Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
My favourite SF:TM console thing is their version of Blanka which is just "dude in a Carrot Top wig and camo shorts who refused to paint his skin green"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Improbable Lobster posted:

It amazes how such a successful and beloved company can consistently produce some of the stupidest and most poorly thought out writing in the entire industry.

The new expansion pack, Legion, is actually pretty fun. That said, there are some stupid designs and concepts in the new gameplay that people have been telling Blizzard about for months in the beta versions, and it's only now that they're starting to clean it up because now it's several million players saying it and not just the entire closed-testing Beta group.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Street Fighter The Movie is just a lovely version of the best digitized fighter: Jackie Chan

Argyle Gargoyle
Apr 1, 2009

ABSTRACT SHAPES CREW

Can someone shed some light on what I found in this box I bought months ago?
This looks like an IR sensor for NES controllers, branded with GO, which was the house brand of Radio Shack in Canada. I cant find anything about it or controllers that might go with it.

This has Nintendo molded into the plastic of the controller plug end and terminates in an 8 (?) pin connector. Looks like an official accessory was disassembled, the connector was probably plugged into a port on the PCB, but which accessory was it?

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

CHARIZARD used SMOKESCREEN
It doesn't affect GEORDI THE BLASTOISE!

Do not even ask posted:

Has anyone here replaced their voltage regulator in their NES top loader with a switching voltage regulator? I was playing River City Ransom and before I knew it, it was two hours later and my NES felt like an oven, so I'm wondering if it would be a good way to cut down on heat.

I replaced the voltage regular in my AV Famicom with this:

http://www.ezsbc.com/index.php/psu2-5.html

Seems to work fine and there's no heat generated.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I tossed Metal Marines into a Windows XP VM because 64-bit Windows can't run it (it has 16-bit stuff) and it looks and plays great at HD resolutions

It's a Windows 3.1 real-time strategy game where you drag missiles and mechs from your base to the enemy window to launch attacks, and they fly between the windows across your desktop and things explode.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

I may live in some kind of bizarre wonderland, but I've never had an N64 in my possession that had any stick dysfunction. Like, I've only ever seen it in the wild. Is this because I did not own Smash/WWF No Mercy/Mario Party? Or is there a different series of games that turned those things to poo poo and I just missed it somehow?

Those games must be it because I didn't play those games back in the day and all 3 of my controllers are still 100%, I'm sure there are other games as well. Heck, I think my wife said they used to play Mario Party growing up and the gold N64 controller she brought to the marriage is 100% as well.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
I dunno, I managed to grind down an N64 controller with pretty much nothing but Mario 64, Star Fox and Goldeneye back in the day.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

FireMrshlBill posted:

Those games must be it because I didn't play those games back in the day and all 3 of my controllers are still 100%, I'm sure there are other games as well. Heck, I think my wife said they used to play Mario Party growing up and the gold N64 controller she brought to the marriage is 100% as well.

You should really marry someone for more than their sweet blinging retro videogame controllers.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Argyle Gargoyle posted:

Can someone shed some light on what I found in this box I bought months ago?
This looks like an IR sensor for NES controllers, branded with GO, which was the house brand of Radio Shack in Canada. I cant find anything about it or controllers that might go with it.

This has Nintendo molded into the plastic of the controller plug end and terminates in an 8 (?) pin connector. Looks like an official accessory was disassembled, the connector was probably plugged into a port on the PCB, but which accessory was it?

Here is something that mentions it:
https://web.archive.org/web/20061024193207/http://www.user.dccnet.com/wrigter/index_files/NINTENDO%20to%20%20ZX.htm

Looks like Radioshack made a NES wireless controller. It's not a hack job. Also, that date code probably means March '93.

edit: er, I was only talking about the IR receiver. I thought all the pics were related.

wa27 fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Sep 11, 2016

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

d0s posted:

having a huge meltdown... and posting a photo of his dick?

From what I understand, this occurs on the Neo-Geo Forums several times a day.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Kid Fenris posted:

From what I understand, this occurs on the Neo-Geo Forums several times a day.

ok FINE I'll make an account there

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Argyle Gargoyle posted:

That's probably the plug end of a NES dogbone controller, if I had to guess.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I wonder if the MAME project is working on emulating the old Virtuality arcade games for use with modern VR systems

e: apparently people are doing this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JFP5OmKxVM

d0s fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Sep 11, 2016

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You should really marry someone for more than their sweet blinging retro videogame controllers.

Nonsense...

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

d0s posted:

I wonder if the MAME project is working on emulating the old Virtuality arcade games for use with modern VR systems

I was just wondering this but with that Sega hologram western game.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 41 hours!

Instead of an engagement ring, give a gold N64 Controller.

I would blow Dane Cook fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Sep 11, 2016

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I was just wondering this but with that Sega hologram western game.

Are you talking about Holoseum? Because while a cowboy was a character, it was a bunch of characters from different time periods in a terrible fighting game.

My local retroarcade has had a non-functional machine in it for about a year. I don't know if it's better or worse to get it working.

Edit: A quick check says that you were talking about the other Sega hologram game, Time Traveller.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
I just beat Target Earth and that game is cool but BOY is it fuckin hard holy moly. For being a dude in a cool robot suit your health just up and vanishes when you get hit, you die super quick.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
So I decided to go through some of my video game hording clutter and an currently testing a few dozen N64 carts that I'd never touched before. Dear lord this thing has the least appealing graphics/graphical style.

The only game I'd ever played on here was Zelda OOT and I remember really enjoying it, I'm almost afraid to put it in again now. Did the Gamecube re-release disc improve on anything or is it just an emulated N64?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

falz posted:

The only game I'd ever played on here was Zelda OOT and I remember really enjoying it, I'm almost afraid to put it in again now. Did the Gamecube re-release disc improve on anything or is it just an emulated N64?

It's not really emulated so much as very hastily ported using exactly the same assets. So if you put them side by side, I'm sure someone could point out "Oh, this is slightly different here", but it's essentially the same.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

I recall the marketing for GC OOT/Master Quest said it's higher resolution than the original. So 640x400 or whatever. It might support 480p as well (most? all? 1st-party GC stuff did). They didn't do anything about the horrendous framerate, though.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Animal Crossing for GameCube is an example of what a N64 to GameCube port looks like when it's not a rushed mess - being the translation and minor upgrade of the Japan-only N64 version. Which incidentally, was the only N64 game to have a real time clock chip in the cartridge.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Would playing Pokemon G/S/C via GoombaGBC on the GBA Everdrive result in a working RTC, since the GBA Everdrive has RTC support built in? I played it for a while on the GBED, but it was too much of a pain in the rear end with the RTC not working correctly.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ofecks posted:

Whaaaa? That's really disappointing.

I mean, when you think about it, the wii-u doesn't support N64 carts, and the Xbox one doesn't play Windows 98 games, that's the same level of generational jump

Much of the psx capital lectionaries is up for psp and Vita though if that's your thing

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

d0s posted:

What I don't get is why Nintendo didn't immediately port the entire virtual boy catalog to 3ds.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

absolutely anything posted:

I just beat Target Earth and that game is cool but BOY is it fuckin hard holy moly. For being a dude in a cool robot suit your health just up and vanishes when you get hit, you die super quick.

Now you can play it again as a remade Assault Suit Leynos on PS4/PC!

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004
I have a bunch of snes games that are yellowing unevenly. Basically the back more often is more yellow and gross than the front label side. I was entertaining the idea of buying a bunch of donor snes carts that do not have any yellowing to simply switch the back sides so the cart actually looks one color.

My question is do snes carts cases (specifically the back portion) have any type of unique ID / serial number like the game inside the casing does? Do the outside casings match up to the inside game id on the actual pcb? Will what I am thinking about doing affect the game value negatively in any way?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

The local retrogames meetup group closed recently, and I was thinking about starting a new one, but with a twist. It would be specifically a handheld gaming meetup. I figured it would be better since there would be less equipment to haul and you could meet in parks instead of people's houses. I really don't want some of those people in my apartment.

Does this sound like a good idea, and if so what games would be good? Def. MKDS, but I was thinking also the handheld Mario Parties. Multiboot games would be great, so not everyone needs the game.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

What I don't get is why Nintendo didn't immediately port the entire virtual boy catalog to 3ds.
I've been wondering this, too.

At least port Virtual Boy Wario Land, criminy

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

RZA Encryption posted:

The local retrogames meetup group closed recently, and I was thinking about starting a new one, but with a twist. It would be specifically a handheld gaming meetup. I figured it would be better since there would be less equipment to haul and you could meet in parks instead of people's houses. I really don't want some of those people in my apartment.

Does this sound like a good idea, and if so what games would be good? Def. MKDS, but I was thinking also the handheld Mario Parties. Multiboot games would be great, so not everyone needs the game.

I don't know if I'd go to a portable gaming centric meetup. It just feels so much more isolated than playing around a television. The television makes for a better communal experience even if people aren't playing at that moment.

_____!
May 2, 2004

RZA Encryption posted:

All I can imagine is this devolving into a swarm of people moving around like an amoeba interconnected by Game Boy link cables playing 16 player Faceball 2000. I see nothing wrong with that.

Seriously though that sounds like a great variation of a retro game meetup. There is also the bonus that it is more ambulatory with (presumably) less barrier to entry, as you mentioned.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
Does anyone know anything or have any resources on circuit board repair? My copy of Ogre Battle SNES was damaged about 10 years ago, and I finally got around to opening it up. On one of the corners, about a cm of the board chipped off. It looks like it split one small blue circle on one side, and two maybe one smaller circles on the opposite side.

I'm praying I can just super glue it back together and have it work, but I know that's not likely. I can certainly take pictures if that would help anyone.

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

Grevlek posted:

Does anyone know anything or have any resources on circuit board repair? My copy of Ogre Battle SNES was damaged about 10 years ago, and I finally got around to opening it up. On one of the corners, about a cm of the board chipped off. It looks like it split one small blue circle on one side, and two maybe one smaller circles on the opposite side.

I'm praying I can just super glue it back together and have it work, but I know that's not likely. I can certainly take pictures if that would help anyone.

It all depends on if any componants or traces were on the broken section. Broken traces can be fixed with wires. The broken "circles" are probably capaciters and are easy to replace. Post a picture and I'm sure we can tell you how likely a repair is.

Polly Toodle fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Sep 11, 2016

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
Here you go. As you can see, it didn't break clean it kind of 'shredded' off like cheese. I'm hoping the large amount of brown board means I can just glue it together. I pieced it together and it seemed to line up okay.

http://imgur.com/a/xClbV

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

d0s posted:

Out of all the good racers on the DC calling VP the best seems kinda.... excessive. This is a system with TXR1/2, Sega Rally 2, MSR, Sega GT, Super Runabout, F355 Challenge, Re-Volt, Crazy Taxi1/2, Hydro Thunder, Flag to Flag etc

Test Drive LeMans is really good too.

EDIT: and Speed Devils. Such a great console for racing games.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

falz posted:

So I decided to go through some of my video game hording clutter and an currently testing a few dozen N64 carts that I'd never touched before. Dear lord this thing has the least appealing graphics/graphical style.

If you absolutely gotta have a less-ugly version of OoT, get the 3DS version. It's superior to the original in every way, save maybe unless you want to do framerate-dependent bug-exploiting speedruns or something.

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

Grevlek posted:

Here you go. As you can see, it didn't break clean it kind of 'shredded' off like cheese. I'm hoping the large amount of brown board means I can just glue it together. I pieced it together and it seemed to line up okay.

http://imgur.com/a/xClbV

There isn't anything important on that piece. Should be fine with or without it. Have you tested the game?

EDIT: While you've got it out give the connector pins a good cleaning, they look like they need it.

Polly Toodle fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Sep 11, 2016

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

Miles McCloud posted:

There isn't anything important on that piece. Should be fine with or without it. Have you tested the game?

EDIT: While you've got it out give the connector pins a good cleaning, they look like they need it.

I did test it after removing that part. It didn't work. I noticed that it looks like the board got pushed in or something, and I've updated that link with some more pictures. The board doesn't feel loose but I didn't really put any pressure on the weakened board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

Edit: actually looking at the new pictures, it looks like there are broken traces on the board due to it being flexed and cracked in several places.

Monitor Burn fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Sep 11, 2016

• Locked thread