Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I also don't know if it's a dumb move in marketing, but when Apple was marketing the IP68 rating of the new Apple watch to lap swimmers I laughed.

No way in hell a lap swimmer is going to be using a bulky object strapped to their wrist to count laps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I heard on the radio this morning that there was this mattress store down in Florida that made two stacks of mattresses outside for their Twin Towers sale (all mattresses for the price of a twin size). Then for their TV add, they had two guys fall into the stacks, knocking them over, complete with screaming.

As you can imagine, the ad did not go over well.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Silver Falcon posted:

I heard on the radio this morning that there was this mattress store down in Florida that made two stacks of mattresses outside for their Twin Towers sale (all mattresses for the price of a twin size). Then for their TV add, they had two guys fall into the stacks, knocking them over, complete with screaming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZmM-2gj5Gc
This is art :allears: You couldn't make that by accident, you were purposely pissing people off.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Silver Falcon posted:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2ZmM-2gj5Gc

Edit: son of a bitch!

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
Reminds me of how there were some Subways honoring the Onion's "Subtember 11" coupon.

http://gawker.com/subway-honors-the-onions-offensive-9-11-coupon-1324655816

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Recall that the 9/11 hijackers trained in Florida.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Croccers posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZmM-2gj5Gc
This is art :allears: You couldn't make that by accident, you were purposely pissing people off.

There is no way that wasn't made from a "no such thing as bad publicity" perspective.

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Ugh god why did I read the comments. Quite a bit of "I'm not offended, so stop being offended" as well as "IT WAS A TRIBUTE, STOP BEING OFFENDED".

Are we on a layer above offended here, where I take offense at those who are offended over the offended?

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.
Apparently the mattress store has closed amid the controversy.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
That's unfortunate. People losing jobs make me sad

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, but then again - mattress store employees. I'm pretty sure they rank right above fraternal police order telemarketers and just below funeral home salesmen.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Kojiro posted:

Jim Sterling in particular confuses me because while he actually makes some pretty strong points that I often agree with, his whole look is completely at odds with his usual message. Yes, you have a good argument about microtransactions but why are you telling me this from a fuckin Nazi podium

From a few pages back, but Sterling's whole shtick is mocking the self-serious nature of videogame commentary. He doesn't play the stupid intro song, dress like a Command & Conquer villain, or pontificate behind a podium because he thinks it looks cool. The only genuine things about his Jimquisition aesthetic are the toys he props up on the podium. If you think he looks like a huge self-conscious nerd while he rants about gaming that is entirely intended.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

ratbert90 posted:

All cultures can appreciate a punny joke. Except for Britain; they have no pun.

You've never seen our tabloid headlines.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now
let's get this shit started

Deified Data posted:

From a few pages back, but Sterling's whole shtick is mocking the self-serious nature of videogame commentary. He doesn't play the stupid intro song, dress like a Command & Conquer villain, or pontificate behind a podium because he thinks it looks cool. The only genuine things about his Jimquisition aesthetic are the toys he props up on the podium. If you think he looks like a huge self-conscious nerd while he rants about gaming that is entirely intended.

An insincere imitation of something incredibly annoying isn't necessarily any less annoying for the insincerity. He's still doing all of those things and even if it's just to mock those things the result is still irritating enough that I don't bother with videos of his, I don't care what he has to say. Maybe that's a failing on my part or something, but honestly I'm not going to sit through things that annoy me just for the opportunity of maybe getting something worth my time.

Komojo
Jun 30, 2007

Bottles of Drano are $7.39 each at Target. Or, if you want to buy two at a time, you can get the :siren:VALUE PACK:siren: for only $14.99! What a great deal!

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

thanks to this great deal from Drano®, I can poo poo in my sink for years without fear or shame

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Komojo posted:

Bottles of Drano are $7.39 each at Target. Or, if you want to buy two at a time, you can get the :siren:VALUE PACK:siren: for only $14.99! What a great deal!
Wouldn't be the first time something like that's happened. People are so used to the bulk packaging being cheaper that they grab the bigger size without really paying attention to the price. Make the bulk packaging slightly more expensive and few will notice.

Not really a dumb move in marketing so much as preying on people's inattention. :v:

Haifisch has a new favorite as of 22:06 on Sep 13, 2016

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

How incredibly ignorant.

...I mean, how do you misspell "heroes"?

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Komojo posted:

Haifisch posted:

Wouldn't be the first time something like that's happened. People are so used to the bulk packaging being cheaper that they grab the bigger size without really paying attention to the price. Make the bulk packaging slightly more expensive and few will notice.

Not really a dumb move in marketing so much as preying on people's inattention. :v:

Edit: Goddammit, never mind. I hosed up some math.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's important to remember that not all heroes are sandwiches.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
I keep focusing on the Pork Tacos bit.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Johnny Aztec posted:

I keep focusing on the Pork Tacos bit.

Just a pulled pork sandwich but with hard taco shells instead of a bun.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
"Heroes" sounds like it would be tasty with large amounts of ice, sipped slowly from a straw in a tiki mug on a hot afternoon. Doesn't really make me think of those that lost their lives on 9/11/2001 though.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Traxus IV posted:

An insincere imitation of something incredibly annoying isn't necessarily any less annoying for the insincerity. He's still doing all of those things and even if it's just to mock those things the result is still irritating enough that I don't bother with videos of his, I don't care what he has to say. Maybe that's a failing on my part or something, but honestly I'm not going to sit through things that annoy me just for the opportunity of maybe getting something worth my time.

You might like his articles, then. They're sincere and pretty well-written.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

:q:

The German spelling for "compact" is "kompakt", so that is deliberately English, not a funny translation accident

republicant
Apr 5, 2010
Sorry to bring back the subject of Bobcat in a Box, but I didn't renew it after the first time I tried it and I'm still getting packages.

I also got some incense and the website shows that I'm going to be getting a pair of crucifix earrings. I know the turtle necklace is obviously made of cheap materials but it's something I would actually pay $5 for in a store, and it made me happy arriving in the mail as a nice surprise, so I don't feel ripped off at all. Not saying that people should run out and subscribe to it but personally I got my (small amount of) money's worth.

The Blue Pyramid
Mar 1, 2009

:poland: :poland: :poland:
Kiepski to nie
kaktus;
Pić musi!

:poland: :poland: :poland:

Haifisch posted:

It's like when Diageo made all their beers smaller but kept the prices the same. It's a bad move in that they're selling you a 12 pack of Guinness that realistically only contains about 11 beers, but a good move as it saves the company plenty over the long term and nobody really notices.

republicant posted:

Bobcat in a Box

Yeah I started getting some decent stuff too, the bottle opening lizard keychain made it worth it for me. Plus its fun seeing packages from Laos and Malaysia pop up every so often

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

God drat it

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
For some reason, some ads on Youtube now are showing for a full 30 seconds with no choice to skip, which is already a poo poo thing. But the worst one that has been is an ad that just has a section of something it calls 'Beer: the whole story'.

It's just part of a conversation between people I have no context of, talking about how artificial preservatives are poo poo for beer and then segueing into a discussion of how beer ages before the ad cuts off. I have no idea who this ad was made by, and they say loving nothing to indicate this is worth anybody's time, it's just such a 'nothing' part of a supposedly large conversation.

I know I'm not the target audience aince I'm the only Australian that doesn't like beer, but as someone that kind of follows ads as a medium it's infuriating because it's wasting my time with NOTHING. It's got nothing to say, it's just talking and wasting my time and forgets to even sell me something!

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

Cleretic posted:

For some reason, some ads on Youtube now are showing for a full 30 seconds with no choice to skip, which is already a poo poo thing. But the worst one that has been is an ad that just has a section of something it calls 'Beer: the whole story'.

It's just part of a conversation between people I have no context of, talking about how artificial preservatives are poo poo for beer and then segueing into a discussion of how beer ages before the ad cuts off. I have no idea who this ad was made by, and they say loving nothing to indicate this is worth anybody's time, it's just such a 'nothing' part of a supposedly large conversation.

I know I'm not the target audience aince I'm the only Australian that doesn't like beer, but as someone that kind of follows ads as a medium it's infuriating because it's wasting my time with NOTHING. It's got nothing to say, it's just talking and wasting my time and forgets to even sell me something!

The other day I got a three minute advert telling me not to join ISIS.

I mean, I'm not gonna join ISIS so I guess it worked.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Cleretic posted:

I know I'm not the target audience aince I'm the only Australian that doesn't like beer,

HERETIC!

But seriously, the beer ads (according to the website) seem to be made by Lion Pty Limited, which is a conglomerate that produces all sorts of beverages including beer.

I guess they are going for the "artisanal" faux-highbrow approach previously mentioned in this thread about other brands.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Cleretic posted:

For some reason, some ads on Youtube now are showing for a full 30 seconds with no choice to skip, which is already a poo poo thing.

This poo poo right here is why I feel no shame about using an ad blocker. Unobtrusive banner ads? Fine. Subtly animated sidebar ad? Go for it. Bouncy Windows-styled error message knockoff? 2slick4u, dipwad (nice try though). Skippable ad at the start of a video featuring a local actor and some decent production values? I'm game, you're playing fair by me.

Multiple autoplaying video advertisements that conflict with each other and have to be individually muted with a five-pixel-high button, one of which is located three quarters of the way down a page? Three minute unskippable ad for a Korean-style MMO that tells me nothing about the game but wayyy more than I ever wanted to know about its lore and story (ooh, vengeance for my fallen clan again?)? loving hover-expanding banner ads that turn every page into a minefield, where one wrong mouse move means twenty seconds of earbleeding rock music and engine noises? Every download page turning into a nightmare of hoping that this is the real button?

Too many rotten apples. It only ever took one. The only ads I watch now are integrated ones done by the video creators.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
I wish ublock also blocked retention popovers. No, I don't want to sign up for your newsletter. Yes, my mouse DID move to the upper corner of the window, because I AM leaving your site; no, I don't want to sign up for your newsletter before I leave. Fine, okay, I'll click your loving passive-aggressive "no" option, you piece of poo poo.

Email: ____________________________________
[ YAY! I LOVE EATING GOOD, HEALTHY FOOD MY FAMILY LOVES! ]
[ No thanks, I'll just eat a poverty dog off the floor like a animal ]

get hosed

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Tears In A Vial posted:

The other day I got a three minute advert telling me not to join ISIS.

I mean, I'm not gonna join ISIS so I guess it worked.

I wanted to watch a trailer for some film a while back and the ad was the trailer for the film so....win, I guess?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

InediblePenguin posted:

I wish ublock also blocked retention popovers. No, I don't want to sign up for your newsletter. Yes, my mouse DID move to the upper corner of the window, because I AM leaving your site; no, I don't want to sign up for your newsletter before I leave. Fine, okay, I'll click your loving passive-aggressive "no" option, you piece of poo poo.

Email: ____________________________________
[ YAY! I LOVE EATING GOOD, HEALTHY FOOD MY FAMILY LOVES! ]
[ No thanks, I'll just eat a poverty dog off the floor like a animal ]

get hosed

I've had to make a lot of these popovers for work, and it's pretty disheartening knowing I'm part of the problem.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
If you don't like the ads on YouTube don't use YouTube?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

ratbert90 posted:

If you don't like the ads on YouTube don't use YouTube?

Oh sure just let me hop over on to, uh, Viddler.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
That's so obvious, why didn't I ever think of it before? I hate charging my phone too, so I know, I'll just get rid of it! It's brilliant!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Wanamingo posted:

That's so obvious, why didn't I ever think of it before? I hate charging my phone too, so I know, I'll just get rid of it! It's brilliant!

Your phone wasn't free.