Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Phoenix is a loser and the game would be better without him taking up screentime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I almost feel like case 4 could have been pretty good if it had more time. Outside of Uendo none of the characters really get a chance to shine or assert themselves. Though i'm glad Athena got a case, even if it wasn't super important they didn't have to use her and I think it shows the writers still think of her as an important character.

It still has some pretty good moments though, mostly from Simon. Him going on about how Western food is far inferior to Japanese noodles, and being really insistent about it being called "sake" not "rice wine" you uncultured fools. Him being forced to go on a lunch run for the courtroom was pretty great as well, and he even managed to use the old prosecution standby of manipulating the witness into giving benifical testimony for himself for the side of good this time. It was fun having him around. Blackquill, still the best prosecutor.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Case 5 Trial 2, and also a reference to AAI2: Ga'ran in fierce competition with Blaise Debeste for Parent of the Year, I see.

E: "It seems the Princess is more grown up than you thought" After all, she just made a dramatic announcement in the voice of a 20-30-something woman. :v:

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Sep 11, 2016

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Regy Rusty posted:

"Filler" cases are good

They should make a game with all "filler" cases

I don't think the distinction between "filler" and "plot important" cases was made until Trials and Tribulations. I mean yeah 1-4 has a HUGE impact on the rest of the series but they had to have some kind of grand finale for the first game. Trials and Tribulations was the first game to have an overarching plot besides "DL-6 happened". (Incidentally T&T owned a whole lot)

ROFL Octopus fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Sep 11, 2016

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Terper posted:

Phoenix is a loser and the game would be better without him taking up screentime

Phoenix is cool but I think he's better telling dad jokes from the sidelines cause Apollo is cooler and much more well-developed.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

I just finished Case 4, and I agree that it just felt weirdly out of place and unsatisfying despite having one of the best witnesses in the series. It also reminded me a bit too much of the aggressive handholding of Dual Destinies, right down to the assistant spoiling the final twist/question of the case with an incredibly unsubtle bit of wordplay.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Actually speaking of case four, I assumed all the spoken-of localisation trouble would be from the rakugo stuff, I bust a gut when I realised they had to make an anagram work too.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

So,I've been contemplating getting this game,but the thread seems divided on it. Like apparently the 4th case sucks? I've just gotten started on Dual Destinies, but I've really been enjoying it so far. Would I enjoy this?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

It's good, get it. The fourth doesn't suck, it's just underwhelming. I'll put the specifics in tags in case you want to go super blind but it's not a plot spoiler or anything. It's one trial day without an investigation, like any case 1.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

VolticSurge posted:

So,I've been contemplating getting this game,but the thread seems divided on it. Like apparently the 4th case sucks? I've just gotten started on Dual Destinies, but I've really been enjoying it so far. Would I enjoy this?

Yes. It's very good. Case 4 isn't even that bad it's just kind of in a weird place. It probably would've worked better earlier on in the game.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Case 4 is probably the strangest case in the series. It's just so... there.

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Yes. It's very good. Case 4 isn't even that bad it's just kind of in a weird place. It probably would've worked better earlier on in the game.

I think putting it earlier in the game wouldn't have worked. Some of the best moments of the case are the confrontations between Blackquill and Prosecutor Sad Monk, and for them to work well the character of Nayuta has to be estabilished beforehand. Putting it as case 2 would've weakened Nayuta's introduction, and as case 3 it would be massively reviled since it would delay Maya's return.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

lol (case 5) Inga's full name is Inga Karkhuul Haw'kohd Dis'nahm Bi'ahni Lawga Ormo Pohmpus Da'nit Ar'edi Iz Khura'in.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I finished Case 2

I'm glad the bunny sisters remain not-murderers and essentially crimeless. I liked them both, they were extremely cute.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Just started case 5. Dhurke is an incredibly cool dad and i like him a lot. I'm glad he and Trucy get along.

Also man, Apollo's real father. Revealed just like that. Case 5 don't mess around.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Case 3

I feel as though murdering all who oppose Maya would be entirely justified. Leave her alone!!!!!!!!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

VolticSurge posted:

So,I've been contemplating getting this game,but the thread seems divided on it.

How the hell do you read the thread and come to this conclusion

The game is fantastic

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Haha, late Case 5 really early in the game with the seemingly plot-important singing and dancing I joked to myself about FE Fates and now we're going after evil royalty practically called Garon

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Finished!

As an initial impression, I really enjoyed this one. Possibly my favourite since 3, even including Investigations 2. I was worried in some early parts that the series was drowning a bit in its depth of mythology and recurring characters, but it recovered from that really well and the last case is one of the strongest in a while.

Also pleased that they've continued the trend from DD of doing justice (ahem) to Apollo's character... though (major ending spoilers)I'm not sad to see him go; I think the series will benefit from going back to a slightly smaller core cast. Athena in particular really needs more space for development than she's had up to now.

Best character rankings:

3rd place: Betty(Case 2)
2nd place: Rayfa
1st place: Sarge(Case 5)

Honourable mention: Datz(Case 3)

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

NRVNQSR posted:

Finished!

As an initial impression, I really enjoyed this one. Possibly my favourite since 3, even including Investigations 2. I was worried in some early parts that the series was drowning a bit in its depth of mythology and recurring characters, but it recovered from that really well and the last case is one of the strongest in a while.

Also pleased that they've continued the trend from DD of doing justice (ahem) to Apollo's character... though (major ending spoilers)I'm not sad to see him go; I think the series will benefit from going back to a slightly smaller core cast. Athena in particular really needs more space for development than she's had up to now.

Best character rankings:

3rd place: Betty(Case 2)
2nd place: Rayfa
1st place: Sarge(Case 5)

Honourable mention: Datz(Case 3)

I wonder if/hope (end spoilers) Athena will get her own plucky teenage boy sidekick in Athena Cykes: Ace Attorney

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Terper posted:

lol (case 5) Inga's full name is Inga Karkhuul Haw'kohd Dis'nahm Bi'ahni Lawga Ormo Pohmpus Da'nit Ar'edi Iz Khura'in.

This is the ultimate stupid name pun, and the franchise can literally never top it. I vote for the rest of the games to pick their names out of the most common names book.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Amppelix posted:

This is the ultimate stupid name pun, and the franchise can literally never top it. I vote for the rest of the games to pick their names out of the most common names book.

What strikes me about all this is the parts of the Kuhra'in names that didn't change from Japanese. My instinct is that some should be transliterated with an "L" and not an "R" (Karukuuru sounds to my ears like Kalkuhl, and Garan like Gallan), but the translation just picks "R" every single time.

As for Inga's full name (and a lot of the rest of the Kuhra'inese names, in fact), the Japanese does something subtler. It's much more difficult to pin down the exact mangled Japanese words, and all the names somehow manage to sound ridiculous enough without screaming "this is a pun". For reference, he's Inga Karukuuru Kukuruura Rarupan Gijiiru Hofudaran Madara Vira Yashima Jakutieeru Kurain the 3rd (read those 'r's as 'l's if you feel like it)

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Oh my loving God whole game this game was Apollo Justice 3 and about his loving parents, and the game had a case about Trucy and the Gramaryes with a reference to Lamimoir, and he still hasn't been told about his relation to Trucy!

E: NEVER loving MIND HELLO STINGER

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Sep 11, 2016

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

orenronen posted:

What strikes me about all this is the parts of the Kuhra'in names that didn't change from Japanese. My instinct is that some should be transliterated with an "L" and not an "R" (Karukuuru sounds to my ears like Kalkuhl, and Garan like Gallan), but the translation just picks "R" every single time.

As for Inga's full name (and a lot of the rest of the Kuhra'inese names, in fact), the Japanese does something subtler. It's much more difficult to pin down the exact mangled Japanese words, and all the names somehow manage to sound ridiculous enough without screaming "this is a pun". For reference, he's Inga Karukuuru Kukuruura Rarupan Gijiiru Hofudaran Madara Vira Yashima Jakutieeru Kurain the 3rd (read those 'r's as 'l's if you feel like it)

Since you're a fan of this stuff, look at what they did with the case 4 defendant.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Terper posted:

I don't get it :saddowns:. All I see are "pompous" and maybe "darn it".

E: VVV :drat:

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Sep 11, 2016

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

AlphaKretin posted:

I don't get it :saddowns:. All I see are "pompous" and maybe "darn it".

How could this name be any longer or more pompous than it already is.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
case 3 day 2 investigation: BROTHERRRRRRRRRRRRR

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
case 3 day 2 investigation: you got all the dominant lawyer genes! i was stuck with the recessive prosecutor genes!

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

alcharagia posted:

case 3 day 2 investigation: you got all the dominant lawyer genes! i was stuck with the recessive prosecutor genes!

But Apollo is clearly Raiden? :confused:

E: gently caress I just realised something, Case 5 Endgame and 999: 999 is obviously the first thought when propagnosia comes up, but I just realised - Inga shoots Dhurke repeatedly in the chest out of panic, failing to kill him. And if Dhurke's arm isn't injured then, uh, what the hell. Come to think of it, incorrect assumptions are made about whether both characters in question are alive, and the truth is revealed by opening a coffin. This rules.

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Sep 11, 2016

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Case 5, Trial Day 2: PROSECUTOR TRANSFORMATION

drat Ga'ran is imposing. Her theme songs are really cool and ominous as well

I always like it when AA games have a different final boss prosecutor. :twisted:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Case 3

Vintage obtuse Ace Attorney. The warning letter to the high priest is correct, the envelope it came in is not. Surely, considering they're really the same item, they should make either of those things the correct answer.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

It took me a total of 34 hours and 36 minutes to beat SoJ, with an average play time of, uh, 34 hours and 36 minutes.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Hey, I've got 34 hours and one minute!

For a somewhat interesting comparison, my Dual Destinies playtime is 28 and a half hours, and that includes the DLC. They made a really meaty game this time around.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

My DD time is at 50 hours but that's because I replayed it and picked all the wrong choices for the funny dialogue.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

There's a generic leitmotif in this game that's Banjo-Kazooie as gently caress and I love it.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Terper posted:

My DD time is at 50 hours but that's because I replayed it and picked all the wrong choices for the funny dialogue.

For example: case 2 in SoJ

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

There's a generic leitmotif in this game that's Banjo-Kazooie as gently caress and I love it.

Is it this one?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1b_7kq9CdPI

I love it too, and I also love every character it plays with.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Case 5, Trial Day 2: Haha who'd have thought that playing 999 would prepare me for a major plot point in an AA game 6 years later. I guessed that Inga had prosopagnosia as soon as I saw his notes, and now here's the insight with a faceless Dhurke.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Regy Rusty posted:

Case 5, Trial Day 2: Haha who'd have thought that playing 999 would prepare me for a major plot point in an AA game 6 years later. I guessed that Inga had prosopagnosia as soon as I saw his notes, and now here's the insight with a faceless Dhurke.

The first tell is that he actually doesn't recognize Phoenix in Case 3 until Phoenix announces himself as the lawyer from Case 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
ohshiiiiit case 3 trial day 2 the killing actually happened in the hideout gently caress what does that even mean shitttt