Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Impermanent posted:

Also, it's a dicey business decision to spin up production of games in factories across the world in order to produce as many as possible in order to sell them. Other games would have to not be printed - other games that FFG knows it will be able to sell at any point, and won't have to just dump after February.

I agree, printing a lot of products that have huge demand is an extremely dicey business decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

deadwing posted:

I agree, printing a lot of products that have huge demand is an extremely dicey business decision.

Is this a pun

Because dice

Hauki
May 11, 2010

deadwing posted:

Not nearly as simple as that, and from a publishing standpoint is incredibly risky and nonsensical to do a huge print on stuff you can no longer sell in a few months. Depending on how their distribution is structured, what their agreements with their printers are, etc., that alone could eat up a significant chunk of their remaining time with that license and then they've just lost a pile of money on a product they can't sell and now have to store or dispose of, losing even more money.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
Looks like Mage Knight Krang is back in stock. My store has 2 in stock all of a sudden.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Hauki posted:

Not nearly as simple as that, and from a publishing standpoint is incredibly risky and nonsensical to do a huge print on stuff you can no longer sell in a few months. Depending on how their distribution is structured, what their agreements with their printers are, etc., that alone could eat up a significant chunk of their remaining time with that license and then they've just lost a pile of money on a product they can't sell and now have to store or dispose of, losing even more money.

Having watched the FFG upcoming products page intently for a couple years, I feel like they could probably get products which demand suddenly appeared for two days ago to store shelves by February, but there's a very real chance they would miss it.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

sonatinas posted:

Looks like Mage Knight Krang is back in stock. My store has 2 in stock all of a sudden.

I spotted a copy of lost legion in mine this week for $40, which surprised me since I thought it was OoP and $100.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
So I watched a pretty good hour long play through of Dominant Species. I think I have the game down. I just have a few questions:

1. What is the point in everyone starting 2 default amount of elements on the player cards? I thought you only need one on the player card for it to matter, as in having one sun token means you can survive on any token with sun. Why does everyone start with 2? In addition why do the amphibians starting with 3 add additional benefit? My only guess is that maybe regression can wipe out your default markers as well, but I thought the default ones printed on the card were protected from that?

2. In regression does it matter if there are multiple elements of the same type in the box? I read on a BGG forum that regression only affects element type, and not individual quantifiable elements. For example if there 2 sun tokens in the element box, you would only lose 1 sun from your player card, and it would only require you placing 1 action token to block this instead of 2.

3. Does anyone have any general tips for new players? Things that normally catch people up? Are there any cards other than ice age I should point out before the game starts? I just learned the game by reading the rule book and watching a video, and Im now gonna teach it to 5 other people.

Megasabin fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Sep 11, 2016

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Hauki posted:

FFG (through Asmodee) has an absurd amount of business partners for distribution who would surely take on a ton of product. They sell em to the distributors, the distributors have stock for the next whenever.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Megasabin posted:

So I watched a pretty good hour long play through of Dominant Species. I think I have the game down. I just have a few questions:

1. What is the point in everyone starting 2 default amount of elements on the player cards? I thought you only need one on the player card for it to matter, as in having one sun token means you can survive on any token with sun. Why does everyone start with 2? In addition why do the amphibians starting with 3 add additional benefit? My only guess is that maybe regression can wipe out your default markers as well, but I thought the default ones printed on the card were protected from that?

2. In regression does it matter if there are multiple elements of the same type in the box? I read on a BGG forum that regression only affects element type, and not individual quantifiable elements. For example if there 2 sun tokens in the element box, you would only lose 1 sun from your player card, and it would only require you placing 1 action token to block this instead of 2.

3. Does anyone have any general tips for new players? Things that normally catch people up? Are there any cards other than ice age I should point out before the game starts? I just learned the game by reading the rule book and watching a video, and Im now gonna teach it to 5 other people.

1 - The multiple elements your animal's dominance score. After you score a tile for the domination action, you check to see which player has dominance. For each element on your player sheet, you count how many matching element tokens there are on that tile, then multiply that by the number of species you have there (# of cubes). So in the default starting board, most animals will have a dominance score of 8 where they have two species: (2 on the player sheet * 2 matches on the tile) * 2 cubes. The amphibians will have a score of 12, since they have 3 on their player sheet.

2 - If there are two suns in the regression box, anyone with a sun on their player sheet would lose one. To protect your player sheet sun, you would have to take two actions there to remove both suns from the box.

3 - Don't underestimate the value of reserving glaciation actions. Make sure you spread out for end game scoring, where you score every tile for points. This is separate from the Ice Age card scoring.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

unpronounceable posted:

1 - The multiple elements your animal's dominance score. After you score a tile for the domination action, you check to see which player has dominance. For each element on your player sheet, you count how many matching element tokens there are on that tile, then multiply that by the number of species you have there (# of cubes). So in the default starting board, most animals will have a dominance score of 8 where they have two species: (2 on the player sheet * 2 matches on the tile) * 2 cubes. The amphibians will have a score of 12, since they have 3 on their player sheet.

2 - If there are two suns in the regression box, anyone with a sun on their player sheet would lose one. To protect your player sheet sun, you would have to take two actions there to remove both suns from the box.

3 - Don't underestimate the value of reserving glaciation actions. Make sure you spread out for end game scoring, where you score every tile for points. This is separate from the Ice Age card scoring.

Dominance has nothing to do with # of cubes.

Dominance is just number of element1 tokens/printed on your sheet * number of element1 on the board plus the same thing for each element touching that tile.

# of cubes ONLY affects who gets the higher scoring bonus when the tile is scored.

Dominance ONLY affects who gets the domination card.

(except at the end of the game)

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Megasabin posted:

1. The default markers can never be lost, so you always have something to survive on. You have 2 so your animal doesn't lose dominance as soon as someone else snatches an element that you use.
The amphibian's 3 default water elements are actually really strong. They'll have dominance anywhere there's water for a large part of the game, and the most valuable tiles, that people want to score, starts with the water elements, so the amphibians will get to choose which cards that are fired. It does require the player to really handle the water elements on the board or they lose their advantage completely.

2. Correct. 3 meat elements in the regression box means that players lose 1 meat disk, and 1 action token will protect you from losing it.

3. When you score a tile with the Domination action, the player's number of cubes determines who get the most points, with the guy with most cubes getting the most points, but the player who has dominance is the one who has to execute a card.
The survival card gives bonus points base on how many ice tiles you have cubes on, not how many cubes you have on ice tiles.
I'd say it's better to explain the cards as they show up, but it's a good idea to tell that there are cards that'll give you more action depending on where you are in the food chain in relation to the player who executes the card.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

silvergoose posted:

Dominance has nothing to do with # of cubes.

Dominance is just number of element1 tokens/printed on your sheet * number of element1 on the board plus the same thing for each element touching that tile.

# of cubes ONLY affects who gets the higher scoring bonus when the tile is scored.

Dominance ONLY affects who gets the domination card.

(except at the end of the game)

Whelp, that's something I've been playing completely wrong. I should probably take a closer look at the rule book.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

unpronounceable posted:

Whelp, that's something I've been playing completely wrong. I should probably take a closer look at the rule book.

Yeah the game is more or less jostling to try to ensure you both dominate *and* have the most cubes on a tile so that when you take domination as an action, you can score that tile, get the most points, and also get the card.

Low scoring tiles like deserts, eh, just having domination is good enough, who cares about 2 measly points, but the water and jungle and crap like that, you really want both.

(there are other ways to get points, obviously, but that's one of the prime ones)

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

unpronounceable posted:

Thanks all for clarifying!

It also sounds like you might have made a slight mistake with regression tiles. I think the next person who posted confirmed it's element type, not element #, so it doesn't matter if there are 2 suns in the regression box, it only counts as removal of 1 sun from your player board, and thus you would only need to take one action to protect yourself.

Also you never remove a tile from the regression box by taking an action. Taking an action just protects you from the effect, but leave the tile there so it still affects everyone else. You only remove from wasteland. I only know this because I read a thread on BGG about this very topic. Here is the topic: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/660366/understand-regression

Just noticed you also mention checking who has dominance after the end of a domination round. Dominance is fluid, and actually changes instantly when any factor affecting it changes.

This game is drat confusion. I'm glad I watched a video and read the rules, as well as asking here.

Megasabin fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Sep 11, 2016

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

Megasabin posted:

Each food source counts towards dominance a number of times equal to the number of times it is on your player board. So an unmodified amphibian in a tile with one water source would have a dominance score of three. If there are say.. two meat sources on the same tile then an unaltered mammal would have a score of 4. If there was one seed then a bird would have a score of 2.

The number of cubes on a tile does not count when determining dominance. The bird could have 100 cubes, and the mammal a single one, but the mammal would still be dominating. The number of cubes on a tile determine the score gained when a dominance action is taken for a tile, and act as a buffer against people using the competition action.

quote:

As far as I remember, multiple elements of the same type in the regression box is the same as having a single one of that element when resolving (So each player would lose one source rather than 2), but would require two actions to block.... I'm a little fuzzy on that though.

EDIT: See above for correct.

quote:

The dominance/cubes not being interlinked is the big thing that trips people up. I've only played this a couple of times, so I can't give you particularly good tips. Try and be aware of your vulnerabilities, because the game gives big tools to people to go after them. Putting a lot of cubes in a single tile could leave you prone to big nukes, spreading out too thin will encourage people to use the compete action to wipe you out and stop you encroaching. The dominance action is really key, and you probably want to be doing it every single turn, so you want to make sure you have a reliable/very hard to attack area that you are dominating, then treat everything else you are doing on a turn as essentially a bonus. That might be terrible advice, but it won me the two games that I played... so good luck.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

deadwing posted:

FFG (through Asmodee) has an absurd amount of business partners for distribution who would surely take on a ton of product. They sell em to the distributors, the distributors have stock for the next whenever.

Manufacturing isn't as easy as saying "START THE PRESSES!"

Give cutoff date to distributors for final orders: 2 weeks
Manufacturing at their Chinese plant for 100s to 1000s of copies for the dozen or so products in their line: 4-6 weeks
Shipping overseas: 4-6 weeks
Fulfillment: 1-2 weeks

It's cutting it too close and any unsold stock would be destroyed at the end of the agreement. FFG said they would continue to support the products up until the date, including unreleased announced products, and they'll no doubt offload any unsold stock to major distributors.

Also it's not a question of demand, it's a question of if it's enough demand. Generally speaking 500-1000 orders would justify a print run of twice that number to make it cost effective and aside from the alarmists snatching up everything they can to hoard I just don't think there's any real demand being generated here. The average board gamer is probably unaware this is happening.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Turtlicious posted:

A review:

Hit Z road is painfully unfun, with no interaction and a lot of dice, where you're punished constantly for things you have no control over. It's by far one of the worst things I've ever played. I mean, maybe I'm alone but my group hated it even when we love zombie stuff like dead of winter and city of horror.

I gave the rules a read and that was my impression as well, but god drat is the art direction & production and consistency on point. For anyone who's not going to look, the art direction is that the whole game looks like it was made from whatever was on hand, post-societal collapse wise.

vvvv in a stylish, good way

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Sep 11, 2016

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Mister Sinewave posted:

For anyone who's not going to look, the art direction is that the whole game looks like it was made from whatever was on hand, post-societal collapse wise.

How is this exciting though? Rutibex has been making games that look this way for years.

Way to rip off a true visionary, Asmodee. :rolleyes:

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Based on you guys' feedback, I ordered Cuba Libre as a first (semi) wargame, and while it's in the mail I've been reading the rule book.

I'm early on, but based entirely on the fact that there are pieces called "Eligibility Cylinders" I feel like I just moved into a new city and realized I should have been living there all along.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I am also new to Cuba Libre and I have never played a game quite like this before; I feel very strongly that someone should have informed me about COIN games before :mad:

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Huxley posted:

Based on you guys' feedback, I ordered Cuba Libre as a first (semi) wargame, and while it's in the mail I've been reading the rule book.

I'm early on, but based entirely on the fact that there are pieces called "Eligibility Cylinders" I feel like I just moved into a new city and realized I should have been living there all along.

It magically combines the "gently caress you" of worker placement with, uhh, worker not-placement? Sometimes the twist of the knife is doing less than you could have on your turn.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Pretty sure some notable members of this thread have been harping on about COIN games for at least 2 years. :getin:

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Huxley posted:

I had that same feeling about hex and counter wargames and 18xx.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Cuba Libre is in my Top 5 favorite games right now. Falling Sky is #1.

CL is the obvious choice for where to begin. It plays the fastest, has the smallest map, and it's the easiest to get other people to play. But these elements also mean you have fewer strategic decisions.

Fire In The Lake is huge and deep and thinky, but I almost never play it because the "short" scenario just doesn't work.

Falling Sky hits the sweet spot for me as a solo game. Every faction is fun and different and Oerjan just keeps getting better at developing the bots.

I don't have the other COINs, but I've read that A Distant Plain is not the best for solo play, since the political aspect of some of the factions is what makes them so interesting.

And none of the others are currently in print!

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

al-azad posted:

Manufacturing isn't as easy as saying "START THE PRESSES!"

Give cutoff date to distributors for final orders: 2 weeks
Manufacturing at their Chinese plant for 100s to 1000s of copies for the dozen or so products in their line: 4-6 weeks
Shipping overseas: 4-6 weeks
Fulfillment: 1-2 weeks

It's cutting it too close and any unsold stock would be destroyed at the end of the agreement. FFG said they would continue to support the products up until the date, including unreleased announced products, and they'll no doubt offload any unsold stock to major distributors.

Also it's not a question of demand, it's a question of if it's enough demand. Generally speaking 500-1000 orders would justify a print run of twice that number to make it cost effective and aside from the alarmists snatching up everything they can to hoard I just don't think there's any real demand being generated here. The average board gamer is probably unaware this is happening.

These aren't fresh presses, they are games that have been produced before. Pre production units, molds for minis, etc don't need to be done anymore. A big printing for the Holiday season is very risk free.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

deadwing posted:

These aren't fresh presses, they are games that have been produced before. Pre production units, molds for minis, etc don't need to be done anymore. A big printing for the Holiday season is very risk free.

Assuming they can shunt them to the front of the print queue. It will still take months for them to hit US shores, and that's still cutting it close.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Mispost

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
On a related note, my copy of Forbidden STars came in today. Lookin' pretty good. It's now the 2nd glitziest game i own, but also the most embarassing.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Impermanent posted:

Lookin' pretty good. It's now the 2nd glitziest game i own, but also the most embarassing.

The glitziest game I own is Ladies and Gentlemen with the requisite costume jewelry for the "ladies" to really get into the part :smug:

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Do Tzolk'in's crystal skulls count as glitzy?

deadwing posted:

I'm also given to believe FFG knew the license would expire before they publicly announced it.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

djfooboo posted:

The glitziest game I own is Ladies and Gentlemen with the requisite costume jewelry for the "ladies" to really get into the part :smug:

That...is a really good idea.

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?

Impermanent posted:

On a related note, my copy of Forbidden STars came in today. Lookin' pretty good. It's now the 2nd glitziest game i own, but also the most embarassing.

Well don't leave us hanging, what's the glitziest one?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Dumb question but what games are hot right now?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Steam
Forbidden Desert
Hanabi

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Not dumb, though maybe a little vague.

Scythe, perhaps?

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

The Republic of Rome
Twilight Imperium 3
Rise of Empires

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
How good is Power Grid? Would it play ok with two or am I better off picking up Pandemic Legacy?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Seafall is certainly hot on everyone's lips but a lot of that has been lukewarm.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

The Boardgamegeek.com hot games are always shown on the left of the screen. boardgamegeek.com is by far the biggest hobby boardgame site on the net.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Toshimo posted:

Steam
Forbidden Desert
Hanabi

I guess I should have said "assume I knew about board games in 2014, what's new in the past 2 years that's good"

Countblanc posted:

Seafall is certainly hot on everyone's lips but a lot of that has been lukewarm.

Oh poo poo, that came out?

Jump King fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Sep 12, 2016