Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

katka
Apr 18, 2008

:roboluv::h: :awesomelon: :h::roboluv:
Hey everyone just wanted to give a quick Farrah update. I just got home from work and my girlfriend told me she had just finished feeding Farrah and laid her down, but one of her eyes has opened!

She eats much more at feeding time now and sleeping for longer so I think she is doing good. I love this little fuzz ball so much.

I'll try and get a picture of her later today after I wake up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

katka posted:

Hey everyone just wanted to give a quick Farrah update. I just got home from work and my girlfriend told me she had just finished feeding Farrah and laid her down, but one of her eyes has opened!

She eats much more at feeding time now and sleeping for longer so I think she is doing good. I love this little fuzz ball so much.

I'll try and get a picture of her later today after I wake up.

Please tell me her full name is Farrah Pawcett

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Well done katka, have a cross post from the cute thread:

Chili posted:

Butterscotch's original owner reached out to us. They're not typically supposed to do this, but the SPCA asked if she could contact us, and we agreed.

We've been exchanging e-mails, turns out her mother was the one who fattened him up, but then she passed away. After that, Butterscotch was just too needy and they couldn't give him the love they felt he needed. They kept Precious (his siter) because she was a bit easier. She asked for videos and pictures, and was thrilled when I showed her the youtube channel.

Then I realized... hey, she must have taken some pictures herself...

you guys...

I'm kind of losing my poo poo over this. Don't mind me everyone, just a grown rear end man crying in his office.

This actually raises a question, however. A reunion seems possible. As much as I am tempted to have that happen, I'm worried that the whole thing would be heartbreaking. Since they were clearly bonded, I'm guessing they'd really like to see each other again. But, the thought of them getting to see each other, and then splitting them up again seems really bad to me and I'm worried it would be exclusively self-serving in the long run. There's no way any sort of exchange would be considered, he's our cat now and we can't take on a third, just not possible.

His old owner hasn't asked for any kind of reunion, it's just something I've been thinking about. I can't decide if it's something worth pursuing. My wife seems to like the idea but I'm just not sure.

Since this isn't the cute thread, I'm hoping any opinions may go a bit further than WE WANT THAT VIDEO. Help?

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Oh and a bonus exclusive couple of shots since this is Butterscotch's thread

Apparently, he loves dogs!

And sinks!

Looking forward to the day that he's trim enough to get up into one again.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Chili posted:

Well done katka, have a cross post from the cute thread:

This actually raises a question, however. A reunion seems possible. As much as I am tempted to have that happen, I'm worried that the whole thing would be heartbreaking. Since they were clearly bonded, I'm guessing they'd really like to see each other again. But, the thought of them getting to see each other, and then splitting them up again seems really bad to me and I'm worried it would be exclusively self-serving in the long run. There's no way any sort of exchange would be considered, he's our cat now and we can't take on a third, just not possible.

His old owner hasn't asked for any kind of reunion, it's just something I've been thinking about. I can't decide if it's something worth pursuing. My wife seems to like the idea but I'm just not sure.

Since this isn't the cute thread, I'm hoping any opinions may go a bit further than WE WANT THAT VIDEO. Help?

think you might be right. You are just a big ol softie though. It would be adorable and all but even the idea of even MAYBE making fatty catty upset would throw me off of the idea myself.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Chili posted:

But, the thought of them getting to see each other, and then splitting them up again seems really bad to me and I'm worried it would be exclusively self-serving in the long run.

I think this is the main thing. You're not going to be able to have them meet up regularly, it sounds like, and that's assuming they would still respond to each other positively (I'll note I also don't know how long it's been, so that may not have merit). If he was stressed out by the initial separation, I don't think reintroducing them only for them to separate would be the best. It's not like he's a person to whom you can explain how they can be in touch or that you're only able to go for that brief meeting.

It kinda sucks, but it might be best to avoid. You do have incredibly adorable pictures, though, and he's still giving you a lot of loving memories even as he is now. Avoiding one thing that may be temporarily nice for you but potentially stressful for him isn't going to hurt to avoid.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Proto Butterstare.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Good to know Butters' look of concern started young.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Good to know Butters' look of concern started young.

So funny that the look is recognizable despite the size and age difference.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

I don't usually think of kitten pictures like baby pictures but that is so obviously the same cat it's blowing my mind. :aaa:

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Babyscotch is the highlight of my week thus far.

Are there any modern photos of Precious? She's gorgeous!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Oh wow, early butterstare. That cat had seen some poo poo from an early age.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Oh man that's adorable :3: I hope you and the old owner can stay in contact at least enough to exchange pics.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I wouldn't try reintroducing old friends unless it was going to be a permanent thing, just because I don't think they'd still like each other at first. Remember that sometimes multi cat households have issues when one has been at the vet for a day or two just because they don't smell right anymore. I can only imagine the effect would be stronger for cats who have been separated for ages in different houses.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
When I was a kid, we fostered a big ol' black cat for a couple years. He bonded with a couple of my mom's cats. Some years later, his adopter returned him to us (weird, long, stupid story). He wasn't in good physical shape. The reintroduction went poorly. He and his (sole remaining) former buddy either didn't recognize each other anymore or just didn't resume their catpals relationship. At any rate, I don't think I'd recommend it if you're not keeping the sister.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Alright. My hunch has been confirmed. Thank you all for weighing in!

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

You know what you must do. Steal the Precious. Enjoy your Butterpiles :getin:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Ofecks posted:

You know what you must do. Steal the Precious. Enjoy your Butterpiles :getin:

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
I had a dream where I was fostering 8 tiny kittens. It was a good dream :3:

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

porkswordonboard posted:

^SneakyFrog's right up there, but I'm going to expound a little further:

This is completely my own opinion, but I don't recommend getting a dog if you haven't done EXTENSIVE research, have had them before, or spend a lot of time with someone who has one. Dogs, especially rescues, are going to be 10x more complicated than a cat, as well as more expensive. It would involve a LOT of your time. You'd need to have a decent savings cushion for adoption fees/food/accessories/toys/vet bills etc, time for walks, training classes, and socialization, daycare or kenneling if you travel, etc etc. Seriously weigh every one of those considerations before thinking about adopting a dog, and if you do, I don't recommend getting a puppy. I can't count the amount of times I've seen someone adopt a puppy on little more than a whim and having had a family dog as a kid, and the results can be DISASTROUS.

If you're dead set on a dog, try adopting one that's 2 years or older, as their personalities are more settled. Well-run rescues will be able to help match your living situation, energy level, and other considerations to dogs that might fit well with your lifestyle. I generally discourage people from glomming onto a single breed as The Only Option, because they you get people who don't want to take a lot of walks adopting Australian Shepherds, people who can't pay a groomer getting a Poodle, or people who think Chihuahuas don't need to be trained and end up with a bitey little shithead. If you're interested, I'm sure that people here would be happy to recommend a few breeds that might fit your lifestyle, but every dog is different, and breeding is never a guarantee of personality.

That said, and while it's 100% up to you, I think a cat might be a great choice, which is is awesome because cats rock! Most of the above advice is just as applicable to cats, too. Go to your local shelter and let them know about your living situation and what you're looking for in a companion, and if they're worth their salt they'll help match you with some potential friends. Cats are less expensive, generally much more adaptable, can be left at home for longer periods, and are still an awesome addition to any house. Anyone who thinks cat's aren't affectionate, don't care about you, or don't get as attached to you as a dog is so wrong it's almost funny.

Good luck, and don't forget to post pics when you get 'em!

This was all good advice. Me and my girlfriend and friend are all looking into what will set off the least allergies now as well as scheduling, etc. It's definitely not as simple as I thought!

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

ZenVulgarity posted:

This was all good advice. Me and my girlfriend and friend are all looking into what will set off the least allergies now as well as scheduling, etc. It's definitely not as simple as I thought!

glad you are spending time thinking instead of being dumb and impulsive about it. that's a great attitude.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

SneakyFrog posted:

glad you are spending time thinking instead of being dumb and impulsive about it. that's a great attitude.

Yeah, while I want all the cattos and doggos, I need to see what's right for everyone.

katka
Apr 18, 2008

Anoia posted:

Please tell me her full name is Farrah Pawcett

It is now!

Sorry I'm super late with this update but we've been busy. Anyhow so far little Farrah seems to be doing well. We got a scale and she is starting to put weight on quicker now and she has started to eat even more then she already was. It's a lot of work taking care of her, but its worth it!

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

katka posted:

It is now!

Sorry I'm super late with this update but we've been busy. Anyhow so far little Farrah seems to be doing well. We got a scale and she is starting to put weight on quicker now and she has started to eat even more then she already was. It's a lot of work taking care of her, but its worth it!

:kiddo: Lil cutie's eyes and ears are open! Is she still on an every 2 hours feeding schedule?

katka
Apr 18, 2008

I'd say its more like every 3 or 4 now. She has started to sleep longer before she wakes up screaming we feed her.

Also kitten Butterscotch is freaking adorable!

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

katka posted:

It is now!

thats a good lookin little squeaker you got there

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Does anyone here any experience with gums swelling in cats? Maybe something natural? I've heard lysine is good, Tibi's been put through dozens of tests and medicine and his swelling persists, part of it is his own fault since he chews poo poo from other people's trash cants, mostly bones, I've tried limiting his outside as much as possible but he still finds new and exciting ways to hurt himself, its driving me nuts, I'm legit considering buying a dog crate and sticking him in there whenever he wants to go outside, I'd like to leave him inside permanently but its just not an option.

Looking for anything here to help him out, he's still eating, I don't think he'll ever stop but I'm just looking for some solution.

This poo poo combined with the anniversary with Rocky's passing is really fraying my nerves. :smith:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Gums swelling? I've only seen gingivitis stuff in cax with tooth problems (like Poyo, who had a abscessed, broken tooth removed when we got her). I'm assuming a vet would've caught that during examination, but maybe not if it was only cursory...

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

RedTonic posted:

Gums swelling? I've only seen gingivitis stuff in cax with tooth problems (like Poyo, who had a abscessed, broken tooth removed when we got her). I'm assuming a vet would've caught that during examination, but maybe not if it was only cursory...

No it was fairly intense, x-rays, blood tests, you name it, even the FeLV test just in case. His teeth are 100% fine but his gums are badly swollen.

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

Alteisen posted:

No it was fairly intense, x-rays, blood tests, you name it, even the FeLV test just in case. His teeth are 100% fine but his gums are badly swollen.

Keep him on wet food for now, ideally something high-protein and high-calorie because eating's gotta be uncomfy and he needs to make the most out of whatever he gets.

Why can't you keep him inside all the time? I'm especially concerned about the trash bones; if they're poultry bones, those shatter super easily and can cut or puncture the gums. It's not remotely pleasant and can be really dangerous.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Alteisen posted:

Does anyone here any experience with gums swelling in cats? Maybe something natural? I've heard lysine is good, Tibi's been put through dozens of tests and medicine and his swelling persists, part of it is his own fault since he chews poo poo from other people's trash cants, mostly bones, I've tried limiting his outside as much as possible but he still finds new and exciting ways to hurt himself, its driving me nuts, I'm legit considering buying a dog crate and sticking him in there whenever he wants to go outside, I'd like to leave him inside permanently but its just not an option.

Looking for anything here to help him out, he's still eating, I don't think he'll ever stop but I'm just looking for some solution.

This poo poo combined with the anniversary with Rocky's passing is really fraying my nerves. :smith:

Both of your cats have names similar to mine, it's kinda eerie

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

cat_herder posted:

Keep him on wet food for now, ideally something high-protein and high-calorie because eating's gotta be uncomfy and he needs to make the most out of whatever he gets.

Why can't you keep him inside all the time? I'm especially concerned about the trash bones; if they're poultry bones, those shatter super easily and can cut or puncture the gums. It's not remotely pleasant and can be really dangerous.

I live with my family, mom doesn't want him inside all the time cause he starts poo poo with our oldest cat, I did wrestle the concession out of her to let him come in earlier and stay which is what I've been doing, he still finds ways to hurt himself even if I let him outside for like 2 hours or so like on Sunday.

And yea I have him on wet food, tuna as a treat and nutri cal to supplement as well.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
kitten thinks its a dog halp

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

SneakyFrog posted:

kitten thinks its a dog halp

Teach it how to fetch and shake!

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

Alteisen posted:

I live with my family, mom doesn't want him inside all the time cause he starts poo poo with our oldest cat, I did wrestle the concession out of her to let him come in earlier and stay which is what I've been doing, he still finds ways to hurt himself even if I let him outside for like 2 hours or so like on Sunday.

And yea I have him on wet food, tuna as a treat and nutri cal to supplement as well.

does the older cat back down, or does she give him a firm whap? sometimes cats just need to sort out their politics on their own. A kennel might be good too, with a towel or blanket over it so it feels more secure and keeps out the drafts.

how old is Tibi, anyway? and your feeding regimen sounds really good, I haven't used nutri-cal myself but I know we have some at the Hub.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The older just hisses at him, a few times they throw down but they haven't done that in ages, my mom is just very protecting of our oldest and I understand, he's 13 and wants to live peacefully whatever years he has left.

And Tibi will be 4 on election day, he's actually lose teeth already because of his dumb habits, he needed to have his 2 very back teeth extracted because they where twisted and cutting into his gums.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Have you tried Feliway?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
No, I'll try anything at this point, the only solution here is to leave Tibi inside for good, at least he's eating, loving glutton.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
I've heard nothing but good things about it. We're getting the starter kit tomorrow and are hoping that it helps with the conflict between our two here; they've been scrapping more recently.

The reviews on Amazon have got me hopeful. I'll be posting a trip report for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
It frustrates me because I don't give my pets human food at all, never have and never will but for some reason tibi has a taste for it, he really loving loves it, he gets incredibly aggressive if he's inside and I'm eating human food in my room and I lock him out, like he wants to get in, if my mom leaves the spoons out for serving food tibi will be up there licking them, if we leave the chicken bones out, he'll fish one out and try to get at the meat on it.