Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Is anyone else not seeing the update? I'm still seeing version 1.5 from August 23rd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!

Chill la Chill posted:

It isn't available to anybody yet. The people who do got the APK directly. They're cheating with the head start.

:laffo:

I dunno what else to even say

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

zeldadude posted:

I dunno what else to even say
You could post the APK link if you care so much. There's nothing to really say, it's cheating. It does not really matter but lol at the group of people here who get really defensive about their cheating.

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!

Chill la Chill posted:

You could post the APK link if you care so much. There's nothing to really say, it's cheating. It does not really matter but lol at the group of people here who get really defensive about their cheating.

ok
http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/niantic-inc/pokemon-go/pokemon-go-0-37-0-release/pokemon-go-0-37-0-android-apk-download/

if that post was 'really defensive' in your eyes then once again, I dunno what to tell you

Risky
May 18, 2003

Soonmot posted:

I got my lil buddy squirtle here with me, he's cute.

Every squirtle and wartotle I caught has been complete garbage. Is this a common thing?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Risky posted:

Every squirtle and wartotle I caught has been complete garbage. Is this a common thing?

Yes: https://www.reddit.com/r/TheSilphRoad/comments/4v0puc/theory_potential_bug_with_ivs/
I caugh a Wartortle in the wild and it's stats are 0/15/15. The Squirtle I will eventually turn into a Blastoise came from an egg, because all the ones that I caught have been "decent" (below 70% IVs) at best.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Sep 11, 2016

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Risky posted:

Yeah the only way to get a good starter is to hatch one.

zeldadude posted:

ok
http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/niantic-inc/pokemon-go/pokemon-go-0-37-0-release/pokemon-go-0-37-0-android-apk-download/

if that post was 'really defensive' in your eyes then once again, I dunno what to tell you
I'll make it easy: Just quote me saying it's cheating and say :agreed:

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

zeldadude posted:

ok

You should have just quoted the link post on the last page.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Well crap. I've been waiting for a decent Squirtle and even have enough candy for a Blastoise. Guess I'll have to wait for an egg and get lucky.

I know I have a 93% Bulbasaur that was hatched. I guess I lucked into my 84% Bulba.

Risky
May 18, 2003

Mierenneuker posted:

No: https://www.reddit.com/r/TheSilphRoad/comments/4v0puc/theory_potential_bug_with_ivs/
I caugh a Wartortle in the wild and it's stats are 0/15/15. The Squirtle I will eventually turn into a Blastoise came from an egg, because all the ones that I caught have been "decent" (below 70% IVs) at best.

Well I have some with good defense but it's always 0 for attack which makes me think its sole purpose is to be a defender?

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Chill la Chill posted:

Yeah the only way to get a good starter is to hatch one.

I typed something out, but I'll just sit here and shake my head disappointedly instead.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Was going to use Dratini for my walker till I realized I have a better chance with Magikarp.

Now it's me and Bitchfish against the world!

And I loving slept in so missed my morning walk. Fine, evening it is. I cannot loving wait for winter.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Risky posted:

Well I have some with good defense but it's always 0 for attack which makes me think its sole purpose is to be a defender?

I said "no" when I meant to say "yes" :sweatdrop:
But generally it's just better to get a starter from an egg regardless of how you'll end up using it, since they tend to have better stats than most wild Pokemon. You could also use the one you actually picked at the start if you still have it, since it's guaranteed to be 10/10/10. It's also <20CP so you'd end up making it your permanent buddy to get enough candies for all those power ups (so yeah, eggs are better).

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Sep 11, 2016

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Chill la Chill posted:

Nobody is cheating. You just don't understand how App Store rollouts work.

Google allows you to have the new version of app be released in a matter of minutes once it passes a few automated checks. You can have everyone get the update simultaneously but most developers (Niantic included) use a staged rollout where only a certain percentage of people get the update each day. This way if there is a major bug missed during testing you'll catch it when the crash reports or bad reviews start coming in and you can halt and revert the rollout without pissing off everyone.

Apple on the other hand actually manually reviews the updated app to check that it works and that you aren't trying to circumvent an App Store rule through an update. Because of that the approval takes a day or two. Apple also doesn't allow staged rollouts so when it goes live it goes live for everyone.

So right now Google Play is in a staged rollout and Apple is reviewing the app. That's why you see a bunch of people (all on android) with the new app but you don't have it. Nobody is cheating, everything is working as intended. If Niantic cared about everyone getting it at the same moment they would have submitted it to Apple then full-released it on Google the instant it passed Apple's review, or release it like they are but with the buddy system disabled server-side for a few days.

Eikre
May 2, 2009

Mierenneuker posted:

Yes: https://www.reddit.com/r/TheSilphRoad/comments/4v0puc/theory_potential_bug_with_ivs/

Those are perfect IVs for a training attacker.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So you can change your buddy Pokemon? That's excellent.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Risky posted:

I have a Wartortle at 88.89%, 13/12/15, 841 CP, so it's not unheard of.

In other fun news, I was standing outside a restaurant waiting for dinner last night when a bunch of excited kids go screaming past with their phones out, "WHERE IS HE??" I popped open the app real quick and turns out I was standing on a Snorlax! First one I've seen, caught him with one ultraball. His defense is poo poo but he's got Zen headbutt which is supposed to be good?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Chill la Chill posted:

Wait, you actually believe this?

holy loving :lol::lol:

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Risky posted:

There's a Squirtle spawn point near my faculty, in 300 candies worth of Squirtles only about 5 were appraised as "strong" with the best being 73%.

Bear Retrieval Unit fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Sep 11, 2016

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Mierenneuker posted:

This explains a lot.

Every single one of the Charmanders I've caught near my house (frequent spawn point) have garbage attack stats, I was wondering what was up with that.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I've certainly noticed that basically every Poliwag is utter poo poo. My best is hatched and even then it was only ~75%, I've still got nearly 200 candy after evolving him so I guess I'm just grinding eggs till I get another one.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Yay, I can finally look at my Grimer without the app locking up completely. I caught him weeks ago and have had to be careful not to accidentally swipe onto him when going through my list.

Distance tracking is still screwed. I really hoped they would have fixed that since the major new feature is based on distance tracking. Just use the pedometer APIs built into the OS that every other tracking app uses. Who cares if a tiny number of people cheat by sticking their phone on their dog and then tying the dog to the ceiling fan or whatever the gently caress people think cheaters do? There's no competitive advantage to be gained since the game is essentially single-player. And if you fake-walk while running 9 incubators, what then? You'll have to go out and physically walk enough stops to gain 9 more eggs. Someone doing that would probably end up walking more than they would otherwise, while the vast majority of normal players would gain accurate distance tracking.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
Does a gym show that it's under attack when someone's training at it?

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

Yay, I can finally look at my Grimer without the app locking up completely. I caught him weeks ago and have had to be careful not to accidentally swipe onto him when going through my list.

Distance tracking is still screwed. I really hoped they would have fixed that since the major new feature is based on distance tracking. Just use the pedometer APIs built into the OS that every other tracking app uses. Who cares if a tiny number of people cheat by sticking their phone on their dog and then tying the dog to the ceiling fan or whatever the gently caress people think cheaters do? There's no competitive advantage to be gained since the game is essentially single-player. And if you fake-walk while running 9 incubators, what then? You'll have to go out and physically walk enough stops to gain 9 more eggs. Someone doing that would probably end up walking more than they would otherwise, while the vast majority of normal players would gain accurate distance tracking.

i have that bug with water types, a seel and sometimes others... its bullshit.

also someone was talking about the "4 min" update and now that im walking around buddies i can see where they got the idea that distance tracking updates in 4 min intervals.

Woodchip posted:

the lightning and clouds effect maybe, could be a thing?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Woodchip posted:

Yes it does. The only way you can tell if it is being attacked or trained is to see if the prestige goes up or down.

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

ya nailed it, when I'm on the warpath I constantly check the prestige to see if I'm going to lose something.

but it only works on poo poo you can see. the desktop scanner will tell you color and prestige but not contents

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
I gotta say, I love how they have "Trainer & Poke", like, Turner and Hooch style across the top of your trainer tab.

Also, hatched a 80%+ ghastlie, can wait to turn it into a gengar and then never use it.

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

hey man that thing may get one weird attack that gyms don't want you to know

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

2km from apartment to office, buddy system recognized 1.1km

You know Niantic, I was kind of kidding when I said it would take 10km to get one piece of goddamn candy

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

walking a vulpix for that last candy rn and measuring against an egg and it's mostly accurate over long consecutive distances

Eyochigan
Dec 13, 2006

It's not rape unless I explicitly see it!

Manslaughter posted:

2km from apartment to office, buddy system recognized 1.1km

You know Niantic, I was kind of kidding when I said it would take 10km to get one piece of goddamn candy

But hey, 1 candy is better than 0 right? It would be so much better if we got 500xp per buddy km or whatever. at level 28, I would have gained 134k xp with my distance so far(D/2*k), barely inching into level 29. And if it gave stardust too, you would finally have an alternative to lure camping.

edit:

edit2: re: levels

edit3: DAE remember level 1-19? finally realized what that green sliver was.

Eyochigan fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Sep 12, 2016

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Does Niantic have schedule for the rollout? I don't see the update in my store, and I'd really like to start running with my buddy pkmn, but I don't wanna get banned for cheating by downloading via the APK

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

god drat dude just "cheat"

it could take days for the sequential rollout to pick your android version and location

Eyochigan
Dec 13, 2006

It's not rape unless I explicitly see it!
Yeah just download it. We're already playing 10% of a game and they want to use a portion of their playerbase to beta test so people don't revolt when they download a broken patch.

Patch seems to be working so far. Screw bureaucracy.

Eyochigan fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Sep 12, 2016

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

They probably can't identify who should and shouldn't have the apk, it's almost definitely a Google blackbox

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

Ask me about delicious soy products.
At first I didn't like the cheaters, and then I realized how incredibly grossly unfair this game is even if you do nothing else but use the app. I earn 60,000xp a day with a short hour walk then some sitting at home spinning the three pokestops and four spawn points that appear right on top of me. My rural friend goes for a 10km walk every day and sees a total of 3-5 pokemon total. How is this fair even a little bit? Am I cheating because I live in Taipei?

Using scanners to make sure you don't miss rare pokemon, "exploiting" bubblestrat, using a GPS spoofer to walk around the block at work, all of this pales in comparison to just living in the right place. The only truly unfair cheat I can think of is using a GPS spoofer to teleport all around the world grabbing all the rare mons: This actually surpasses what you can potentially get living in the best place so it's kind of unfair. I still don't really care.

That SF residents get the new tracker and nobody else does is also complete horseshit. Games have beta servers that wipe for a reason: They don't want to pollute the main servers with potentially bugged stuff or unfair rewards. Niantic did not make a fair game and does not promote a fair game. "Cheating" basically means nothing in this environment.

Also, downloading the new version of the game is cheating? :roflolmao: Why should we accept being last in line for an update at the whims of Niantic's rollout when there is absolutely nobody hurt by grabbing the apk they themselves posted on a mirror?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Afgad posted:

At first I didn't like the cheaters, and then I realized how incredibly grossly unfair this game is even if you do nothing else but use the app. I earn 60,000xp a day with a short hour walk then some sitting at home spinning the three pokestops and four spawn points that appear right on top of me. My rural friend goes for a 10km walk every day and sees a total of 3-5 pokemon total. How is this fair even a little bit? Am I cheating because I live in Taipei?

Using scanners to make sure you don't miss rare pokemon, "exploiting" bubblestrat, using a GPS spoofer to walk around the block at work, all of this pales in comparison to just living in the right place. The only truly unfair cheat I can think of is using a GPS spoofer to teleport all around the world grabbing all the rare mons: This actually surpasses what you can potentially get living in the best place so it's kind of unfair. I still don't really care.

That SF residents get the new tracker and nobody else does is also complete horseshit. Games have beta servers that wipe for a reason: They don't want to pollute the main servers with potentially bugged stuff or unfair rewards. Niantic did not make a fair game and does not promote a fair game. "Cheating" basically means nothing in this environment.

Also, downloading the new version of the game is cheating? :roflolmao: Why should we accept being last in line for an update at the whims of Niantic's rollout when there is absolutely nobody hurt by grabbing the apk they themselves posted on a mirror?

Yeah, I get 50k a week, but that's only because I have a good ingress farm and it's a five buck train ride to Chicago

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Afgad posted:

I don't care about any of that, except for the guy who was GPS spoofing to take gyms. That's directly loving over other players in a way that just using it to catch pokemon isn't.

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

for what it's worth, half of the threads naysayers (1) has been banned for a month for reddit-grade bitching.

get what you can or of it, that's what I do

maybe that makes you use a scanner or look at IVs, who cares. I still like walking around and fighting gyms.

just do you and have fun however the environment let's you. that's the true path

namastoise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
60k exp a day? Holy Jesus

• Locked thread