Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

:chloe: :chloe:

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Sep 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Tynan really should have some quality control over the backer colonists.

Although he would likely treat anything like that as censorship and cry free speech.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

is it time for this week's emmie conversation already, goodness how time flies

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
idk if this is something people have talked to death but I'm not a big fan of one of my colonist's occupations being "sex slave"

seemingly with no way to change it??

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Sep 11, 2016

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
kill her then jeez

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
You can just click randomize and it disappears

Nullkigan
Jul 3, 2009
It's something a lot of people don't like, but seems to have come from a backer so we're kind of stuck with it until there's a blacklist for colonists like Emmie (and to a lesser extent, Min the popstar who is useless at everything and used to appear every single game).

However, it's a PAST occupation. There are also other victims like child soldiers, orphans, indentured labourers, etc., plus giant assholes like bounty hunters, violent ex-con escapees, military commissars, etc. Different backgrounds might make you feel uncomfortable, but think of it as trying to build them a better future maybe?

Nullkigan fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Sep 11, 2016

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Min is fine because she will sit there and churn out endless artwork for you to sell and get loving rich off of.

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

Yeah, Min is a stand-out at my current colony, was one of the original trio and not only had pretty good cooking skills, but also shadowed as a junior doctor for when my main surgeon got himself into a bit of a pickle, like getting beaten up comatose by my resident psychopath cannibal :(

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013
I had a fourteen year old version of Emmie Spawn.

It actually turned out pretty loving hilarious, in a seriously FUBAR kind of way.

Basically her 60 something husband showed up and we killed him, then she went sleeping around and breaking hearts causing numerous colonists to take mood hits.

On reflection she was the primary catalyst for the downfall of the colony.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Nullkigan posted:

It's something a lot of people don't like, but seems to have come from a backer so we're kind of stuck with it until there's a blacklist for colonists like Emmie (and to a lesser extent, Min the popstar who is useless at everything and used to appear every single game).

However, it's a PAST occupation. There are also other victims like child soldiers, orphans, indentured labourers, etc., plus giant assholes like bounty hunters, violent ex-con escapees, military commissars, etc. Different backgrounds might make you feel uncomfortable, but think of it as trying to build them a better future maybe?

Those other victim occupations aren't really designed for whoever had it added to the game to wank over though

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Slime posted:

Those other victim occupations aren't really designed for whoever had it added to the game to wank over though

Now I'm tempted to slap a couple hunnid down on making a backerstory for a male gigolo slave.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I mean, regardless of anything I'd like to be able to change the occupation names just so that you could make them more in line with what they're doing at your colony.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

Famethrowa posted:

First thing that struck me is how happy people are. How are you getting so much joy?
In a nutshell, they sleep in Superior or better beds, get 4 hours of joy time after work every day, and all of my workstations have a comfy alpaca wool chair that they sit in while they do their jobs. The comfort stat is one that's really easy to max if you provide your colonists with chairs while they work. Having an impressive dining room and a clean environment helps too.

I've got quite a few couples in the colony too, so most of them are getting the Got Some Lovin' boost. There's one love triangle with a guy and two women that leaves me with one person who always wants to be sleeping with another; I make him sleep with his wife, his mistress can pine after him all she wants.

Here's a recent screenshot with some of the mood boosts. There are a couple unhappy colonists here. Sawyer's just upset because he hasn't eaten yet and I'm out of veggies to make fine meals with currently. Rocko's in a lot of pain because he just got his rear end handed to him by a bear while hunting; thankfully no limbs were lost.

As an aside, grwing devilstrand with a short growing season sucks. It takes forever even with the soil tilling mod pushing the growth rate to 200%. Even then I have to manually tell my colonists to harvest them early before the first snowfall and take whatever I can get.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Am I some kind of loser nerd for always giving my colonies real, sensible names?

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Squeegy posted:

Am I some kind of loser nerd for always giving my colonies real, sensible names?

i just let the colonists name them

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

NatasDog posted:

In a nutshell, they sleep in Superior or better beds, get 4 hours of joy time after work every day, and all of my workstations have a comfy alpaca wool chair that they sit in while they do their jobs.

Ahhh. I never even thought they would be able to sit and work.

My issue seems to be getting consistent work done. Early game colonies are really hard to find a balance between hauling and constructing or crafting. Does joy increase work speed too?

edit: also, a mod that skips sleep time like in the Sims would be super

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
I put together an imgur album to share my temperature management learnings: The thermodynamics of Rimworld

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

NatasDog posted:

As an aside, grwing devilstrand with a short growing season sucks. It takes forever even with the soil tilling mod pushing the growth rate to 200%. Even then I have to manually tell my colonists to harvest them early before the first snowfall and take whatever I can get.

Wall in a growing area, give it a sun lamp, and put some heaters in the room and they can grow year round!

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

Squeegy posted:

I always try to find the balance between a double entendre and a real sounding place name.

Current colony is Scrobbler's Notch, population 7. Previous colony was Gwuntville, but they had an unfortunate outbreak of angry pigs.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

GenericOverusedName posted:

Wall in a growing area, give it a sun lamp, and put some heaters in the room and they can grow year round!

No sun lamps, playing medieval. The braziers can get me to 50% light though, but it's obviously slow growing. In my normal colonies that's exactly what I do though, the tilled soil is way better than hydroponics.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

Famethrowa posted:

Ahhh. I never even thought they would be able to sit and work.

My issue seems to be getting consistent work done. Early game colonies are really hard to find a balance between hauling and constructing or crafting. Does joy increase work speed too?

edit: also, a mod that skips sleep time like in the Sims would be super

It takes a lot of priority juggling early game. One thing about having distinct seasons is you can neglect construction, mining, crafting, etc. during the growing season, then in the winter you can concentrate on those things.

Nighttime hours I use my night owls to catch up on cleaning and hauling.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Zhentar posted:

I put together an imgur album to share my temperature management learnings: The thermodynamics of Rimworld

Chucking that in the OP.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

Squeegy posted:

The surgery is pants-on-head retarded in this game. Literally, your surgeons are so stupid they probably wear their pants on their head. Doesn't matter how much skill in medicine they have, how good the medicine they're using is, or how brightly-lit and sterile the operating environment is. They will empty your patient's abdominal cavity while trying to fit them for a hook hand, because Tynan demands it.

I don't mind the hilarious consequences for amateur surgery, I think the more general problem is that the high skill levels for some skills don't seem to give the benefits that the skill descriptions imply. Skills that use workstations (and construction) just progressively decrease the time tasks take and increase the chances for a high quality output, which works fine, but the one that stands out as most broken to me is actually shooting. My best marksman might be a 'planet-class master' or a 'visionary' and carry an excellent sniper rifle but they will still miss 70 or 80 percent of the shots they take.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jamsque posted:

I don't mind the hilarious consequences for amateur surgery, I think the more general problem is that the high skill levels for some skills don't seem to give the benefits that the skill descriptions imply. Skills that use workstations (and construction) just progressively decrease the time tasks take and increase the chances for a high quality output, which works fine, but the one that stands out as most broken to me is actually shooting. My best marksman might be a 'planet-class master' or a 'visionary' and carry an excellent sniper rifle but they will still miss 70 or 80 percent of the shots they take.

The way that works is that the game calculates your chance to hit the target, then subtracts the weapon's accuracy (sniper rifles aren't actually that accurate, just long ranged, survival rifles max out accuracy much easier) to illustrate that no amount of aiming can make an inaccurate gun shoot better. Then it subtracts cover, which is always effective and can't be enitrely overcome by better shooting. Same with poor lighting conditions and lying down bonuses.

I think if you manage to get shooting accuracy at greater than 100% then you could start to overcome these modifiers but by default shooting skill just moves you closer to 100% accuracy.

A level 20 shooter using a 100% accurate gun should hit almost every shot against a standing target, in the open, in daylight.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Sep 11, 2016

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I shot off a tribesperson's leg, so I captured+recruited them, gave them a pegleg, set them to constant cleaning duty and named them Torgo.

doot-doo-doo-doo doot-doo-doo-doo

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010
When I got emmie, I just assumed she managed to escape her horrible life to start anew.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
Are there any essential management mods I should grab for this before I start playing it? I've heard mixed reports about how tedious the micromanagement is.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Seashell Salesman posted:

Are there any essential management mods I should grab for this before I start playing it? I've heard mixed reports about how tedious the micromanagement is.

I like work tab. Technically it adds even more micromanagement when setting schedules, but results in less manual priority overriding later

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

Nullkigan posted:

This would be a fine explanation if that past occupation didn't prevent them from doing whole categories of work for the rest of their lives.

Looking at you, medieval lord background! I don't give a poo poo who you were on your last world, you wanted to live, you shoulda gotten out into those fields like everyone else. :colbert:

Actually my last medieval lord was the last man standing in his colony, and the cause of its demise. Poor bastard tried to tame an elephant from the middle of a herd. They tore off both his arms and left him in shock while they battered down the walls of my colony and murdered everyone else.

He somehow survived and wandered back home to find everyone dead or dying. Incapable of manipulation, and anyway morally opposed to physical labor, he watched helplessly as his fellow colonists died in agony in the hallway, then went into a berserk rage, headbutting a nearby cassowary until it scratched him to death.

RIP you useless parasite.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

Seashell Salesman posted:

Colony manager is pretty awesome once you figure out the terrible ui. Being able to set thresholds for things like meat and wood early on is great, and the fact that it splits your crafting jobs across tables it's nice, not too mention that it remembers them after you move/upgrade them.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

The way that works is that the game calculates your chance to hit the target, then subtracts the weapon's accuracy (sniper rifles aren't actually that accurate, just long ranged, survival rifles max out accuracy much easier) to illustrate that no amount of aiming can make an inaccurate gun shoot better. Then it subtracts cover, which is always effective and can't be enitrely overcome by better shooting. Same with poor lighting conditions and lying down bonuses.

I think if you manage to get shooting accuracy at greater than 100% then you could start to overcome these modifiers but by default shooting skill just moves you closer to 100% accuracy.

A level 20 shooter using a 100% accurate gun should hit almost every shot against a standing target, in the open, in daylight.

So am I better off sending a guy with a survival rifle to harass raids then? I just had the experience of a colonist with a sniper rifle shooting at a raid for the entire span between their arrival and assault, and scoring a hit only once.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Reztes posted:

This would be a fine explanation if that past occupation didn't prevent them from doing whole categories of work for the rest of their lives.
I just care about the job titles following their names on the Work tab not matching up with what they actually do at all

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

People who won't do dumb labour will not be treated as people.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
The sniper rifle has two main advantages: an extra 8 tiles of range (which is really only an advantage if your pawn's shooting skill is >10, below that the extra tiles hurt your accuracy too much), and 40 points of damage - which is enough to destroy any unarmored human body part, making it significantly more likely that a hit disables/kills your target, while with the survival rifle it will usually take more total inflicted damage before any one body part gets taken out.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Of course, if you want to recruit people you might not want to blow their limbs off. At least not early on.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

Jamsque posted:

So am I better off sending a guy with a survival rifle to harass raids then? I just had the experience of a colonist with a sniper rifle shooting at a raid for the entire span between their arrival and assault, and scoring a hit only once.

I think volume of fire counts for more than anything. Just put as much lead downrange as possible and make sure none of your own colonists get in the way of it. At least that's what's worked for me so far, YMMV.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Reztes posted:

Looking at you, medieval lord background! I don't give a poo poo who you were on your last world, you wanted to live, you shoulda gotten out into those fields like everyone else. :colbert:

Based on what I've read about actual medieval nobility, I can actually picture Richard II starving to death next to a ripe unharvested field of carrots because he couldn't find a servant to dig them up for him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
Heads up on an Alpha 15 change that snuck under the radar: Heaters and Coolers have 75% more capacity now. Heater power usage went up from 100W to 175W, so the energy efficiency is the same, but power consumption for coolers wasn't increased, so they're more efficient now.

edit: and standing lamps were reduced to 75W!

Zhentar fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Sep 12, 2016