Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhqfdpIkXKA

Motto fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jul 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
The real Women of Robotech advertisement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hS-MBy48CVk

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

ImpAtom posted:

I think SDF would be a better show if it ended at the final battle but I genuinely think most of the content post the final battle sort of sucks. The Zentradi adapting to Earth stuff is great but the Love Triangle plot goes full stupid for basically the entire thing and Hikaru becomes a far worse character.

In comparison I think MX7 is too slow to start but once it gets going it keeps hitting the beats and I guess I'm more willing to forgive a weak start than weak finish.

I'm the exact opposite I think, because while I completely agree with your assessment of the elements of SDF's final 13 episodes I still love it despite thinking it makes Hikaru a much worse character and don't know that I could ever watch 7 again because those opening 20 episodes or so are such a slog even if the rest is good. I love that SDF shows happy endings aren't easy, watching Kamjin struggle with culture, Earth rebuilding and so on and Hikaru's indecisiveness is worth it, even if it's a bad cap to what is, up till episode 27, a really well executed character who struggles realistically with what happens to him in my opinion.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Just finished SDF myself. I really liked it overall, and actually enjoyed the last chunk of episodes quite a bit.

The whole series kind of felt like what I'd imagine a (good) Gundam AU would have looked like in the 80's. Like there's clearly an influence from 0079 here, but the show very much has its own identity which I liked.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Aug 7, 2016

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
So how about that new SRW and its english translation, huh?

...That thing needed, like, a dozen more editing passes.

...Or maybe at least one.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

KaosMachina posted:

So how about that new SRW and its english translation, huh?

...That thing needed, like, a dozen more editing passes.

...Or maybe at least one.

Makes Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth's translation job look amazing by comparison.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

It's an English release of a game with way more text than your average one for countries that don't speak English as a native language. Anybody expecting anything better that what we got was set up to be disappointed.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

So,just saw Macross 7: The Movie,AKA Star Trek Beyond. There's at least a couple of scenes in that movie that gave me huge Macross/Gundam vibes,honestly.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I watched Macross Zero over the past two days myself, on kind of a whim. I actually enjoyed it quite a bit. The characters weren't particularly substantive, but I didn't find them completely terrible either. I thought the general aesthetic of the whole Mayan Island to be quite beautiful, and I even dug the CGI mechs (The solid fight choreography helped here a lot, probably).

The show kind of seemed like a strange mix between RahXephon and Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet, though I liked it more than either of those.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

MarsDragon posted:

Giant Robo is quite possibly my favorite anime of all time, please tell us your reactions to every episode.

Belated response to this. Giant Robo was an absolutely beautiful piece of animation work. Really, really loving spectacular.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I watched Macross: Do You Remember Love? today. I think it was pretty good, though I think I ultimately prefer SDF's take on the story that focused more on the cultural shifts, integration etc., the side characters (Focker, Global, the Three Zentradi Stooges, the bridge girls, Max and Millia, etc.) and a little less exclusively on the love triangle. That being said DYRL was a still a really nice watch, and had some utterly gorgeous animation. The redesigns of the Macross itself and Zentradi were just wonderful. Ultimately I'm glad both versions can coexist.

I also watched Flash Back 2012. That's about all I have to say about it.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Feb 2, 2017

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Getter robo is cool, Hayato is the best pilot.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I finished Getter Robo Arc today. I see why people were frustrated by the cliffhanger, though I liked the weird note it ultimately ended on. It even kind of fits the themes of endless progress almost, that this story can't simply have a conclusive ending because of humanity always pushing itself forward with new incarnations of the Getter Robo (In a way it reminds me of some stuff that I read about Shin Mazinger's ending, even though I didn't like that anime much).

I liked it and the whole saga in general. I wasn't a huge fan of the original Getter Robo or Getter Robo G, but I enjoyed Shin, Go, and finally Arc quite a bit. Shin and Arc especially add a little depth to the first two manga even, which I appreciated.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Read volume 2 of Great Mazinger today. The last few panels seem...oddly subdued, I guess, for Nagai.

I'm not sure he intended it to be colored like this, but I like the look used in the last 20 or so pages.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
So I just got done watching Vifam and gently caress. This. Show. No I don't care that it was really good and tense and made me care about the growth and struggles of 12 kids and also Kats was there I guess. You do not have a show all about kids tracking across space and battlefields to meet their parents, only to never actually do the meeting on screen. No. I know it ends with them going to earth to see them, their battles fought and won. And I know they get to talk to them. But I was really dying for that show of them together, and you had a whole episode to do it.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Don't watch Waiting for Godot

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Droyer posted:

Don't watch Waiting for Godot
Speaking of people sitting around and waiting, I watched Voices of a Distant Star and now I'm loving sad. :smith:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Raxivace posted:

Speaking of people sitting around and waiting, I watched Voices of a Distant Star and now I'm loving sad. :smith:

It's very good at that for being all of 30 minutes long.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I've been watching Gasaraki lately and loving the attention to detail in taking care of their mechs, so - I figure this is the right place to ask. Aside from VOTOMS and Gundam, are there any other good mecha shows where they treat their giant weapons of war semi-realistically?

The rest of Gasaraki is a complete mess, but at least it's entertaining in how batty it is. Why is there a random several thousand year old immortal guy who can control America? Because the plot demands it, that's why!

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Fuckin love Gasaraki. Aside from the Lambda Driver which works for the setting, Full Metal Panic's Arm Slaves are pretty war-machine. If you like grimdark I suppose you could read the Front Mission manga too.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

I've been watching Gasaraki lately and loving the attention to detail in taking care of their mechs, so - I figure this is the right place to ask. Aside from VOTOMS and Gundam, are there any other good mecha shows where they treat their giant weapons of war semi-realistically?

Dougram has some pretty real feeling robots.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Yeah basically check out all the shows by Ryosuke Takahashi, even the fantasy one.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

muike posted:

Fuckin love Gasaraki. Aside from the Lambda Driver which works for the setting, Full Metal Panic's Arm Slaves are pretty war-machine. If you like grimdark I suppose you could read the Front Mission manga too.

Full Metal Panic's been on my to-watch list for years - I'll bump it up, thanks! As for Front Mission: I know nothing about the franchise other than that it has a bunch of video games. Is there anything I need to know before looking for the manga?

GorfZaplen posted:

Yeah basically check out all the shows by Ryosuke Takahashi, even the fantasy one.

Down the list: VOTOMS is amazing and I need to watch more than five episodes of it. I haven't seen Dougram, FLAG, Intrigue in the Bakumatsu (is this the fantasy one you meant?) or Blue Comet SPT Layzner, so they're all on the list now. Blue Gender, however, felt unpleasant to watch of the 2-3 eps I saw, so I won't be back for it.

Am I missing any? I'll probably go for Flag next as it's short and more realistic than the others, which is gonna be a treat after I finish Gasaraki tonight.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I've been watching FMP for the first time recently and have been enjoying it quite a bit, FWIW.

a kitten posted:

It's very good at that for being all of 30 minutes long.
I just read that Shinkai did all of the animation by himself. :stare:

That it is even watchable is a god damned miracle.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

Full Metal Panic's been on my to-watch list for years - I'll bump it up, thanks! As for Front Mission: I know nothing about the franchise other than that it has a bunch of video games. Is there anything I need to know before looking for the manga?

Down the list: VOTOMS is amazing and I need to watch more than five episodes of it. I haven't seen Dougram, FLAG, Intrigue in the Bakumatsu (is this the fantasy one you meant?) or Blue Comet SPT Layzner, so they're all on the list now. Blue Gender, however, felt unpleasant to watch of the 2-3 eps I saw, so I won't be back for it.

Am I missing any? I'll probably go for Flag next as it's short and more realistic than the others, which is gonna be a treat after I finish Gasaraki tonight.

Panzer World Galient t is the fantasy one I was talking about

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Did someone say Panzer World Galient??????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBBZrJP3hKE

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Raxivace posted:

I just read that Shinkai did all of the animation by himself. :stare:

That it is even watchable is a god damned miracle.

For the first release, he and his wife provided the voices as well. It's nuts.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Did someone say Panzer World Galient??????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBBZrJP3hKE

What the heck, that is the raddest OP.

Thank you bunches, guys, I've got oodles of anime to check out now. :D

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm so sad they removed the mega hours long video of all mecha anime openings from the 80s.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm so sad they removed the mega hours long video of all mecha anime openings from the 80s.

I actually have a copy of that, and two others for 60's/70's and the 90's.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

Slap it up somewhere, man! That sounds like it'd be baller to watch. (And a good way to find even more mecha shows to watch, too!)

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Dailymotion is a good alternate host for OPs.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
What's the best way to upload a few gigabyte sized files, now days? Just make a torrent? I don't know how much I could seed.

Edit: I'll look into Dailymotion,

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

There's a chance of it getting taken down from Dailymotion, I've had that happen to a decent amount of OP vids I put up there. Wouldn't hurt to try but I wouldn't count on a compilation staying up forever.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Schwarzwald posted:

I've got the whole collection too, but it's harder to share than just posting the youtube link.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I uploaded the 60s and 70s collection, here:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4swzw5

I actually can't upload the 80s collection on Dailymotion! They don't accept videos over an hour.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

I uploaded the 60s and 70s collection, here:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4swzw5

I actually can't upload the 80s collection on Dailymotion! They don't accept videos over an hour.

Hey, thanks! I don't know where you can put the 80s collection, but I really appreciate this.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

What the heck, that is the raddest OP.

Thank you bunches, guys, I've got oodles of anime to check out now. :D

It's done by EUROX which is a band created by some members of TAO after that band was finished.

Tao did the Vifam OP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qwszwb3aIPg

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

It's done by EUROX which is a band created by some members of TAO after that band was finished.

Tao did the Vifam OP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qwszwb3aIPg

The Vifam OP is probably one of my favorites, ever, and it's fortunate that it's attached to a really good show that deserves such a good tune. I'm gonna start Panzer World Galient tonight, see if it lives up to the OP!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
If i didn't kind of hate video editing I'd probably make a stupid long mecha clips video synced to this: https://soundcloud.com/maddecent/blood-bros-first-blood