Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Hey, maybe this recall will wake Samsung up about how much of a PITA it is to deal with 4 carrier variants and decide to only do one unbranded model moving forward?

Yeah, I don't really think so either.

Samsung's customers are the carriers and it makes little sense to tell your customers to gently caress off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

A Reddit post claims they were told by Samsung (France) that they are going to brick the recalled Note 7 on September 30th.

That may only apply to that market, it's hard to say yet.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Hey, maybe this recall will wake Samsung up about how much of a PITA it is to deal with 4 carrier variants and decide to only do one unbranded model moving forward?

Yeah, I don't really think so either.

This is what they do in Canada. There is one model, ending in "W8". It locks to the carrier of the first SIM card inserted, but there is only one model number.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Changed out my Note for an Edge. I don't think this is going to be resolved anytime soon and the people at the T-Mobile store who had been told next week previously for new Notes didn't think so either. Of course for whatever reason anytime you do anything at a carrier store it took ages and no one seemed to know how to use the point of sale so who knows how accurate anything they say is.

I hadn't gotten a new phone since the Note 2 so I wasn't aware of newer stuff but this Edge is almost exactly like the Note without a stylus. No more stylus doodles but taking notes never ended up being a thing for me. Seems a little snappier. Only time I noticed the slightly smaller display was reading a book which is unfortunately a lot of what my phone is used for out and about (kindle at home), but it doesn't seem enough of a difference to be worth price/hassle.

Amusingly, this phone gets way warmer than my note did.

FuzzySlippers fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Sep 11, 2016

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
Is there a way to edit your default share options? The list of apps that pop up when you click "share" on a photo or whatever. Apparently I tweeted one thing at one guy 2 years ago and now google thinks he is my #1 share option when I try to share anything. More annoying is that options only pops up 3 seconds after everything else, messing up the order and making me press the wrong option of the time. Andriod 6.0.1 on galaxy s6.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Maybe you should send him something. Could be a great friendship waiting to happen.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Grumpwagon posted:

That is also the reasoning I've read in articles. "It's too big of a transition all at once"

Not saying it makes sense, but that's their publicly stated reason.

Here they were moved enough to just set a date for a few months down the track and just say "yeah, after this date signatures aren't accepted anywhere, get your poo poo together". Worked ok.

E: and this was like five years ago or something like that

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's not the retailers that are the issue, it's the credit card companies. Most places that have chip readers but can't accept payments yet other than swipe are waiting for the credit card companies to certify their POS terminals for chip. They are dragging their feet.

No wonder that they are too since more liability is currently on the retailer if chip isn't used. So, by delaying things, it works out better for the credit card companies since liability is shifted to the retailer

Really though, I wouldn't get hung up on PIN since that's small time stuff. Even chip and signature would have stopped all of the recent high profile compromises due to tokenization. The vulnerabilities that exist in tokenization (like the window that exists where the number can be reused) exist whether or not PIN is used.

It only takes two compromised ATMs to empty someone's bank account even with chip and PIN.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

bull3964 posted:

Android Pay still doesn't work very well with Smart Unlock. Unless you've unlocked with a PIN recently, it will fail payment with no real feedback. Real PITA with Android wear. I have to take my phone out, wake it up, forcibly lock it from the lock screen, unlock and enter PIN, THEN it will work. If I just pull it from my pocket and have it launch Android Pay on its own, the payment tries to process and just fails.

Thanks for this. I'd tried to pay with my phone two previous times at the grocery store and it always failed. Today I forced my phone to lock then unlocked it and the payment went right through, and was WAY faster than using my chip card.

Eikre
May 2, 2009

bull3964 posted:

POS terminals

I'll say! :haw:

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

So if I use my card through Android pay, do I still earn my rewards points like normal?

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

RZA Encryption posted:

So if I use my card through Android pay, do I still earn my rewards points like normal?

Yes.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Samsung is bad since they decided LED indicators were somehow a terrible thing to have available.i don't care how much better the screens are about power now it's a lot less battery to blink a couple LED transistors still. I'm still boggled

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
I think part of the issue is Chip + PIN slows down transaction time significantly considering many retailers decide to eat liability on a huge amount of transactions by not requiring a signature. I really, really did not like using my credit card cards for psychological reasons and preferred my debit until Chip + PIN debit transactions seemed to take an eternity, Chip + Signature transactions are way, way, way faster since most of mine are under the limit that triggers a signature.

Besides the real issue is cloning which chip (theoretically) makes extremely difficult, losing physical control of a card I imagine is pretty rare, people generally put them right back in their wallet and keep a pretty close guard on their wallets since they have ID and other valuables that aren't nearly as easy to replace as a credit card. I assume almost all cards that are lost are left at bars, retained for a day or two so they can be claimed or then destroyed.

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

Syrinxx posted:

Chip & PIN doesn't even exist in the US so tell any foreign person you know that at when you want to pay at a restaurant the waiter takes your card and disappears with it and they will look at you like all Americans are batshit crazy. Also 75% of merchant terminals don't even have the NFC portion turned on (yet).

However, at places where the terminal has contactless actually enabled, it works great.

I used Chip + Pin at a Walmart in western NY

it is a thing that actually happened

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Millstone posted:

I used Chip + Pin at a Walmart in western NY

it is a thing that actually happened

I am almost 100% sure you used Chip + PIN with a debit card.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

LethalGeek posted:

Samsung is bad since they decided LED indicators were somehow a terrible thing to have available.i don't care how much better the screens are about power now it's a lot less battery to blink a couple LED transistors still. I'm still boggled

What are you talking about? You can disable always on and there is still a notification LED.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Three Olives posted:

I am almost 100% sure you used Chip + PIN with a debit card.

I think debit cards issued by banks automatically prompt for a PIN to be entered even if it's run as a credit transaction

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

CLAM DOWN posted:

What about debit cards? Do you have Interac or Maestro there? Do you just use swipe for those?

We have Interac in Canada, in the states they use some weird "debit or credit?" option that involves visa and mastercard somehow, weird poo poo

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

It's actually better to run debit cards as credit since they can't withdraw money from your account without the pin, and as long as you don't expose that outside of your bank ATM you're safe.

They could still buy stuff with it if they scrape the card details but that's obviously less valuable then straight up cash.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

EugeneJ posted:

I think debit cards issued by banks automatically prompt for a PIN to be entered even if it's run as a credit transaction

You tap the debit key, it prompts for a pin.

You tap the credit key, it prompts for a Sig.

Nitrousoxide posted:

It's actually better to run debit cards as credit since they can't withdraw money from your account without the pin, and as long as you don't expose that outside of your bank ATM you're safe.

It's also better because your purchase will be protected by visa or MC from fraud among other things. If it has a visa or MasterCard logo, you should try to process as credit every time.

SB35 fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Sep 11, 2016

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I mean, Chip & PIN is tangentially related to Android if you really stretch because of Android Pay, but I mean it feels like there's been dozens of posts about it...

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

how do so many of you know so little about something you use so frequently smh

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Millstone posted:

We have Interac in Canada, in the states they use some weird "debit or credit?" option that involves visa and mastercard somehow, weird poo poo

I think some terminals are just hosed up, almost every terminal I use knows when I am using a credit card or my debit card but the one at the C-Store next to my house always asks me if I am using credit or debit after I swipe a credit card. I assume if you accidently select debit the credit card company screws you with a cash advance but maybe it just fails.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

In Galaxy news airlines are now forcing Note 7s to be turned off and stowed for the flight.

https://twitter.com/MikeIsaac/status/774994707587792896

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

nimper posted:

What are you talking about? You can disable always on and there is still a notification LED.

http://www.samsungsfour.com/tutorials/list-of-galaxy-smartphones-with-and-without-led-notification.html

I found this out while shopping around earlier in the year that they flat out do no put in a LED in a ton of their phones. I have no idea why.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Three Olives posted:

In Galaxy news airlines are now forcing Note 7s to be turned off and stowed for the flight.

https://twitter.com/MikeIsaac/status/774994707587792896

Yup, literally just got off an Air Canada flight, they made a special additional announcement before takeoff about the Note 7 :lol:

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

LethalGeek posted:

http://www.samsungsfour.com/tutorials/list-of-galaxy-smartphones-with-and-without-led-notification.html

I found this out while shopping around earlier in the year that they flat out do no put in a LED in a ton of their phones. I have no idea why.

Sure, but there are plenty of other reasons not to buy those phones, especially in a market that's saturated with low cost midrange options.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
I noticed the contactless payment symbol on the POS system in a rural Florida gas station, so I gave it a shot.

The cashier had no idea it was even a thing.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

I'm trying out the ZTE Axon 7 right now and it's...pretty great. Build quality is top notch but the capacitive buttons are dumb. Just give me software ones and more customization options. The camera is bad in any situation but being outside during the day. The speakers are the best I've heard and the screen is pretty good.

On the software side, I wouldn't bother with using any of the voice stuff and I don't know if this phone is ever going to be updated. The skin doesn't get in the way and there aren't that many duplicate apps. On the lock screen you have to touch a bell to look at your notifications and it's so maddening I installed Next Lock screen. There's no adaptive display, just a green-orange-red LED like the HTC 10. The double tap to wake screen and shake flashlight are almost useless, too.

Battery life and performance are really good so far.

Compared to the HTC 10 I'd take the Axon 7 since I had no success with the HTC's camera anyway and it's loving $300 cheaper. Compared to the Nexus 6p, the Axon 7 is so much smaller and easier to use with just a .2 in. smaller screen, better battery life and quick charge 3.0, too. The choice comes down to usability, USB-PD getting more wide range support, updates, and camera.

Now, the reason I will likely have to return this one is that it doesn't officially support CDMA. I'm on Verizon and it works but it says I'm on data roaming and I don't want to take a chance. loving bummed I'm locked out of this one, the OnePlus 3, or the Honor 8 but my parents still pay for my phone service.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Not sure how reliable the NY Post is, but they've reported a child getting burned by an exploding Note 7.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
Will the Galaxy S7 charge faster with the Apple 12W charger than the stock charger it comes with?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It'll charge the same at best, and potentially slower since I don't think Apple supports any of the fast charging modes various Androids use. If Samsung doesn't use any of those, then maybe?

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Samsung needs to send an update out and brick these things before someone actually dies.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

OhFunny posted:

Samsung needs to send an update out and brick these things before someone actually dies.

Then somebody would sue them for disabling their ability to dial 911.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

They could theoretically send an update that disables everything but emergency calling.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Jigoku posted:

I'm trying out the ZTE Axon 7 right now and it's...pretty great.

the capacitive buttons are dumb.
The camera is bad in any situation but being outside during the day.
the screen is pretty good.

I wouldn't bother with using any of the voice stuff and I don't know if this phone is ever going to be updated.
On the lock screen you have to touch a bell to look at your notifications and it's so maddening I installed Next Lock screen.
The double tap to wake screen and shake flashlight are almost useless, too.

it doesn't officially support CDMA.

*calls phone pretty great, posts long list of failures*

e: oh its a 400$ phone lol

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Blue Train posted:

Android.txt

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

They could theoretically send an update that disables everything but emergency calling.
How would this stop the phone exploding?

I actually wonder if Samsung could brick the device with an OTA to the point that it wouldn't even charge, even if they wanted to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Blue Train posted:

e: oh its a 400$ phone lol

There doesn't exist a device on any OS that doesn't have a long list of failures.