Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!

Some Numbers posted:

I'm in Roer in CS2.

Goddamn, Angelica is still completely awesome.

You had doubts?

I'll save most of my own observations until I'm done since I'm having a great time with it (in the middle of the second act now). I will say that the wardrobe DLC ranges from "metrosexual" to "ill-fated 'everyday woman' challenge on Project Runway."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Specto posted:

Sadly, it says it only reduces casting time by a third, like the Diabolos Gem. Still a significant cast time reduction though

But do they stack?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

epenthesis posted:

You had doubts?

Okay, let me rephrase: She's even more awesome.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Was gonna complain about Fie's outfit but then I noticed Gaius is wearing some denim chaps held up onto his shirt by some ornate clasps, and also he has shoulder belts. Traditional Nord wear.

Specto
Jun 28, 2010

Supremezero posted:

But do they stack?

Yup. with both of those the best mirage damage art has 6 delay. Adding a cast 2 and a cast 1 only reduces it down to 4 delay though.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Uh.

Huh.

What a wonderful Christmas, game.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Math time, on why Black Virtue doesn't really help if your goal is delay-locking. The Inflicted Delay on Arc Slash is 25 and by using up 3 quartz slots you can bring it to 37. If you use Black Virtue you're bringing the Delay Infliction to 43. For any reasonable delay-cost greater than 8 for Arc Slash they both give the same number of additional infliction chances per cycle, 4. Between 4 and 8 delay-cost Black Virtue gets you an additional 1 infliction chance. For a delay-cost of 3, it gives you 2 additional chances.By the time it does you're already at near-100% chance of continuing the delay cycle (above 99%). By the time you get Arc Slash down to 6 delay you're already talking a 3% increase give or take from its 1 additional chance.

Most of the time, you can do the same or possibly better just by equipping 2x +speed accessories on Rean to lower the Arc Slash delay-cost further. From the perspective of "am I equipping this to continue the cycle" at least, Black Virtue isn't worth much. At most, it's worth freeing up two quartz slots on Rean though I think you'd rather free up the accessory slot?

I haven't looked at the math on the cast reduction stuff but I think it's the same thing. Probably ditto for increasing crit beyond certain values too. None of these items are that great in the big picture unless you want to free up quartz slots in exchange for an accessory slot and I can't really see it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Decus posted:

Math time, on why Black Virtue doesn't really help if your goal is delay-locking. The Inflicted Delay on Arc Slash is 25 and by using up 3 quartz slots you can bring it to 37. If you use Black Virtue you're bringing the Delay Infliction to 43. For any reasonable delay-cost greater than 8 for Arc Slash they both give the same number of additional infliction chances per cycle, 4. Between 4 and 8 delay-cost Black Virtue gets you an additional 1 infliction chance. For a delay-cost of 3, it gives you 2 additional chances.By the time it does you're already at near-100% chance of continuing the delay cycle (above 99%). By the time you get Arc Slash down to 6 delay you're already talking a 3% increase give or take from its 1 additional chance.

Most of the time, you can do the same or possibly better just by equipping 2x +speed accessories on Rean to lower the Arc Slash delay-cost further. From the perspective of "am I equipping this to continue the cycle" at least, Black Virtue isn't worth much. At most, it's worth freeing up two quartz slots on Rean though I think you'd rather free up the accessory slot?

I haven't looked at the math on the cast reduction stuff but I think it's the same thing. Probably ditto for increasing crit beyond certain values too. None of these items are that great in the big picture unless you want to free up quartz slots in exchange for an accessory slot and I can't really see it.

You're discounting enemies with delay reduction here, where the delay bonus from +Spd buf and the additional bonus from Black Virtue are a big benefit, especially on nightmare mode.

It's not like MUST HAVE or anything but anything that reduces the chances of failure is extremely useful.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Sep 11, 2016

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Duvalie does own

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Is there any trick to this loving toad boss on the ship in Ark, or did they just give it massive defense for shits and giggles?

Death Priest
Jun 24, 2004

Justin_Brett posted:

Is there any trick to this loving toad boss on the ship in Ark, or did they just give it massive defense for shits and giggles?

Don't jump and keep hammering that attack button. It'll die eventually. Boss mechanics in this game are awful compared to Felghana and Origin.

Specto
Jun 28, 2010
NG+ stuff:gently caress this boss so hard. yeah, set up phys reflect/guard and arts reflect with 0 delay, sure. i don't feel bad about cheesing that thing at all.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

https://twitter.com/Zaggitz/status/774831777227665413

And I'm not even at the endgame yet.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Death Priest posted:

Don't jump and keep hammering that attack button. It'll die eventually. Boss mechanics in this game are awful compared to Felghana and Origin.

Did nobody think "hey, Catastrophe mode sort of breaks the game, maybe we shouldn't put it in"?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
ark of napishtim is a really frustrating experience with some really fun narrative moments

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

...Alright, just reached the reveal of the "Mysterious Cloaked Man." I'll admit that was a good reveal, Falcom. A good reveal indeed.

And what WOULD the Courageous do without its darling marshmallow mascot? :v:

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Sep 11, 2016

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Oh poo poo Gaius was taught as a kid by The 8th Dominion who dealt with the pillar of salt incident in North Ambria, Barkhorn.

Death Priest
Jun 24, 2004
Rise, great towels !

Specto
Jun 28, 2010
More NG+ stuff:Okay, didn't see that one coming. Also interested in the other 3 Divine Knights. I guess they're saving that for CS3

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

oh my god what's even happening

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

gently caress

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Getting the extra AP from (early game) Xeno and Leo was a challenge. I finally nailed it when I remembered I had a fifth member I could quickly swap in for a 200CP S-Craft. Fie is still broken as poo poo though, which is great. She's the best.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

badass game. biggest flaw is that lots of class vii don't get much to do if you don't do their bonding events

also its very much a middle game in a trilogy unlike SC, so keep that in mind

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Sep 11, 2016

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Levantine posted:

Fie is still broken as poo poo though, which is great. She's the best.

Yeah, Fie's insanely good. It's pretty easy to get her up to 80-90% evasion relatively early.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cake Attack posted:

badass game. biggest flaw is that lots of class vii don't get much to do if you don't do their bonding events

It's less cliffhangery than CS1 was I think but still plenty cliffhangery.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Some Numbers posted:

Yeah, Fie's insanely good. It's pretty easy to get her up to 80-90% evasion relatively early.

And later there is no need to stop at that. And there is a quartz that makes evade counters always crit....

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I'm in trouble, do I do another playthrough of Cold Steel One, even if I have clear save of most of everything on it and danced with Sword Woman but didn't do hardest difficulty? Because I really don't want to slog through CS1 again after seeing it all.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, the only thing Fie is vulnerable to is magic and that is why you bring out Crescent Shell and make her literally invincible as long as Emma can cast another one in that time frame.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

OddObserver posted:

And later there is no need to stop at that. And there is a quartz that makes evade counters always crit....

Think I'm currently at 95% dodge rate with Falco at level 4, so I suspect that it'll give an extra 5% at level 5 or I'll be able to get a better accessory.

Getting free crits on counters will also be awesome.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Crabtree posted:

I'm in trouble, do I do another playthrough of Cold Steel One, even if I have clear save of most of everything on it and danced with Sword Woman but didn't do hardest difficulty? Because I really don't want to slog through CS1 again after seeing it all.

If you hold cancel during cutscenes, they go at warp speed.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

CS2 doesn't give you anything extra for playing CS1 on higher difficulties, does it?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Some Numbers posted:

Think I'm currently at 95% dodge rate with Falco at level 4, so I suspect that it'll give an extra 5% at level 5 or I'll be able to get a better accessory.

Getting free crits on counters will also be awesome.

There's an armor with a 20% dodge rate if you don't have it already. Also Evergreen can be easily crafted.

Really Pants posted:

CS2 doesn't give you anything extra for playing CS1 on higher difficulties, does it?

Nope!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

There's an armor with a 20% dodge rate if you don't have it already. Also Evergreen can be easily crafted.

Oh duh, I totally blanked on doubling up on Evergreens. I think I'm trying to conserve my U-Materials too much.

I am a little sad that the upgraded weapons don't give Evade boosts like in CS1.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Crabtree posted:

no why would you do that

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Some Numbers posted:

Oh duh, I totally blanked on doubling up on Evergreens. I think I'm trying to conserve my U-Materials too much.

I am a little sad that the upgraded weapons don't give Evade boosts like in CS1.

Yeah, I wouldn't stress too much about saving U materials. The game basically throws them at you and the boosted weapons are kinda not worth it since you get new ones so fast anyway

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Cake Attack posted:

ImpAtom posted:

It's less cliffhangery than CS1 was I think but still plenty cliffhangery.

Wait, what? I thought it was a mostly complete story, which was why CS3 being made was kind of surprising.

Are the next three years going to be hell waiting for CS3?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I haven't beaten CS 2, but I have heard it compared to empire strikes back.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Some Numbers posted:

Wait, what? I thought it was a mostly complete story, which was why CS3 being made was kind of surprising.

Oh god no.

It's resolves some of the ongoing plotlines but introduces new ones. The ending is more resolved than CS1's "everything is poo poo, TO BE CONTINUED" ending but it's very very clear there is more to go.

Like if CS3 didn't happen I think what you'd see is the CS2 cast being a major part of whatever the next game is anyway. Rean at bare minimum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Some Numbers posted:

Are the next three years going to be hell waiting for CS3?

Its cool man, we have 3 other games to play before then anyway .

for everyone else, Finale spoilers:

HOLY poo poo OLIVIER TOVAL MUELLER AND NEITHARDT, I'VE NEVER BEEN SO HYPE.