Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I just realized (full game spoilers) Phoenix has Edgeworth, Athena has Simon, and now that Apollo has Nahyuta, Klavier has no lawyer. Good riddance and hopefully he'll stay away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Full game spoilers:

Am I wrong or is Inga's motivation in the game Rayfa?

Maybe I'm not used to AA games being this subtle, but it seemed like the game was hinting at him being a good guy by caring for Rayfa and ignoring execution orders, but we never got confirmation. I'm thinking that the reason Inga wanted the founders orb, killed Dhurke and tried to betray the Garan was to keep Rayfa as his daughter. The only thing missing was some kind of indication that Garan intended to eliminate Amara and Rayfa after she got the orb.

Terper posted:

I just realized (full game spoilers) Phoenix has Edgeworth, Athena has Simon, and now that Apollo has Nahyuta, Klavier has no lawyer. Good riddance and hopefully he'll stay away.

Klavier has Kristoph.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Case 5, Trial Day 2, way way in: Amara :stare:

Good grief this case keeps delivering in ways I didn't see coming.

Also I love her animal friends. She couldn't possibly be the killer!

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

LostRook posted:

Full game spoilers:

Maybe I'm not used to AA games being this subtle, but it seemed like the game was hinting at him being a good guy by caring for Rayfa and ignoring execution orders, but we never got confirmation. I'm thinking that the reason Inga wanted the founders orb, killed Dhurke and tried to betray the Garan was to keep Rayfa as his daughter. The only thing missing was some kind of indication that Garan intended to eliminate Amara and Rayfa after she got the orb.

Klavier has Kristoph.

I mean a little of column A (his love for Rayfa) and a little of column B (hatred of Ga'ran) and a little of column C (Powerrr). He was still a huge dick, he was just also a dad.

And Kristoph is deaaad

Terper fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Sep 11, 2016

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
YOOOOOO WHAT THE FUUUCK (case 3 trial 2) AN ACTUAL LEGIT USE OF SPIRIT CHANNELING WHAT THE gently caress

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
what the gently caress,

what the gently caress

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

LostRook posted:

Full game spoilers:

Same full game spiolers. I was expecting his coup plot to be planted evidence by the queen, but I guess he really was a bad guy after all.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I spent the whole weekend away and now I'm ready to dig in to the game for real. I'll report back, I wanna read all the black boxes itt

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Kazy posted:

Same full game spiolers. I was expecting his coup plot to be planted evidence by the queen, but I guess he really was a bad guy after all.

That almost felt like a dropped thread. I spent the whole trial waiting for the he was really doing it for his wife/Rayfa!!! twist but nope what you see is what you get.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Case 5, deep in Trial Day 2: Dhurke no...

Figuring that out was a genuine gut punch :smith:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

My list of 11/10 animations so far:

Everything Bonny and Betty do (Case 2)
Roger with the cue cards (Say something dumb!) (Case 2)
Roger as Mr. Reus (Case 2)
Datz's henshin pose (Case 3)
Ema's thoughtful side wiggle
Rayfa having a tantrum
Nahyuta's desk slam (These are probably not spoilers)

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
The perp in case one loving owns bones. All the nifty things they do during testimony, the tricks with the sounds, it's all friggin amazing.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
*Case 5 spoilers*

Burning on in my heart. Fire.

Burn my love away. All away.

Like a bullet of love. Fire.

Take my life away. All away.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Case 2: I did not expect the office to get repoed so soon. And Nick and Apollo both freaking out on the phone was great, and Apollo getting confidence from their conversation was great :3:

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Shinjobi posted:

The perp in case one loving owns bones. All the nifty things they do during testimony, the tricks with the sounds, it's all friggin amazing.

Just finished the first case and they set a high bar with that witness.

I had a feeling this would be magical when he started singing all his cross-examinations. And then the prosecutor and judge started joining in after pressing his statements. And then Phoenix starts doing it... only to stop halfway saying, "Wait, why am I singing?"

I was wondering to myself if his breakdown would end with him smashing his sitar over the podium like a rock star. And then he broke out the amps and started doing shred metal. I was so horribly, horribly right.

It's good to know that the name puns keep getting hilariously worse.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I hope the Trial on day 1 of case 5 isn't as dumb as it's shaping up.

Yes, I'm sure the Dragons had a lot of motive to break their contract and kill Buff so they could steal the orb they were already promised. That makes sense, ya sure got me cornered Phoenix.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Case 2 spoilers kinda:

Did anyone find it weird that people were honoring a contract signed by a minor?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Kazy posted:

Case 2 spoilers kinda:

Did anyone find it weird that people were honoring a contract signed by a minor?
A bit, though Trucy should have had one of the many lawyers she lives with at least look it over.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

LostRook posted:

Full game spoilers:

Terper posted:

I mean a little of column A (his love for Rayfa) and a little of column B (hatred of Ga'ran) and a little of column C (Powerrr). He was still a huge dick, he was just also a dad.

And Kristoph is deaaad

Kazy posted:

Gonna give my two cents on this, now that I've finished the game: Given his and Ga'ran's personalities, it wouldn't surprise me if Inga was incredibly self-centered and not happy with his lot in life. The fact that he hatched his own plot to dethrone Queen Ga'ran, had a secret faction of subordinates that were loyal to him instead of to the Queen, mostly signed the execution orders as a means to relieve stress, and liked to flaunt his power and wealth point to that. The fact that he signed the execution orders mostly to relieve stress also point to how petty and dickish he is.

Also, in hindsight, it does not surprise me that he and Queen Ga'ran came to oppose one another. They're both incredibly self-centered, ambitious individuals, but Ga'ran wants to maintain the status quo while Inga wanted to give himself more power than he already had. That said, I think being the Minister of Justice also had a say in Inga wanting to change the status quo. From the facts laid on the table, it seems the job as Minister of Justice was stressful to him, something not helped by his propagnosia and back pain issues, and that he wanted a less stressful position where he could still maintain the power he currently has. In addition, a lot of the stuff issued by the Ga'ran regime seemed to benefit him personally, so an outright revolution was probably not in the cards for him either.

That said, another difference between Queen Ga'ran and Inga seems to be in their treatment of their adopted child. Ga'ran wasted no time abandoning Rayfa when it was convenient for her, but Inga, despite his propagnosia, appears to have actually cared for her. One thing that points to that is how he kept a picture that Rayfa made as a child at the place where he kept all his important documents, and Rayfa herself appears to be more attached to him than she is to her (adopted) mother. Another thing, though this is merely my own theory, is how he kept Rayfa in the dark about his more unsavory acts, almost as if he didn't want her to know about them.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

LostRook posted:

Full game spoilers:

I'm pretty sure the idea is that both of the rulers are jerks, but the queen is much more of a jerk than first seems and vice versa. Inga was totally complicit in Ga'ran's bid for power and the crushing of the rebellion, and he was obviously just an unpleasant person to be around, but he wasn't actually all that evil unlike the queen who's practically a supervillain. He actually cared about things like his family and the affairs of his country. Overall the impression I got was that he's a pretty simple man.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Well I beat it. God drat.

Full game spoilers: That final case blew me away. About the only twists I saw coming were Rayfa being Amara's daugher (obvious) and Ga'ran being the final villain (like... duh). But I was shocked by the Amara reveal, the Dhurke is dead reveal. I really thought once Amara was revealed that she and her sister were totally complicit in everything, because wow did she seem sinister during her cross examination.

The final thing to figure out was up their with the end of 2-4 in being unorthodox and satisfying to figure out ahead of time. They were very clever in how they hinted toward's Ga'ran's lack of spiritual power throughout the game without making it so obvious that you realize it well before you're meant too. Really cool sequence.

Seeing Apollo rise to such a powerful point was incredible! It's what the finale of AJ should have been rather than a wet fart. He's never gotten to have this moment of profound deeply personal triumph before and him being the single hero of the whole case 5 was amazing and everything I ever could've wanted for him. I'm so happy what they finally did with him.

What a fantastic game, up there with the absolute best in the series.

E: Also it occurred to me how Ga'ran and Amara are in some ways a repeat of Morgan and Misty. One sister with no spiritual power desperately plotting to gain power and supplant the other. Obviously it played out very very differently in the two cases (Morgan after all never did anything against her sister per se) but I thought it was a neat parallel.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Sep 11, 2016

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"
I just finished case 4.

It was filler but I'd say it was one of the better filler this series has had. It definitely isn't up there with THE CIRCUS. I actually enjoyed it a bunch but I also enjoyed watchiing Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju. Also considering how the story is going, the timeline and where Athena said Apollo was it makes sense for it to be where it was

Also the end of case 3 drat. I think it might be one of the most emotional finishes a case has had.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Case 3, Trial Day 1 question: I'm stuck on the third part of the seance. I've already figured everything up to 'there actually wasn't a wind guard on the lantern'. What am I missing?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Regalingualius posted:

Case 3, Trial Day 1 question: I'm stuck on the third part of the seance. I've already figured everything up to 'there actually wasn't a wind guard on the lantern'. What am I missing?

Think of the scene before he starts reading and after he finishes. It's a sizable amount of time.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Amppelix posted:

Is it this one?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1b_7kq9CdPI

I love it too, and I also love every character it plays with.

This one is way better, imo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1ut-eTUMrc

It's probably my favorite generic character leitmorif since AA1 (The one used for Butz and the pink haired woman from 1-2)

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

On a side note, having finished the game: I can't help but feel slightly smug that all the idiots who held to the unbelievably stupid theory that Damon Gant was Apollo's father have been proven so conclusively and decisively wrong. :v:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Think of the scene before he starts reading and after he finishes. It's a sizable amount of time.

Still going right over my head, sorry.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Regalingualius posted:

Still going right over my head, sorry.

Has Rayfa cleared up the visuals of the Seance yet?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Has Rayfa cleared up the visuals of the Seance yet?

Yes. I'm right after the part where Sadhmandi bullshits about the police putting the cover back on the lamp after pointing out that it was flickering.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Regalingualius posted:

Yes. I'm right after the part where Sadhmandi bullshits about the police putting the cover back on the lamp after pointing out that it was flickering.

You need to Look very carefully at every lantern that appears.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Regalingualius posted:

Look at the lanterns before he puts the sutras up compared to after he puts them down. Something has changed. You'll want to focus on the former for your argument. I also recommend brushing up on the layout of the crime scene.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I got to day 2 on chapter 5

:stare: I really hope this game sticks the landing it's aiming for.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Halfway through case 3.

Just saw the picture of baby Apollo in the rebel base. Somebody kill me please.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Apollo really is Raiden.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Kazy posted:

Case 2 spoilers kinda:

(Case 2 spoilers) You could argue that we don't know what the age of majority is in Japanifornia.

I'd have thought the lack of notaries and the fact that Retinz couldn't produce an original on demand (only carbon copies) would be huge issues too, but oh well.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

mabels big day posted:

Halfway through case 3.

Just saw the picture of baby Apollo in the rebel base. Somebody kill me please.

I'll say this about my spoiler (just my initial impression, and opinion): If the game pulls this off right it might just be the best Ace Attorney game ever, but if it doesn't, it could be complete trash and ruin the series. They're playing a dangerous game here.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Just finished Case 4. I don't understand a thing about rakugo but felt like I picked up what localization was putting down and if anything would like to see some performances. I looked up "Jugemu" and it sounds amusing, kind of reminds me of an old Dick Van Dyke Show episode where their son discovers he has seven middle names. But game-specific I loved seeing Athena and Blackquill working together. The moment Simon grabs Athena in first person was unexpected and really underpins their relationship imo.

Call me tumblresque for this but I'm also amazed a game used "dissociative identity disorder" and didn't disparage the character, dismiss them as "crazy," or anything like that.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Just finished the first half of case 5. A civil trial was something new, I mean we still got a man convicted for murder but y'know it was different. I feel like more could have been done with Phoenix as the opponent though, he's kinda of a pretty standard prosecution figure for most of it. Even if the moment near the end where Apollo pretty conclusively proves his case and Nick reverts to sputtering out half-formed objections before managing to make one hell of a stupid bluff and buy enough time for a recess, was pretty incredible and almost felt exactly like a regular case.

Also, Armie might be one of the best one-off witnesses in the series. She was great, and had some really cool parallels to both Apollo and Athena that allowed them both to help her. I thought it was really cool how it was Athena that got through to her since she also has the experience of having incredible trauma following her mother's tragic death and was able to help her out with that. It's also neat that most of the time in this game the Mood Matrix was helping with actual psychological issues, sure they were dramatised to hell and back but I still liked it.

Case 5 has had a pretty good start and have cemented in my mind that Apollo and Athena are hella cool and much better protagonists than Phoenix Wright at this stage. And I am glad they defeated their lawyer-dad (I guess Apollo's 2nd lawyer-dad since he has another) in courtroom combat. They deserved it.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Early Case 3: It's not falling into a river, or getting hit by a car, but back pain that incapacitates Phoenix Wright for more than a day. The struggles of getting older :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Amppelix posted:

I'm pretty sure the idea is that both of the rulers are jerks, but the queen is much more of a jerk than first seems and vice versa. Inga was totally complicit in Ga'ran's bid for power and the crushing of the rebellion, and he was obviously just an unpleasant person to be around, but he wasn't actually all that evil unlike the queen who's practically a supervillain. He actually cared about things like his family and the affairs of his country. Overall the impression I got was that he's a pretty simple man.

Full game spoilers: Well, the part I found interesting about him is that there's really no reason for him to consider Rayfa his daughter. Obviously she's not blood related to him, but it's not like he ever chose to adopt her either. His psychopath wife just chose to keep her around for political reasons. Inga could easily have come to see her as just another political pawn, but he chose to see his fake-adopted daughter as a real daughter. I think it's sweet.