I play a certain staple character of mine.

:laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo:

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Maybe RPGs aren't for you if you can't handle that other people play games differently

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
There's a pretty big gulf between different playstyles and getting strangely uptight because the game doesn't accommodate specific roleplaying scenarios.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

poptart_fairy posted:

There's a pretty big gulf between different playstyles and getting strangely uptight because the game doesn't accommodate specific roleplaying scenarios.

Look if I can't have all my sexualities, races and genders (including all those listed on my tumblr) the game programmers clearly are just hiding in their comfort zone and enforcing their definition of "the norm" on us.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop
Even if you pretend you're Doctor Who in Fallout, that has every bit as much impact on how the game actually plays out as pretending that Tidus is actually Doctor Who and Lulu and Rikku are secretly loving.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

poptart_fairy posted:

Yeah, let me see about that 'specific roleplaying scenario.' Oh, here it is. "Sort of a Doctor Who-esque 'manic but benevolent' character. All this requires is that I be allowed to be both clever and a bit nuts. Even Oblivion managed that." Seems really hard for a loving sci-fi series to accommodate that!

Leal posted:

Look if I can't have all my sexualities, races and genders (including all those listed on my tumblr) the game programmers clearly are just hiding in their comfort zone and enforcing their definition of "the norm" on us.

Why stop there, dipshit? If the developers allow any players to play a non-aryan non-male character, they're clearly trying to sneak messages of (((multiculturalism))) and (((feminism))) into what has always been and always should be a safe space for white men! We need to drive out these developers and ensure a safe space for our children. Join poptart_fairy's friendzone group today!

Even if you pretend you're Doctor Who in Fallout, that has every bit as much impact on how the game actually plays out as pretending that Tidus is actually Doctor Who and Lulu and Rikku are secretly loving.

Play Fallout 2.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

poptart_fairy posted:

My issue there was specifically that that character's playstyle, which is basically 'find something weird and interesting and pursue that', didn't look like it was going to be catered to in Fallout 4. It was a valid concern, the same approach failed in Mass Effect, but Fallout was especially very good for it historically, because it did present a lot of esoteric alternative solutions to things.

I bought Fallout 4 anyway, and was proven right when the game had a grand total of one small area where you could pursue options beyond 'shoot something' and 'speech check' (and in many of those cases, 'speech check' meant 'shoot something but get more money for it').

For what it's worth, it was always an invalid comparison anyway, because the Doctor solves most things by talking at them, while I preferred to poke some weird thing in the corner of the room or somehow use my absurdly high Repair skill to solve the problem.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Cleretic posted:

My issue there was specifically that that character's playstyle, which is basically 'find something weird and interesting and pursue that', didn't look like it was going to be catered to in Fallout 4. It was a valid concern, the same approach failed in Mass Effect, but Fallout was especially very good for it historically, because it did present a lot of esoteric alternative solutions to things.

Right, but you went on for multiple paragraphs about it without ever playing the game, hence why people thought it weird. "Find something weird and interesting and pursue that" has always been a staple of Bethesda games, so a Doctor Who tangent was...eh.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Why did I have to look for a Water-Chip in Fallout 1, I didn't care so why is it forcing me to? And having to look for a GECK and my tribe in 2 went against my headcanon as a vault-born champion boxer!

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Somfin posted:

Play Fallout 2.

I have and the game plays out the same regardless of what pretend scenarios I have going on in my head?????

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Somfin posted:

Yeah, let me see about that 'specific roleplaying scenario.' Oh, here it is. "Sort of a Doctor Who-esque 'manic but benevolent' character. All this requires is that I be allowed to be both clever and a bit nuts. Even Oblivion managed that." Seems really hard for a loving sci-fi series to accommodate that!

Why stop there, dipshit? If the developers allow any players to play a non-aryan non-male character, they're clearly trying to sneak messages of (((multiculturalism))) and (((feminism))) into what has always been and always should be a safe space for white men! We need to drive out these developers and ensure a safe space for our children. Join poptart_fairy's friendzone group today!

Play Fallout 2.

When did this become some sort of gamer gate rant, I'm responding to people acting like its some conspiracy by whitey to keep game protagonists white instead of changing the color values of their skin and not just they don't care and make them white cause for the most part thats their audience :shrug:

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

I have and the game plays out the same regardless of what pretend scenarios I have going on in my head?????

Try playing a different character with a different skill set and respond to inputs differently. You might be surprised how much the game accommodates you!

Croccers posted:

Why did I have to look for a Water-Chip in Fallout 1, I didn't care so why is it forcing me to? And having to look for a GECK and my tribe in 2 went against my headcanon as a vault-born champion boxer!

It's not the game's fault that you don't know the difference between 'personality' and 'motivation.'

Leal posted:

When did this become some sort of gamer gate rant, I'm responding to people acting like its some conspiracy by whitey to keep game protagonists white instead of changing the color values of their skin and not just they don't care and make them white cause for the most part thats their audience :shrug:

Cause and effect are wonderful things to examine. "Most of our protagonists have historically been white, and most of our audience is now white... obviously we should keep making white protagonists to accommodate them!"

Somfin has a new favorite as of 10:06 on Sep 11, 2016

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Somfin posted:

Try playing a different character with a different skill set and respond to inputs differently. You might be surprised how much the game accommodates you!

It's not the game's fault that you don't know the difference between 'personality' and 'motivation.'

:laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo:

E: no matter how hard I play pretend, Fallout 2 will not let me enter the TARDIS and travel to another time on another planet

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Somfin posted:

Cause and effect are wonderful things to examine. "Most of our protagonists have historically been white, and most of our audience is now white... obviously we should keep making white protagonists to accommodate them!"

Well yeah, thats capitalism.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Sombrero Guy, simmer down. you made your points about what u want. seriously, redtext callouts? that's incredibly bitchmade. if you're gonna start swinging at every person whose opinion you don't like, then don't keep derailing.

I can't believe we're going back to the fallout 4 Dr Who bullshit. :cripes:

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost
e: You're right, and I'm sorry.

e2: Those redtexts were there when I got here, I've bought exactly one avatar in my history on this site and that was for myself. And it wasn't this one.

Somfin has a new favorite as of 10:26 on Sep 11, 2016

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Action Tortoise posted:

Sombrero Guy, simmer down. you made your points about what u want. seriously, redtext callouts? that's incredibly bitchmade. if you're gonna start swinging at every person whose opinion you don't like, then don't keep derailing.

I can't believe we're going back to the fallout 4 Dr Who bullshit. :cripes:

Oh no I was red texted by someone from the SA Cards Against Humanity games who got sick of our in-jokes.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Leal posted:

So I have to ask, if they're just writing a person and not a racial person, why does it matter what color their skin is?
That's a really complex question to answer properly, but to oversimplify, people relate to characters in fiction and that influences how they perceive and judge people in real life. When the vast majority of, say, action heroes are white men it basically creates and reinforces a perception that being tough and heroic are qualities inherent to white men. It also subtly tells people who are not white and male that this media is not for them. It's bad both in that it's mean to shut people out like that (both from the media in question and from being seen as capable of those roles in real life), and in that it's bad marketing to unnecessarily restrict your audience like that.

Leal posted:

No one said it was a conspiracy. It's not a conspiracy. But when it comes to the end result, it doesn't matter if it's happening by concerted effort or by unintentional confluence, it only matters that it's happening.

Leal posted:

Well yeah, thats capitalism.
You say that like as though that makes it OK?

Xythe
Aug 4, 2010

Stop getting mad at video games. No stop insulting his mother what is wrong with you.
Goddamn, this is the "small things that annoy me in generally okay video games" thread. If you want to talk about how Nathan Drake kills people but the game treats it as okay and you notice how that doesn't mesh with the overall storytelling, there are other threads for that poo poo. This thread is, as of late, 1/4 people bringing up annoying things then the other 3/4 are people saying how racist or intolerant you are for not understanding how DEEP THE GAME IS AND HOW DARE YOU TALK poo poo ABOUT IT. I wish I had a better ending to this statement, but just loving jesus christ this is absolutely the worst place to bring that poo poo up.

E: Looking at my bookmarked threads this used to be one of my favorites but is quickly becoming a thread I do not want to follow anymore. I don't read GBS threads for a reason.

Xythe has a new favorite as of 15:55 on Sep 11, 2016

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So, there's a new end game area in World of Warcraft called Suramar - it's basically a high magic area where the elves there are living under the fist of demons. This sets up a great idea where you have to use stealth and disguises to get around, with frequent rooftop visits, but in practise you slap on a single disguise and pray the dozens of detection guards don't run into you from one of the hundreds of blind spots. You can't see how far a guard's detection radius is until they've actually detected you, and by that point it's too late; characters simply don't run fast enough to get out of the way unless you were halfway to escape in the first place.

By itself this wouldn't be bad, but the city is one of the most densely populated locations in the entire game. When combat starts you'll be mobbed by seven hostile guards and more quickly join in due to how many AOE effects are going off. It's such a fantastic idea but the implementation is really, really hamstrung by lacking any "proper" stealth mechanics.

Oh no I was red texted by someone from the SA Cards Against Humanity games who got sick of our in-jokes.

I was red texted for saying the exact opposite it implies, lol

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Back on topic, a thing that annoys me about Phoenix Wright games despite the fact that I overall love them, is that there is rarely a competent judge. Even if he turns out to be evil, give a unique judge. We've had heroic and villainous super-cops, super-defense attorneys and super-prosecutors, give a super-judge at some point. Someone who can call out the prosecutors on their nonsense in the same way as literally every other role has had a superhero/supervillain at least once. Von Karma tries her usual thing and ends up getting charged after the trial with assaulting the judge and contempt of court, and having to sit the game out in the Det Centre because the judge wants her out of the way for his ~schemes~ I don't know. Mix it up.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

BioEnchanted posted:

Back on topic, a thing that annoys me about Phoenix Wright games despite the fact that I overall love them, is that there is rarely a competent judge. Even if he turns out to be evil, give a unique judge. We've had heroic and villainous super-cops, super-defense attorneys and super-prosecutors, give a super-judge at some point. Someone who can call out the prosecutors on their nonsense in the same way as literally every other role has had a superhero/supervillain at least once. Von Karma tries her usual thing and ends up getting charged after the trial with assaulting the judge and contempt of court, and having to sit the game out in the Det Centre because the judge wants her out of the way for his ~schemes~ I don't know. Mix it up.

Have you played the fan translation of Investigations 2? Obviously it doesn't actually take place in the courtroom, but it has a unique judge as a character (and is a fantastic AA game in its own right).

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
If I can get an emulator working I'll play it. THanks for the tip.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Leal posted:

Do you really want these white people who are apparently "Incapable of leaving their comfort zone" trying to write for a non white character? How would they even do that without being called racists or pandering?

You get death threats for nerfing items in games already, why would this be any different?

Also I'd love to play the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air or Urkel in a video game, so I'd welcome any attempts made as long as they manage to not hit the first stumbling block of giving every black character a permanently equipped basketball or watermelon.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Thoughtless posted:

The problem with Fallout 4 specifically doing that is that it's ostensibly an RPG, and in RPGs it's kinda important to not have dumb stuff forced on you, or it might ruin the whole RP aspect.

It doesn't matter what the protagonist is in most other genres. Mario would be the same game even if he was a black dude rescuing his boyfriend.

It's a role playing game. You have a role to play. Ta da.

Or: You are given a predicament, you are left to role play your way out of it. It's fine. Every game forces you into a story.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

RareAcumen posted:

-Fresh Prince of Bel-Air
-no permanently equipped basketball

why

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I read a thing by a game developer years ago that said they don't necessarily make grizzled white men with goatees the main character because that's all they know how to do, but because if they stray from that then players whinge, so they go with the character look that results in least whinging.

steinrokkan posted:

It's a role playing game. You have a role to play. Ta da.
In that sense is every game with a playable character not a role playing game?

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

tbh nexusmods has make playing as a female character quite desirable over the past 10 years or so

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
It's been a while since I lurked the awful/awesome mods thread, but I've always been amused about how every mod I've seen posted from the nexus has the most depraved pornagraphic content, but everything I've seen from dragonporn.com is the goofiest poo poo like summoning a bear with a lute playing power metal.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I just go to whichever mod site has the latest "Phil the Sky" version.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

2house2fly posted:

In that sense is every game with a playable character not a role playing game?

Even I know not to engage with this line of argument. It's an unassailably pedantic stance based on a literal reading of the name of the genre. It wins by extracting all context and history from the terms. Turns out if you redefine every term in a discussion it's pretty easy to set up a win.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Somfin posted:

Even I know not to engage with this line of argument. It's an unassailably pedantic stance based on a literal reading of the name of the genre. It wins by extracting all context and history from the terms. Turns out if you redefine every term in a discussion it's pretty easy to set up a win.

Are people seriously shocked that developers pre-roll aspects of your character for you instead of either accounting for every tiny possibility or making the game more shallow by ignoring aspects of your character entirely?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

steinrokkan posted:

Are people seriously shocked that developers pre-roll aspects of your character for you instead of either accounting for every tiny possibility or making the game more shallow by ignoring aspects of your character entirely?

Of course not, sweetie. Like I said, you won the argument, literally every game with a character in it is a "role playing" game no matter how many choices or decisions the player is allowed to make, there is no meaningful difference between XCOM, Pillars of Eternity, Bayonetta and Super Mario World, well done.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Oh Jesus, you're right.

I've put so little thought into this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

It was just a bad example. If I were playing as the Fresh Prince I would expect and be offended if there wasn't a basketball. But if I were just playing as a random black person then you could complain if...OH MY GOD THE MAIN CHARACTER OF SYSTEM SHOCK 2 IS THE FRESH PRINCE! THAT EXPLAINS THE BASKETBALL!