Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Guy Goodbody posted:

Just to get it straight in my head, the only things that we actually know for sure about the NX is that it's a home console, it's coming out in March 2017, and Zelda will be on it?

And literally everything else people are saying about it is based off of looking at old patent filings and guesses?

Several other games, including Dragon Quest X, Dragon Quest XI, Sonic 2017, and Just Dance 2017 have also been confirmed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
In all fairness Pokemon has had a pretty varied number of titles, its just that the main installments are only incrimentally different.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

the changes feel a lot more pronounced when you take a 15 year break between gold & silver and x & y

romanowski fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Sep 11, 2016

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

All these shaken up formulas and I still don't have the fully 3D open world Pokemon game that child me dreamed of while playing Pokemon Stadium and Pokemon Snap. Unforgivable.

The fully 3D open world Pokémon is Pokémon GO and the map is real life. Will you never be satisfied?!

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

also snap is coming back in sumo

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

BillmasterCozb posted:

It'll prolly be an alright game, just not good for a paper mario game.

Color Splash and Sticker Star are the way Paper Mario is now. Mario & Luigi is the RPG side of the series. People are going to have come to terms with that.

It happened because Miyamoto doesn't love you anymore, children.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

codenameFANGIO posted:

The fully 3D open world Pokémon is Pokémon GO and the map is real life. Will you never be satisfied?!

Pokemon Go doesn't have the best Pokemon, Garbodor.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

Pokemon Go doesn't have the best Pokemon, Garbodor.

garbodor is holding the phone

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Guy Goodbody posted:

Who did IGN hear it from? Was it the same guy who Eurogamer heard it form?

Maybe.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

codenameFANGIO posted:

Considering Go is absolute dogshit in rural areas and doesn't have trading or normal battling with friends, I'd say that definitely wont be scratching any itches for me.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

romanowski posted:

the changes feel a lot more pronounced when you take a 15 year break between gold & silver and x & y

It's a huge amount of cumulative incremental changes but the basic systems still feel rooted in what was possible to achieve on the technology of the original gameboy, which is something I find kind of frustrating. Like, if you gave someone the core gameplay ideas of Pokemon today, (catching monsters; competing in a national monster-fighting competition system; and also using your monsters to beat some "bad guys") you definitely wouldn't end up with X&Y. There's scope to take the game to much more interesting places mechanically, but there's no chance that it'll actually go there.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I don't know why people want an open world Pokemans game when open world games are the loving worst.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Open world games, super-linear first-person shooters, "press X to Jason," $60 + DLC Season Pass Movie Experience, these are the real video games. By Gamers for Gamers™

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

The IGN report used the phrase "separate source," so I doubt it.

The EG report has also been independently corroborated by WSJ, MCV, Semiaccurate, Tweaktown, and LPVG, and to a lesser extent Kotaku. Some of which are more reputable than others, but the point is that there's been literally zero actual reporting from any halfway credible outlet that contradicts the EG report in any meaningful way.

So while it's obviously not 100% confirmed, it's really, really, really unlikely that these outlets are all completely wrong about what NX is. It's a tad more plausible that there's some other form factor out there *in addition* to the hybrid device, but I still wouldn't bet on that.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Red Bones posted:

It's a huge amount of cumulative incremental changes but the basic systems still feel rooted in what was possible to achieve on the technology of the original gameboy, which is something I find kind of frustrating. Like, if you gave someone the core gameplay ideas of Pokemon today, (catching monsters; competing in a national monster-fighting competition system; and also using your monsters to beat some "bad guys") you definitely wouldn't end up with X&Y. There's scope to take the game to much more interesting places mechanically, but there's no chance that it'll actually go there.

JRPGs are cool.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Red Bones posted:

can you expound these much more interesting places

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
It's so weird seeing people treat the loving Wall Street Journal like it has the same credibility of some rumor-mongering website run by 19 year old ultranerds. The WSJ's target audience for stories about Nintendo is rich investors who want accurate info on what Nintendo is up to to decide whether to invest or not, not gamers. The WSJ is not some gossip mill.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

TheScott2K posted:

I don't know why people want an open world Pokemans game when open world games are the loving worst.

i think a lot of the times when people say "open world" they really just mean non-linear. i mean maybe not but i think it would be cool if you started in a town in the center of the map and then had several directions you could choose to go, but i guess that kind of clashes with the nature of the rpg elements and a progressive difficulty

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
hey remember when new vegas had an open world map and people whined that if they went in a certain direction they got murdered by deathclaws

what i'm saying is gamers are morons who will never be happy

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Patter Song posted:

It's so weird seeing people treat the loving Wall Street Journal like it has the same credibility of some rumor-mongering website run by 19 year old ultranerds. The WSJ's target audience for stories about Nintendo is rich investors who want accurate info on what Nintendo is up to to decide whether to invest or not, not gamers. The WSJ is not some gossip mill.

It's fairly obvious that something like 95% of the "debate" over the veracity of Eurogamer/WSJ/IGN/MCV's reporting only exists because what they're describing doesn't match the PS4 Pro/Scorpio-killer that a vocal minority of Nintendo fans had pictured in their heads. I've seen a ton of misinformation going around about these outlets and their reporting that's clearly being circulated by people who haven't read the articles (see the "they're just going off of patents" post above), have no idea how journalism works, or both.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

hey remember when new vegas had an open world map and people whined that if they went in a certain direction they got murdered by deathclaws

i always went the Cazador path and had a blast dying time after time, mashing my face into the deathclaws until one of us died. I was sad when I bought the game again on Steam, and saw "Oh, the Courier's pack just gives me everything I need for Cazador Hell.", but then again you can just uninstall DLCs that you don't want, so its not a problem for me.

edit: An open world pokemon would be meh imo, but I'd like to see a new Pokemon Rumble that lets you play for more then five minutes at a time without paying extra cash

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I do think all these outlets seem a little blind to the fact that dev kits do not resemble the end product, when they're talking about there being a fan in the unit, having certain dimensions, or even having certain chipsets. The final product is never particularly close to even the advanced dev kits.

Really all you can garner is that it is a mobile device and PROBABLY uses something in the NVidia Tegra family, but may not even use that.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

greatn posted:

I do think all these outlets seem a little blind to the fact that dev kits do not resemble the end product, when they're talking about there being a fan in the unit, having certain dimensions, or even having certain chipsets. The final product is never particularly close to even the advanced dev kits.

Really all you can garner is that it is a mobile device and PROBABLY uses something in the NVidia Tegra family, but may not even use that.

Eh... this close to launch, I would think that dev kits would be fairly close to final hardware in general form factor and performance. Specific dimensions, sure, I'd be more skeptical about (though the one outlet that reported on that, LPVG, partially retracted that story).

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Just got my hands on the NX dev kit..... sorry folks, NDA. Gonna have to keep this one under wraps.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

Doesn't seem like a very open world if going in one cardinal direction results in instant death, unless you're already an expert at the game.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

There were still 3 other cardinal directions which didn't result in you getting deathclawed.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

greatn posted:

To add to the above: I don't think there's any real chance of the system not using a Tegra SoC. Yes, Nintendo did a similar switch with 3DS (reportedly due to Nvidia failing to deliver the performance per watt they had promised), but that was much further in advance of launch than NX currently is.

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva
I'm going to go ahead and spill the beans so to speak. The Nintendo NX, or as it will be known as The Nintendo 7, will feature not one not two but four Tegra X2 chips, two of which will be overclocked. We're talking 8 teraflops of pure power here. Not only that, it will be a phablet that connects to a dock to display it on the TV (bringing gaming BACK to the television, where it belongs). So at home or on the go The Nintendo 7 will be the most versatile and powerful system in existence. Sony doesn't stand a chance and Microsoft is just a joke waiting for the punchline.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

oddium posted:

garbodor is holding the phone
:drat:

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

oddium posted:

can you expound these much more interesting places

Imagine MGSV:TPP, but all the wild animals are Pokemons, the Russian Soldiers are Team Rocket, and D-Dog is a Growlithe.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Gorgolflox posted:

I'm going to go ahead and spill the beans so to speak. The Nintendo NX, or as it will be known as The Nintendo 7, will feature not one not two but four Tegra X2 chips, two of which will be overclocked.

So...

It's a car?

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Reiley posted:

Just got my hands on the NX dev kit..... sorry folks, NDA. Gonna have to keep this one under wraps.

ive got my hands on an NX too. it feels suspiciously like my penis, but slightly different enough to be disconcerting and not trigger copyright infringement

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
So the theory that GameXplain guys and other journalists went on "vacations" for an NX Press Conference are confirmed fake now that Eric and Andre are going home?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Confirmed actually. The press conference happen in secret.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doesn't it kind of gently caress over third parties a little if they can't show off their upcoming NX games at TGS because Nintendo hasn't revealed the thing yet?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Not really. Here's a truth few have realized: no one actually cares about these trade shows or stage announcements. You can just throw up a trailer on YouTube and it's fine.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

greatn posted:

Confirmed actually. The press conference happen in secret.

This vacation stuff strikes me as a very silly and desperate attempt at tea leaf reading, but to be fair, I would totally expect Nintendo to have an embargoed press event of some kind a bit before the public reveal, so that impressions can go live just after the event wraps.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Were almost half way through September, still no sign of NX.

Like I said, the announcement won't arrive this month. Because Nintendo.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

i hope for a luigi's mansion for the nx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Remember they have to do a worldwide announcement. I feel especially bad for NoE. They have to prepare promotional materials, websites, video content, subtitles in like five or six languages. This is an extraordinarily difficult media rollout.

• Locked thread