Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I'm sure this is a simple loving question, but Google only gives me leads on how to use torrents, usenet and iTunes with mobile devices when I ask this question.

Is there a way to just download the podcast automatically from the RSS, like, while I'm away? I know how to subscribe so that the little RSS thing tells me when there's a new thing up, but often times that's cluttered with just regular posts or whatever. I just want to download the podcast mp3 whenever it's released. Can this be done?

Edit: Specifically without having to use iTunes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

credburn posted:

I'm sure this is a simple loving question, but Google only gives me leads on how to use torrents, usenet and iTunes with mobile devices when I ask this question.

Is there a way to just download the podcast automatically from the RSS, like, while I'm away? I know how to subscribe so that the little RSS thing tells me when there's a new thing up, but often times that's cluttered with just regular posts or whatever. I just want to download the podcast mp3 whenever it's released. Can this be done?

Edit: Specifically without having to use iTunes.

I probably don't really understand what you mean.
Are you talking about downloading podcasts on a phone or PC/mac?
On PC, I subscribe to RSS podcasts and download them automatically with mediamonkey, which is a itunes alternative with a bit more freedom and options.
But to be honest I don't use it that much anymore. I download everything with overcast on my phone.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

mrfart posted:

I probably don't really understand what you mean.
Are you talking about downloading podcasts on a phone or PC/mac?
On PC, I subscribe to RSS podcasts and download them automatically with mediamonkey, which is a itunes alternative with a bit more freedom and options.
But to be honest I don't use it that much anymore. I download everything with overcast on my phone.

I'll give MediaMonkey a shot. iTunes has never worked on my computer. It will just close itself after about thirty seconds of being on. I've troubleshot the poo poo out of it, and I think it must be something that, I don't know, a full-system reformat might fix...which is due, but I don't want to take the time, since everything else works right now. Also: I loving hate iTunes anyway.

I have a PC. Basically, what I want to do is, when I get home from work, I want to have had my computer download whatever new episodes of all the podcasts I listen to, and then I can drag and drop them all onto my mp3 player without thinking about it. Otherwise, I have to go to the RSS page, check what's new, double-check to see if I've listened to that episode already, and so on.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Y-Hat posted:

It's unfortunate that Pardon My Take, the Barstool Sports podcast with PFT Commenter, is just OK, as well as the fact that he left SB Nation in the first place. If anyone has a truly funny sports podcast that isn't focused on hockey (I already listen a few of those), drop some names.

I'm also on the lookout for this, I have a couple more serious baseball ones, and yea Pardon My Take which is a solid 'eh, it's ok' like most of Barstool is for me, but I'd love some better funny sports podcasts to listen to.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

credburn posted:

I'll give MediaMonkey a shot. iTunes has never worked on my computer. It will just close itself after about thirty seconds of being on. I've troubleshot the poo poo out of it, and I think it must be something that, I don't know, a full-system reformat might fix...which is due, but I don't want to take the time, since everything else works right now. Also: I loving hate iTunes anyway.

I have a PC. Basically, what I want to do is, when I get home from work, I want to have had my computer download whatever new episodes of all the podcasts I listen to, and then I can drag and drop them all onto my mp3 player without thinking about it. Otherwise, I have to go to the RSS page, check what's new, double-check to see if I've listened to that episode already, and so on.

Having a smartphone and using an app totally automates this process, which I'm assuming is how 95% of people listen to podcasts. I bet there is a way to do this like the above poster stated but I can't see it being all that much easier than what you have been doing, unfortunately.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Podcast addict has an option for automatically downloading new episodes, which I'd assume is pretty standard for most apps.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
You kids with your fancy phones.

Thanks for the help. I'll just keep checking the fifteen rss feeds every day.

onionradish
Jul 6, 2006

That's spicy.
If you don't like MediaMonkey, there's Juice.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

How easy/hard is the transition from iOS' iTunes podcast app to the same functionality on an Android phone? (or can you even achieve the same functionality?) I want to be able to just open an app and download the latest podcasts from the feeds I subscribe to.
I'm not super eager to buy the most expensive phones, especially if it makes it harder to use headphones (as a podcast listener, these are useful), and while the iOS podcast app is clunky it's really goddamn convenient.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

sout posted:

How easy/hard is the transition from iOS' iTunes podcast app to the same functionality on an Android phone? (or can you even achieve the same functionality?) I want to be able to just open an app and download the latest podcasts from the feeds I subscribe to.
I'm not super eager to buy the most expensive phones, especially if it makes it harder to use headphones (as a podcast listener, these are useful), and while the iOS podcast app is clunky it's really goddamn convenient.

Pocketcasts looks great, is totally automatic, and cures cancer. Get it and never look back

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

So I am looking for other gaming podcasts. my criteria are 1: No longer than an hour to an hour a half an episode. 2: Somethings that is a bit more than "This week in gaming news" and 3: No Gamergators.

Same thing with comics, but more of a focus on non Marvel and DC books.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

credburn posted:

You kids with your fancy phones.

Thanks for the help. I'll just keep checking the fifteen rss feeds every day.
PocketCasts actually has a fantastic web interface for your desktop-computer-based browsing needs.

Edit: Nevermind, I failed to read beyond 'PC'. Yeah, physically transferring files to a device is a tad outdated these days, so you're not going to find many options that give the process more than a barebones implementation, if that.

Cugel the Clever fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Sep 20, 2016

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

BigRed0427 posted:

So I am looking for other gaming podcasts. my criteria are 1: No longer than an hour to an hour a half an episode. 2: Somethings that is a bit more than "This week in gaming news" and 3: No Gamergators.

I feel like most of the podcasts that do #2 don't do #1 well. Sometimes IGN stumbles upon a crew with good chemistry on their podcasts, that are typically kept around the hour mark but these seem to not stay together for very long.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

BigRed0427 posted:

The only comics podcast that I enjoyed was Giant Size. They mainly pick a character or event from Marvel and DC to explore, but they have episodes on other series, and regularly do spots to explore what's interesting from all the publishers on each episode. They also know what they're talking about without being snobs, and they regularly talk to people in the industry.

The problem is their out-put has slowed down, and since DC's been doing weird poo poo lately, that's kinda what they have to concentrate on.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

BigRed0427 posted:

Idle thumbs?

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe
Any good cooking podcasts? I listened to Splendid Table for a while back in the day, but I got kind of tired of it. I'm not really looking for fundamental lessons, maybe just a podcast about food in general. Trying to stay inspired in the kitchen at home.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

I'm a big fan of the McElroys-- MBMBAM, The Adventure Zone, and Cool Games Inc are my three can't miss podcasts right now. Is there something along the lines of their style that I could pick up?

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Invisible Ted posted:

Any good cooking podcasts? I listened to Splendid Table for a while back in the day, but I got kind of tired of it. I'm not really looking for fundamental lessons, maybe just a podcast about food in general. Trying to stay inspired in the kitchen at home.

Gastropod?

BigRed0427 posted:

Inkstuds?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

BigRed0427 posted:

There's various retrospective podcasts, where they usually focus on a single game or system or, I don't know, theme, or person. Retronauts is probably the best in that way. A Life Well Wasted is a very well designed podcast, but the dude only ever did a handful of episodes. Cane and Rinse is alright, if extremely dry (and extremely long, so...)

The Axe of the Blood God is an RPG podcast, and I really want to like it because a woman hosts it, which isn't really a criteria for enjoying a podcast, but I like hearing an opinion come from someone other than the male-dominated industry, especially since the ratio of men to women playing games is much narrower than it ever was in the past. But gently caress, the host annoys me so much. She's a journalist who specializes in an RPGs, she writes a column that my girlfriend apparently likes (I've never read it) but listening to her talk about RPGs, it'c slear she absolutely sucks at them. Conversations with people go like this:

Host: "I just don't know. I don't like not having party members."
Guest: "You mean, you didn't recruit this dude right at the beginning?"
Host: "Oh, I must have missed him. But anyway, I don't like how you can't fight with weapons."
Guest: "Have you tried equipping a weapon?"
Host: "Oh, I didn't know you could do that. Well, the game is too hard. I don't like how you can't save."
Guest: "Did you go to the menu and select 'save'?"
Host: "Why can't they make these things easy for everyone to understand?"

Fine, if you're new to RPGs, maybe you don't really understand all the kind of standards that apply, but then why are you running a very specific podcast about this genre you don't understand?

VVVVV That, too. There's quite a few sort of two-guys-talk-about-a-specific-game. WOFF does it best, I think, because the two hosts have a great chemistry and they understand how to keep the podcast flowing. Others I've listened to, the hosts tend to sound so unsure of themselves, with stutters, dead air, a lot of annoying chuckles, unnecessary interjections. I tried listening to the Hyperbolic Game Changer the other night. loving shoot me in the loving ear.

credburn fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Sep 23, 2016

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

credburn posted:

There's various retrospective podcasts, where they usually focus on a single game or system or, I don't know, theme, or person. Retronauts is probably the best in that way. A Life Well Wasted is a very well designed podcast, but the dude only ever did a handful of episodes. Cane and Rinse is alright, if extremely dry (and extremely long, so...)

There's also Watch Out For Fireballs!, where every episode two guys play through a single game (along with the occasional split ep where they do two games or a primer where they do a sampler for a niche like interactive fiction or game books) and then spend about 90 minutes to two hours discussing it in depth from a modern perspective, with the occasional exception like their annual WRPG/JRPG deep dive where they can spend two or three episodes discussing a single game like Fallout: New Vegas or Final Fantasy VII. I like it a lot and find the hosts enjoyable for the most part, I like Retronauts for the broader historical perspective but I actually prefer Fireballs because of how focused it is and the fact that they actually play through the game in its entirety immediately beforehand instead of just going off of their memories of reviewing a title years or even decades ago like a lot of the professional reviewers on Retronauts are wont to do.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Guy Mann posted:

There's also Watch Out For Fireballs!, where every episode two guys play through a single game (along with the occasional split ep where they do two games or a primer where they do a sampler for a niche like interactive fiction or game books) and then spend about 90 minutes to two hours discussing it in depth from a modern perspective, with the occasional exception like their annual WRPG/JRPG deep dive where they can spend two or three episodes discussing a single game like Fallout: New Vegas or Final Fantasy VII. I like it a lot and find the hosts enjoyable for the most part, I like Retronauts for the broader historical perspective but I actually prefer Fireballs because of how focused it is and the fact that they actually play through the game in its entirety immediately beforehand instead of just going off of their memories of reviewing a title years or even decades ago like a lot of the professional reviewers on Retronauts are wont to do.

Seconding this recommendation, the WOFF hosts also do a bad games show Abject Suffering (start at episode 5) and the D&D Monster Manual retrospective, Monster in My Podcast (released in bite sized five minute long episodes.)

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I listened to a couple episodes of Last Podcast on the Left on a recommendation, and I'm having a bit of trouble gauging how seriously they take some of the whackadoodle paranormal/conspiracy stuff. One of them(Henry I think?) seems to swing super hard between making fun of ridiculous poo poo and then going all in defending equally ridiculous poo poo. Am I misreading the tone since I've just listened to a couple recent ones or is he just really weird and spergy?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I listened to a couple episodes of Last Podcast on the Left on a recommendation, and I'm having a bit of trouble gauging how seriously they take some of the whackadoodle paranormal/conspiracy stuff. One of them(Henry I think?) seems to swing super hard between making fun of ridiculous poo poo and then going all in defending equally ridiculous poo poo. Am I misreading the tone since I've just listened to a couple recent ones or is he just really weird and spergy?

Ive been giving this podcast a try again too.

I'm not sure how far you are into the back catalogue, but I'm coming to the conclusion Henry believes everything that isn't monsters and ghosts and watches way too much History Channel.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I've only gotten back to June-ish and that's been picking and choosing, but it's good to hear it's not just me. It was really obvious in the recent Swiss UFO guy episode where he just kept laughing at the Swiss guy's specific claims but then getting mad when anyone would even suggest that aliens contacting people using psychic energy to offer them rides on their UFOs was absurd or funny. He seemed super credulous in the recent poltergeist episode too. I think I might just listen to the true crime ones and the obviously jokey ones like Ghost Cats of the South.

A Fancy 400 lbs fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Sep 26, 2016

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I'm only a dozen or so episodes deep into LPotL, another grating thing about them is the way that any mention of organized religion inevitably leads to some humorless, furious high school rant about how all priests are pedophiles and con men and it's just a 4000 year-old book maaaaan.

Especially when moments before they were cracking jokes about John Wayne Gacy raping and murdering dozens of boys like it ain't no thang.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Guy Mann posted:

I'm only a dozen or so episodes deep into LPotL, another grating thing about them is the way that any mention of organized religion inevitably leads to some humorless, furious high school rant about how all priests are pedophiles and con men and it's just a 4000 year-old book maaaaan.

Especially when moments before they were cracking jokes about John Wayne Gacy raping and murdering dozens of boys like it ain't no thang.

Wait until you get to the Asian voices. :allears:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Has anyone tried the "This is Hell" podcast? Wondering what it is like and if worth my time.

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
I love it! The only part I don't like is that a lot of them are long interviews by poor quality landline phone, which can be a lil annoying especially (imo) if you're listening at 1.75x or 2x. That show been on forever, go through the archive and find a guest you're interested in and give it a shot. It's worth at least one episode to give it a whirl.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
what's a good podcast in the vein of coast to coast am? especially something that doesn't take itself too seriously

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Relin posted:

what's a good podcast in the vein of coast to coast am? especially something that doesn't take itself too seriously

Kings fall am is a radio drama about a coast to coast am type show in a town where the stuff is actually happening.

Other than that. Last podcast on the left is usually marched out, but you have to be ok with rampant stupidity, casual racism, and homophobia.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Relin posted:

Best one I've found is Mysterious Universe, but that teeters on the edge of taking itself seriously and buying into the woo in places.

Minister of Chance
Apr 6, 2011
Not quite in the same vein, but I really like to recommend "Oh no Ross and Carrie". They test woo stuff and become members in cults.
It's funny and fascinating. They have an open mind, but are sceptics at heart.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Relin posted:

Seconding mysterious universe with the same caveats, though I just think they're savvy enough to know they make loads more cash by being credulous. Their back catalogue is way better if you can find it on sale or whatever.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Hey, if you're not listening to My Dad Wrote A Porno you should be.

https://soundcloud.com/my-dad-wrote-a-porno

quote:

Imagine if your Dad wrote a dirty book. Most people would try to ignore it and pretend it had never happened - but not Jamie Morton. Instead, he's decided to read it to the world in this brand new comedy podcast.

With the help of his friends, James Cooper and BBC Radio 1's Alice Levine, Jamie will be reading a brand new chapter every Monday and discovering more about his father than he ever bargained for...

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Mr Hootington posted:

Wait until you get to the Asian voices. :allears:

I was more offended that they were making GBS threads on Let Me In, not so much because it's one of the few makes that's arguably better than the original film but because they criticized the American version for having "lovely CGI" when the original movie they were praising had this piece of unintentional hilarity in it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmqQPyNsXpU

But yeah, now I remember why I unsubscribed last time, they're not really funny or interesting enough to make up for how stupid and abrasive they are. Especially when so many other, better podcasts have trod the same ground.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Yeah, I managed to avoid them from the skipping around but I just got to Leonard Lake and Charles Ng. Jesus christ, it's like a WWII propaganda cartoon.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I already listen to Revolutions and Hardcore History, and just got into History on Fire. Are there any other good, long-form, really in-depth history podcasts?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Since no one answered my question about entertaining general sports podcasts, I assume not many people listen to them here. That means no one has listened to how self-indulgent Real Good Show has gotten. It's seemingly become a podcast about itself- its last two episodes had no sports chat and were focused on bits that they've done and jokes that have been popular in the past. Hockey season can't come soon enough, it'll distract me from the New York Giants tire fire and give them an opportunity to talk about sports.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I listen to a solid amount of sports pods but they're all NBA/basketball related and I'm not sure I could characterize any of them as truly funny, couple dudes that might crack jokes sometimes like CBS Eye on Basketball or The Rights to Ricky Sanchez but even they are just like 99% serious discussion/analysis.
The Starters are more jokesters but after transitioning to a tv show most of their podcast eps except for the weekly "Drop" are just lazily making their tv eps audio only (which doesn't always translate well)...also IMO they're...just not funny. Honestly mostly just cornball these days. Like maybe Bill Simmons would be a possibility if you find that dude funny or entertaining, but I find him and Mike Rapaport pretty unfunny and lame af.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Like maybe Bill Simmons would be a possibility if you find that dude funny or entertaining
I'm an OG Bill Simmons hater, I thought he was obnoxious and full of himself ever since he was a nobody columni st for ESPN the Magazine in the late '90s.

So there's nothing like Puck Soup or Marek vs. Wyshynski for other sports or sports in general? That's a shame, but I'll live.