Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Detective No. 27 posted:

Sounds more interesting than Batman forcing Damien kicking and screaming into joining the Teen Titans.

That was cool too though. Like a dad sending his anti social son to summer camp.

These days you'd think Batman would keep a better eye on his son, but I'm down to see how this goes. Teen Titans without Dick or Tim is going to be interesting. I know we're getting the Super Sons book eventually, but I wouldn't mind Superboy showing up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Detective No. 27 posted:

Sounds more interesting than Batman forcing Damien kicking and screaming into joining the Teen Titans.

Superhero day care. I love it. "Play nice, Damian."

Or I guess it'd be more like a summer camp situation. Between this and Super Sons, is Damian even working with Bruce at all now?

e: ^^ drat you

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
Kidnapping? That's so Damian.

What is Cassie Sandsmark's current status? I haven't read any Finch or the current Rucka WW.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I was worried at first that Damian kidnapping them would mean that this comic was basically just going to be Batgod: Damian Edition, but from the sound of things, it looks like none of the team particularly like Damian at all. At least, for now.

There was another interview that I can't find right now, but it had some more information about how the book was set up:

Each arc would focus on one character, the first being about Damian, the next about the secret, sixth member, then Raven and Starfire and so on and so on.
Apparently one idea Percy has had is have Klarion try to romance Raven. Along with it, they talked about how he wants to pair Raven up with somebody. Hopefully Beast Boy :)
They also talked about how they want to do a Trigon arc, but it's so overdone, and if they do it, they would have to do it with a ton of buildup.
He also noted Beast Boy and Kid Flash would be good friends, and Raven and Damian are going to find they have a lot in common (like the JL vs TT movie).

It certainly sounds like a step above the current series which seems to just be going all over the place, and Scott Lobdell's which was just plain awful.

As for the sixth member, I'm hoping for Emiko, since I feel like she'd be a good addition.

Dario the Wop posted:

Kidnapping? That's so Damian.

What is Cassie Sandsmark's current status? I haven't read any Finch or the current Rucka WW.

All I know is that she's currently being useless in Teen Titans, along with Tim and the new Power Girl. Beast Boy, Raven, and Bunker are the only characters that feel like they have any sort of personality and friendship between them.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Have they ever done an arc where Raven has to take Trigon's place, or rescue him from something usurping his power and really using it for crazy chaotic evil?

I think of the Trigon arcs as being big UGH NO DAD GOD WHAT IF I DONT WANT TO BATHE IN THE BLOOD OF THE LAMB JUST LEAVE ME ALONE DAAAD deals.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

FilthyImp posted:

Have they ever done an arc where Raven has to take Trigon's place, or rescue him from something usurping his power and really using it for crazy chaotic evil?

I think of the Trigon arcs as being big UGH NO DAD GOD WHAT IF I DONT WANT TO BATHE IN THE BLOOD OF THE LAMB JUST LEAVE ME ALONE DAAAD deals.

The first arc of Titans Vol. 2 had something like that.

Trigon was practically a rotting corpse, but I don't think that Raven actually cared. That comic was mostly bad, with a few good issues sprinkled here and there.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
This new Teen Titans run is the first time in like 15 years that I've gotten the feeling that DC actually understands what people want from this franchise.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
Hopefully not Trigon, Brother Blood, Deathstroke, or evil Titans from the future.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I think Deathstroke's largely contained to his own comic.

I think Brother Blood could be interesting, so long as it's not the dumb 14 year old version from Johns' run, although Scott Lobdell recently wrote the second annual for the current Teen Titans that introduced Sister Blood of all things, so maybe Percy should use other villains for a while, or make new ones.

It would be great if he introduced some of the animated series villains into the comics, like Mumbo and Malchior.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
All of that is being saved for the actual Titans book. :v:

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Well, the first arc is going to involve Ra's Al Ghul as the villain, so at least they're starting off with somebody I don't think has ever interacted with the team before outside of the obvious connection to Damian.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Bring back Dr. Light, in my opinion, he hasn't been used in a wh-*aide runs in from offstage and whispers in my ear* Huh? I....Oh. Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
How distinct is Raven from Adventure Time's Marceline at this point and can we just remove that distinction?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Message from Dr Light

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Kurtofan posted:

Message from Dr Light

Get your weapons ready!!

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I would honestly not mind Dr. Light being turned into a joke villain again.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
Or they can just retire the villain and use the Japanese superheroine.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Time for the glaringly obvious Dr. Light/Mirror Master teamup!

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Dario the Wop posted:

I was curious if she's showed up at all in the New 52 and

quote:

Kimiyo has not yet appeared as Doctor Light in The New 52 (a reboot of the DC Comics universe), though it is suggested she is the wife referred to by Arthur Light during the Trinity War storyline.

From Wkipedia

I really hope I'm reading it wrong, and that's not actually saying that she's heavily implied to be married to the villainous Doctor Light.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

The worst part of all the worst parts of Identity Crisis is the sheer nonchalance with which Dr. Light rapes Sue Dibny. I mean, my memories are hazy but isn't the progression of it "Man, I'm gonna fight the Justice League in their watchtower because I'm evil! Darn, they're not here, better go rape this woman instead." It'd almost be funny if it weren't so goddamn horrifying.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Roth posted:

I was curious if she's showed up at all in the New 52 and

From Wkipedia

I really hope I'm reading it wrong, and that's not actually saying that she's heavily implied to be married to the villainous Doctor Light.

Nu52 Doctor Light was IIRC either not evil or not particularly evil but then got murdered by Superman by accident.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

ImpAtom posted:

Nu52 Doctor Light was IIRC either not evil or not particularly evil but then got murdered by Superman by accident.

Of course he did, nothing good is allowed to last in superhero comics.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Roth posted:

Well, the first arc is going to involve Ra's Al Ghul as the villain, so at least they're starting off with somebody I don't think has ever interacted with the team before outside of the obvious connection to Damian.

I'm just making poo poo up, but I won't be surprised if Ras Al Ghul is assosciated with Trigon. The Demon's Head and all that.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Did nobody give DC poo poo over Dr. Light until this decade-abouts, or did just nobody at DC loving care? Because there's the Dr. Light stuff in Blackest Night and the Dr. Light tie-in for Final Crisis where he gets a bunch of hookers to dress up like superheroines who he then acts out rape fantasies (?) with before getting killed. It's like, they couldn't just let the single worst part of IC go, they had to rub everybody's nose in it over and over again and it made it all worse.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent

Toxxupation posted:

Time for the glaringly obvious Dr. Light/Mirror Master teamup!

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Die Laughing posted:

I'm just making poo poo up, but I won't be surprised if Ras Al Ghul is assosciated with Trigon. The Demon's Head and all that.

Well, Percy apparently wants to do a Trigon arc, but not without a lot of build up to it, so they could make him a pawn for Trigon in the long run.

Toxxupation posted:

Did nobody give DC poo poo over Dr. Light until this decade-abouts, or did just nobody at DC loving care? Because there's the Dr. Light stuff in Blackest Night and the Dr. Light tie-in for Final Crisis where he gets a bunch of hookers to dress up like superheroines who he then acts out rape fantasies (?) with before getting killed. It's like, they couldn't just let the single worst part of IC go, they had to rub everybody's nose in it over and over again and it made it all worse.

From what I remember, it was very hated by a lot of readers, but DC took a "gently caress everybody" approach with him.

At the very least, Johns wrote a Dr. Light in his run on Teen Titans that had nothing to do with rape, and was just him taking on everybody who had ever been a member of the team and Green Arrow.

It was pretty awesome.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I remember Captain Marvel Jr being fun in that story. I think they even make an Elvis reference.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
It's a lot better than that garbage in the previous Teen Titans run but that Raven looks terrible to me.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Dario the Wop posted:

I thought that's where they were going in Trinity War. I recall his wife being brought up and it seeming obvious, but nothing happened.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Roy trying to shoot Tim :(

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Toxxupation posted:

That assumes they think it was a bad story. Why else would they keep dragging it up from the garbage?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Trast posted:

That assumes they think it was a bad story. Why else would they keep dragging it up from the garbage?

I know that DiDio loves the poo poo out of it (didn't he list it as one of the top ten stories they did in the decade in 2010?), my point more was I'd assume they'd at least walk the rape angle back. Just because it's, you know. A super graphic rape.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Roth posted:

Well, Percy apparently wants to do a Trigon arc, but not without a lot of build up to it, so they could make him a pawn for Trigon in the long run.

From what I remember, it was very hated by a lot of readers, but DC took a "gently caress everybody" approach with him.

At the very least, Johns wrote a Dr. Light in his run on Teen Titans that had nothing to do with rape, and was just him taking on everybody who had ever been a member of the team and Green Arrow.

It was pretty awesome.

NEXT ISSUE: A TITAN LOSES AN ARM!!!

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
That was when Johns' writing was really good and TT was actually a solid book, though, and before the character started being all Dr. Rapity Rape Raperson 24/7. "The Justice League took my mind and fed me to their young" remains one of my favorite bits of dialogue from an embittered, fearsome villain.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

BrianWilly posted:

That was when Johns' writing was really good and TT was actually a solid book, though, and before the character started being all Dr. Rapity Rape Raperson 24/7. "The Justice League took my mind and fed me to their young" remains one of my favorite bits of dialogue from an embittered, fearsome villain.

I also liked the bit in that story where he faces off against Raven and tells her that embraces his own hatred and lust for revenge because he has nothing else left and more or less admits that he's ultimately pathetic rather than "badass".

I think the story that solidified him as "Dr Rape" was the One Year Later story from Judd Winnick's Green Arrow, which has him bragging about how stealing Kimoyo Hoshi's light powers was like raping her, talking about how much he loves raping women, and the bit where Oliver says something like, "Light, you are one sick gently caress," and his reply is, "Why, because I rape?"

Same story has a panel where Deathstroke has Black Canary at his mercy kneeling before him and makes her suck on the tip of his sword blade, IIRC.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I also liked the bit in that story where he faces off against Raven and tells her that embraces his own hatred and lust for revenge because he has nothing else left and more or less admits that he's ultimately pathetic rather than "badass".

I think the story that solidified him as "Dr Rape" was the One Year Later story from Judd Winnick's Green Arrow, which has him bragging about how stealing Kimoyo Hoshi's light powers was like raping her, talking about how much he loves raping women, and the bit where Oliver says something like, "Light, you are one sick gently caress," and his reply is, "Why, because I rape?"

Same story has a panel where Deathstroke has Black Canary at his mercy kneeling before him and makes her suck on the tip of his sword blade, IIRC.

Doctor Light doe not appear in Green Arrow during OYL (issues 60-75). Nor does the Deathstroke and BC scene you describe, he is standing facing Ollie and has a sword positioned in BC's mouth but she is not "sucking the tip."

You recall incorrectly.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
That Green Arrow scene did definitely happen in some comic. It was particularly cringy.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Look. It's easier to be outraged about something when you completely make up what you're being outraged about.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

WickedHate posted:

That Green Arrow scene did definitely happen in some comic. It was particularly cringy.

Entirely possible but it was not the One Year Later era of Green Arrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.
Yeah, Wheat Loaf, how dare you get it so wrong

It was issue 57